Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Another issue I forgot to include in my post above was that the Install Chrome thing in the non Steam game section doesn't do anything. Have to hard reset after since it just disables a bunch of buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Huh, weird. I had none of those issues and all the buttons seem to be working fine for me (512gb deck). I also installed chrome in the non-steam games section and had no problem with it opening when I clicked on it

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I got mine a few days ago and everything seems to be working fine, although now that everyone mentions it there is a difference in intensity between the left and right haptics which I couldn't care less about. My only complaint is the ergonomics of having the Dpad/Left Analog and Buttons/Right Analog on the same axis , which messes with my 25 years of gaming muscle memory which demands they be offset a bit.

The biggest software issue I've had has been trying to install non-steam games. The method of adding Epic Game Store titles to Steam doesn't work for me, but I can launch them from the Heroic Launcher just fine. GOG I've had no luck with at all, it doesn't work through Heroic (yet?) and installing the DRM free installers works but then I'm stuck, hopefully as time goes on that'll get easier to figure out. Anything with an install file is confounding me at this point. Adding the install .exe as a non steam game lets me install the game, but then I don't know what to do with the virtual windows drive it creates, pointing steam to the game's exe within the virtual drive doesn't seem to work, although maybe I'm just unlucky with the titles I've tried. I don't really care since I have a million things to play on this thing already.

Emulation is fantastic.

I picked up a cheap USB-C dongle and it made setting it up much simpler, trying to configure everything on just the deck without a physical keyboard and mouse would have driven me crazy.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 27, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was Q1, moved to Q2. Q2 starts on the 4th right? so drat excited

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Polly Toodle posted:

I got mine a few days ago and everything seems to be working fine, although now that everyone mentions it there is a difference in intensity between the left and right haptics which I couldn't care less about. My only complaint is the ergonomics of having the Dpad/Left Analog and Buttons/Right Analog on the same axis , which messes with my 25 years of gaming muscle memory which demands they be offset a bit.

The biggest software issue I've had has been trying to install non-steam games. The method of adding Epic Game Store titles to Steam doesn't work for me, but I can launch them from the Heroic Launcher just fine. GOG I've had no luck with at all, it doesn't work through Heroic (yet?) and installing the DRM free installers works but then I'm stuck, hopefully as time goes on that'll get easier to figure out. Anything with an install file is confounding me at this point. Adding the install .exe as a non steam game lets me install the game, but then I don't know what to do with the virtual windows drive it creates, pointing steam to the game's exe within the virtual drive doesn't seem to work, although maybe I'm just unlucky with the titles I've tried. I don't really care since I have a million things to play on this thing already.

Emulation is fantastic.

I picked up a cheap USB-C dongle and it made setting it up much simpler, trying to configure everything on just the deck without a physical keyboard and mouse would have driven me crazy.

Is there an epic games store app for Linux? Do all non Steam games have to be added to the steam client while in desktop mode? And then they show up in SteamOS?

I did one game that way. I had to enable the compatibility mode. I also had to fix the Target and Launch Options. The game was in Program Files but the path got split at the space so the Target ended at Program.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

Is there an epic games store app for Linux? Do all non Steam games have to be added to the steam client while in desktop mode? And then they show up in SteamOS?

I did one game that way. I had to enable the compatibility mode. I also had to fix the Target and Launch Options. The game was in Program Files but the path got split at the space so the Target ended at Program.

You gotta go on reddit or something. there's not many people that have the deck here, and those that do are playing it.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

You want the Heroic Games Launcher, it's available as a flatpak from the discover app. You can then add that as a non Steam Game and load it in Game mode to play Epic games. There's a program that's supposed to add your HGL installed games to Steam, but I couldn't ever get them to work that way.

You can open native Linux games in desktop mode without adding to Steam, but I don't think you can load up Proton\Windows stuff without doing so (would love to proven wrong on that.)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Already have an RMA approved, can't complain about that at least for a Saturday night.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the RMA process was largely painless for me. Put in a request last Saturday mid-day (UK time) and had a response from Valve in the evening. The weird thing was that they asked for my phone number so they could call me to try some additional troubleshooting I or something, I responded the same day with my number and good times to call but I guess they decided that was probably a waste of time because then I heard nothing until Tuesday when they sent me a shipping label and the RMA documents.

Would have been nice if they had sent me that on the Saturday I guess, but I wasn't able to get to a DHL drop-off point until yesterday anyway.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

WiFi was spotty as hell, constantly dropping out unless something was downloading, a problem no other device has with my router.

WiFi is the only thing thats a bit bad with my Deck as well. It drops out way too often. My coverage is not great but the Deck is the only device that has these issues. Wouldn't connect to static IP wifi either for unknown reasons, stating "connection to network lost" after trying to connect for minutes. /e just added it via the OS interface, works directly without issues, but switching to the Steam UI again switches the wifi and won't collect the data from the OS

Otherwise I really can't complain, having none of the HW issues. This thing has exceeded my expectations even a bit in a positive way. All games I tried had at worst problems with input methods/issues but rendered great, even 2 of apparently tested and found "incompatible"

haldolium fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 27, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In case someone wanted a tutorial for an easy emulation setup on the deck, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Dramicus posted:

In case someone wanted a tutorial for an easy emulation setup on the deck, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM

Not gonna lie I started looking at doing this on my Windows PC, but then remembered I spent all this time getting my Launchbox setup juuust right and I never use it.

Maybe once I have a Deck (Q2 512 let's go) I can curate a shortlist of games I might actually boot up and do this, but otherwise I'd just be clogging up my Steam library even further beyond what I already have.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Deck has arrived and it's great! Having the thing in my hands has risen a couple questions tho..

So I get that the dock is being sold separately and later. I did think that I read though that the usb-c port can be used to run it to a monitor. So I could plug in a usb-c. To HDMI or something like that, but there are no other ports on the steam deck that I can see. So how would you then get any peripherals hooked up? Part of my thought process in getting the deck was that I could plug it in to a monitor and play some games w the mouse and keyboard, then walk downstairs and plug it into the tv and grab a controller. So do I need to wait for the dock before that's fully realizable? Or I suppose there must be some way to pair a wireless keyboard and mouse straight to the deck, although generally those require the USB dongles.

Also I've had issues launching one game, which is OlliOlli World. It worked the first time I played it but all subsequent attempts get locked on the steam boot up screen with a message saying "running install script". I've tried uninstalling but it just gets hung up on the uninstall screen and never moves forward. On restart the games still installed. Anyone else encounter anything like this either w this game or another?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

Deck has arrived and it's great! Having the thing in my hands has risen a couple questions tho..

So I get that the dock is being sold separately and later. I did think that I read though that the usb-c port can be used to run it to a monitor. So I could plug in a usb-c. To HDMI or something like that, but there are no other ports on the steam deck that I can see. So how would you then get any peripherals hooked up? Part of my thought process in getting the deck was that I could plug it in to a monitor and play some games w the mouse and keyboard, then walk downstairs and plug it into the tv and grab a controller. So do I need to wait for the dock before that's fully realizable? Or I suppose there must be some way to pair a wireless keyboard and mouse straight to the deck, although generally those require the USB dongles.

Also I've had issues launching one game, which is OlliOlli World. It worked the first time I played it but all subsequent attempts get locked on the steam boot up screen with a message saying "running install script". I've tried uninstalling but it just gets hung up on the uninstall screen and never moves forward. On restart the games still installed. Anyone else encounter anything like this either w this game or another?

You can plug in a dongle, you can connect a Bluetooth kb/m, or you can buy any old usb-C hub and plug the kb/m into that.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

untzthatshit posted:

I am using this and it works great, gives you HDMI out, three USB ports and ethernet. Also bought a short USB-C extension so this mess of cables doesn't hang directly off the back of the deck.

https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Ethernet-Delivery-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B07H2ZS1B5

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Polly Toodle posted:

I am using this and it works great, gives you HDMI out, three USB ports and ethernet. Also bought a short USB-C extension so this mess of cables doesn't hang directly off the back of the deck.

https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Ethernet-Delivery-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B07H2ZS1B5

Ok cool, this looks perfect. And happens to be on sale, will grab one of those right now!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Probably really old but I just saw Steam's dock design.

Is there any technical reason the port couldn't be added to the bottom like the Switch?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barreft posted:

Probably really old but I just saw Steam's dock design.

Is there any technical reason the port couldn't be added to the bottom like the Switch?
Valve decided against it after seeing how much strain a bottom dock port could put on the usb-c connector given the weight of the deck

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The United States posted:

Valve decided against it after seeing how much strain a bottom dock port could put on the usb-c connector given the weight of the deck

Then raise the back of the dock like the Switch, that's dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have bad news for you we are well past that mattering

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Barreft posted:

Probably should cancel your preorder and wait for them to fix it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barreft posted:

That doesn't fix anything, damaged switch dock ports are incredibly common

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The United States posted:

That doesn't fix anything, damaged switch dock ports are incredibly common

as you say

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like Valve should support eGPUs for Decks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jokes posted:

I feel like Valve should support eGPUs for Decks.
The Steam Deck does not have a thunderbolt port

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Steam Deck should get a thunderbolt port

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are so niche though. The enclosures also aren’t cheap.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Also Intel patent iirc.

Edit: Quick google search suggests thunderbolt 3 at least was made royalty free back in 2017.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 28, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

lol that would add so much to the cost

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wonder if the port is at the top so it's less likely to interfere when you're resting the big boi on your lap, a table etc.

It should have a couple ports though, really.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

jokes posted:

The Steam Deck should be rack mountable.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Breakfast All Day posted:

The Steam Deck should be rack mountable.

The Steam Deck should be liquid cooled

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jokes posted:

The Steam Deck should be made into a console with a controller. Maybe call it a Steam Thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s (almost) Q2. Where’s my e-mail, Gabe?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I wonder if the port is at the top so it's less likely to interfere when you're resting the big boi on your lap, a table etc.

It should have a couple ports though, really.

Prefer anything to having it on the bottom. Trying to play a plugged-in Switch in handheld is miserable

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

jokes posted:

It can already be oil immersed out of the box.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s (almost) Q2. Where’s my e-mail, Gabe?

hopefully in an hour or two?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

hopefully in an hour or two?

this came to pass. Finally got my email, so any other Q1s should have by now as well.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Rosalie_A posted:

this came to pass. Finally got my email, so any other Q1s should have by now as well.

I got my email today, too. Checked out only for my bank to send a text asking if I had made a purchase from Valve. Replied yes. "Thanks. The transaction was canceled. Have the merchant create a new transaction." Of course.

Edit: This doesn't have a strikethrough in my acct purchase history and is showing as pending via my bank, so I am not gonna bug support about it yet. Godspeed, transaction. The person at the bank said sometimes Valve tries a second attempt but I think they're Q3 sabotaging my order to get theirs sooner! :argh:

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Q1, still no email, nothing in spam or trash. Reservation page still says Q1.