Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wait until you see the 49" ultra wide monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Hughmoris posted:

Holy moly, a 38" monitor? I remember back in '08ish I thought I was a trend setter amongst my friends with a 27" Samsung panel I got for a steal. People who used it loved the idea of having one big monitor.

Now I'm intrigued on what a 38" monitor would be like to use on a standard computer desk.

big. I have two of the fuckers stacked above one another and they're great, but you need an enormous desk if you don't want a severe crick in your neck.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Origin posted:

Got my new monitor in, so here’s my bad posting station:

i used to have that background

I just do solid dark colours now

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

i used to have that background

I just do solid dark colours now

I just keep a white background and arrange my icons by penis.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I just keep a white background and arrange my icons by penis.

Oh word? How's that uh, organization strategy working out?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh word? How's that uh, organization strategy working out?

Sorry, it reminded me of a classic IT video "The Website is Down" where a sales dude has his desktop icons arranged by penis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Sorry, it reminded me of a classic IT video "The Website is Down" where a sales dude has his desktop icons arranged by penis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

lol I hadn't seen this

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

For a number of years, I've been using a tempered glass L desk, except I've just been using the 2 wings side by side to form sort of a long desk. The left side is for my personal dual monitor setup, and the right side is for dual monitor WFH. This photo is a bit outdated but gives a sense of the setup:

I was working on the right desk when this randomly happened today:

I have no idea how it happened, but I've had the desk for about 12 years and it's been through 3 moves in U-Hauls, so maybe there was a small chip or microfissure that decided today was a good day to die.

For a replacement, something with simple, clean lines would be ideal. I don't have a budget but <$300 would be nice. The combined length of both wings was ~80", depth ~24", desk surface height ~29". I don't think I need a single surface, as 2x40" would probably be cheaper and easier to move around. I also need to decide if I want to replace the WFH side since I'm worried its surface is also a ticking time bomb.

edit: This is probably a good stop gap for the time being: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-tabletop-white-00251135

The default would be to go with the black-brown, but I'm intrigued by the white, though it might be a weird contrast with my walls.

It's been 3 exhausting trips to Ikea but I'm making progress. First trip was getting Linnmon table tops but I discovered my old frames were warped. Second trip was exchanging them for 2x 47" Trotten desks but I finally relented that having separate personal/work spaces was a bit silly. Third trip was exchanging it for a single 63" Trotten desk which I really like, but this "natural" top is actually an ugly taupe. The only other option is white, which I'm okay with, but just ugh.

The main reason I had separate spaces was bc my left monitor was an old Korean DL-DVI which the dock for my work laptop doesn't support. I finally sprung for a pair of 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS, which unfortunately wasn't a huge upgrade since I already had 2x 27" 1440p IPS, but they're matching now with thin bezels. Alas, the stand on the new right monitor goes a couple mm higher than the left. I was already tempted to order another to see if I could get less backlight bleed, but this height difference might put me over the edge.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2022

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if that table leg is reading level your house might have some issues.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
bro, those cables. livin like poo poo.

also having separate personal/work spaces/systems isn’t too silly if you connect to an employer’s vpn or some other tracking poo poo

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 29, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

bro, those cables. livin like poo poo.

also having separate personal/work spaces/systems isn’t too silly if you connect to an employer’s vpn or some other tracking poo poo
For work I have to VPN. I don’t even think my work laptop will connect to the internet without going through the VPN first.

That said, once we return to the office, I could see myself leaving the laptop at work and remoting in from my personal computer like my colleagues who have work desktops instead of a work laptop.

On the topic of cable management, do you guys prefer Velcro or zip ties? I wish there were some loops I could adhere to the underside of my desk to avoid having to screw/drill anything in.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 29, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

velcro, NEVER zip ties

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Josh Lyman posted:

On the topic of cable management, do you guys prefer Velcro or zip ties? I wish there were some loops I could adhere to the underside of my desk to avoid having to screw/drill anything in.

3m makes self adhesive zip tie anchors if you want to go that route. I just have some cheap j channel stuck to the back of the desk.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I use the self-adhesize anchors and zip ties for most things, for the power bricks I use some velcro.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I use velcro for cables since I don't like having to snip cable ties when rearranging things. I have a power strip that has built-in magnets to attach to the underside of my desk though, so I can tie up all my excess cable and the only thing that needs slack is the power strip for when I adjust the desk height.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Josh Lyman posted:

big rolls of velcro ties, then get some command strip anchors.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

well why not posted:

velcro, NEVER zip ties

100%, zip ties are evil. Too easy to overtighten and damage modern cables, without even getting in to how much of a pain in the rear end it makes changing anything. Velcro is wonderful.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Moey posted:

Wait until you see the 49" ultra wide monitors.

I have one at work, it's basically exactly 2x27" monitors. Glorious, but.... a bit much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If it had been a bit taller, like 5120x1600 it would be more interesting :v:

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Weird question to those who got the Husky workbench: did you get it in a box or did it come fully assembled?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AlternateAccount posted:

I have one at work, it's basically exactly 2x27" monitors. Glorious, but.... a bit much.

I requested two 27" monitors at work because 1 27" is our standard deploy with a 34" widescreen being the general rubber-stamped request. For some stupid reason I thought we had dual 27" at home, no, we have dual 24" at home. Director approved my request with IT being like "Really?"

Anyways, yes, it's overwhelming.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Weird question to those who got the Husky workbench: did you get it in a box or did it come fully assembled?

Flat pack style box

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah the Home Depot definitely gave me a floor model, lol. Gonna call corporate tomorrow and ask what the gently caress I guess. Super nice desk though!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Maybe if there are other signs of use, but they delivered my snowblower and gas grill fully assembled for no extra charge.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Yeah the Home Depot definitely gave me a floor model, lol. Gonna call corporate tomorrow and ask what the gently caress I guess. Super nice desk though!

I wouldn't bother unless it's obviously used. And in any case, it's a desk?

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Some scratches and dents, logos broken off, and I found a rental agreement in the drawer. Also lacking the caster feet unless those are sold separately. I'd at least like to get some feet for the desk.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yikes, that's not ok.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, both of mine came with casters. And neither was assembled.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Three Olives posted:

I requested two 27" monitors at work because 1 27" is our standard deploy with a 34" widescreen being the general rubber-stamped request. For some stupid reason I thought we had dual 27" at home, no, we have dual 24" at home. Director approved my request with IT being like "Really?"

Anyways, yes, it's overwhelming.
2x24” 1080p was my work setup for the longest time and it’s more than adequate. However, 2x27” 1440p, if it’s not much more expensive, is totally worth it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

2x24” 1080p was my work setup for the longest time and it’s more than adequate. However, 2x27” 1440p, if it’s not much more expensive, is totally worth it.

I bolded the funny part :v:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Wibla posted:

I bolded the funny part :v:

Look at this elitist jerk! 2x24" 1080p is entirely fine as long as your main monitor is a 32" 4k.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
2x34” is peak performance. please do not speak to me if your monitors aren’t wider than your desk, like me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TenementFunster posted:

2x34” is peak performance. please do not speak to me if your monitors aren’t wider than your desk, like me.

no portrait no sale

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

If one of your monitors isn't at least a 38" UW, are you even trying?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CoolCab posted:

no portrait no sale
im wide

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

looks great man

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Smythe posted:

looks great man
the rocker footrest is the secret to my posting success :c00l:

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

thanks. in honor of this thread being Old and the arrival of my second Samsung Odyssey G7, here's a blurry picture of my Goon Corner:

do not zoom me.

e: and here's my 5pm reminder that it's time to eat:

That is a goddamned good animation cell.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Get more desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Which came first? The big screen or the 3 "little" ones?