Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The microwave :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Big boomer mentality. Sorry is a magic word that absolves you of blame. You can just keep being an rear end in a top hat as long as you say sorry without any commitment to not repeat the behaviour.

Literally the core theology of Protestantism.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
My parents deal with the non-adjusting clocks in their kitchen by always having one at summer time and one at winter time so that at least one of them is always right. Pure chaos

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This cartoon really encapsulates how much Stantis pines for a return to normality, or his standard for it.

Who is Kevin now? First he was a Bill Clinton stand-in, but pivoted to Obama has he became the standard-bearer for the Democrats. Now he’s bragging about Trump endorsement, so he’s now a Republican sycophant? The beauty of symbols is that you can have multiples, so you can have another character be your generic GOP Guy. I mean we’ve had one for over a century now, and you work in animal people. But no, let’s recycle this rabbit for the fifth time now.

And Hunny Bunny is just part of a greater Boomer conservative mourning that Hillary’s political career is truly gone, and they no longer have a common enemy. Just another dude who can’t accept that time is moving onward, and Hillary just has to run in 2024, reality be damned.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

He's a loving coward who didn't want to bring the Trump Skunk back, OP.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He used the Trump skunk a few weeks ago

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

i get around it by not caring about that one clock

in my case it's my car

It will be correct again in six months.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Who is Kevin now? First he was a Bill Clinton stand-in, but pivoted to Obama has he became the standard-bearer for the Democrats. Now he’s bragging about Trump endorsement, so he’s now a Republican sycophant? The beauty of symbols is that you can have multiples, so you can have another character be your generic GOP Guy. I mean we’ve had one for over a century now, and you work in animal people. But no, let’s recycle this rabbit for the fifth time now.
Somewhere along the line Kevin became the senator for the Lefty Tea Party which speaks volumes about how Stantis copes with the elements of conservative politics he doesn't like.

Hunny Bunny is hilarious because while she's obviously meant to be Hillary Stantis never puts in any of her politics and won't give her up so we end up with a character whose main trait is her tenacity who we are meant to hate in comparison to the heroes who never do anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Big boomer mentality. Sorry is a magic word that absolves you of blame. You can just keep being an rear end in a top hat as long as you say sorry without any commitment to not repeat the behaviour.

It's also like one of the first things parents teach their kids, that just saying sorry isn't enough. So yeah, AGC.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trapezium Dave posted:

Somewhere along the line Kevin became the senator for the Lefty Tea Party which speaks volumes about how Stantis copes with the elements of conservative politics he doesn't like.

Hunny Bunny is hilarious because while she's obviously meant to be Hillary Stantis never puts in any of her politics and won't give her up so we end up with a character whose main trait is her tenacity who we are meant to hate in comparison to the heroes who never do anything.

also if i remember right he actually did mention Hillary Clinton by name once so somehow they both exist

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Trapezium Dave posted:

So Hunny Bunny is Leslie Knope and Kevin is Jeremy Jamm, except without the personality, characterization, or humor. Sounds about right.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pants Donkey posted:

This cartoon really encapsulates how much Stantis pines for a return to normality, or his standard for it.

I think the most telling part is how Carmen has yet to bring up even one of her "ideas." Obviously because her politics are pretty much mainstream republican but going back to dogwhistles and weasel words instead of being extremely open with how much of a bigot you are.

I know it's probably above his effort level, but I like to imagine he's just spinning his wheels until he can come up with a sales pitch that encapsulates the brilliance of "basically Trump but less honest" that he knows he'll come up with any second now.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know it's probably above his effort level, but I like to imagine he's just spinning his wheels until he can come up with a sales pitch that encapsulates the brilliance of "basically Trump but less honest" that he knows he'll come up with any second now.

Hilariously, he completely fails to recognize that the GOP did just that for decades already and he can just go back to repeating the old li(n)es, because people are still unwilling to call them on this poo poo.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Clay Jones

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Yeah I don't know. This is how it showed up at GoComics. The commenters there seem just as confused as I am. I looked at his Creators.com page, but it wasn't uploaded there.

Then I checked Varvel's own page, and it wasn't there either, but this was, which I hadn't seen before:

"Woke"... Handmaid's Tale reference... transphobic message...

Does Varvel read Sinfest? :tinfoil:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tibalt posted:

He's a loving coward who didn't want to bring the Trump Skunk back, OP.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday:kstare:

Not sure how many people ITT read through the that twitter Sinfest retrospective (I recommend it if you're interested in in getting a peak at the history behind the maddness, it's by far the funniest and fastest way to get through decades of Sinfest), but I did and one of the things I picked up while doing so is that the reason this one handmaiden has a zombie face is because she's constantly dissociating due to trauma related to doing sex work. Trauma turning you into a zombie is an interesting idea, except it sort of doesn't work here because A) the whole zombie motif is already being used by the "johnbies" and also the woke mob so the metaphor gets mixed and confusing and B) the zombie handmaiden has the same body type as every other female character in the comic before and after getting traumatized so it's really hard to pick up on that being what happened and instead it just seems like there's a new handmaid character who just happens to have a zombie face. So, yeah, add that to the list of "Ideas that could be interesting if a different author was exploring them, but because they're in Sinfest they're just going to come off as confusing and bad"

....I don't even know where to begin with this one.

Seriously, how do you even put into words whatever this is supposed to be?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday:kstare:

Seriously, how do you even put into words whatever this is supposed to be?

Yay! My wish came through and it doesn't make any sense!
Would think the Ukrainians are the let's say woke forces, cause the Russians have been seen for years as the force against for woke.
But being Sinfest its going to flipflop around depending which way the wind blows.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Every time I think it couldn't possible get dumber it just sneaks up on me and hits me over the head with the world's bluntest 'satire'
Get yourself a crippling drinking habit Ishida, in your case it'd be an improvement.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Two truths" is the only interpretation that make sense, unless Stiglitz is gonna blow all our minds by proving the first caused the other.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's amazing how a phrase misquoted and pulled from context like "they'll own nothing and be happy" could become a crystallizing conspiracy thread for so many conservatives. Like is the idea they just accidentally announced their nefarious conspiracy, hundreds of years in the making?
I know the real answer is that to right wingers, "you can't buy happiness" and "there's more to life than owning things" are twin blasphemies, but it's amusing to think about.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Kosmos posted:

Yay! My wish came through and it doesn't make any sense!
Would think the Ukrainians are the let's say woke forces, cause the Russians have been seen for years as the force against for woke.
But being Sinfest its going to flipflop around depending which way the wind blows.

Yeah, it's kind of incredible that this is what he's going with. "No-nonsense traditional strong manly east would easily overwhelm the degenerate weak effeminate west" has been a staple in Russian propaganda for a while, which western reactionaries have been all too eager to jump onto. Of course it's all nonsense, which is literally being proved in real time right now by Russia severely stalling out in their invasion of Ukraine. And yet this is the exact moment that Ishida decides to double down on that line. :psyduck:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By popular demand posted:

"Two truths" is the only interpretation that make sense, unless Stiglitz is gonna blow all our minds by proving the first caused the other.
I'm sorry, but no. This is a good ironic juxtaposition provided that you agree with the cartoonist to begin with, and the cartoonist's POV is clear even if you don't. Unironically a good cartoon (other than the opinions).

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

I'm sorry, but no. This is a good ironic juxtaposition provided that you agree with the cartoonist to begin with, and the cartoonist's POV is clear even if you don't. Unironically a good cartoon (other than the opinions).

Is it though? I know that's the intent but it ends up just highlighting how shallow the latest transphobic manufactured outrage is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the beard guy Uncle Sam? Is Uncle Sam dead?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's kind of incredible that this is what he's going with. "No-nonsense traditional strong manly east would easily overwhelm the degenerate weak effeminate west" has been a staple in Russian propaganda for a while, which western reactionaries have been all too eager to jump onto. Of course it's all nonsense, which is literally being proved in real time right now by Russia severely stalling out in their invasion of Ukraine. And yet this is the exact moment that Ishida decides to double down on that line. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's fun to see that the whole macho Russia army was just bunch of nonsense and the people hyping them are either hiding, turned their coats or coping hard.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is it though? I know that's the intent but it ends up just highlighting how shallow the latest transphobic manufactured outrage is.

If you believe (a) transgender athletes are an attack on women and (b) the news is too woke then yes, this cartoon is a classic "look at these hypocrites!!" cartoon. When the hypocrites are real it can be a good cartoon, but often the hypocrites are imagined (see: 80% of Payne's cartoons)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vib Rib posted:

It's amazing how a phrase misquoted and pulled from context like "they'll own nothing and be happy" could become a crystallizing conspiracy thread for so many conservatives. Like is the idea they just accidentally announced their nefarious conspiracy, hundreds of years in the making?
I know the real answer is that to right wingers, "you can't buy happiness" and "there's more to life than owning things" are twin blasphemies, but it's amusing to think about.

Some of them maybe, but the more advanced conspiracy theorists work it into their overall conspiracy. Depending on their flavor, they say the evil rulers of the world either have to tell us their plans due to intergalactic/demonic contract law or that they tell us their plans because they want to brag about it or to make us get used to the idea before it becomes reality.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is the beard guy Uncle Sam? Is Uncle Sam dead?
He is the Pimp and also in charge of the woke church. He replaced the original pimp, a 70s cliche of big coats inhabited by greasy personas, as Ishida pivoted from 2nd Wave terf ideology to white supremacist fascism. Now the pimp is a cleaner, soft-spoken hipster who argues in favor of sex work from the left as a greater part of the woke dogma.

This is first time Anthropomorphic Year’s ability to mess with time is seriously acknowledged, and it’s just “huh, that’s weird.” Like, she has the ability to age people and this dude is seriously going to continue using her as a sex worker. About as maddening as the devil imprisoning 2021 in a regular ol jail when it had been trying to capture her for their own exploitation earlier in the year.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I usually start SMS conversations with "Hi, this is me calling."

Jyrki Vainio did it better.

https://twitter.com/euromaidanpress/status/501095350388940800

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Clay Bennett puts down his pen, and thinks for a moment. "Didn't all the dozens of other cartoons I've drawn of right wing political figures getting punished by the justice system turn out to be completely wrong, and nothing happened to them? Hmm, no, wait, that can't be right, I'd probably have figured out that it's really stupid to keep drawing them if that was true, I'm sure they're all in jail."

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Clay Bennett puts down his pen, and thinks for a moment. "Didn't all the dozens of other cartoons I've drawn of right wing political figures getting punished by the justice system turn out to be completely wrong, and nothing happened to them? Hmm, no, wait, that can't be right, I'd probably have figured out that it's really stupid to keep drawing them if that was true, I'm sure they're all in jail."

I'm proud of myself from disconnecting from corporate media so much that I have no idea who Bennet's inconsequential villain of the week is anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dracula Factory posted:

I'm proud of myself from disconnecting from corporate media so much that I have no idea who Bennet's inconsequential villain of the week is anymore.

You’re disconnected from media and the news and reality generally. She’s far from inconsequential.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

You’re disconnected from media and the news and reality generally. She’s far from inconsequential.

Calm down dude, I know who she is, it's just every week bennet has some new R that is DEFINITELY going to see the truth this time because of all the buzz.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You should stick to your guns and claim ignorance of Clarance Thomas' wife til your dying day on this website.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Vladimir Putin plays poisoner’s poker – The looming spectre of chemical weapons in Ukraine"

Sunday Telegraph:

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

From Marge Simpson to Susan Kennedy: TV’s best mums!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dracula Factory posted:

Calm down dude, I know who she is, it's just every week bennet has some new R that is DEFINITELY going to see the truth this time because of all the buzz.

I'd love for someone to compile every one of those comics to just see them all laid out & to find out just how many different people he has drawn that kind of comic for, though it's definitely an insane amount of work that wouldn't be worth it!

(Hard mode: compiling all of his ANY DAY NOW comics in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
He's done multiple ones for Trump, he's done at least one for Mark Meadows, I'm fairly certain he's done one for Matt Gaetz (to be fair, he might eventually be right on that one, but so far nothing), and that's all the ones I can think of and am not going to waste time checking.