Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m imagining him at the orgy with just the mask on, like how the luchadors in those old movies would just go about their lives wearing the mask with a suit or pajamas and a bathrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The best Marvel story about vampires is when Dracula took all the vampires to live in castles on the moon and, while they were there, Captai Britain revoked their invitation to Earth.

So, when they launched their invasion fleet of vampire space ships, and vampires launched from cannon like human inhuman cannonballs, they all burned up in Earth's atmosphere.

I've got fond memories of the What If...? where Wolverine becomes Lord of the Vampires.

While all this vampire stuff is interesting, please take the time to remember your friendly neighbourhood zuvembie.

Because the word 'zombie' was banned by the Comics Code Authority, Marvel used the word 'zuvembie', which I've just learned, was from a Robert E. Howard story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DC iirc had something similar going on with Azrael, Artemis, and some other EDGY antihero substitutes. (Azrael was at least purposely taking the concept apart given he got nuts and Batman came back and had to take him down)
These lists always conflate a lot of things. The original "you think this hero is old fashioned and stodgy? Imagine the alternative!" one was Steve Rogers being replaced as Captain America back in 1986-1987, which itself was a riff on the retcons in the 1970s that created new Captains America to fill in the space after Rogers was frozen; that didn't happen in the contemporary 1940s comics so "Captain America" comics continued to get published in the late 1940s/1950s, so they made up substitute Caps for those comics, most notably "Commie Smasher" Captain America from Steve Englehart's early 1970s run. Unlike "Commie Smasher" Cap, John Walker wasn't a full blown villain, so they had him stick around as USAgent.

James Rhodes was a weird case too in that he existed forever, was actually Iron Man for several years, then floated around as a civilian sidekick to Iron Man (who would occasionally suit up as Iron Man) for years after that. The "War Machine" armor was introduced as an alternate armor for Tony Stark, then a couple of years later the suit/name was granted to Rhodes and it stuck. Thunderstrike and various other Marvel characters seemed less like a "dark reflection of the original" and more "person who filled in and then stopped filling in and got a new identity, albeit one influenced by it happening in the early 1990s."

DC's whole run of the alternate heroes for the big names were largely following the Gruenwald Captain America model, with Reign of the Superman, Azrael/Batman, and Artemis/Wonder Woman all being "extreme 1990s badass versions of the 'classic' hero turning out not to be so cool after all. But they also spent a decade promoting Wally West to Flash, introducing Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern, Connor Hawke as Green Arrow, Tim Drake as Robin, etc. and none of those were criticisms/deconstructions/radical departures from the 'classic' version.

And Fantastic Force barely made any sense but was never meant to be an update/alternate Fantastic Four, it was just a spin-off in the same way that Justice League Europe or West Coast Avengers or New Mutants were.

Similar to how it's hard to craft a coherent "Marvel does it like this, DC though, they do it like THIS" narrative across decades and corporate/creative shifts, it's true that both companies have tried to revamp/replace/expand on their popular characters repeatedly over the past seven decades, for various reasons and varying levels of success.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

In Sega's defense after the mess with Ken Penders I can't blame them at all for not wanting Sonic to have emotions or relationships or anything.

dish. sonic drama is such a treasure trove of old internet weirdos

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

These lists always conflate a lot of things. The original "you think this hero is old fashioned and stodgy? Imagine the alternative!" one was Steve Rogers being replaced as Captain America back in 1986-1987, which itself was a riff on the retcons in the 1970s that created new Captains America to fill in the space after Rogers was frozen; that didn't happen in the contemporary 1940s comics so "Captain America" comics continued to get published in the late 1940s/1950s, so they made up substitute Caps for those comics, most notably "Commie Smasher" Captain America from Steve Englehart's early 1970s run. Unlike "Commie Smasher" Cap, John Walker wasn't a full blown villain, so they had him stick around as USAgent.

James Rhodes was a weird case too in that he existed forever, was actually Iron Man for several years, then floated around as a civilian sidekick to Iron Man (who would occasionally suit up as Iron Man) for years after that. The "War Machine" armor was introduced as an alternate armor for Tony Stark, then a couple of years later the suit/name was granted to Rhodes and it stuck. Thunderstrike and various other Marvel characters seemed less like a "dark reflection of the original" and more "person who filled in and then stopped filling in and got a new identity, albeit one influenced by it happening in the early 1990s."

DC's whole run of the alternate heroes for the big names were largely following the Gruenwald Captain America model, with Reign of the Superman, Azrael/Batman, and Artemis/Wonder Woman all being "extreme 1990s badass versions of the 'classic' hero turning out not to be so cool after all. But they also spent a decade promoting Wally West to Flash, introducing Kyle Rayner as Green Lantern, Connor Hawke as Green Arrow, Tim Drake as Robin, etc. and none of those were criticisms/deconstructions/radical departures from the 'classic' version.

And Fantastic Force barely made any sense but was never meant to be an update/alternate Fantastic Four, it was just a spin-off in the same way that Justice League Europe or West Coast Avengers or New Mutants were.

Similar to how it's hard to craft a coherent "Marvel does it like this, DC though, they do it like THIS" narrative across decades and corporate/creative shifts, it's true that both companies have tried to revamp/replace/expand on their popular characters repeatedly over the past seven decades, for various reasons and varying levels of success.

The Marvel ones in the 90s were all attempts to have titles that were like spare versions of the original hero. It’s true US Agent and Jim Rhodes predate the comics they got in the 90s, but they were for sure positioned in the same way as Thunderstrike and Fantastic Force with their solo titles. I feel like Tom Defalco was involved in at least some of them. Was he the editor then?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Vitruvian Manic posted:

dish. sonic drama is such a treasure trove of old internet weirdos

There was a storyline where Sonic, after being out of the story for a year, comes back to get dumped by Sally and rebounds to a girl fox that Tails told him he was into. Tails finds out, since they snuck around instead of saying anything, and gets pissed for a while. Then said girl fox cheats on him with an evil version of him.

And don't forget about the dragon's abusive boyfriend that gets murdered by Sonic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rudoku posted:

There was a storyline where Sonic, after being out of the story for a year, comes back to get dumped by Sally and rebounds to a girl fox that Tails told him he was into. Tails finds out, since they snuck around instead of saying anything, and gets pissed for a while. Then said girl fox cheats on him with an evil version of him.

And don't forget about the dragon's abusive boyfriend that gets murdered by Sonic.

also the robot bunny got sexually assaulted at some point

PhazonLink posted:

So is spider jizz radiation beta or gamma radiation?

seems like using a rubber should have saved MJ is it was alpha or beta loads.

If it was gamma, she would have turned into a Hulk, not a corpse

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You wanna turn Hulk all at once, not from the inside-out. That poo poo's fatal.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

Here's a good 35 part article about the whole behind the scenes of the Clone Saga mess:

http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com/LifeofReilly1.html

For what it's worth I liked at the time. Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider was cool, and Pete retiring with mary jane to have a family was a nice send off to the character.I also really liked the Spider-Girl comic that was the future of this time line.
Hey, thanks for this link. I remember reading the saga as a kid and probably have never thought about it since. Cool trip down nostalgia lane with added industry info.

What's funny is that I didn't have access to nearly all the possible publications, so I had to piece the story together from disjointed chapters from here and there. All I remember is a lot of dumb clone poo poo and embarrassing pointless characters like Judas Traveller.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Burkion posted:

also the robot bunny got sexually assaulted at some point

If it was gamma, she would have turned into a Hulk, not a corpse

I liked the theory that was floated at some point - maybe in Daredevil? - that gamma radiation will kill a baseline human, but for people with latent mutant genes, it activates them. That's why Matt Murdock got superpowers from having toxic waste in his face, why Peter Parker got powers, but why it can't easily be replicated with just anyone.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The best thing about Ken Penders was after he got fired, he claimed he still had ownership of the million forgettable echidna OCs he'd been populating the comic with for like a decade. The company claimed that it was part of his contract that all his intellectual property belonged to the publisher, fairly standard clause, except when it came time to present the actual physical document in court, they... couldn't find it. It and all its copies got lost or destroyed in a fire or something, so nobody could legally prove that the publisher actually owned any non-game character Penders had created.

This led to them having to basically reboot the series as they had to make a new supporting cast, and Penders went on to try and market his own indie comic full of sexy Sonic OCs that couldn't legally have Sonic in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I liked the theory that was floated at some point - maybe in Daredevil? - that gamma radiation will kill a baseline human, but for people with latent mutant genes, it activates them. That's why Matt Murdock got superpowers from having toxic waste in his face, why Peter Parker got powers, but why it can't easily be replicated with just anyone.

That was the thing from the Earth-X alternate universe series. Because the Earth was host to a Celestial egg the Celestials messed with ancient human DNA that made it so that humanity had this latent power that could get activated when exposed to certain stimuli. Therefore making humanity a defense mechanism against anything that would disrupt the development of the egg.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vandar posted:

No real icons or logos in the Marvel universe, no sir.

Just gonna shove these into a drawer somewhere real quick... :v:

It is actually a bit stupid that I can count at least 4 of those, which have been adopted by alt-right nazis or radical left. The political movements really have no imagination do they?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was also a thing for a while in the main Marvel universe in the early 2000s. The owner of Marvel was also the owner of the company making Marvel toys. In 2003 he won a court case against US customs that said because of their powers coming from a genetic mutation from birth action figures of the X-Men did not depict humans and could not be classified as Dolls which had a import tax of 12% and instead were toys that had a tax of 6%. After that there was an editorial mandate to fold as many of their characters under the umbrella as possible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like how there's so many spider-related ones.

Marvel: heard ya like spiders

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

It is actually a bit stupid that I can count at least 4 of those, which have been adopted by alt-right nazis or radical left. The political movements really have no imagination do they?

i would like to hear your hot take on those being adopted by the radical left

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, is Black Panther even on there?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thor’s hammer and the lightning bolt don’t count because those were neonazi symbols before the first issue of Thor was published.

What there aside from the punisher skull has been coopted by reactionary politics?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I would be VERY interested to hear what radical left movements have adopted any of those icons.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

I would be VERY interested to hear what radical left movements have adopted any of those icons.

Comrade Coulson Lives.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

Comrade Coulson Lives.

I heard he moved to Portland.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Marvel ones in the 90s were all attempts to have titles that were like spare versions of the original hero. It’s true US Agent and Jim Rhodes predate the comics they got in the 90s, but they were for sure positioned in the same way as Thunderstrike and Fantastic Force with their solo titles. I feel like Tom Defalco was involved in at least some of them. Was he the editor then?
I'm not sure if that's really true, USAgent was introduced (as USAgent) in 1989 and had exactly one four issue mini-series in 1993.

Thunderstrike and War Machine had their own series, and Fantastic Force existed as a series, but in terms of "having spare versions of the original hero" I don't know how true that is aside from the general spin-off/multiple titles thing that companies have been doing since superheroes were pretty new: Captain Marvel begat Captain Marvel Jr., Captain America and the Human Torch's sidekicks got their own Young Allies title, from the 1970s onward there are dozens of Batgirls, Spider-Women, She-Hulks, Supergirls, Superboys, Teen Titans, Team Titans, X-Factors, X-Forces, Justice League Task Force, Force Works, Extreme Justice, etc. etc. etc.

They're all from "the 1990s" but making it out to be a concerted effort or even a simultaneous one doesn't really add up, any more than saying that giving minis or ongoings to Sleepwalker, Slapstick, Clan Destine, Darkhold, Darkhawk, Hellstorm, Gambit, Annex, and Solo was a concerted attempt to replace all of the Lee/Kirby characters with new explicitly created under work for hire law characters.

Even when Marvel or DC are not introducing spin-off characters, the companies will pump out Deadpool/Deadpool Team-Up/Deadpool Corps or Batman/Detective/Shadow of the Bat/Gotham Knights/Batman Urban Legends/Batman Chronicles/Batman or whatever for whoever is "hot", which may involve other versions of the character or just the core popular character appearing in multiple books. Tom DeFalco was editor in chief at Marvel from 1987 to 1994 and while he wrote Thor (and later Thunderstrike) and wrote Fantastic Four (but not Fantastic Four Unlimited, Fantastic Four Unplugged, or Fantastic Force) trying to tie this to him and not the editors who came before and after him who did the same thing, or to the executives who explicitly pushed him to do these exact things, seems strange.

Speaking of those executives:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was also a thing for a while in the main Marvel universe in the early 2000s. The owner of Marvel was also the owner of the company making Marvel toys. In 2003 he won a court case against US customs that said because of their powers coming from a genetic mutation from birth action figures of the X-Men did not depict humans and could not be classified as Dolls which had a import tax of 12% and instead were toys that had a tax of 6%. After that there was an editorial mandate to fold as many of their characters under the umbrella as possible.
This is mixing up a lot of things in the timeline as well.

Isaac Perlmutter was one of the owners of Toy Biz, who started making Marvel toys in 1990. In 1994 they filed a claim that superheroes were not "humans" and therefore subject to a lower tariff for "Toys representing animals or non-human creatures (for example, robots and monsters)" than for "Dolls representing only human beings and parts and accessories thereof". Why that's the tariff schedule I have no idea. But Toy Biz started pushing for it in 1994, long before they ended up owning Marvel post-bankruptcy, and almost a decade before the final ruling came through. The final ruling is kind of crazy and in-depth, going through figure by figure and determining that despite not being explicitly superhuman, Mole Man and Kingpin are 'grotesque' enough that they count as monsters or supernatural creatures, but other figures (Punisher, Invisible Woman, Professor X, Bishop, etc.) count as "dolls" because from all appearances they're just regular human being dolls.

So the "these action figures aren't actually humans, they're mutants!" thing was "they're superhumans" and not "mutants", and predated Perlmutter owning Marvel. It also wasn't long after this ruling that Perlmutter pumped the brakes (but never came close to canceling or minimizing, despite frequent claims) the X-Men franchise since Marvel didn't have the movie rights to the characters, but that's an entirely separate thing. The biggest "editorial mandate" there was to pull characters out of being mutants, most notably Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Squirrel Girl, and some other folks I'm forgetting about, so that they didn't fall under the overbroad "Fox gets to make movies out of mutant characters" contract.

The "X is actually a mutant!" thing was most prevalent before any of this, in the 1980s when the Marvel Universe handbooks started coming out and Gruenwald/Sanderson/et al were trying to actually explain everyone's powers. They came up with a "mutant" versus "mutate" rule where someone literally born with their powers is a "mutant", but people who gained powers from external sources that might have otherwise killed them were "mutates". This sort of gets pushed to the forefront/ignored by various regimes/editors/writers over the decades, though it was pushed hard in Earth X. But the late 1980s were also the period where they added "The Mutant Misadventures" prefix to Cloak & Dagger's series in an attempt to goose sales, even though they were very much "mutates", and the overall popularity/spin-off madness of the X-Men franchise led to a cheeky "The Non-Mutant Superhero!" tag on Spider-Man books for a little while.

Edge & Christian has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Mar 26, 2022

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

HopperUK posted:

This is just the plot to resident evil 5 except with less boulder punching

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockman Reserve posted:

to be fair I had entirely forgotten that this plotline was in Reign at all and was referring to the side/alternate story from amazing spider-man issue 700, where the main (insane) story is about peter dying in doc ock's body after they switched brains, and is pretty much immediately followed with six or seven pages of elderly peter weeping about his killer sperm

yea obviously 'major plotline' was hyperbole for funny yuck yuck times but it did last way longer than 'spider-man's cum is radioactive' should have lasted, which is zero issues but if we absolutely must do it it should be a throwaway thing in one issue at most.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s funny about the cum thing is Reign is a pretty serious story about an old and broken Peter trying to move on.

Making the cum thing really out of place

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny about the cum thing

I may have to start reading more comics

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny about the cum thing is Reign is a pretty serious story about an old and broken Peter trying to move on.

Making the cum thing really out of place

It's the sort of thing where you see the thematic point (Peter is literally toxic and his relationship killed his wife, giving him turbo guilt) but there's just no way to do it that isn't going to lead to the reader thinking the words "radioactive spider cum" which is... not going to work.

Though Spider-Man as a puberty metaphor ain't a new idea, and there's a story that Ditko got the idea for webshooters from a colleague he shared a studio with, who drew hardcore bondage comics. It's a probably not true story, but Spider-Man does have a strong enough connection to sticky white stuff that you can see why "radioactive spider cum" is an idea a writer could latch on to.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Turns out Spider-Man gets his superpowers from NoFap

Gotta store up the radioactivity

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm so glad I never got into comics.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Isaac Pearl-nutter

Lmao

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm so glad I never got into comics.
Why?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comics are like any fiction really. Some good, some bad, some batshit insane

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Precambrian posted:

It's the sort of thing where you see the thematic point (Peter is literally toxic and his relationship killed his wife, giving him turbo guilt) but there's just no way to do it that isn't going to lead to the reader thinking the words "radioactive spider cum" which is... not going to work.

They could have just said that it turns out Peter became mildly radioactive after getting bitten and it wasn't really enough to affect most people but because he lived with MJ she was exposed to it a lot more and got cancer. But that's not as edgy or as memorable as radioactive spider cum

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comics are like any fiction really. Some good, some bad, some batshit insane

What's the over/under on comic writers/artists being revealed after their death to be secret no-poo poo nazis or white supremacists?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

What's the over/under on comic writers/artists being revealed after their death to be secret no-poo poo nazis or white supremacists?

Neo Nazis? None. racists? Some

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oh gawd, not Coulsun, he only had 1 day until retirement.

-no one

coulson was the main character of a show that ran for 136 episodes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve met dozens of people in my life and not a single one has ever watched Agents of Shield

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kit Walker posted:

They could have just said that it turns out Peter became mildly radioactive after getting bitten and it wasn't really enough to affect most people but because he lived with MJ she was exposed to it a lot more and got cancer. But that's not as edgy or as memorable as radioactive spider cum
That's... basically what the comic said?

Here are the two pages that talk about Mary Jane dying of cancer. Two pages from an out of continuity mini-series published in 2008.

That's it. Two pages out of 22 in the fifth best-selling Spider-Man title of the month fifteen years ago. Does it imply that Spider-Man's semen (and I guess sweat, saliva, piss, poo poo, vomit, tears, lymph, bile, snot, etc.) is radioactive? Yes. Is it a mini-series about Spider-jizz leaking out massive cum-radiation with ejaculate dripping from every big load of dialogue? Maybe that's the other version everyone in here has read, along with the other comics that don't actually exist that have referenced this since then.

There is actually more comic book content in print about Spider-Man beating Mary Jane and/or trying to kill her then there about his deadly spidercumjizzspunklol. There was more time spent on the page where he had to teach a God how to poop. There's more textual history of Spider-Man (and Batman) pissing or making GBS threads themselves than what is posted above.

So my real question is, knowing that Spider-Man is a wifebeater with a demonstrable interest in poo poo and piss play, how do we know he didn't poison Mary Jane by beating her until his knuckles bled into her wounds? Or by bathroom play in the bedroom? I think the text supports all of them equally.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Edge & Christian posted:

That's... basically what the comic said?

Here are the two pages that talk about Mary Jane dying of cancer. Two pages from an out of continuity mini-series published in 2008.

That's it. Two pages out of 22 in the fifth best-selling Spider-Man title of the month fifteen years ago. Does it imply that Spider-Man's semen (and I guess sweat, saliva, piss, poo poo, vomit, tears, lymph, bile, snot, etc.) is radioactive? Yes. Is it a mini-series about Spider-jizz leaking out massive cum-radiation with ejaculate dripping from every big load of dialogue? Maybe that's the other version everyone in here has read, along with the other comics that don't actually exist that have referenced this since then.

There is actually more comic book content in print about Spider-Man beating Mary Jane and/or trying to kill her then there about his deadly spidercumjizzspunklol. There was more time spent on the page where he had to teach a God how to poop. There's more textual history of Spider-Man (and Batman) pissing or making GBS threads themselves than what is posted above.

So my real question is, knowing that Spider-Man is a wifebeater with a demonstrable interest in poo poo and piss play, how do we know he didn't poison Mary Jane by beating her until his knuckles bled into her wounds? Or by bathroom play in the bedroom? I think the text supports all of them equally.

One of those things is funny to talk about and the others are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

I’ve met dozens of people in my life and not a single one has ever watched Agents of Shield

more like oldskyeless