Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

not caring here posted:

So how far is Ukraine away from a NEGATIVE equipment loss?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL is quoted as saying yesterday that Ukraine has more than what they started with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hahahaha fuuuuuuuck

https://gcaptain.com/ship-engine-makers-cut-russia-ties/

Finland’s Wartsila, a leading ship engine maker, has suspended business with Russia including equipment training while German counterpart MAN Energy Solutions is reviewing contracts, adding further trade pressure on Moscow.

They also build a shitload of power generation systems based on those engines.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are they really any sort of game changer when it comes to terrorism? There are a lot of obstacles to a terror attack other than the weapons involved, and it's not like any interesting targets when attacking civilians are so armored that that bringing a Javelin to the table is a big deal.

The main impact after this war is probably that it's going to be a lot more dangerous to take armored vehicles where they aren't wanted by the locals. See helicopters post the 1980s Afghanistan war.

I'm more worried about Stingers being used against civilian airliners than ATGMs to be honest.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madeintaipei posted:

That is a sane and rational assessment by your colleague.

Lesotho's independence served a very clear purpose by legitimizing SA and Rhodesia's independence from the UK. Past that, they didn't give a fuuuuuuck until it came time to rationalize creation of the Bantustans.

"See? Lesotho has been there for years. A nearly homogeneous ethnostate with a strong government. Proof positive that, with our help, Africans can live apart but equal!"

The Bantustans were not, obviously, equal in any sane sense of the word.

Didn’t South Africa also create a bunch of puppet ethnic homelands during apartheid too? Like I feel there was a Zulu one.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

psydude posted:

I've personally seen a bunch photos and videos of dislodged turrets with a noticeable hole in the cope cage.

What's interesting is that I've started seeing them less, which makes me think the Russians have either removed them or they're bringing in more stock and haven't had time to put them on.

I'm seeing very few cages in twitter feeds, so I think most of the tanks that had them have already been destroyed (or are in use and not getting footage of them)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Didn’t South Africa also create a bunch of puppet ethnic homelands during apartheid too? Like I feel there was a Zulu one.

Yes, that is the Bantustans.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Farking Bastage posted:

They also build a shitload of power generation systems based on those engines.

FrozenVent posted:

DNV and Lloyd’s have also pulled all support from Russia, and now the Marshall Island registry (a U.S. based corporation) is reviewing whether or not they can still provide registration to Russian owned vessels.

It’s not a maritime blockade, buuuuuuut…

Yup. This is a bigger deal than the aircraft manufacturers.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm more worried about Stingers being used against civilian airliners than ATGMs to be honest.

That's certainly a concern, but it doesn't have the ceiling to hit airliners at cruising altitude. They'd have to hit them soon after takeoff or landing.

Now that I think about it, anyone know how effective are stingers against multi-engined aircraft?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

That's certainly a concern, but it doesn't have the ceiling to hit airliners at cruising altitude. They'd have to hit them soon after takeoff or landing.

Now that I think about it, anyone know how effective are stingers against multi-engined aircraft?

Nice try, Igor

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EasilyConfused posted:

A DHL jet got hit by some kind of MANPADS flying out of Iraq a while back, and while it did gently caress up an engine and a chunk of the wing, the pilots managed to safely make an emergency landing. Now, granted that's one single instance, and not something you necessarily want to bet on, but it's an example of multi-engine aircraft being survivable against MANPADS.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nice try, Igor

Igor wouldn’t have a 09 reg date and be easily confused comrade fuckstick

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

TheWeedNumber posted:

Igor wouldn’t have a 09 reg date and be easily confused comrade fuckstick

Could be playing the long game

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TCD posted:

I'm seeing very few cages in twitter feeds, so I think most of the tanks that had them have already been destroyed (or are in use and not getting footage of them)

I saw a compilation photo with a turret that had been launched with its cope cage on the ground several feet away. I imagine crudely welded angle iron doesn't stay attached after the first turret bounce.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could be playing the long game

The SVR is well known for playing the long game with their illegals in the U.S.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Can we talk about what kind of countermeasures or jammers are effective against MANPADS and are already in place near US airports? My internet girlfriend who lives in Canada loves to talk about this stuff and I want to have some cool new facts to share when we finally meet during on her next supermodel tour in the US.

(USER WAS VISITED BY THE FBI FOR THIS POST)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

The SVR is well known for playing the long game with their illegals in the U.S.

The US as represented by somethingawful.com lol

Stick to watching The Americans on Amazon lol.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can we talk about what kind of countermeasures or jammers are effective against MANPADS and are already in place near US airports? My internet girlfriend who lives in Canada loves to talk about this stuff and I want to have some cool new facts to share when we finally meet during on her next supermodel tour in the US.

(USER WAS VISITED BY THE FBI FOR THIS POST)

FBI guy tries to bang source news at 11

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheWeedNumber posted:

The US as represented by somethingawful.com lol

Stick to watching The Americans on Amazon lol.

They're still doing this, and have been for the last 3 decades. This poo poo didn't stop after 91, dude.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

They're still doing this, and have been for the last 3 decades. This poo poo didn't stop after 91, dude.

You’re right and also still dumb because who the gently caress gives a gently caress about this dying comedy website except the denizens within

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheWeedNumber posted:

You’re right and also still dumb because who the gently caress gives a gently caress about this dying comedy website except the denizens within

Who the gently caress was limiting the statement to somethingawful.com

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Glad we could have this chat! I’m bored now, suck my dick from the back.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheWeedNumber posted:

Glad we could have this chat! I’m bored now, suck my dick from the back.

Have a ~~ blessed ~~ day!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Have a ~~ blessed ~~ day!

Blessings upon blessings upon you goon

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/iAmTheWarax/status/1507729143915495424?t=0zgg2ObFVoZbH1nP8C3DnA&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Max Blumenthal recently wrote a piece claiming that the Mariupol theater attack was a false flag by the Azov Battalion meant to draw NATO into the war. Which led to this debunking:
https://twitter.com/neil_abrams/status/1506394055672213505

It is impossible to overstate how much Max Blumenthal sucks as a person.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Same with Glen

Also

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1507828189699080192?s=20&t=jPXLSJDRTEQlpdAlKKl37A

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1507828085390921728?s=20&t=jPXLSJDRTEQlpdAlKKl37A

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Warax still dunking on Michael Tracey, I see

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

https://twitter.com/SausageActual/status/1507758376226336769

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

highway to the DANGERZONE

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That happened a while back, I remember seeing it early this year/late last year?

e: it is Ukrainian, but from Aug 2020 (the year nobody mentions and why my sense of time utterly hosed).

https://theaviationist.com/2020/08/29/ukrainian-su-27-flanker-hit-a-road-sign-during-highway-landing-training/amp/

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 26, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I worry that a lot of ATGMs and Stingers are gonna find their way to the wrong hands.

I mean russia has BUK launchers so that cats already out of the bag

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who'd they get today?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

Who'd they get today?
e: never mind, that was the previous guy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Who'd they get today?

I'm sure we'll find out by Monday

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: never mind, that was the previous guy

I didn't know that the one who got ran over by his own tanks yesterday wasn't killed outright but died at the hospital. Shoulda backed up to finish the job, but i could also see merit for not doing that if they really hated the guy.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

A DHL jet got hit by some kind of MANPADS flying out of Iraq a while back, and while it did gently caress up an engine and a chunk of the wing, the pilots managed to safely make an emergency landing. Now, granted that's one single instance, and not something you necessarily want to bet on, but it's an example of multi-engine aircraft being survivable against MANPADS.

That was an incredible piece of airmanship, and not in anyway replicable on a consistent basis.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Baghdad_DHL_attempted_shootdown_incident

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Icon Of Sin posted:

That happened a while back, I remember seeing it early this year/late last year?

e: it is Ukrainian, but from Aug 2020 (the year nobody mentions and why my sense of time utterly hosed).

https://theaviationist.com/2020/08/29/ukrainian-su-27-flanker-hit-a-road-sign-during-highway-landing-training/amp/

Well, no wonder UA still has planes to fly. They were doing honest real life training instead of just attending power point presentation on it.

Stuff like this is the difference between an armed force on paper versus one you can count on when needed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

THE GHOST OF KYIV LIVES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Max Blumenthal recently wrote a piece claiming that the Mariupol theater attack was a false flag by the Azov Battalion meant to draw NATO into the war. Which led to this debunking:
https://twitter.com/neil_abrams/status/1506394055672213505

That is one of the longest Twitter threads I’ve ever read and it was fantastic.

quote:

It is impossible to overstate how much Max Blumenthal sucks as a person.

:kiss: