Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Dante posted:

Considering Russel is the only mercedes engine starting in the first ten places I wonder what the chances are that every single mercedes supplied team has crippling aero issues, and that there's no correlation with the power unit being the common denominator.

You're saying either/or but tbh it's probably both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

spaceblancmange posted:

I hope this race is uneventful with anyone but Max* winning and everyone can leave this shithole and never return
It's telling that even Verstappen, who after all is known for being virtually unperturbable in such instances, doesn't have much good to say about this track or the racing conditions:

Max "Wallflower" Verstappen posted:

As drivers, we were together a long time and eventually we collectively did decide to drive, but I think that after the weekend we'll continue talking about the situation here. We also made an agreement with the team principals to do so.

(...)

Some parts of this track are very dangerous. That was already the case last year in december when we first raced here, but then there were a few close calls.

With Mick's crash, you can see how fast it is. There are places, like the one where Mick crashed, where you go into the wall with the pedal to the metal. That is highly painful and extremely dangerous.

Even the straights aren't entirely straight. It's littered with blind spots where visibility is limited. If it's just about high speeds and going pedal to the metal, then keep it dead straight. I don't really understand why the track is like this.

Meanwhile, from the same article...

Toto "Everyone Has a Target on Their Back" Wolff posted:

We all love Tel Aviv too where there's drones all over the place. For us western people it's not normal and unacceptable to have a rocket strike ten kilometers from the track. But here these things happen and they're used to it.

I like giving people the benefit of the doubt and that applies here as well. Is Saudi Arabia behaving like we want? No. But I want to give them the chance here to do better in future. By racing we can put the spotlights on this country. That could be more effective than not coming here."

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Initially destined to be used during the 2023 season, the car was used as early as 2022 due to pressure from the team’s main sponsor: Petronus. This resulted in a very hasty and poor design. The car was not tested on track or in any wind tunnel. After the 22 Australian Grand Prix where both cars failed to qualify, Petronus left the project. Then the team directly quit F1.

The car was equipped with a poor and outdated engine, had a wrongly positioned gearbox and well, non-existent aerodynamics. The chassis of the Mercedes-AMG F1 W13 E Performance, was derived from the Lola T93/30 which as its name shows, was designed in 1993. The car was outdated on every front. It remains for many as one of the worst if not the worst F1 car in history.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
checo-sha battle for the wdc would be badass.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Deltasquid posted:

An f1 fan with a girlfriend? Dubious unless it’s Theo

George’s whole “wizened veteran of the sport” schtick where he talked about how Valt was bad cause a Mercedes should not be fighting for p9 or whatever was extremely irritating. Idk what it is about Anglosaxons but all the Britbongs, Canadians and Australians in the sport are just mediocre drivers with overinflated egoes and they’re hyped to hell and back by posters here and by the Anglo press.

Mclaren bad. Lando bad. Russel bad. Ricciardo super bad. I’ll admit I only started watching f1 in 2020 but the whole “Ricciardo is good he just needs to get used to the car stuff” was such transparent coping. He’s funny and a cool dude but WDC material he is not.

I used to think 7 times WDC* Lewis was good but I guess this season shows he’s also mediocre and he was coasting along on Mercedes turbo engines. That, or Red Bull have finally mentally broken him and he should have retired on a high note. It’s a shame but he should probably become an influencer + human rights activist instead.

Wait so he couldnt be good AND had a great car? Its 100% just the merc turbo engines?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
at least 3 of those titles were just coasting on rbr and ferrari being loving trash

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lewis vs that dogshit McLaren he had for years was amazing just for the Prost levels of whine alone.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

Meanwhile, from the same article...

toto was also anti-halo...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

Lewis vs that dogshit McLaren he had for years was amazing just for the Prost levels of whine alone.

Also when he was beaten by Button over a season... which I'm sure George has noticed.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wait so he couldnt be good AND had a great car? Its 100% just the merc turbo engines?
I think the fact that Hamilton was consistently able to significantly outperform Bottas alone is proof enough that he was an excellent driver, but certainly he had a huge advantage in having a highly reliable, super-fast car for years on end. Whether he's finally lost it due to age and/or stress remains to be seen, I think; he was doing well enough compared to Russell at least last weekend. Former Ziggo commentator Olav Mol opined that Hamilton may have purposely botched his qualification yesterday because he's unhappy with the car and wants to force the team to take drastic action. Big lol if true, but I have my doubts.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Deltasquid posted:

An f1 fan with a girlfriend? Dubious unless it’s Theo

uh, about that

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

learnincurve posted:

Initially destined to be used during the 2023 season, the car was used as early as 2022 due to pressure from the team’s main sponsor: Petronus. This resulted in a very hasty and poor design. The car was not tested on track or in any wind tunnel. After the 22 Australian Grand Prix where both cars failed to qualify, Petronus left the project. Then the team directly quit F1.

The car was equipped with a poor and outdated engine, had a wrongly positioned gearbox and well, non-existent aerodynamics. The chassis of the Mercedes-AMG F1 W13 E Performance, was derived from the Lola T93/30 which as its name shows, was designed in 1993. The car was outdated on every front. It remains for many as one of the worst if not the worst F1 car in history.

are you having a stroke

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

POCKET CHOMP posted:

are you having a stroke

The tobacco years were a glorious, hilarious, time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He’s OK and he’s very consistent, but it’s really obvious how much mileage he was getting out of the car just overtaking the entire grid on the straights. Compare to George’s performance in the car last year until lady fortune took out his tyres: George was basically on track to get his first race win in another car than the one he was used to, versus how George and Ham are both struggling this year but keeping pace with each other

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
lol the Lewis revisionist history is already starting.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The seven time champ is not very good is an all time take.

It's not rare though, there are quite a few 7 time champs in motorsports and someone is always ready to say how they really weren't very good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I love that the thread has no moderate opinion on Hamilton. Either he is the GOAT or the most fraudulent man who ever lived. Never change.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lewis is the goat. And now the underdog too

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Lewis Will quit mid season

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Toto's strong leadership will fix the team and Lewis will be fighting for WDC #8 by the summer. McLaren will also be inspired by the pure energy of Zak Brown and the car will become good. Red Bull will keep having engine failures.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I forgot who asked in the last thread how long it would take to turn on their George but the answer is one race weekend. First race done and he's now in the bad column for the thread. These things happen.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rooting for my boy kevin, driving for two now

go haas

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The first lap is going to be brutal

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
George Russell has a weird little fancy boy doll face and is clearly desperate to be famous and well loved. Every interaction with media or on team radio, such as 'sacrifice my race if it supports the team!' or randomly crying, seems like it was performed with a marketing consultant ventriloquist hand shoved up his rear end.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I thought the people itt saying Lewis was a fraud were doing satire of British pensioners in the Facebook comments but I should’ve known better

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Hot takes in a comedy forum I can’t believe my eyes

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Hamilton is very obviously the GOAT

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

people on the tv continued to say a lot of nice things about George based on the fact that he was slightly faster than a guy with one arm and a meat processing failed son. I feel like pundits give him the benefit of the doubt because he is British and ugly. He is probably a fine driver but I feel like a lot of his hype was just people who wanted to say they could actually "see his talent" because he was finishing P15 instead of P18.

Anyway, Big Sir Lew is going to cut through the field for a top 5 finish and MaxiBoy is going to end up in the wall (don't worry he will be okay plz don't report me for being insensitive)

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
If Max finds himself in p2 with checo leading I can see RB calling for team orders.

It's a safe bet to predict a red flag on this circuit, I just wonder who and at what lap.

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.

Theophany posted:

I love that the thread has no moderate opinion on Hamilton. Either he is the GOAT or the most fraudulent man who ever lived. Never change.

Wouldn’t being the GOAT of this fraudulent “sport” in fact make him the most fraudulent man that ever lived?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hamilton is the GOAT - Gaudiest Of All Threads

And that's why he's great

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Russell just seems like some rich kid who bullied other rich kids like Stroll because Stroll doesn’t know how to read and can’t see straight.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Hamilton the GOAT of any sport.

Shameful slander against Sir Lewis. To be expected from the most racist thread

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ja_raul posted:

If Max finds himself in p2 with checo leading I can see RB calling for team orders.

It's a safe bet to predict a red flag on this circuit, I just wonder who and at what lap.

Stroll, lap 2.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuEFCxfOJ-4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Xakura posted:

How do you not know how qualifying works

It should run Q3, Q2, Q1 because that is how the grid numbers work (bigger equals bad).

Also I'm dyslexic so getting things backwards is in my genetics and calling it out is ABLEISM.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Watching him in this latest DTS season, Russell mostly comes across as mostly humourless and full of himself. Just like last year after that crash with Bottas. Maybe save that for after you actually get a podium on merit, George.

And...

...from that same account, and case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1UHbxrJEzo

edit: well it's blocked for me on SA but you can click on it and it'll play probably ??

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rebus posted:

Dunno about you but I didn't like his bit in DTS where he said some people should lose their job.
His whole arrogant DTS appearance was awful, but this bit made me genuinely pissed off.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

How different are the engines compared to last year?
Mercedes spent millions, and months of time (they were testing it with Bottas, hence his weekly engine changes), on creating the hyper-turbo engine Lewis used in the last few races. It's not entirely surprising they started 2022 on the back foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Parappa the Dapper posted:

Wouldn’t being the GOAT of this fraudulent “sport” in fact make him the most fraudulent man that ever lived?

A compelling argument :hmmyes: