Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the idea is they got big exactly when SEO would start to become a big thing, and they have an almost-ungoogleable name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is SEO?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Google it, I guess?

Edit: ah ironically it stands for Search Engine Optimization

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Google it, I guess?

Edit: ah ironically it stands for Search Engine Optimization

Lmao

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The reason why October, November and December are the 10th and 12th months is because Julius and Augustus Caesar inserted their names into the calendar, kicking them all up two places.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samovar posted:

The reason why October, November and December are the 10th and 12th months is because Julius and Augustus Caesar inserted their names into the calendar, kicking them all up two places.

lol no. The year began with march

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol no. The year began with march

If that's true then why does the calendar start off with Oneuary and Twobruary, smart guy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is probably completely wrong for this thread, but I don't know where else to put it.
Today, I was talking to my family about an incident yesterday, where a man in our town got trampled by a cow with a calf, because some fucker had been letting an off leash dog harass some cattle with calves a little while earlier. He was just unlucky enough to meet an angry, frightened cow just after her baby was threatened.

I know the proper grammatical form is "he was beaten up by a cow", but I defaulted to "he was bet up by a cow" because it just feels more accurate. It's a fairly common hiberno-english conjugation.

You just got bet up, hope you'll be OK soon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For a while the Romans didn't even count the days for like 60 days in winter. So the year ended in December and then didn't start until March with nothing in between.

Presumably because doing anything during those notoriously harsh Mediterranean winters ö, when things might even get somewhat chilly, was pointless. Like you might need a light jacket when going outside.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They also did poo poo like instead of saying "the third day of March" they'd say like "12 days before the middle day of March" because they were assholes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Baron von Eevl posted:

They also did poo poo like instead of saying "the third day of March" they'd say like "12 days before the middle day of March" because they were assholes.

Makes sense when you consider roman numerals

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

Google it, I guess?

Well it's a gas station chain, apparently, but then I already knew that.

E: slightly amusing that "search engine optimisation" wasn't anywhere near the top results for me. Ha.

Also always thought it was a foreign chain, but SEO literally stands for Finnish Energy Co-operative so I guess I learned two things today.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Mar 26, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

finniSh Energy cO-operative

I see it now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pookah posted:

This is probably completely wrong for this thread, but I don't know where else to put it.
Today, I was talking to my family about an incident yesterday, where a man in our town got trampled by a cow with a calf, because some fucker had been letting an off leash dog harass some cattle with calves a little while earlier. He was just unlucky enough to meet an angry, frightened cow just after her baby was threatened.

I know the proper grammatical form is "he was beaten up by a cow", but I defaulted to "he was bet up by a cow" because it just feels more accurate. It's a fairly common hiberno-english conjugation.

You just got bet up, hope you'll be OK soon.

Where do you live where anyone says "bet up"? I have never heard this construction.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No need to get all het up about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Silver Falcon posted:

Where do you live where anyone says "bet up"? I have never heard this construction.

He is Irish, as am I, and it's standard. The clue was when he said "Hiberno-English" in the post. That being said, I don't really understand how it fits with "stuff you just figured out", but I appreciate the :justpost: energy of dumping the random thing stuck in your brain into the nearest thread

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

No need to get all het up about it
This, and also "What happened to Jonah? Got et by a whale."

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Failed Imagineer posted:

He is Irish, as am I, and it's standard. The clue was when he said "Hiberno-English" in the post. That being said, I don't really understand how it fits with "stuff you just figured out", but I appreciate the :justpost: energy of dumping the random thing stuck in your brain into the nearest thread

Oddly I've heard "et" but not "bet" used in that fashion. Apologies if I came across as hostile. I was really confused. Also I didn't know what Hiberno-English meant but now I do.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
an easy way to remember it is hiberno because Finns hibernate in the winter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

If that's true then why does the calendar start off with Oneuary and Twobruary, smart guy

It starts with Undecimber and Duodecimber.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

For a while the Romans didn't even count the days for like 60 days in winter. So the year ended in December and then didn't start until March with nothing in between.

Presumably because doing anything during those notoriously harsh Mediterranean winters ö, when things might even get somewhat chilly, was pointless. Like you might need a light jacket when going outside.

Yeah they had an intercalary month "Mercedonius" every two or three years to bring the calendar back into square (well, square-ish) with the seasons. The calculations for how long the Mercedonius should last was done by the College of Pontiffs but if you were rich or politically influential you could bribe them to change it around to fit your needs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah they had an intercalary month "Mercedonius" every two or three years to bring the calendar back into square (well, square-ish) with the seasons. The calculations for how long the Mercedonius should last was done by the College of Pontiffs but if you were rich or politically influential you could bribe them to change it around to fit your needs.

In retrospect the entire western world fellating the romans and wanting to emulate them should have been a huge red flag

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Yeah they would pay them to put off starting the year proper to keep their term limited positions and solidify their graft.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm looking forward to the reintroduction of subsidized time as suggested by David Foster Wallace.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

SEO literally stands for Finnish Energy Co-operative

In the EU there's an official ordering of countries based on their native language spelling called "protocol order". the names will be displayed in English but they must appear in protocol order, which is incredibly confusing (e.g. if you're looking for Austria, it isn't at the top of the list, it's right before Poland towards the end).

I always refer to it as Sfinland in my head for this reason (because I am stupid)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Platystemon posted:

It starts with Undecimber and Duodecimber.

Unabomber is my birth month

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ShimaTetsuo posted:

In the EU there's an official ordering of countries based on their native language spelling called "protocol order". the names will be displayed in English but they must appear in protocol order, which is incredibly confusing (e.g. if you're looking for Austria, it isn't at the top of the list, it's right before Poland towards the end).

Oh they use the absolute dogshit German alphabetization. Figures.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

It baarely fits into the thread criteria, it just was a minor realization for me that I used that non-standard word at all. It just feels right in some circumstances.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
So basically they thought up four interesting names for the months. Then got lazy and just used numbers. Then added two new months and gave interesting names for them. And at some point renamed two of them. What a bunch those Romans were!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Every so often I see someone mention a game called Betrayal at Krondor on these forums. So for the first time I looked it up. It turns out it's based in the fantasy world of Raymond E Feist novels. I remember reading a ton of those as a teen like Magician and Rise of a Merchant Prince and Darkness at Sethanon. I had no idea that there was an RPG based around those books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

Every so often I see someone mention a game called Betrayal at Krondor on these forums. So for the first time I looked it up. It turns out it's based in the fantasy world of Raymond E Feist novels. I remember reading a ton of those as a teen like Magician and Rise of a Merchant Prince and Darkness at Sethanon. I had no idea that there was an RPG based around those books.

I just bought the first one because I needed something priced at 5€ to get free shipping on an order. gently caress it's thicc, I'd forgotten why I pretty much gave up on faerytale literature after childhood.

Anyway it was an excellent game for it is time, apart from the things that were the shittest.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Prurient Squid posted:

Start of every single text box in that game posted:

The <noun> was <adjective>.

<character> <past tense verb> the <another noun>.

I actually really liked that game

There's a fun exploit you can do to get infinite money. Fully repaired crossbows sell for more than broken crossbows and bowstrings cost to buy. And if you sell an item to a merchant, they start selling that item with an infinite supply...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I want a modern remake with HD graphics so the developers/janitors/nephews in fantasy costume and wigs look even sillier.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, also, there's no quest log ingame, so you'll need to take your own notes. And you absolutely will need to, there are some fairly obtuse puzzles later on.

Or, I mean, there's always walkthroughs, which is what I used my first playthrough :buddy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, also, there's no quest log ingame, so you'll need to take your own notes. And you absolutely will need to, there are some fairly obtuse puzzles later on.

Or, I mean, there's always walkthroughs, which is what I used my first playthrough :buddy:

Also you can't rely on the automap.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Baldwins aren't Mormons.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

yeah, you added a second 'm'.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's Carlsbad Caverns. NOT Carl's Bad Caverns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
carl is bad though