Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Surely you could give a fellow gamer the courtesy of a couple paragraphs of your knowledge? What do you mean?

How about an itemized list. People have said a 43 inch 4K TV might not be big enough to be a worthwhile difference. Is that part bollocks? People have said lower res video looks worse on it. Somebody on this thread said Switch games look worse on it. Which items are bollocks, and in what way, and why?

4K TVs don’t make stuff look worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hey I knew what I was signing up for. It’s my machine that I got to play the Marios and the Zeldas and whatnot on. I was not expecting a technical tour de force. It’s cool that it’s a hybrid portable. I understand that the hardware was never intended for maximum graphics and poo poo.

I’m just saying I’d be a total mark for a theoretical Switch Pro because I do use a 4K tv and more often than not prefer to play docked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bug Squash posted:

I don't expect high fidelity 60fps graphics, because that's not it's intended function. You might as well get angry that the gameboy can't run Crysis.
This is a bad take. Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion aside, the Switch is really starting to show its age where even first party titles can't art design their way out of it. Wishing I could play a beautiful and fun game like Kirby in crisp and smooth 60fps isn't exactly asking for the moon. The Switch was old when it came out, and great games are suffering because of it now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just wait til botw2 comes out :hehe:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ccant play Kerby if not 60fps literally throwing up in my mouth at this u playable mess ugh nin4endo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Do people think consoles slow down when they get older or something, late in a console lifespan is when performance should improve because developers get better at developing for it.

The device is entirely capable of running games like Kirby well, it's hard to just go "well its old" when older games run better and look better lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm just sayin my Switch games all look great on my 4K. Smash Ultimate looks so clean and crisp

Also Kirby is good

Edit: are there stairs in your mouth

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 26, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What size, any deets or recommendations?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4K TVs don’t make stuff look worse

I'd be happy to be in that boat, but not everybody agrees. Lots of people complain about lower res stuff looking bad on their huge 4KTVs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Do people think consoles slow down when they get older or something, late in a console lifespan is when performance should improve because developers get better at developing for it.

The device is entirely capable of running games like Kirby well, it's hard to just go "well its old" when older games run better and look better lol

Are we getting to the point that not even first party devs are competent.

The switch can not fail, only be failed

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Heavy Metal posted:

Not a bad strat!

I hear 4K makes stuff look worse a lot, my interest in a 4K TV is pretty low. I'm loving vintage anime in 480p etc at the moment, that stuff still looks good on my ol' 1080p HDTV. I'd rather not have 4K content than have most of entertainment history look worse.

Plus the smallest size 4K TV is a little bigger than I need, a 40 inch TV is good for my space. 43 is the smallest and they say that's kind of a pointless upgrade unless you get a bigger one etc.

Just seems kooky that the expensive thingy makes things look worse. Plus the game consoles can't really handle 4K anyway, they do checkerboard upscaling wackiness. Maybe they should've gone with a halfstep between 1080P and 4K for the new TV standard instead. 4K is used at movie theaters. How many pixels do we need?

Kirby looks good on my TV. Also I play vintage games and I think anti-aliasing is optional, a little aliasing builds character. And I like to see the pixels when I play DOOM and Super Mario World. But I know some like to blur those or use filters in emulators, not me. Pixels, polygons, doodads, show me the goods.

Resetera is thata way sir

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are we getting to the point that not even first party devs are competent.

The switch can not fail, only be failed

I think that's slightly more likely than the idea that it's now impossible to make games that look and run as well as ones from five years ago lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think that's slightly more likely than the idea that it's now impossible to make games that look and run as well as ones from five years ago lol

Well your in the right thread for that I guess

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Resetera is thata way sir

What are you on about!! You maniac!!!

The post I was replying to said Switch games look bad on 4KTVs. I didn't even start the topic, and it's a fine topic! Seeking TV knowledge and discussion. If you find it to be dumb or bad, step up and help, give a goon drat.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 26, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mario Odyssey was 60fps, Bowser's Fury is a choppy 30. :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

devs are lazy
this been known

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

Mario Odyssey was 60fps, Bowser's Fury is a choppy 30. :shrug:

Metroid Dread was 60 and Pokémon looks like rear end, though that's borderline a low budget series now lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Please nintendo do rhe right thing and save our framerates

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Please nintendo do rhe right thing and save our framerates

It’s almost as if having a consistent frame rate, much less a high one, is a net positive in 100% of cases and would be welcome insofar as hardware capabilities are concerned.

If choppiness is worth the tradeoff for being able to play something portably, more power to you. I don’t think it’s a weird thing to say “gee I wish the switch hardware was just a little more capable”.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People in this thread get really defensive and act like you're asking for the Switch to be able to run Horizon Forbidden West or something. Kirby is a great game! It would be cool if I could play it in 1080p at 60fps. This is not an impossible technical ask.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I feel like it was less than ten pages ago that people were saying the "I wish the Switch was more powerful because obviously game performance directly correlates with processing capability" and several more knowledgeable and attractive and nicer smelling posters said "for the Nth time, it does not work that way."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I assume by more knowledgeable posters you mean posters who tell me what I want to hear

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

People in this thread get really defensive and act like you're asking for the Switch to be able to run Horizon Forbidden West or something. Kirby is a great game! It would be cool if I could play it in 1080p at 60fps. This is not an impossible technical ask.

I don't know if people are talking past each other or what, I'm just saying that when there are games from literally years ago that look and run better than Kirby does, it's hard to say that Kirby is simply pushing against the bleeding edge of what the Switch is capable of.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume by more knowledgeable posters you mean posters who tell me what I want to hear

One sec, I have to go to the PS5 thread to talk about a PS5 game that I just played that has texture streaming issues and unstable framerates and laboriously lament how "the PS5 is really showing its age, hope Sony releases a more powerful console soon"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Started into mdickie wrestling and the tutorial has me cackling already. Back in the n64 days, my friends and i would see who could make the most annoying entrance, but mdickie let's you control it completely.

https://streamable.com/fimkes

Best wrestling game ever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bleck posted:

One sec, I have to go to the PS5 thread

gonna stop you right there

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Started into mdickie wrestling and the tutorial has me cackling already. Back in the n64 days, my friends and i would see who could make the most annoying entrance, but mdickie let's you control it completely.

https://streamable.com/fimkes

Best wrestling game ever

It’s sooo good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Playing Elden Ring on a PC with an overclocked RTX3080 and top of the line CPU and RAM, installed on an M.2 SSD, and still getting unstable framerates:

"gOLLy, gUeSS I neEd mOrE sTroNGLY comPUtRr bIts"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

American McGay posted:

Uh I mean I agree, but also a 4K tv doesn't make Kirby look worse

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

One sec, I have to go to the PS5 thread to talk about a PS5 game that I just played that has texture streaming issues and unstable framerates and laboriously lament how "the PS5 is really showing its age, hope Sony releases a more powerful console soon"

The Pas5 also has age issues by the nature of being a console with a uniform design, correct?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Bleck posted:

Playing Elden Ring on a PC with an overclocked RTX3080 and top of the line CPU and RAM, installed on an M.2 SSD, and still getting unstable framerates:

"gOLLy, gUeSS I neEd mOrE sTroNGLY comPUtRr bIts"

I don’t think anyone is denying poor optimization on the part of devs or whatever is a factor. But cmon dude. Switch hardware wasn’t knocking any socks off even on launch. Of course it becomes more noticeable as time goes on and games come out. Obviously it has enough raw appeal to overcome that and stay relevant. No one is saying the games are bad because they don’t run like greased lightning. Ideally they could release either a switch successor or another hardware version that has more oomph when docked. I’m sure people like me who mostly play on a TV would go in on one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do like the idea they could just make games for the PS2 if they just optimize a little better

Because optimization is apparently magic

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Pas5 also has age issues by the nature of being a console with a uniform design, correct?

...what?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS2 or switch… which machine has the power to run kingdom hearts 1 natively … the answer will shock you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the playstation 5 is not a real console

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think it'd be neat if the switch pro was just a dock with some extra juice inside or whatever. Use whatever quickplay poo poo Microsoft has going on to make it 'switch' like they want.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the playstation 5 is not a real console
Correct, it has no games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do like the idea they could just make games for the PS2 if they just optimize a little better

Because optimization is apparently magic

The "magic" of making games that look and run as well as games on the literal same system, years ago. Are you having a stroke

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

...what?

I will break it down for you even easier I guess. A console by the fact it needs to take price and the fact it won’t change will age even when new. Increasing even further as time passes

It’s a trade off you accept for console gaming until it’s replaced by the next model and the process starts anew

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

I think it'd be neat if the switch pro was just a dock with some extra juice inside or whatever. Use whatever quickplay poo poo Microsoft has going on to make it 'switch' like they want.

I think that would be awful tbh. Removed the portability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The "magic" of making games that look and run as well as games on the literal same system, years ago. Are you having a stroke

You keep saying that but it’s not really true.

So why do you keep saying it?