Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

do you have a link? this sounds extremely up my alley

I think this is the right one:

https://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~jnd260/cab/CAB2012%20-%20Page1.pdf

Just blindly googling brings up a bunch of garbage that makes it look like the system is working as intended but without any actual quantifiable information. Embarrassing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The democrats: we're really good at being the things republicans pretend to care about

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fast cars loose anus posted:

Does it really help them to do another impeachment that won't actually result in removal from office when they have all sorts of other ineffectual things they could be doing?

I guess the theater of it could potentially be a useful distraction from everything else to a certain type

You’re probably right. Impeachment is only effective if a party is willing to go balls to the wall, and Dems are castrati.

The recent talk about deficit reduction sounds like austerity is the next step in the slide towards succ.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

You’re probably right. Impeachment is only effective if a party is willing to go balls to the wall, and Dems are castrati.

The recent talk about deficit reduction sounds like austerity is the next step in the slide towards succ.

It doesn't really matter how hard or not the Dems go on it because the chances of 17 Republican senators voting to remove Clarence Thomas are smaller than the chances of me winning three straight powerballs

I really don't think just doing it for the spectacle is likely to gin up more Dems to vote in the midterms than it will motivate more Republicans to come out to kick their asses, either

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Joe Biden should stop pissing people off with easy remedies imo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BBB getting tossed into a well. Build Back Never indeed.

Although with the way it was propagandized, a not insignificant amount of dems will tell you BBB in fact passed. Remember the articles discussing it as if the bill was passed?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I really don't think just doing it for the spectacle is likely to gin up more Dems to vote in the midterms than it will motivate more Republicans to come out to kick their asses, either

it probably won’t but at the same time “the republicans might use this as a talking point to get out the vote” has been one of the most persistent excuses for democrats to do absolutely nothing so they might as well go for it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it probably won’t but at the same time “the republicans might use this as a talking point to get out the vote” has been one of the most persistent excuses for democrats to do absolutely nothing so they might as well go for it

The republicans will use it as a talking point to get out the vote regardless of whether its happening or not. They'll dredge up some speculative articles helpfully published in NYT or WaPo and claim that if the democrats win they'll institute martial law and start executing people in Central Park.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yeah, sure, I just don't see how impeaching Clarence Thomas and then definitely not getting a conviction and removal from office does anything for them if they actually do step up and do it.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Yeah, sure, I just don't see how impeaching Clarence Thomas and then definitely not getting a conviction and removal from office does anything for them if they actually do step up and do it.

Perhaps to signal to voters that they care enough about something to act on it?? They won't though Lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nitevision posted:

Perhaps to signal to voters that they care enough about something to act on it?? They won't though Lol

that already happened. money for israel!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What matters is material things, not political spectacle. Like forgiving student loan debt, or packing the Supreme Court and then affirming abortion rights. A failed impeachment doesn't do poo poo.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

What matters is material things, not political spectacle. Like forgiving student loan debt, or packing the Supreme Court and then affirming abortion rights. A failed impeachment doesn't do poo poo.

bah gawd, that's the democrats' music!

Laterite has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Mar 27, 2022

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Chamale posted:

Coulda sworn there were examples of politically important failed impeachments in the past but Im coming up dry... You're correct and very rational

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nitevision posted:

Biden just blessed another trump run, waving off people who died of covid at the voting booth to get rid of orange man forever

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
has any potus ever lost their reelection and won the term after that? That plus being impeached would make our big boy historic

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Robo Reagan posted:

has any potus ever lost their reelection and won the term after that? That plus being impeached would make our big boy historic
Grover did.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
grover is known more for his house than his presidency

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Robo Reagan posted:

You wanna see historic wait till he wins in '24 and then runs again in '28

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Robo Reagan posted:

grover is known more for his house than his presidency

America is the Groverhaus of nations

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Vim Fuego posted:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Vim Fuego posted:

load bearing drywall genocides

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

You can do both! Both can be done!
Of course the dems won't do either, so.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1508094514480697346?t=3xSyrRNRXzw6DmU8IyFYDA&s=19

quote:

But what stands out in the poll is that the American public hasn’t yet rallied around Biden as a result of the war in Ukraine, said Horwitt, the Democratic pollster.

“One thing that has not happened — at least yet — is a rally around the flag reaction with Joe Biden’s job rating increasing. The potential for that to occur could still happen if America becomes more directly involved, but at this stage it is not there.”

holy poo poo the dems are gonna get destroyed

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

How is it still at 40% ? The guy is a disaster. Of Pierce proportions.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

presidents are the mascot of a brand more than a political agent when it comes to opinion polling

edit: it's an identity thing too. I voted for biden therefore he is doing good, why else would I have voted for him?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

A big flaming stink posted:

holy poo poo the dems are gonna get destroyed

At least yet = cope

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Antonymous posted:

presidents are the mascot of a brand more than a political agent when it comes to opinion polling

edit: it's an identity thing too. I voted for biden therefore he is doing good, why else would I have voted for him?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Lastgirl posted:

At least yet = cope

yeah but that "could be better if America gets more directly involved" might be the scariest thing a pollster ever said, no one tell Biden

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Thank you for bringing the fact that I was probated to my attention. I looked in my rapsheet and realized I missed the last three. Non-Americas privilege I suppose.

playtime is over

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also stop arguing. The Democrats will be destroyed. period.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Many people are saying that the Dems will be destroyed in 2022. I had one guy, he was a firefighter and a marine, a marine firefighter, he came up to me with tears in his eyes and he said I don't think the Dems have a plan for America

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crowsbeak posted:

Antonymous posted:

Yeah, isn't the floor realistically like maybe 30%, from committed Democrat identitarians? And getting down there means loving things up for everyone, when usually at least some people believe they're benefiting from poo poo that gently caress other people over.

If you want to go that low, you probably need to add a significant consumption tax on gas.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It doesn't really matter how hard or not the Dems go on it because the chances of 17 Republican senators voting to remove Clarence Thomas are smaller than the chances of me winning three straight powerballs

You're right. They impeached Turp twice and it didn't make a drat's bit of difference. The people who hated Turbo before hated him afterwards, and the people who liked him before liked him even more afterwards.

Democrats could win big dividends making a clear distinction between themselves and Republicans, especially on issues like abortion. They refuse because they're loving cowards (and they don't really disagree with the GOP on those issues too much anyway, since wealthy white women will still have easy access to abortion). They just disgust me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yuck

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/sta...ingawful.com%2F

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, isn't the floor realistically like maybe 30%, from committed Democrat identitarians? And getting down there means loving things up for everyone, when usually at least some people believe they're benefiting from poo poo that gently caress other people over.

If you want to go that low, you probably need to add a significant consumption tax on gas.

yeah it's probably somewhere near Bush in 08, that's probably the floor in modern times give or take a few percent.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Biden said roe v wade went too far and pelosi says being anti-abortion isn't disqualifying for democrats but I'm sure they're going to do something about abortion any day now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's a big tent party that accepts everyone except leftists who want to actually see poo poo get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cenotaph posted:

Biden said roe v wade went too far and pelosi says being anti-abortion isn't disqualifying for democrats but I'm sure they're going to do something about abortion any day now.

it’s just something they use as leverage everytime they need votes.