Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
With regards to artillery, I think it might have to do with how the Grand Cannon/Little Grom/Ironblaster's animations have to factor in the beastie pulling them as compared to artillery of prior games being pushed into position. Noticed a lot of the time when my pieces aren't firing, they're turning around at random chasing their tail or need slightly shimmying to unstick them, hopefully the unit responsiveness fixes will help.

Only piece I've noticed that doesn't suffer this as often is the Cathay Rocket Battery, maybe due to how it arcs more dramatically, though that has its own problems of suddenly not arcing and obliterating any poor unit just in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
what was Oxyotl doing for all that time in the chaos realms. was he just confused by the tzeentch portals or what.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

what was Oxyotl doing for all that time in the chaos realms. was he just confused by the tzeentch portals or what.

The chaos realms we see aren't the entirety of the chaos realms. We're busting into each specific chaos realm's equivalent of a province in order to kick a specific daemon prince in the dick before running away.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Infinite stealth kiting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SteelMentor posted:

With regards to artillery, I think it might have to do with how the Grand Cannon/Little Grom/Ironblaster's animations have to factor in the beastie pulling them as compared to artillery of prior games being pushed into position. Noticed a lot of the time when my pieces aren't firing, they're turning around at random chasing their tail or need slightly shimmying to unstick them, hopefully the unit responsiveness fixes will help.

Only piece I've noticed that doesn't suffer this as often is the Cathay Rocket Battery, maybe due to how it arcs more dramatically, though that has its own problems of suddenly not arcing and obliterating any poor unit just in front of it.

The oxen should be on either side of the artillery then

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

He basically became the terror of Chaos and hunted and murdered daemons on end as an invisible Bogeyman. And he got VERY good at it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean just imagine how much better this game would be if the campaign map was just a bunch of provinces, you could move one province a turn, that's it. no more whack a mole, guessing if the last 3% of your movement is enough to get you somewhere, etc. etc. it would cut out so much of the time wasted fiddling with movement and watching the AI with absolutely nothing of value lost.

I'm imagining the original Dawn of War campaign map, and I'm enjoying that image.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I'm fine with the way army movement works. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by dumbing the the whole thing down. There's better ways of addressing things like whack a mole: passive movement buffs in friendly territory, support buildings that buff local movement, AI behavior that has a % chance to make suboptimal decisions or has their vision adjusted, etc.

Regarding passive movement buff, now since wh3 that is already a thing, you do in fact get a 10%(points) movement increase when starting in friendly territory(including allied and vassal controlled regions).
Ofc the game is real bad at indicating this clearly but easy to test urself as when starting a campaign and hovering over movement you will see that you have 110 movement points on your first turn, then end turn in a enemy region and next turn you should have just the base 100 points.

Also to note on movement; the tooltips are all outdated and refer to % when its actually using a movement Points costs for each stance.
Ambush stance for example requires 25 points not 25%.

Yeah this game is a mess with its ui and bad information.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Oops doublepost :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Choyi posted:

Regarding passive movement buff, now since wh3 that is already a thing, you do in fact get a 10%(points) movement increase when starting in friendly territory(including allied and vassal controlled regions).
Ofc the game is real bad at indicating this clearly but easy to test urself as when starting a campaign and hovering over movement you will see that you have 110 movement points on your first turn, then end turn in a enemy region and next turn you should have just the base 100 points.

Also to note on movement; the tooltips are all outdated and refer to % when its actually using a movement Points costs for each stance.

Holy poo poo lmao
Thank you for sharing this.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
can someone breakdown how unit exchanges and hero embeds use your move points?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vashro posted:

can someone breakdown how unit exchanges and hero embeds use your move points?
I cant really break it down fully but can explain it as far as I understand it. Essentially, the game tracks each lord, hero, and unit's movement individually and no army can move farther than that individual's max that turn. However, heroes and units in a lord's army can always move the speed of the lord leading the army that they are in when they start their turn in that army.

So, Lords and Heroes each have a certain amount of movement points per turn, so using what Choyi shared... if a Lord has 100 movement points and a hero has 110, if the hero uses 20 points to move then embed into the Lord's army, the combined Lord and Hero could move 90 points that turn, and on following turns would only use the Lord's movement profile.

The same goes for units moving from one lord's army to another. If you have two lords with armies and 100 movement points each, if one army moves 50 movement then moves any of its units into the other lord's army, the game accounts for the units having already moved that turn and thus the lord that received the units would be capped at 50 movement points that turn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 27, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame, almost, that you cannot peasant railgun your way to moving an army halfway across the continent by swapping the units between a daisy chain of lords.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Choyi posted:

OK this makes a lot of sense, because I had assumed encamp was 50% of movement but was confused to see I could encamp when lower than that. This means that all that bonus movement is progressively more useful since the movement costs of other stances are flat.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

A shame, almost, that you cannot peasant railgun your way to moving an army halfway across the continent by swapping the units between a daisy chain of lords.

you could indeed do something very much like that in three kingdoms, provided you had a huge number of deployable armies in that turn

Panfilo posted:

I'm fine with the way army movement works. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by dumbing the the whole thing down. There's better ways of addressing things like whack a mole: passive movement buffs in friendly territory, support buildings that buff local movement, AI behavior that has a % chance to make suboptimal decisions or has their vision adjusted, etc.

I'd like to see more granular difficulty settings too. So you can different iterations of aggression, numbers, and strength.

Regarding AI focus on the player there just needs to be a trait that has the AI biased towards the player, other minor factions or other major factions.

There is going to be a LOT of mod flexibility on AI difficulty in the campaign, CA really improved the framework of how factions work on the campaign map. 3k introduced the concept of 'potential' for factions, which gave faction specific bonuses specific to both difficulty level AND the faction within x and y 'potential' score. These could be adjusted at the start of a game depending on the player faction (so you could have specific rivalries).

In WH3 CA has added a bunch of new tables that monitor all sorts of variables like player has x settlements, player has x allies, turns elapsed, undiscovered factions, ect. (tons more) that allows the scaling of 'potential' beyond just the start of game, it can now adjust itself mid campaign.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 27, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Fire arrow archers are carefully selected from amongst the peasantry who do not stare at the fire, then look at the castle, then back at the fire again.

Lol

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant really break it down fully but can explain it as far as I understand it. Essentially, the game tracks each lord, hero, and unit's movement individually and no army can move farther than that individual's max that turn. However, heroes and units in a lord's army can always move the speed of the lord leading the army that they are in when they start their turn in that army.

So, Lords and Heroes each have a certain amount of movement points per turn, so using what Choyi shared... if a Lord has 100 movement points and a hero has 110, if the hero uses 20 points to move then embed into the Lord's army, the combined Lord and Hero could move 90 points that turn, and on following turns would only use the Lord's movement profile.

The same goes for units moving from one lord's army to another. If you have two lords with armies and 100 movement points each, if one army moves 50 movement then moves any of its units into the other lord's army, the game accounts for the units having already moved that turn and thus the lord that received the units would be capped at 50 movement points that turn.

thanks this explains several of my botched turns. does initiating the unit exchange take move points like if I swap with a camp then exit and swap again?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vashro posted:

thanks this explains several of my botched turns. does initiating the unit exchange take move points like if I swap with a camp then exit and swap again?
Just initiating I think takes a small amount but I'm not positive about that. One thing that noticed in game 2 and thus have thus far avoided doing in game 3 so I'm not sure if it is still a thing, is that if one army is in a stance that effectively lower's a units move, like being encamped stance, if you pull a unit from the army that is in encamped stance into an army that is not, the army that is not in encamped stance gets the movement rate of zero because in encamped stance your movement is set to zero. I'm not sure if that even makes sense but hopefully it will help.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Okay, I'm burnt out now, how much longer to Chorfs

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

smug jeebus posted:

Okay, I'm burnt out now, how much longer to Chorfs

We will probably learn next month when the patch hits.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They don't even have the blood pack out yet nor any eta for it. I think people will be waiting a long time for DLC and Mortal Empires. I'm of the opinion that there were some massive behind the scenes gently caress ups going on during development for this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'm looking forward to Chaos Dwarfs. The impression I get is an even more extreme version of Dwarfs with magic and hobgoblins/Black Orcs. Wouldn't be surprised if they use the slave mechanic from Dark Elves.

It's gonna make Boris Ursis start a huge pain in the rear end, that's for sure since they'll be one province over.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They don't even have the blood pack out yet nor any eta for it. I think people will be waiting a long time for DLC and Mortal Empires. I'm of the opinion that there were some massive behind the scenes gently caress ups going on during development for this.

Hopefully we hear more about this stuff this week, since the 1.1 patch is apparently still due in April, and that is likely to include at least the blood DLC with it. We won't know until we know, though, which makes it frustrating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OwlFancier posted:

... So... a small exploit for y'all. If you're out of movement points and don't have a hero in your army, recruiting and then canceling the recruitment will refund movement points to your units. You can use this for infinite home defense range depending on your patience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gonkish posted:

Hopefully we hear more about this stuff this week, since the 1.1 patch is apparently still due in April, and that is likely to include at least the blood DLC with it. We won't know until we know, though, which makes it frustrating.

1.1 is close to when they said they would share a roadmap.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tried going back to WH2 but eh, I've been there and done that too. I really just want all the stuff I enjoyed in WH2 to also be in WH3 but it seems I'll just have to chill for a few months before that happens

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I revalidated my files as someone suggested and that seemed to solve the artillery derping out, but then it started happening again and this time I remembered what the hotkey to record video was.

https://i.imgur.com/vI1LqmN.mp4

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

I revalidated my files as someone suggested and that seemed to solve the artillery derping out, but then it started happening again and this time I remembered what the hotkey to record video was.

Could the crane gunners be blocking the shots?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
hi so unlocking boris campaign is tied to the steam achievement so if you fight that battle while steam is in offline mode you don’t get the cheevo and gently caress you for not noticing until 100 turns later once you’ve deleted the saved

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scandalous posted:

hi so unlocking boris campaign is tied to the steam achievement so if you fight that battle while steam is in offline mode you don’t get the cheevo and gently caress you for not noticing until 100 turns later once you’ve deleted the saved

Couldn't you just use Steam Achievement Manager to fix that?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Validating your files will never fix issues like this because they are not caused by corrupted data. People who suggest this are the same people who call parts of a game they don't understand "bugged".

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Staltran posted:

Couldn't you just use Steam Achievement Manager to fix that?

and CHEAT???

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scandalous posted:

and CHEAT???

You did the achievement!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lol, does it work if you just press "halt" and then "fire at will" or does it do the same shuffle?

I'm assuming it thinks its gonna hit the gunners at the front.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It really does look to me like they're just being obstructed by the infantry in front, despite it not looking like they should be. Artillery in this game is incredibly finnicky and whiny about LOS.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I've had Kossars fail to shoot at units directly in front of them as well, something's def fucky with ranged units

Also, is anyone disappointed that Horrors don't split?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Also, is anyone disappointed that Horrors don't split?

Nah, from the very beginning it was abundantly clear that implementing it would be a technical and balancing nightmare due to how Total War works. Them spending the required effort and resources on literally anything else was the correct decision.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's a bit :sad:, and the least they could do is not taunt us with the description. Just say it's two different kind of demons. Of course it's not what matters most

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nah, from the very beginning it was abundantly clear that implementing it would be a technical and balancing nightmare due to how Total War works. Them spending the required effort and resources on literally anything else was the correct decision.

[Citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Lt. Lizard posted:

This is already in the game in the form of Clanrats coming out of Hellpit abominations when they die.