Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is there anything fun to do with crimson vow? there are very cheap booster boxes available right now but i don't really know how to actually play this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is what Learn is?

How did I blank on Learn? :doh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

jarofpiss posted:

is there anything fun to do with crimson vow? there are very cheap booster boxes available right now but i don't really know how to actually play this game

Drafting has a bit of a skill floor if you're just starting out, but it's absolutely the best thing you can do if you're just buying a big sealed box if you can find 5-6 people who want to draft with you. Honestly if you have some friends who are into MTG saying "hey I'm buying a box want to bring over a few beers and do a draft" will probably get a response.

Assuming they are actually draft boosters and not set boosters, the latter of which is literally designed just to crack like a degenerate gambler, not to draft with.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Drafting has a bit of a skill floor if you're just starting out, but it's absolutely the best thing you can do if you're just buying a big sealed box if you can find 5-6 people who want to draft with you. Honestly if you have some friends who are into MTG saying "hey I'm buying a box want to bring over a few beers and do a draft" will probably get a response.

Assuming they are actually draft boosters and not set boosters, the latter of which is literally designed just to crack like a degenerate gambler, not to draft with.

i've been buying a lot of sealed boxes and opening them because i am literally a degenerate gambler through and through, and i tried to learn to draft on arena but have been consistently owned.

but i was thinking for $70 draft boxes for crimson vow i could maybe learn to build a deck out of whatever i pull? draft night with friends that are new to the game also seems fun, but i'd like to learn how to look at cards and actually understand what might be useful

edit: off topic but is there a general tcg thread? it's time we talked about hyborian gates

jarofpiss fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 26, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

i've been buying a lot of sealed boxes and opening them because i am literally a degenerate gambler through and through, and i tried to learn to draft on arena but have been consistently owned.

but i was thinking for $70 draft boxes for crimson vow i could maybe learn to build a deck out of whatever i pull? draft night with friends that are new to the game also seems fun, but i'd like to learn how to look at cards and actually understand what might be useful

I'm still gonna encourage you to draft with it, since it's something you can only do once with a sealed product, you still have the cards to make your kitchen table decks afterwards, and it's one of the most fun ways to play IMO and a cool skill to develop.

If Midnight Hunt is cheap I'd get some of those too, the mini block will let you make some nice tribal decks between them with spirits, wolfmen, and draculas.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm still gonna encourage you to draft with it, since it's something you can only do once with a sealed product, you still have the cards to make your kitchen table decks afterwards, and it's one of the most fun ways to play IMO and a cool skill to develop.

If Midnight Hunt is cheap I'd get some of those too, the mini block will let you make some nice tribal decks between them with spirits, wolfmen, and draculas.

i have a few draft booster boxes of midnight hunt too, i've been opening mostly kaldheim and afr boxes up until now. was double feature something different or just a combo of crimson vow/midnight hunt? seems weird the double feature boxes are significantly more expensive

edit: oh they're all black and white cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jarofpiss posted:

i have a few draft booster boxes of midnight hunt too, i've been opening mostly kaldheim and afr boxes up until now. was double feature something different or just a combo of crimson vow/midnight hunt? seems weird the double feature boxes are significantly more expensive

The double feature boosters have two rares

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mike N Eich posted:

Learn was well executed because all the cards are roughly worth less than a typical playable card, but have contextual use. It ended up being almost perfectly implemented.

I wonder how Companion would have been received if all the companions were on the same power level of say, Jegantha (mostly just a big dumb 5/5 for 5). It wouldn't have been super exciting, but decently balanced.

The problem with low power companions is they aren't with building around, but some decks will just unintentionally be able to play it and get a random boring boost. Throw the mechanic in the trash.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There probably is a medium power companion possible but tbh i think the delta between low and high is much much smaller then patrick or anyone really thinks. Its just not worth trying again.

Jegantha is probably close to said medium power level but even then apparently some decks in modern have been using it to good effect in place of lurrus which like, lmao

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

There probably is a medium power companion possible but tbh i think the delta between low and high is much much smaller then patrick or anyone really thinks. Its just not worth trying again.

Jegantha is probably close to said medium power level but even then apparently some decks in modern have been using it to good effect in place of lurrus which like, lmao

Jegantha barely requires any contortion for a few decks so it ends up being a free extra 5/5 in hand

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Obosh ftw imo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

Commander is a fun kitchen table format and if you're buying all this sealed product and end up pulling the marquee tribal mythics, Olivia and Tovolar, you can probs make casual commander decks for werewolves v draculas.

I forget if Azorious spirits has a good commander in either set.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The double feature boosters have two rares

did some math and per pack that comes out to $2.27 for the extra black and white rare

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Commander is a fun kitchen table format and if you're buying all this sealed product and end up pulling the marquee tribal mythics, Olivia and Tovolar, you can probs make casual commander decks for werewolves v draculas.

I forget if Azorious spirits has a good commander in either set.

i tried playing 2 player commander with some prebuilt decks that were on sale and mine just wrecked the other one consistently. it's probably better with 4 players i'm guessing? sort of a rock/paper/scissors balance?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Yeah 1v1 commander sucks, 4 players is ideal.

Double Feature is not worth the premium price, I would rather draft the sets individually. It's being sold as a fun and cool draft experience, but the regular draft boxes are so cheap you could buy two of them for what a single, smaller Double Feature box would cost. Crimson Vow is a cool set, I've made a handful of vampire and spirit decks that are a lot of fun to play. If you like to crack open packs and throw together decks with what you get, you could do a lot worse than a $70 Crimson Vow draft box.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toph Bei Fong posted:

How did I Go Blank on Learn? :doh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Last night I played legacy for the first time in years, pre pandemic.
Still amazing and fun. Too bad it's a million dollars. I went 3-1 and the one I lost I dropped one of three because I had to shock in my lands.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What were you playing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

What were you playing

A ug stiflenought brew.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

A ug stiflenought brew.

Classic. Love stifle even though it’s like two thirds of a card at best

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I could have sworn MaRo claimed Companion had an incredibly narrow design space

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I got the tude now posted:

Classic. Love stifle even though it’s like two thirds of a card at best

Eot dress down, sacrifice saga, get phyrexian Dreadnought

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maro can and has been wrong before

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Maro says dumb things all the time I wouldn't take any of his takes particularly seriously.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Unique conditions may be fairly narrow, but once you allow duplicates you're talking essentially the same design space that creatures have in general.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well you can do a lot more than just companion creatures. Maybe that's what he meant by saying the companion design space is narrow specifically.

You can do a lot with similar things that modify rules in exchange for restrictions.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think Maro is usually more right than he is wrong. I definitely think he’s right that the number of restrictions that they can realistically stick to a companion is lower than you’d think. I’d like to see more companions but considering how they hosed the game up to the point of requiring errata, how they were almost all completely unplayable or format warping, and how most of the community hates them I bet we only ever see it again as a one-off thing here and there like the dog partner in Neo Kamigawa. I’ll eat an Umori on camera if Companion ever comes back as a marquee mechanic.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:toot: elves take me to 3-1 at a (pretty casual and free) modern event

Such a fun deck. It feels so close to being really good, but it's definitely good enough for fnm esque settings

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

:toot: elves take me to 3-1 at a (pretty casual and free) modern event

Such a fun deck. It feels so close to being really good, but it's definitely good enough for fnm esque settings

Gamergrats amigo. What build are you on?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Gamergrats amigo. What build are you on?

Pretty standard golgari list:

4 Heritage Druid
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Quirion Ranger
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Dwynen's Elite
4 Elvish Warmaster
4 Elvish Archdruid
2 Elvish Champion
2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 Shaman of the Pack

2 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
2 Winding Way

My lands are kinda whack because I don't actually own any caverns. I should probably just suck it up and buy them at some point, but the only tribal deck I really play is elves:
1 Blooming Marsh
4 Forest
3 Nurturing Peatland
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Pendelhaven
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace

I completely forgot to put veils in my sideboard, so I randomly had like 3 cast downs that never even got sided in :v:

Edit: Also in the process of the event I realized that I actually didn't slip a basic swamp in there. Luckily I never ran into blood moon, but I realized that I should probably fix that.. a decent chunk of the sideboard cards are just black removal like pushes and stuff. I dunno if anyone would actually bring in blood moon against elves though, especially considering G1 I have literally 4 cards that have B in them and that's it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 27, 2022

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Eot dress down, sacrifice saga, get phyrexian Dreadnought

I forgot all these exist lmao. Are you saying there’s no need for stifle anymore?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I got the tude now posted:

I forgot all these exist lmao. Are you saying there’s no need for stifle anymore?

There's always been ways to omit stifle, torpor orb, illusionary mask, and vision charm.
But stifle clips fetches and also costs one mana so you can go Uro, drop a land, stifle the sac

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The BR Anvil deck in standard is very fun and engaging to play. When you go off its very satisfying to watch their life go from like 14 to 0 one damage at a time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
lol if anyone lives near NJ and wants to make some easy money, Flesh and Blood is printing an exclusive promo card for their first pro tour that they say they will never make again, it's $50 for a ticket.
https://www.fabevents.gg/pro-tour-1

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

lol if anyone lives near NJ and wants to make some easy money, Flesh and Blood is printing an exclusive promo card for their first pro tour that they say they will never make again, it's $50 for a ticket.
https://www.fabevents.gg/pro-tour-1

I was talking with one of the owners of my LGS, and he was saying they received a call from their Magic distributor wondering why they weren't buying nearly as much magic product. Apparently all of her clients are trending this way; it's probably due to Hasbro killing the profit margins of any LGS by moving towards Amazon, but they also think it's partially due to this game.

The community for FaB blew up at their store, because they were the first to jump on it. It really seems like this game is catering to the high level tournament scene, which is probably why we are seeing Channel Fireball and SCG move this direction as well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DangerDongs posted:

I was talking with one of the owners of my LGS, and he was saying they received a call from their Magic distributor wondering why they weren't buying nearly as much magic product. Apparently all of her clients are trending this way; it's probably due to Hasbro killing the profit margins of any LGS by moving towards Amazon, but they also think it's partially due to this game.

The community for FaB blew up at their store, because they were the first to jump on it. It really seems like this game is catering to the high level tournament scene, which is probably why we are seeing Channel Fireball and SCG move this direction as well.

CFB and SCG are moving towrads FAB because it's a giant cash cow with an insane collector's market, which is how they make their largest profit off of something's secondary market value. The rarity system in FAB is asinine and people pay way too much for the cards for how new of a game it is.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
MTG players pay way too much for cards in general lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the popularity of flesh and blood feels hilariously astroturfed and i see talk about how to profit off the game an order of magnitude or more than i've ever seen talk about actually playing it

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently it's super easy to cheat at, even in high-level environments. That's the other piece of information I've absorbed second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I do think about trying it, even bought one of the Blitz starter decks. Then I remember thr time and money wasted on other tcgs in the 90s and am okay with a little vit of FOMO here.