Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm on an endless quest to make tteokbokki that still tastes like tteokbokki, but is mild enough for my dad to eat.
This weekend, I used a new brand of gochujang (only 6% red pepper, compared to the 9.3% of my usual brand), and combined it with blitzed chickpeas to make rabokki. It was pretty tasty, but not tteokbokki.

I also made aloo matar, based on this recipe:

It was pretty bloody moreish.
I added a tin of red kidney beans to the sauce, and used sweet potato instead of cauliflower, because cauliflower is absurdly expensive right now. I used an immersion blender rather than faffing about with the food processor, so the sauce isn't particularly smooth and creamy, but I don't care about that.

And I made a lemon pudding, based on this recipe:

I boiled and blitzed a few whole lemons, and used that in place of the juice and zest. I also made some extra sauce, but that wasn't really necessary; it was already pretty saucy. Served it with soy yoghourt.
Very tasty and very easy; I'll be keeping this recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Videos to peruse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2CaydPomss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8349oxkRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtQUZS0Khk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8jyWx7960

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gonna double post because nobody can stop me from sharing some recipes from South India and Poland:

Onion sambar

Beet rasam

Pepper rasam

Mushroom pea kurma

Cauliflower kurma

Cauliflower and peas

Sauerkraut pierogi

Christmas mushroom soup

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The mushroom stuff in that last post brought to mind something for me!

So after years and years of assuming I didn't like mushrooms, surprise it turns out I just didn't like poorly prepared and/or canned mushrooms, and actually they're really drat good. What a shocker! I've been trying a whole bunch of different recipes recently, but I would welcome any sort of recommendations for other things to try. With the caveat that I can only reliably locally get button/cremini/portobello and shiitake.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I was the same. My mum's usual methods of preparing mushrooms when I was a kid were raw in salads, or thrown in soups, etc. and I always hated them. I was well into adulthood before realising that sautéed mushrooms are delicious, and that what I didn't really like was the sort of slimy texture that mushrooms have when you just throw them in liquid.
Non-sautéed mushrooms have now grown on me too. (I still don't like raw mushrooms)

As an adult, I've realised that most of the foods I disliked as a child were because of their textures rather than the taste. So I've had a lot of fun experimenting with different cooking/preparation methods to make various ingredients more tolerable.

My favourite mushroom recipes at the moment:
stroganoff - I don't use a recipe. I just sauté mushrooms and garlic in oil, add loads of smoked paprika, then yoghourt and chopped parsley. Serve over pasta.
mushroom burgers - big portobellos grilled (grill them gill side down first, so that they finish cooking with their gills up; that way you don't lose all the delicious juice when you flip them) with grilled eggplant, zucchini (and fake haloumi or tofu if you're into that) on a nice bun with pesto and salad.
Pierogi - There are a million recipes out there, but this one worked well for me.
This sour shchi recipe (Sauerkraut and mushroom soup)
This mushroom and barley soup
As a pizza topping
Risotto

Recipes I've not tried yet, but have on my list:
This chettinad mushroom masala is at the very top of my list.
This Filipino tocino. I don't have access to oyster mushrooms, so I'm planning to try it with button mushrooms.
Some variation on this mushroom bourguignon pie. (It's a "bourguignon" pie that doesn't contain any wine :classiclol:)
This mushroom, chestnut & cranberry tart. I'd need to sub out the soy cream cheese with something I've not thought of yet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

As an adult, I've realised that most of the foods I disliked as a child were because of their textures rather than the taste. So I've had a lot of fun experimenting with different cooking/preparation methods to make various ingredients more tolerable.

This is turning out to be the case for a lot of things for me too. Except tomatoes, which my tastes have legitimately changed on as I've gotten older. The only thing I despised as a child that I still don't like now is broccoli, but I'm a supertaster and it tastes intolerably bitter to me (weirdly I can manage with most of the other supertaster issue foods).

And all those recipes look amazing, so they're going on the list of 'things to try'.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love mushrooms. Some options:

Spanish mushroom soup
Mushroom borshch
Russian marinated mushrooms
Buckwheat kasha with mushrooms
Bok choy with mushrooms
Mushroom rice
Udon with mushroom-soy broth, stir-fried mushrooms, and cabbage
Braised shiitake mushrooms with broccoli
Mushroom wonton soup
Sweet and sour abalone mushrooms
Braised tofu with mushrooms

Plus stuff that has been posted before:

Everything in this post
Caramelized leek and seared mushroom toast
Mushroom stir fry
Mushroom pepper fry
Fava soup with mushrooms and capers
Cashew mushroom curry (use oil, not ghee)
Creamy cashew udon with mushrooms
Spicy steamed tofu with mushrooms
Button mushroom soup
Enoki cucumber salad
Herb and mushroom pilaf
Cabbage and mushrooms
Sauerkraut and mushroom hand pies (don't seal the edges with egg)
Mushroom vindaloo
Shui zhu mushrooms
Zucchini and mushrooms with green olives and basil
Mushroom chicharrón tacos
Tofu and mushroom soup

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I truly love this recipe, although since moving I've had a hard time finding the duo jiao at the Asian groceries near me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

How Wonderful! posted:

I truly love this recipe, although since moving I've had a hard time finding the duo jiao at the Asian groceries near me.
You could always try making it yourself!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gonna double post because nobody can stop me from sharing some recipes from South India and Poland:

Onion sambar

Beet rasam

Pepper rasam

Mushroom pea kurma

Cauliflower kurma

Cauliflower and peas

Sauerkraut pierogi

Christmas mushroom soup

That cauliflower and pea masala looks so dank

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The mushroom stuff in that last post brought to mind something for me!

So after years and years of assuming I didn't like mushrooms, surprise it turns out I just didn't like poorly prepared and/or canned mushrooms, and actually they're really drat good. What a shocker! I've been trying a whole bunch of different recipes recently, but I would welcome any sort of recommendations for other things to try. With the caveat that I can only reliably locally get button/cremini/portobello and shiitake.

Frying up some mushrooms with garlic and putting them on toast is super easy and really tasty! If you use dairy replacements you can also make them a bit creamy. Perhaps an obvious one but I also used to dislike mushrooms and this is now one of my favourite breakfasts and a good way to showcase different shrooms, plus frying them fairly dry gives them a pleasing texture.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Everyone likes Lasagna. The lentil she makes is also really great for pastas in general.

https://www.noracooks.com/best-vegan-lasagna/

I have to second this one, I often skip the lentils but this recipe when cooked is basically indistinguishable vs using regular ricotta back from before I ate vegan. Honestly, it's a solid recipe.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 13, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bollock Monkey posted:

Frying up some mushrooms with garlic and putting them on toast is super easy and really tasty! If you use dairy replacements you can also make them a bit creamy. Perhaps an obvious one but I also used to dislike mushrooms and this is now one of my favourite breakfasts and a good way to showcase different shrooms, plus frying them fairly dry gives them a pleasing texture.

Mushrooms are so yummy

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Seconding sautéed mushrooms on toast. Throw in some chopped parsley and loads of pepper, and make it sourdough or a good country rye.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For anyone curious, I just read through The Cuisine of Spain by Claudia Roden. It has about 39 vegan recipes, which is not bad. A couple examples:

quote:

Andalusian Ajo Blanco con Uvas
9 ounces (about 2¼ cups) blanched whole almonds
3 ounces (about 3 slices) crustless white bread soaked in water for a few minutes, until soggy
3 garlic cloves, or to taste, crushed to a paste
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 drops almond extract (optional)
About 3 cups cold water
Salt
2 to 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar, to taste
36 or more seedless white grapes

Grind the almonds very fine in a food processor. Add the bread, garlic, and oil and blend well. Add the almond extract if you like. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough water to give the soup a light creamy consistency. Season to taste with salt and vinegar. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with oil, and drop 6 or more grapes into each.

quote:

Majorcan Coca de Trempó
FOR THE TOPPING
4 medium tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper (in Majorca they use a light green pepper called rubio)
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
Salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

FOR THE DOUGH
½ cup olive oil
½ cup lukewarm water
½ teaspoon salt
About 1¾ cups all-purpose flour, or as needed

For the topping, cut the tomatoes, onion, and green pepper into small pieces. Put them in a bowl, season with a little sugar and some salt, and mix well. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours.

Meanwhile, for the dough, mix the olive oil, water, and salt very well in a bowl. Gradually stir in the flour, mixing with a fork and then with your hand; add just enough flour to form a smooth soft ball that does not stick to your fingers. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough in half. Spread each half into a round or rectangle on a large baking sheet, pressing it into a very thin layer with your fingers and the palm of your hand. Form a low rim around the edges of each one if you like. Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven to set the pastry.

Drain the topping thoroughly, so that the pastry does not get too soggy, and toss with the extra virgin olive oil. Cover the pastry entirely with the topping and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and the topping soft. If the topping starts to brown before the pastry is crisp, cover the cocas with foil.

Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares or wedges.

VARIATIONS
Add black olives or capers to the topping.

For a coca de pimiento, with a red pepper topping, roast 5 red bell peppers. Peel and seed them, and cut them into thin strips. Toss them with 2 crushed garlic cloves mixed with 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, salt, and ½ teaspoon cumin.

Not sure if I'd recommend buying it, since the majority of the recipes are non-vegan, but it would definitely be worth checking out from a library or borrowing it from a friend or something.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2020/07/trader-joes-balela.html

Anybody have a good recipe for balela?

I've tried to make it a few times and it never comes out as good as the TJ.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Figured the vegetable broth I made earlier in the week would be good as a base for some soondubu jjigae, and I was right!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My last bread attempt didn't work out, because modifying non-vegan recipes is always a bit of a crapshoot with baking. But this week's did!

Cinnamon raisin bread.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lady Disdain posted:

[...] eggplant "unagi" (not Chinese, obviously).
They were all very good, but the unagi was the real stand out.[...]

It was delicious.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Right !

I've recently made these drunken noodles.
I'm not sure how it happened, because I actually followed the recipe for once, but mine turned out much drier than hers.
They were tasty, but not incredible.

I made this black bean curry.
I rarely follow recipes very closely, and my experimentations rarely result in flops. But my god, with this one, I somehow managed to create a new level of blandness. I'm not even sure what I did, but it was so boring. Not bad, just boring. I salvaged it by throwing in some curry powder, fresh herbs, and coconut cream, and it ended up being fairly tasty.
I'm sure her recipe is delicious, though.

For pud, I made this Jamaican sweet potato pudding.
Based on the pictures, I was expecting something quite cakey, but it was just sweet potato pie without the crust. Delicious, though.
I went off piste with the "custard topping," though; made a custard of soy milk, corn starch, brown sugar and vanilla.
Served it with soy yoghourt.

This weekend, I made this creamy mushroom and lentil stew.
I didn't have beluga or puy lentils. So I did 50/50 green lentils and buckwheat kernels. Boiled the lentils as per the recipe, then blitzed them. Toasted the buckwheat and threw it straight into the stew towards the end.
I also used frozen spinach in place of the kale, and added some peas.
Quite tasty. I ended up adding a load of Italian herbs and some nutritional yeast, and the result is very moreish.

For pud, I made this sweet potato cobbler, only I used pumpkin instead.
I used soy milk in place of the milk. I decided that the 1/2C of butter was unnecessary, so I just par-cooked my pumpkin in the microwave, spread it in a greased pan, poured the batter and the syrup over the top. I also decreased the sugar in the syrup a fair bit. And I used Chinese five spice instead of whatever the recipe calls for.
Very good. Served with soy yoghourt.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

^I love drunken noodles

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Eggplant unagi is a brilliant idea and I’m mad I didn’t think of it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to keep the skins on though. I really like the contrast of skin vs flesh on roasted eggplant and I feel like it would have a nice texture here too. Maybe if I broiled it after braising…

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Hawkperson posted:

Eggplant unagi is a brilliant idea and I’m mad I didn’t think of it. I’m wondering if it’s possible to keep the skins on though. I really like the contrast of skin vs flesh on roasted eggplant and I feel like it would have a nice texture here too. Maybe if I broiled it after braising…

I left the skin on when I made them. I over cooked them a bit, and they would've had absolutely no structural integrity without the skins.
As a rule, I never peel veg unless I really have to.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Roasted veggies are my go-to meal most nights. Chop them, mix them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and pop them in a toaster oven until crispy. Salt/pepper/garlic powder is my usual spice mix, but I'm looking to branch out. Anyone have any favorite mixes they want to share? Even store-bought spice mixes are fine, I'm not above them or anything.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 22, 2022

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Supermarkets in Australia sell "Moroccan" and "Cajun" spice mixes, both of which are very tasty.
A quick look at the ingredients says that Moroccan is Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Sugar, Onion, Paprika, Rosemary, Food Acid (Citric), Turmeric 2.5%, Capsicum 1.5%, Coriander Seed, Cumin 1%, Vegetable Oil, Lemon Oil, Ginger.
Cajun is Salt, Paprika 16%, Pepper, Onion 8%, Basil, Garlic, Chilli 6%, Fennel, Thyme.

When I mix my own, I generally go for salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander seed and rosemary.

Curry powder is also very tasty on roast veg.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 22, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I would like to make some pancakes tomorrow. What are all your favorite vegan pancake recipes?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm not really a pancake eater, so I've not tried these yet, but I bookmarked them in case I ever want pancakes. I've never had a flop with a Chef Nico recipe.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
you can just skip the egg in normal pancakes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My basic, no-frills pancake recipe:

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy milk or other alternative milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine the 4 dry ingredients in a bowl.

Add the milk and vegetable oil to your mixture. Mix together.

Cook.

There's a lot of baking soda which makes them fluffy without eggs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have now collected all three of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and Vegan Pie in the Sky. So expect like....a ton of desserts in the future.

Also I have now had the ultimate vegan experience. Reading the menu for a place friends selected, and the growing sense of "oh boy, cobbling together a meal here is going to be....a thing, isn't it?"

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Also I have now had the ultimate vegan experience. Reading the menu for a place friends selected, and the growing sense of "oh boy, cobbling together a meal here is going to be....a thing, isn't it?"

Oh, that's always fun.
I had a really great one once, though: at the only eatery open for some reason, a waiter told me that the chef doesn't allow changes to the bacon-in-everything menu, but pssst, if you wait 45 minutes before you order, the chef is going to take a break, and his apprentice will make you whatever you want, but shhhh. Had a spectacular salad of mixed grains, nuts and rainbow kale, grilled broccolini with beetroot hummus and whole-roasted garlic, dukkah-crusted tofu, and roasted pumpkin. It was absolutely stellar.

Did you manage to get something you good ?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

Oh, that's always fun.
I had a really great one once, though: at the only eatery open for some reason, a waiter told me that the chef doesn't allow changes to the bacon-in-everything menu, but pssst, if you wait 45 minutes before you order, the chef is going to take a break, and his apprentice will make you whatever you want, but shhhh. Had a spectacular salad of mixed grains, nuts and rainbow kale, grilled broccolini with beetroot hummus and whole-roasted garlic, dukkah-crusted tofu, and roasted pumpkin. It was absolutely stellar.

Did you manage to get something you good ?

We'll see. Heading out there in about half an hour. I check the menus beforehand, so I know what I'm getting into.

Eta: They had a wrap I could make vegan! Also a lot of drinks, so a little bit drunk right now!

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 26, 2022

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have now collected all three of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and Vegan Pie in the Sky. So expect like....a ton of desserts in the future.

My go to is just French fries and salad. It’s easier for everyone involved and I eat out so infrequently now that I remember how God drat delicious French fries are.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It is time for a miscellaneous recipe and video dump!

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/diri-kole-ak-pwa
https://www.beetsandbones.com/russian-sourdough-borodinsky-bread-rye-coriander/
https://spainonafork.com/roasted-spanish-onions-in-white-wine-spices-herbs/
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014323-algerian-okra-potato-and-tomato-tagine
https://woonheng.com/daikon-radish-bun/#recipe
https://www.simplyleb.com/recipe/walnut-stuffed-atayef/
https://www.islandsmile.org/sauteed-mushroom-and-onions/
https://www.tarladalal.com/chana-ghassi-4367r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mq3OnKFaGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIEKTroUJls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSQ0Vsjr_A8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVj-342cXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFoOQP62VHE

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
I've been really enjoying Yeung Man Cooking recipes for some really good vegan friendly asian food that doesn't feel like totally fake garbage. Made the Peanut Satay Ramen recipe for me and my partner the other night and it was really good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blueberry muffins. There's ten more hiding off screen. And my muffin pan looks like I murdered Grimace in it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Is there an equivalent to the russian red rye malt? Because you know...Russia isn't exactly shipping at this time. I don't know much about proper rye malts, just trying to follow some concept of the recipe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there an equivalent to the russian red rye malt? Because you know...Russia isn't exactly shipping at this time. I don't know much about proper rye malts, just trying to follow some concept of the recipe.
The Internet says Fawcett’s Crystal Red Rye Malt should be rather widely available at places that sell home brewing stuff. There are definitely non-Russian sources. Seems like you could also make it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Internet says Fawcett’s Crystal Red Rye Malt should be rather widely available at places that sell home brewing stuff. There are definitely non-Russian sources. Seems like you could also make it.

That's a whole lot of effort to make it

the article posted:

Now you can understand why I would much rather buy the prepared version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This Humble Bundle has a fair number of vegan cookbooks and vegetarian cookbooks, plus a few cookbooks that probably have some vegan stuff (like the Lebanese cookbook). I'm not familiar with any of the books and I haven't bought it (yet?) so I can't vouch for anything.