Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quackles posted:

As someone who knows nothing about electrical wiring, what's wrong with the picture?

Needs more electrical tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Quackles posted:

As someone who knows nothing about electrical wiring, what's wrong with the picture?

the wiring is so sloppy and incompetent i bet a blind person could have done a better job.

there isn't even really a place to start describing how bad it is. electrical wiring should generally be clean, straight or smoothly curved, no longer than required, properly insulated, strain relieved, securely fastened, not needlessly crossing over or snarled. that wiring job is the opposite of all those things.

here's what a properly wired outlet should look like when you pull it out of the box

contrast:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 27, 2022

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

B.C's Quest for Tires 2077

I just want you to know that I appreciate this reference, and also I would play that game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sagebrush posted:

here's what a properly wired outlet should look like when you pull it out of the box

contrast:

Yikes! That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Quackles posted:

In addition to what's been said, all connections need to be inside an electrical box and not just in the wall touching insulation. Also you need to connect two wires with a wire nut, wago connector, or screw terminal and not just wrap two wires around each other and cover it with electrical tape. The last one didn't look to have any wires attached to the hot terminals which implies either the hot and neutral wires are connected to the same terminals or someone unhooked those wires before saying "gently caress this, where's my camera".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scholtz posted:

Good lord. Hire an electrician, but before you do, cut off all of the outlets. Save her some embarassment

No, gently caress her feelings. Embarrassment is the only way this person will learn not to do something so stupid again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is art.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, gently caress her feelings. Embarrassment is the only way this person will learn not to do something so stupid again.

I've never understood how this happens anyway. I could understand doing things like not twisting the wires together right or stripping the wrong amount of insulation off, but how does someone have no idea what they're doing and then just start running wires without even trying to look it up? "Well, electrical tape has the word 'electrical' right in the name so I guess I'll just tape the wires together to make a connection. Now to cut some holes in the walls and cram some wiring in. I'll screw a black and white wire to the same side, because car batteries have the terminals on the same sides after all. I wonder why they put screws at the top and bottom, there's nothing to attach them to? Now, should I attach this outlet to the wall with roofers nails or caulk? Duh, what am I thinking? Obviously that's what drywall screws are for..."

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Cat Hatter posted:

I've never understood how this happens anyway. I could understand doing things like not twisting the wires together right or stripping the wrong amount of insulation off, but how does someone have no idea what they're doing and then just start running wires without even trying to look it up? "Well, electrical tape has the word 'electrical' right in the name so I guess I'll just tape the wires together to make a connection. Now to cut some holes in the walls and cram some wiring in. I'll screw a black and white wire to the same side, because car batteries have the terminals on the same sides after all. I wonder why they put screws at the top and bottom, there's nothing to attach them to? Now, should I attach this outlet to the wall with roofers nails or caulk? Duh, what am I thinking? Obviously that's what drywall screws are for..."

She absolutely must never have been [electrical] shocked in her life :ohdear:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fauxshiz posted:

Man I loving hate how easy the top of the tailgate comes off. Ford ought to give you a handful of those with the truck.

At least they remembered to put the tailgate down.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Sagebrush posted:

the wiring is so sloppy and incompetent i bet a blind person could have done a better job.

there isn't even really a place to start describing how bad it is. electrical wiring should generally be clean, straight or smoothly curved, no longer than required, properly insulated, strain relieved, securely fastened, not needlessly crossing over or snarled. that wiring job is the opposite of all those things.

contrast:

The're the same picture?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing that strikes me is you can't really turn your head far while using that thing without loving up your center of balance, and he's wearing a hoodie thus has extremely limited peripheral vision

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The thing that strikes me is you can't really turn your head far while using that thing without loving up your center of balance, and he's wearing a hoodie thus has extremely limited peripheral vision

I'm sure you could with a bit of practice. It's not that hard to learn how to turn your head/shoulders without changing your balance on a bike or rollerblades. Additionally, the guy would have a pretty good idea of where the car is behind him based on sound, but it's probably too much to assume that he's not listening to music on earbuds.

Don't get me wrong though, those things look like the perfect tool for driving someone's face into asphalt at a high speed

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Where he's going there is no need for peripheral or any other kind of vision.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://youtu.be/fDaONrHK1f8?t=3

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's not if YOU gently caress up, it's when someone ELSE fucks up.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the only thing that bugs me about the 40mph one wheel thing is the lack of helmet. otherwise do it up. its the cyberpunk future we all wanted

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

yummycheese posted:

the only thing that bugs me about the 40mph one wheel thing is the lack of helmet, boots, gloves, trousers, jacket, elbow-, knee-, and shoulder-armor, and a back protector. otherwise do it up. its the cyberpunk future we all wanted

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna see the cyberwheel brick after a bugus OTA firmware push midrace, like maybe it starts thinking it's a steam oven that doesn't support "throttle", or that someone unplugged the battery in an unauthorized fashion and locks up

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Internet of Cyberwheels

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's a good start, it has potential. Maybe add a few more wheels for stability, also a seat would be nice so you don't have to stand the whole time you're going somewhere. Some sort of steering device so you don't have to depend on leaning all the time.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Nah, forget the steering device, it'd be really efficient if it was much bigger (maybe several coupled together) and on rails.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mauser posted:

Don't get me wrong though, those things look like the perfect tool for driving someone's face into asphalt at a high speed

Don't drink and drive, you might spill yourself

https://i.imgur.com/cOMOZFu.mp4

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle but then I realize eventually you will be in an accident and it will be like 10x worse than if it were a car. Those things make it like 100x.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Forgot katana

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Takuan posted:

My friend's mom decided to do some D.I.Y. electrical work in her house. All new outlets. She couldn't figure out why her breaker kept tripping and called my friend over to investigate.

https://i.imgur.com/dALNhWQ.mp4

Update: It took her 2 days to do this and apparently she was really mad when he told her she can't wire outlets that way.

My friend would like to thank everyone that's responded. It's been cathartic for him to read.

He did re-wire all the outlets properly after he took the video, only thing was he couldn't convince his mom to buy boxes for the exterior walls because "They're $4 a pop!"

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I guess his mom hasn't been shown how much it costs to rebuild a house after an electrical fire that the insurance won't cover...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Organ Donors for All!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Call the county inspector, then. Fire marshal? I dunno.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Takuan posted:

only thing was he couldn't convince his mom to buy boxes for the exterior walls because "They're $4 a pop!"

So she didn’t install exterior outlets right?

Right?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Ror posted:

I made some kinda combo gurgle+grunt noise watching this. That was difficult.

I saw a car yesterday plastered in one wheel stickers and one was something like "respect the lockout" or lockup, or something like that. Is halt and wreck your face a common feature of single wheeled vehicles(?) like this?

I also see that there's a lot of one wheel clothing and stickers with "nosedive" on them so maybe it's well known. I don't think that device is a one wheel but similar idea.

Also how is this OSHA? Because of the road? The schad and OSHA threads need to be merged already. We can all be friends.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Ror posted:

AIEYEEE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

knuthgrush posted:

I made some kinda combo gurgle+grunt noise watching this. That was difficult.

I saw a car yesterday plastered in one wheel stickers and one was something like "respect the lockout" or lockup, or something like that. Is halt and wreck your face a common feature of single wheeled vehicles(?) like this?

I also see that there's a lot of one wheel clothing and stickers with "nosedive" on them so maybe it's well known. I don't think that device is a one wheel but similar idea.

Also how is this OSHA? Because of the road? The schad and OSHA threads need to be merged already. We can all be friends.

https://twitter.com/sirwrender/status/1386367595981336577?s=21&t=_XigkfuDMH0-1unEh4vSkw

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Ror posted:

I'm in Seattle so trust me when I say that you'd be risking your life hoping these awful drivers don't just cut into your lane, hit the brakes, and send you flying until you impact and your head pops like a shabiri grape.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Let me amend my previous statement, full on motoGP airbag suit

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 27, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a good start, it has potential. Maybe add a few more wheels for stability, also a seat would be nice so you don't have to stand the whole time you're going somewhere. Some sort of steering device so you don't have to depend on leaning all the time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Xakura posted:

Let me amend my previous statement, full on motoGP airbag suit

The downhill longboarders have the right idea, at least during races. They wear one piece suits, gloves, and helmets. The rest of the time it just seems to be a helmet but that’s an improvement over so many of the one wheel riders I see.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ror posted:

Someone claimed:

"This happened in Brazil after our monthly electric group ride. This guy drank the whole event 1pm to 5pm and then rode home on an express way (around 90km/h) limit.

He was using darknessbot to monitor his speed and the app lost connection to the wheel and he didn't recieve the warnings.

He was around 60km/h and 40% battery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is a guy around here who rides a heavy duty version of that electric unicycle thing, and he wears basically full motorcycle body armor and looks like a cyberpunk stormtrooper and honestly I think that's pretty cool