Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuctifino posted:

The Russian 'pranksters' released the video call to UK Home Secretary Priti Patel.

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1507573674861289472

e: Full 15 minute video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrwZBFukyw

Looking at that man’s Twitter I can see a person who has a severe case of brainworms or CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Indeed. For those not in the know, Patel goes on immigration raids in her spare time to cheer herself up, and spent some money on her hobby by having special police vest made up that says HOME SECRETARY on it. She also says she'd deport her own parents if they arrived now.

People have said she has a genuine pathological need to say or do the harshest thing she can think of in any situation. She is genuinely not normal.
Interesting context. It's starting to make sense why she fell for it.

:nms: graphic retelling of the horror of mariupol from a neonatal physician. No pictures.
https://twitter.com/B0e9oUqxh9cPcsA/status/1507605083814514688

Really weird handle though

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Looking at that man’s Twitter I can see a person who has a severe case of brainworms or CTE.

His twitter account is flagged 'Russia state-affiliated media', so yeah....

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Video hosting is terribly expensive and the only sizeable free provider, YouTube, is only marginally profitable because of its immense size and monopolistic market power. All other video platforms rely on upload fees or subscriptions. I don’t think you could run a profitable platform with a Russian audience.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Djarum posted:

It's likely that they can't ban Youtube without losing access to most of Google and the web in general.

That’s not it, Turkey did for years with little other ill effect on Google services really.

Someone reported Wikipedia downloads were up: very sensible to me because Wikipedia was blocked for years in Turkey cause of insults to a dear leader

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

Video hosting is terribly expensive and the only sizeable free provider, YouTube, is only marginally profitable because of its immense size and monopolistic market power. All other video platforms rely on upload fees or subscriptions. I don’t think you could run a profitable platform with a Russian audience.

You could run it a lower operating cost by using quotas (on viewing) and using quality limits on streams. Low-quality video streaming takes up significantly less bandwidth and storage. So a nationalized, low-cost version would be an embarrassing symbol of technological and economical discrepancy towards the rest of the world. Instead, If Russia remains isolated, I expect Chinese social media to fill the void of any long-term banned/sanctioned services.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Russia tried funding homegrown alternative to Youtube, Rutube, but, as usual, most of investment was swindled and the result is horribly slow and unpopular service that even "patriots" dont give poo poo about.
We are held back from falling into totalitarian state purely thanks to incompetence of our overlords

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1507813380245053441

Kadyrov scum keep making ridiculous videos of shooting into the air far from any real action.

Any nasheed enjoyers ITT? The last time I saw one of those they apparently used an anti-Assad one, so I’m curious if this is another well thought out one.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

fatherboxx posted:

Russia tried funding homegrown alternative to Youtube, Rutube, but, as usual, most of investment was swindled and the result is horribly slow and unpopular service that even "patriots" dont give poo poo about.
We are held back from falling into totalitarian state purely thanks to incompetence of our overlords

As flawed as democracy often feels lately, it's a little relieving to be reminded other forms of government also have their own horrible issues.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PederP posted:

You could run it a lower operating cost by using quotas (on viewing) and using quality limits on streams. Low-quality video streaming takes up significantly less bandwidth and storage. So a nationalized, low-cost version would be an embarrassing symbol of technological and economical discrepancy towards the rest of the world. Instead, If Russia remains isolated, I expect Chinese social media to fill the void of any long-term banned/sanctioned services.

Edge caches are cheaper if you have less content.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fuctifino posted:

The pranksters are legit - Kremlin-affiliated, but this is far from the first hoax they pull off on a senior western government official.

PederP posted:

The thing I was sarcastically leaning into with my post was what Fatherboxx said - Russian state is simply incompetent in many aspects, and the propaganda machine is utterly dependent on the western tech industry. If YT is blocked - people under 50 will have to VPN into it, and will suddenly start seeing completely different picture.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

PederP posted:

You could run it a lower operating cost by using quotas (on viewing) and using quality limits on streams.

This has already been tried and its not really successful due to the fact you have to lower the video quality so much it looks like poo poo + service in general is degraded so much no one wants to use it.

As far as I know the closest thing to successful that anyone has gotten with this idea is Bitchute (they changed their model up a while back though, used to heavily based off users hosting vid content with a bittorrentish set up) and its a absolute cesspit both in terms of quality of service and content (super infested with racists and right wing conspiracies).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Kosmos posted:

It's big, one journalist who was running an independent news station said that they cant shut down Youtube cause it's so huge, everyone uses it families watch Masha and bear there and that's the only example that I remember, cause my kids also watched Masha and bear, there's also buttload other Russian kids cartoons there. My partner is of Russian ethnicity and most of her family lives in Russia nowadays and she says the same thing, it's just too big. It's the same deal with WhatsApp, even Meta is banned there WhatsApp still works.

the most viewed youtube video which isn't music is this episode of masha and the bear, where masha makes pink goo

four and a half billion views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYniUCGPGLs

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PederP posted:

This is a pretty bold claim:
https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukraine-retaking-kherson-is-imminent-says-official-50228603.html

If that happens, Russian forces are in even worse state than I thought or they've all but abandoned Kherson. I haven't seen any news indicating such an event, so it will be interesting to see what the situation is tomorrow.

I think he's being a bit optimistic. Ukrainian troops are active in the Kherson Oblast, specifically cleaning up the area north of the Dnipro, but I don't think they're very close to Kherson city yet.

I'd love to be wrong, mind you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fuctifino posted:

Yep, some dipshit in DC who works for goddamn Sputnik International.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Indeed. For those not in the know, Patel goes on immigration raids in her spare time to cheer herself up, and spent some money on her hobby by having special police vest made up that says HOME SECRETARY on it. She also says she'd deport her own parents if they arrived now.

People have said she has a genuine pathological need to say or do the harshest thing she can think of in any situation. She is genuinely not normal.

Another important fact about Patel is she got fired by the last PM for going on trips to meet Israeli ministers without letting anyone else in the government know, but Boris immediately brought her back in when he came to power.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yep, some dipshit in DC who works for goddamn Sputnik International.

Also wrote “coach” when he meant “coax”.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

It's not one to be imitated - it would have been better to leave Putin isolated over it. International relations should not be like a kindergarten playground if serious agreements are going to be made.

This is almost laughable to me. You're talking like there isn't already a state of war, like there is some hope words could de-escalate things at this point. We have placed crippling sanctions and coordinated the entire western world to economically and militarily crush russia's ambitions with hundreds of millions of dollars of weapons. I think Putin and the whole world already knows we want him out, stinger missiles speak louder than words. Plus when you initiate an imperialist war of aggression against a peaceful neighbor you don't really get to play the hurt feelings card.

edit: the playground analogy is particularly inapt, because while international diplomacy can seem like playground trash talk, actual war is the farthest thing from child's play, it is deadly serious and actions are almost all that matters (especially against an implacable enemy like Putin). Hell, if anything a strident posture helps to unify western support and signal our total commitment to the cause. What's the worst that happens on the Russia side, Putin supporters hate the US even more? Big deal, Russian hearts and minds (except one) don't decide when this war ends. Putin isn't the only one who benefits from projecting strength.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 26, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Panzerknacker is a great word

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

This is almost laughable to me. You're talking like there isn't already a state of war, like there is some hope words could de-escalate things at this point. We have placed crippling sanctions and coordinated the entire western world to economically and militarily crush russia's ambitions with hundreds of millions of dollars of weapons. I think Putin and the whole world already knows we want him out, stinger missiles speak louder than words. Plus when a country initiates an imperialist war of aggression against a peaceful neighbor you don't really get to play the decorum card.

You're confusing the general case with the specific. National leaders routinely calling for the removal of the leaders of other nations is bad for international relations. It has nothing to do with Putin specifically.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deteriorata posted:

It sets a rather bad diplomatic precedent. It is not good for long-term stability if the leaders of countries start openly calling for the ouster of other countries' leaders. It works against mutual cooperation and respect.

Wow great question. Why ISN'T the US cooperating with Russia in its annexation of Ukraine? Just a total lack of respect shown.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Leader and commander of the Ukr volunteer battalion "Freikorps", Georgiy Tarasenko, has fallen in battle near Kharkiv.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

You're confusing the general case with the specific. National leaders routinely calling for the removal of the leaders of other nations is bad for international relations. It has nothing to do with Putin specifically.

Did anyone say we should routinely call for the removal of leaders? I thought your argument was that Biden's statement was bad for the reasons you said. During peacetime of course it would be belligerent. But as I said we are at war and that changes everything.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

PederP posted:

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukraine-retaking-kherson-is-imminent-says-official-50228603.html

If that happens, Russian forces are in even worse state than I thought or they've all but abandoned Kherson. I haven't seen any news indicating such an event, so it will be interesting to see what the situation is tomorrow.

I'd be surprised if they were already there, but I have as suspicion that when they get to Kherson, the Russians will basically retreat out of it without a fight. Defending in a friendly city is a tactical advantage, defending in an occupied city surrounded by hostile locals you've failed to pacify sounds like a death sentence.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pavlov posted:

I'd be surprised if they were already there, but I have as suspicion that when they get to Kherson, the Russians will basically retreat out of it without a fight. Defending in a friendly city is a tactical advantage, defending in an occupied city surrounded by hostile locals you've failed to pacify sounds like a death sentence.

Not after before booby-trapping the city, I fear.

E:

Before, not after.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 26, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Leader and commander of the Ukr volunteer battalion "Freikorps", Georgiy Tarasenko, has fallen in battle near Kharkiv.

hmm, not familiar with the outfit, but based on the unit name i find a hard time feeling bad about that particular death

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

Deteriorata posted:

Okay, but, like, is anyone talking about the routine case? It sort of seems like the conversation was that Biden said "You know, folks, that Putin feller sure is full of baloney". Clearly this is not the general case. There's no need to pearl clutch that in an alternate universe where we were instead talking about Wayne Rooney, Prime Minister of Sunken England, calls for the removal of Mark Rutte in over a disagreement about tariffs on cycling helmets. Yes, very well, I agree that if it was not a conversation about an authoritarian pariah doing war crimes in the parking lot, it would be bad form for a head of state to be so thoroughly undignified.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PederP posted:

... Unless OSINT guys have hosed up bad, there are ~6000 Russians in or around Kherson. What the gently caress.

Deteriorata posted:

I think he's being a bit optimistic. Ukrainian troops are active in the Kherson Oblast, specifically cleaning up the area north of the Dnipro, but I don't think they're very close to Kherson city yet.

On the M14 road from Mykolaiv, the closest they have been definitely located at is at Posad-Pokrovska which is ~24km from Chornobaivka and ~33km from downtown Kherson. This was several days ago.

Agree that this sounds very optimistic indeed.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Biden said nothing wrong. This conflict continues, ceasefire or not, until Putin is out of power.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Young Freud posted:

The Russian tanks that they're fighting are about $2 million to $5 million dollars, maybe more with upgrades and retrofits, so it's definitely worth it.

It is still a little depressing to realize that each boom is the equivalent of the average yearly income of 100 Ukrainians.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This has already been tried and its not really successful due to the fact you have to lower the video quality so much it looks like poo poo + service in general is degraded so much no one wants to use it.

As far as I know the closest thing to successful that anyone has gotten with this idea is Bitchute (they changed their model up a while back though, used to heavily based off users hosting vid content with a bittorrentish set up) and its a absolute cesspit both in terms of quality of service and content (super infested with racists and right wing conspiracies).
I see PeerTube pop up on hacker news occasionally as a YouTube competitor, not sure how viable it actually is though.

And yeah the problem with anything that’s moderation free or very light on moderation is that you get all the people who can’t exist on the platforms that are actually moderated, and then they scare away normal people who don’t like being next to Nazis.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Do you have a reliable source? I can't find any source that has anything to back it up at all.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kchama posted:

Do you have a reliable source? I can't find any source that has anything to back it up at all.

https://t.me/s/freikorps_org

Their telegram channel

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Pavlov posted:

If the Russians are serious about refocusing on the east, then abandoning Kherson and sitting behind the Dniepr wouldn't be crazy.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Magic Underwear posted:

Did anyone say we should routinely call for the removal of leaders? I thought your argument was that Biden's statement was bad for the reasons you said. During peacetime of course it would be belligerent. But as I said we are at war and that changes everything.

Pretty sure America isn't at war with Russia right now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tuna-Fish posted:

Javelins are way out of the price range of most nations that buy Russian gear. There's no way Ukraine would be using them as widely as they are if they weren't getting them for free.

Turkey's going to be selling a lot of drones though.

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman

kemikalkadet posted:

Pretty sure America isn't at war with Russia right now.

This is just the most tedious, least interesting possible way to drag out an already extremely boring and shallow conversation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe I should have specified: Do you have a reliable source for the sentence you posted with zero source? Like, link the actual post or whatever instead of expecting me to sift through it all. Cuz I can't find a post about it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MikeC posted:

If the Russians are serious about refocusing on the east, then abandoning Kherson and sitting behind the Dniepr wouldn't be crazy.

For one thing, it’d be a significant challenge to shift units from Belarus and northern Ukraine back east.

Edit: to be fair, some Ukr sources are confirming the main russian BTGs are shifting east, leaving behind the conscript Donetsk/Luhansk troops to be grinded.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 26, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MikeC posted:

Giving up a potential negotiating chip and one of their only significant gains seems pretty crazy to me. It's much easier to defend territory than seize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kchama posted:

Maybe I should have specified: Do you have a reliable source for the sentence you posted with zero source? Like, link the actual post or whatever instead of expecting me to sift through it all. Cuz I can't find a post about it.

I clicked that link. This was the most recent post (google translated)

quote:

Georgy Tarasenko, the leader and commander of the Freikor Volunteer Unit, was killed in the battle defending his native Kharkiv region.

George was the best of us, he was always the first to lead us into battle and never showed fear. It so happened that in his last battle, conducting a counterattack on enemy positions, he was the first in our battle group.

Georgy was a nationalist all his life: in the nationalist movement since the days of Domaydan, a participant in the Revolution of Dignity, he opposed the "Russian Spring" in Kharkov, in 2014 at the age of 17 George went to the front. In 2017, he created and headed the Freikor Volunteer Unit and the organization of the same name. Under his command, we made 7 combat rotations in the Donbas and defended Kharkiv from the first day of the full-scale Russian invasion.

We became an organization and a unit thanks to his leadership. Despite this heavy loss, our unit continues to carry out combat missions, our organization will continue the work of George, we will continue to fight for a Greater Conciliar Ukraine. Georgy Tarasenko is forever in line! Help card (father): 5167 9856 6143 8440 (Tarasenko Alexander Andreevich)