Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t really agree or get peoples issue with 2014 but I also at the same have realized using gotcha tactics to discredit others opinions to be super annoying.

People feel what they feel. Idk stop trying to shame them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like my post came across as too focused on Cranston. I was dissapointed he wasn't in it for very long.

But that's not why I didn't like it. As I said before, I thought it actually did a ton of cool stuff. I had difficulty PHYSICALLY seeing it, which as someone said was a problem with some of the releases. I even said I'd rewatch it to see what I thought.

It's also ok for me to just not like it that much. There's plenty of Godzilla movies I adore, and only a few I don't like.

Totally fair. I think folks focused on Cranston on account of that topic has come up in this thread a few times before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I knew Cranston was gonna die halfway through when the cast said “…and Bryan Cranston” lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Totally fair. I think folks focused on Cranston on account of that topic has come up in this thread a few times before.

And I apologize if I brought up a sensitive/overdone topic itt, I'm fairly new to the thread.

I'm going to give Godzilla 2014 a rewatch tonight with a fresh pair of eyes/expectations. I'm assuming if I just rent it from Amazon (or is it streaming anywhere?) I'll have the "fixed" version and not the version with the lighting issues?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Funnily enough godzilla 14 was why i watched breaking bad in the first place, i knew zilch about bryan cranston before that point

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It might be, I think the new version was introduced with the 4K UHD but I don't know what the policy is on updating VOD etc

My OG blu ray is okay to watch so long as I do so in as dark an environment as possible.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The UHD is really well done and worth having if you like the movie and have a player for it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HannibalBarca posted:

The screen-time debate is a red herring and a madness rune, but it does seem pretty unavoidably correct to me that G'14 isn't "about" Godzilla in any meaningful way -- the plot is driven by the MUTOs, and all of our major characters (aside from Serizawa, who could be generously described as "poorly sketched") have their own emotional and narrative arcs driven by the MUTOs. Godzilla is just a way to resolve the plot.

This assertion only makes sense if you are looking at things exclusively in terms of plotting while ignoring narrative.

The narrative is about the Cranston character’s frustrated pursuit of Justice, which is resolved through Godzilla’s actions. It is also about the T-J character reaching an understanding about his dead father by observing Godzilla’s actions.

If you were to ‘fix the plot’ by removing Godzilla from the film’s narrative, you would have a movie where some bugs attack San Fransisco and then randomly die.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The narrative is about the Cranston character’s frustrated pursuit of Justice, which is resolved through Godzilla’s actions. It is also about the T-J character reaching an understanding about his dead father by observing Godzilla’s actions.

"The narrative is resolved through Godzilla's actions" is not mutually exclusive with my previous statement (edit: I am stricken with a horrible vision of the future where we try to parse the definition of plot vs. narrative), and the idea that ATJ reaches an "understanding" about Cranston "by observing Godzilla's actions" is obviously undermined by the fact that he pretty clearly reaches an understanding with his father around the time that he's kidnapped by government goons for investigating the not-irradiated nuclear disaster site.

quote:

If you were to ‘fix the plot’ by removing Godzilla from the film’s narrative, you would have a movie where some bugs attack San Fransisco and then randomly die.

Non-sequitur. Aside from the fact that I don't advocate "fixing the plot" by removing Godzilla, you could say the same thing about Hedorah in "Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster", a movie that is also not really about Godzilla (albeit arguably moreso than G'14, given how it's a pivot point between anti-hero and super-hero in the Showa films).

Yes, yes, I know that interacting with SMG posts is the way to madness, but I have nothing better to do today.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 26, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HannibalBarca posted:

he pretty clearly reaches an understanding with his father around the time that he's kidnapped by government goons for investigating the not-irradiated nuclear disaster site.

The distinction between plot and narrative is very easy to understand: in Godzilla 2014, the plot spans 60 years, while the narrative is covered in roughly two hours. In the plot, Godzilla is a large dinosaur, while the creature in the narrative is a curious computer-generated phantom.

In other words, plot is simply what literally happens in the diegesis, while narrative is how things are presented to the audience.

Your example shows the confusion: you believe that young Brody understands his father at roughly the first act, before Godzilla even shows up. In actuality, this occurs much later in the film - in the scene where he and Godzilla make eye contact.

This is because the plot exposition, where they say “let’s go investigate these sonic waves”, is distinct from the narrative, which is about young Brody’s persistent feelings of abandonment. The father dies before any of those issues can be addressed.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 27, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I always liked Godzilla as a mutated iguana like in the original more than a mutated dino.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think that's only the 1998 one. It's interesting how his origin changes, in the original series he is a prehistoric reptile that is awakened by bomb tests, and although not specifically stated it is implied that is how he got his breath. In the second series he's a normal dinosaur heavily mutated by the bomb. 1998 he is an iguana. In 14 he is a prehistoric reptile but it is said that his atomic breath was just a natural part of his physiology as he is from a time when there was more radiation.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

a mutated iguana like in the original

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the G vs Hedorah comparison isn’t that far off. One of the things I like about G14 is it subtly gives us the heroic Godzilla of the later Showa films- perhaps only by circumstance because the MUTOs are a greater threat, but it’s a clever subversion of expectations.

The entire movie is basically humanity reacting to the revelation that these giant beasts exist and walk among them. There are almost no scenes that aren’t about that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Karloff posted:

I think that's only the 1998 one. It's interesting how his origin changes, in the original series he is a prehistoric reptile that is awakened by bomb tests, and although not specifically stated it is implied that is how he got his breath. In the second series he's a normal dinosaur heavily mutated by the bomb. 1998 he is an iguana. In 14 he is a prehistoric reptile but it is said that his atomic breath was just a natural part of his physiology as he is from a time when there was more radiation.

That's what I was thinking of, got em confused. I remember he was an iguana in ONE of the movies lol

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the G vs Hedorah comparison isn’t that far off. One of the things I like about G14 is it subtly gives us the heroic Godzilla of the later Showa films- perhaps only by circumstance because the MUTOs are a greater threat, but it’s a clever subversion of expectations.

The entire movie is basically humanity reacting to the revelation that these giant beasts exist and walk among them. There are almost no scenes that aren’t about that.

Yeah that's always been my way of thinking about G'14: a far more technically competent re-do of Godzilla vs. Hedorah/the Smog Monster. Obviously you can't really chalk that up to Banno being (at least slightly) involved in both, but it's an interesting parallel.

I just wish the first Godzilla movie of the Monsterverse (sigh, hate that name) series had been more about Godzilla himself, as opposed to aping a nineth-time sequel.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The best human/kaiju moment is when Madison turns to see Godzilla coming after he saves her from Ghidorah and has the grin. Yeah, loving Godzilla is coming and is on my side, three headed rear end in a top hat.

I like how KOTM plays around with Godzilla as the hero. The humans realize he's the good character because their needs align and Godzilla has no particular interest in hurting humans. Its disappointing how they reference that this might change in the future, start to play with it in GvK but then drop it entirely beyond he's mad about Ghidorah still being sort of alive? Something where the plot was more directly that the needs of all humanity being at odds with the needs of the Titans would have been better than just having him stopping some scheme from Bad Guys while Kong farts around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

And in most of those godzilla plays the same role he does in 2014, showing up at the end to fight the monster of the week parallel to the human characters resolving whatever their conflict is. 2014 absolutely gets the structure of the Showa movies.

That's fine for when you get several films deep, but if it's the very first film of a new franchise and it's called Godzilla but then it turns out it's mostly about something other than Godzilla then that feels like a switcheroo to me.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Bring back Godzillasaurus imo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SuddenCactus posted:

Bring back Anguirus imo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's fine for when you get several films deep, but if it's the very first film of a new franchise and it's called Godzilla but then it turns out it's mostly about something other than Godzilla then that feels like a switcheroo to me.

That's effectively claiming that Godzilla Vs. Hedorah is a bad movie that would have failed (artistically?) without the broader context of the franchise to support it. Like, as if you simply can't have Godzilla Vs. Hedorah without multiple films' worth of "worldbuilding" to justify it. Why is anyone beholden to the logic of the franchise?

In actuality, Godzilla Vs. Hedorah immediately establishes everything important when the kid protagonist picks up his favorite toy dinosaur and says "Godzilla is a superman!" This sets up the part, later in the movie, where the goofy dinosaur Godzilla shows up and acts like a superman. There is intertextuality with the other films (e.g. the vision of humanity as a mass of dying fish, being a callback to the Oxygen Destroyer in Gojira), but none of it is 'required viewing'.

In the case of Godzilla 2014, the opening scenes quickly establish that young Brody likes kaiju films and (perhaps specifically) The Empire Strikes Back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The entire film is about Godzilla and his place as the great equalizer on our planet.

His presence is all over the film even if he isn’t physically on screen.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The entire film is about Godzilla and his place as the great equalizer on our planet.

His presence is all over the film even if he isn’t physically on screen.

I feel like here we have the difference between casual viewers and Godzilla nerds (not that I'm calling you a casual viewer Snowglobe of Doom!)

To the average viewer who likes Godzilla but isn't a nerd/expert, they're going to see a movie called GODZILLA 2014 and be disappointed and feel switcharoo'd because they wanna see a huge hulking monster and he's really not in it that much and it's mostly about the MUTO's.

A hardcore fan will probably have a take closer to CelticPreds, "His presence is felt throughout the film even if he isn't on screen"

Both opinions are totally reasonable and totally valid despite being at odds with each other. For someone like me, who considers himself more than a casual fan but far from a hardcore expert, I leaned a little more toward the "switcharoo" side, but I do think CelticPred makes a good point about his presence being throughout the movie even if he isn't physically onscreen. I hadn't really considered that, but it's very true.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m actually pretty far from a hardcore lol. I’ve only seen a handful of them, and legit seeing Godzilla 2014 in theaters was absolutely one of the best film experiences I’ve ever had.

The build up to every scene felt amazing and then finally when it popped off and Godzilla used his atomic breath the entire theater went apeshit and I feel like that can only happen if the film is building and building.

But to me the entire mood and feel of it is what makes it one of my favorites of all time. The tsunami coming in to lead into Godzilla’s first appearance is so much more effective to me than if he just appeared honestly.

In fact, I think I’m gonna watch it now!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was born in 1998, so growing up the only really big budget Hollywood Godzilla movie we had was the 98 version. I loved watching the old suit ones, but it's pretty cool now seeing my nephew grow up with the huge budget Monsterverse movies.

I'ma join ya in the rewatch today, I've been meaning to get around to it!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got the UHD so it fixes the bad bad bad dark problem of the blu ray. That was what pushed me into getting a UHD in the first place lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I got the UHD so it fixes the bad bad bad dark problem of the blu ray. That was what pushed me into getting a UHD in the first place lol

Can you stream UHD or is it something that can only be bought on disc? I don't have an UHD but my brother does and I'm gonna use his, I don't know much about UHD TVs versus regular

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's necessarily polarizing along those lines- Godzilla isn't some kind of obscure nerd character you have to make an effort to introduce and explain, he's a household name. A lot of people's first Godzilla movie was just some random entry in the series that they caught on TV, or maybe even the 1998 movie. At the minimum they know Godzilla as a concept, big monster, smashes cities, fights other big monsters who smash cities.

So going in you know that, and the film is basically a more "realistic", worm's-eye-view of that whole situation- nobody has a clear view of what's happening. It's like Cloverfield in that regard, a big monster attack seen from the perspective of the people living it, except not found footage and the "attack" is a more complex thing. I don't think it's hard to put those two things together.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think it's necessarily polarizing along those lines- Godzilla isn't some kind of obscure nerd character you have to make an effort to introduce and explain, he's a household name. A lot of people's first Godzilla movie was just some random entry in the series that they caught on TV, or maybe even the 1998 movie. At the minimum they know Godzilla as a concept, big monster, smashes cities, fights other big monsters who smash cities.

So going in you know that, and the film is basically a more "realistic", worm's-eye-view of that whole situation- nobody has a clear view of what's happening. It's like Cloverfield in that regard, a big monster attack seen from the perspective of the people living it, except not found footage and the "attack" is a more complex thing. I don't think it's hard to put those two things together.

I think it's for that exact reason that a lot of casual fans were disappointed in the film. I saw the movie with my old man, who is pretty much what you described he knows the cultural phenomena of Godzilla and might've seen a movie or two but in general hasn't really seen them. So he expected a giant monster who smashes cities and fights other monsters, then got this movie where, as you said, NOBODY has a clear view of what's going on, everyone's chasing MUTO's, and Godzilla is largely obscured in smog.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's like Bergman, the film is about the absence of God...zilla.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Closer to Tarkovsky: God...zilla exists but who can presume to know Him?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2 hours 33 minutes of the Brody family revealing the emotional trauma they've inflicted on one another due to their inability to truly love. Bryan Cranston weeps when he realizes that he's wasted his life pursuing the truth, when man is incapable of even knowing himself. The few audience members left in the theater bolt up in their seats when, at long last, Godzilla appears on the screen. He recites the poem "The Dull Atomic Flame of Desire". The movie ends.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Counterpoint: Entire movie from Godzilla's POV. Bryan Cranston has 15 secs of screentime and it's him getting crushed when Godzilla stomps on a city. Him going "OH NO!" is the only human speech in the movie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do both. Like roshomon.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Got this blind buy in today. Apparently based on a Native American legend! Monster looks p cool. Will report back!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECi2RIiw_7U

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Got this blind buy in today. Apparently based on a Native American legend! Monster looks p cool. Will report back!

let me know, I'm hesitant to blindbuy SRS movies unless it's one of those "how/why the gently caress do they have the license to distribute this?" situations

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

let me know, I'm hesitant to blindbuy SRS movies unless it's one of those "how/why the gently caress do they have the license to distribute this?" situations

Will do! I promised my brother I'd watch it with him so I'll let you know how it is in a few days!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That got me thinking about Day of Destruction, and I checked to see if anything else by the dierector was available. It turns out a couple of his movies got DVD releases that are ages out of print, but loving Britain got two collections containing almost all of his movies

Aside from 9 Souls which is one of the super out of print DVDs, and Wolf's Calling and Day of Destruction, none of those ever got American releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
My main complaint with G14 is and always will be the "titans" stuff they chose to use for all the kaiju and Godzilla not really being Godzilla. They stripped one of the core elements of the character out of him

GvK and KoTM are just kind of a mess all around. They definitely changed what they wanted to do because people complained about the first movie and just ended up going full stupid at every turn