Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Honestly surprised Rusty didn't cast a fellow Welshman during his run, I think the world's finally ready for a Doctor that says "boyo"

Rhod Gilbert please. He's snuck into Davros's house and got a picture of his mum in the bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

There's something quintessentially English about the doctor and yes its how he believes he benevolently travels around to countries where the locals are delightfully infererior to him, solving their problems, while occasionally causing an oopsie genocide.

The doctor should be played by a frenchman next

too weird, the doctor's always spoken american and would be weird if they suddenly had a new language

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The time is finally right for a Doctor from Texas :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We already had a Doctor that wore a stetson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

We already had a Doctor that wore a stetson.

Indeed :hmmyes:

I have no idea if that is a stetson or not :ssh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's what I'm talkin about. A rootin' tootin' varmint shootin' Doctor.

alternatively, for a chiller texan doctor

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BiggestBatman posted:

There's something quintessentially English about the doctor and yes its how he believes he benevolently travels around to countries where the locals are delightfully infererior to him, solving their problems, while occasionally causing an oopsie genocide.

I mean now I'm just picturing David Suchet but with genocide.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A David Suchet Doctor wouldn't run from danger though, he'd put his thumbs in his waistcoat and proceed at a swift but dignified pace

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unkempt posted:

Rhod Gilbert please. He's snuck into Davros's house and got a picture of his mum in the bath.

Never mind. This is my new choice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If we are casting the Doctor based off Taskmaster performances I would like to remind everyone that Mawaan Rizwan attempted to solve a problem by inflating an egg with helium. He has also been, when the situation calls for it, a sneaky pasta snake.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

An IRISH Doctor will never happen, let alone an American Doctor.

Which is a real shame because Dylan Moran would be a great Doctor.

One of the best observations I read years ago was that the cast of Black Books could work in any combination as Doctor/Companion/Master.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

SiKboy posted:

(I'm still pulling for Paterson Joeseph myself)

There's something about this that works.

Or Colin Salmon, but he normally plays serious characters. Moffat has that weird personal headcanon about Salmon being the 45th Doctor, or something, though.

Or just go "eh screw it" and have the fobwatch merge with the Doctor and the 14th Doctor is played by Jo Martin, who happens to share the appearance of the Fugitive Doctor, but without the Division memories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Boat posted:

A David Suchet Doctor wouldn't run from danger though, he'd put his thumbs in his waistcoat and proceed at a swift but dignified pace

I remember him being reported as one of the frontrunners back before Matt Smith got cast and I thought it would be pretty loving cool. Then we got Matt Smith who was absolutely loving superb so no hard feelings!

Senor Tron posted:

Which is a real shame because Dylan Moran would be a great Doctor.

One of the best observations I read years ago was that the cast of Black Books could work in any combination as Doctor/Companion/Master.

And each changes their role every week (sometimes every scene!) and nobody comments on it or finds it weird.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Nah, modern Doctor Who actors go
English -> Scottish -> English -> Scottish -> English -> ...

So, what's Iain Glen up to these days?

EDIT: Or comedy option- Michelle Gomez as the Doctor with the theory about Missy being post-Dhawan being true so she's also the Master.

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 24, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

p.s. maybe if they made an Irish Doctor decades ago they could've snagged the rest of Ireland into their little UK club

Absolutely not :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Strong Convections posted:

Nah, modern Doctor Who actors go
English -> Scottish -> English -> Scottish -> English -> ...

So, what's Iain Glen up to these days?

EDIT: Or comedy option- Michelle Gomez as the Doctor with the theory about Missy being post-Dhawan being true so she's also the Master.

Iain Glen is Batman.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Mid 90s Gabriel byrne as the doctor

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Iain Glen is Batman.
Welp, I guess it has to be Michelle Gomez then.
Time to write my unsubstantiated rumour article for the tabloids!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hearing some interesting things through the grapevine. I was sure how much to credence them, but they seem to have been right about the Sea Devil's costume production drama, so we'll see.

Apparebtly the upcoming episode was a nightmare to film, at the very least. Multiple rewrites during production, the aforementioned problem with the costumes not working and preventing the actors from being expressive, etc. They apparently had to fix the faces entirely using CGI.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 25, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BiggestBatman posted:

Mid 90s Gabriel byrne as the doctor

gently caress yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Multiple rewrites during production

BBC: So Chris, we just have a couple of notes. At several points here you make reference to your Timeless Child concept.
Chibnall: Yes?
BBC: Right, so take those out.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Party Boat posted:

A David Suchet Doctor

"Who frowned me this face? Ah... it was that odd fellow with a wooden mum"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1507507909135159303

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How many of these specials are planned?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that sea cutie can't be the sea devil.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

elf help book posted:

How many of these specials are planned?

This and then the regeneration story IIRC.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Indeed. After Easter, we’ve only got one episode with 13 left.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

I'm going to guess that's the pirate Ching Shih, which is an excellent choice of historical character for Who.

EDIT: IMDb confirms it lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah she's an absolutely fascinating historical figure, long overdue for an appearance on Who.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Assuming nothing changes in the Easter special, who has the last Doctor to have a companion stay through their whole run?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Senor Tron posted:

Assuming nothing changes in the Easter special, who has the last Doctor to have a companion stay through their whole run?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Eccleston.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

that sea cutie can't be the sea devil.
Right? Is it one of those optical illusion things, because to me it looks like friendly turtle with Betty Boop eyes.

I can see why they'd think the actors couldn't emote with a giant rubber mask with no articulation on their heads.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fractalairduct posted:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Eccleston.

Wouldn't that be the only time? Jamie is one episode short of all of Two, and the same with Tegan and Five.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
You know those weird knock-off Youtube nightmares like "Elsa's Tooth Surgery" and poo poo? That thing looks like that but with Grogu from The Mandalorian. I mean it's always bad form to judge from one image how well it's going to work but gently caress me that's an official account putting that out there.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

BiggestBatman posted:

Gorden Kaye would have been perfect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rochallor posted:

Wouldn't that be the only time? Jamie is one episode short of all of Two, and the same with Tegan and Five.

Two for Tegan (leaves in Resurrection, then misses Planet of Fire and Caves)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't Peri with Six in all but the last two?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s very close to the original 70s design, with some CGI adding extra expression.

https://youtu.be/k-YbsiU9bUY

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
If you count Trial as one story then Peri is in all of Six's :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Open Source Idiom posted:

Apparebtly the upcoming episode was a nightmare to film, at the very least. Multiple rewrites during production, the aforementioned problem with the costumes not working and preventing the actors from being expressive, etc. They apparently had to fix the faces entirely using CGI.

There’s a feature article about the sea devils episode in this month’s SFX magazine. They essentially tried to keep the spirit of the original 1970s design with the new costumes, including animatronic eyes, but they couldn’t get them working right with the budget/timeframe they had, so CGI was the next best option.

They also gave Dan a pantomime pirate costume because why the hell not.