Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1507810161871704075

quote:

Despite its importance, equilibrium climate sensitivity is very uncertain and for many years the standard estimate has been 1.5°C to 4.5°C. In its 5th Assessment Report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) gave these values as the “likely range”, which meant it considered there was at least a 66% chance that it fell within this range. Or, in other words, it judged there was up to a 33% chance that warming would either be less than 1.5°C or more than 4.5°C.

The new study suggests that this “likely range” has narrowed to, at most, 2.3°C to 4.5°C – or possibly an even narrower range*. The lower end of the range has therefore risen substantially, meaning that scientists are now much more confident that global warming will not be small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the next cope summit should really get on that if we want the temperature rise limited to 1.5C

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Remember when they thought it was possible to keep warming under 2C they called anything above that catastrophic. Watch for them to quietly extend it to 3C and then 4

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

right so 6-8 degrees will be what actually happens

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

We're at 420 now, so that's 140 to go. It took us about 50 years to add 140 last time but lmao it's not the 70s anymore I bet we can get there in 3 decades. Hell yeah.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

T-Paine posted:

Remember when they thought it was possible to keep warming under 2C they called anything above that catastrophic. Watch for them to quietly extend it to 3C and then 4

Best not to worry people

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It was Teflon, not plastic, iirc.

Also iirc Teflon never ever breaks down lower than a certain point and is a long term permanent pollutant compared to plastic, which is pretty loving long term already.

They were just pouring the side products into gutters and poo poo, nobody cared until entire farms of cows were foaming at the mouth and dying & we still don't care.

You're 100% right, it was Teflon. And like all the workers that had worked on it had died except for one guy who was still actively dying and desperately trying to get the word out or for anything at all to be done. loving horrifying

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I've been slowly reconnecting with old friends I haven't seen since the start of the pandemic and all of them are self proclaimedly doombrained and its actually a really nice moment of bonding when we can look eachother in the eye and say "it's been good to have friends like you. Let's see what happens" :3

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I've been slowly reconnecting with old friends I haven't seen since the start of the pandemic and all of them are self proclaimedly doombrained and its actually a really nice moment of bonding when we can look eachother in the eye and say "it's been good to have friends like you. Let's see what happens" :3

:unsmith:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It was Teflon, not plastic, iirc.

Also iirc Teflon never ever breaks down lower than a certain point and is a long term permanent pollutant compared to plastic, which is pretty loving long term already.

They were just pouring the side products into gutters and poo poo, nobody cared until entire farms of cows were foaming at the mouth and dying & we still don't care.

PFAS and PFOA. The news out of Maine re: ground and water contamination recently is horrifying in its own accord without thinking about how it’s found in the blood of 99% of Americans.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Feral Integral posted:

You're 100% right, it was Teflon. And like all the workers that had worked on it had died except for one guy who was still actively dying and desperately trying to get the word out or for anything at all to be done. loving horrifying
perfect confidentiality

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://www.fastcompany.com/90521397/our-fruits-and-veggies-are-sucking-up-microplastics-through-their-roots

quote:

Microplastics—tiny pieces of plastic less than 5 millimeters in length—can now be found throughout the ocean and all over protected national parks. They’ve been found in our seafood, salt, and even beer. Now, new research has shown that microplastics can penetrate the roots of crops, traveling up the plant into the parts we eat.

Two peer-reviewed studies published today highlight the presence of microplastics in our food and call for more research into the relationship between plastic and our health. One from the University of Catania, in Italy, and published in Environmental Research found microplastics in produce from both supermarkets and local produce sellers in Catania. Researchers took samples of carrots, lettuce, broccoli, potatoes, apples, and pears, showing for the first time, they say, the presence of these tiny pieces of plastic in fruits and vegetables that we eat.

Another study published in Nature Sustainability from researchers at Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research, in China, and Leiden University, in the Netherlands, found that cracks in the roots of lettuce and wheat crops can take in microplastics from the surrounding soil and water. Those microplastics can then travel from the roots up to the edible parts of the crop. Though researchers already knew that very, very small particles—about 50 nanometers in size—could penetrate plant roots, Willie Peijnenburg, an environmental toxicology professor at Leiden University, says his study found that particles about 40 times that size can get into plants as well.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Reading this and thinking about the widespread use of plastics in agriculture

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i like when they just till huge plastic sheets used every season right into the soil because

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

still wondering how they're showing up in salt.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

FFT posted:

still wondering how they're showing up in salt.

Hopefully only in sea salt (lol, I know the answer is gonna depress me)

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

As long as I can still use pink salt without worrying about microplastic :smith:

Rime posted:

PFAS and PFOA. The news out of Maine re: ground and water contamination recently is horrifying in its own accord without thinking about how it’s found in the blood of 99% of Americans.

Ah so it's already endemic? why worry

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Encrypted posted:

As long as I can still use pink salt without worrying about microplastic :smith:

i heard it's pink from aluminum oxide/other contamination and the whole Himalayan salt bullshit is marketing to sell dirty salt

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Protagonist posted:

i heard it's pink from aluminum oxide/other contamination and the whole Himalayan salt bullshit is marketing to sell dirty salt

Aluminum oxide is white, almost the same color as salt.

Chromium or iron oxides are much better candidates for pink

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the black blood of gaia seeps everywhere. the taint is inescapable

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

death was a certainty anyway.

what, me worry?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

the black blood of gaia seeps everywhere. the taint is inescapable
a little hydrocarbon blood magic never hurt anybody

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

How would one check the level of PFAS and PFOA in their area?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

The Demilich posted:

How would one check the level of PFAS and PFOA in their area?

You'd need to do a biopsy. Contact your gynecologist

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Aluminum oxide is white, almost the same color as salt.

Chromium or iron oxides are much better candidates for pink

This is true when it's by itself but being doped into other substances can do funny things to light, you're probably right tho

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the climate lab is on fire
https://twitter.com/anidasguptawri/status/1507875157632864278

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Love it when the horror is also hilarious

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

because the lab was destroyed we can't draw any conclusions about the environment

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
yeah, uh, here's some emperial research; your poo poo is on fire and completely hosed up

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
study of fire interrupted by fire

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

well now we definitely can't say for sure that any theoretical changes to the climate or damage to the biosphere had anything to do with anything, let alone if humans were involved

we'll just have to sit tight and assess what can be done without decreasing the global energy supply or costing businesses any money

or the government any money

in fact, it would be best if any efforts were purely a result of consumer choice on the free market which which in no way whatsoever has its rules set involving massive ongoing subisidies, tax breaks, and regulatory favor from the government

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

“maybe unrelated”

lol

lmao

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

I just watched a YouTube video about it. It's from an ancient lakebed (now underground) in Pakistan but it's basically nothing much different from regular salt

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Feral Integral posted:

After this this post I did some searches and the government was Very Angry and ordered them to stop doing it and in the first inspection after the order they got caught in the process of pouring the toxic waste into a river lol

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

IAMKOREA posted:

We're at 420 now, so that's 140 to go. It took us about 50 years to add 140 last time but lmao it's not the 70s anymore I bet we can get there in 3 decades. Hell yeah.

its gonna be tough keeping the burn rate high when famine and violence start taking a toll on consumption, but i have faith in us

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Wakko posted:

its gonna be tough keeping the burn rate high when famine and violence start taking a toll on consumption, but i have faith in us

gotta do something with the bodies, especially when extreme bursts of arctic and probably soon antarctic air break all the power lines like texas because our infrastructure system is lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Wakko posted:

That’s what Crypto is for, OP.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

T-Paine posted:

You'd need to do a biopsy. Contact your gynecologist

Microplastics? In my vagina?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1508003218772697088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

What a stupid way to frame your title
https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1508010700748242944
Why should we assume it's EVER good news? What is wrong with the media