Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was walking through one of the lowlands settlements and someone called out to me in an extremely valley girl accent. It bothered me until I realized that based on the map she literally is a valley girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

goblin week posted:

I do not think the concept of a bag to stuff a body in is the most outlandish thing to come up with

Yeah if anything they should be thinking about how the English language is exactly the same as ours even though their education stopped at a kindergarten level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of words for things, are the Ravager machines a Transformers reference?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
98 hours in and finally beat the game and am working on upgrading gear now for a hopefully inevitable NG+. I've figured out that Apex machines spawn more frequently at night so I'm using the shelters to travel through time and going to a site. However, I can't for the life of me find Apex Tremortusks. Any advice?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Medullah posted:

98 hours in and finally beat the game and am working on upgrading gear now for a hopefully inevitable NG+. I've figured out that Apex machines spawn more frequently at night so I'm using the shelters to travel through time and going to a site. However, I can't for the life of me find Apex Tremortusks. Any advice?

There’s one spot by Las Vegas (with a shelter nearby) that you can reliably respawn. Go there and there’s just a tremortursk hit a different (further) shelter, pass time to night, then go back to the shelter by it. This almost always popped an Apex for me. Once you get an apex to show and hunt it, the game will continue giving you Apexes for some reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s one spot by Las Vegas (with a shelter nearby) that you can reliably respawn. Go there and there’s just a tremortursk hit a different (further) shelter, pass time to night, then go back to the shelter by it. This almost always popped an Apex for me. Once you get an apex to show and hunt it, the game will continue giving you Apexes for some reason.

Hmm if that's the spot I'm thinking about that's where I was trying it. Go to shelter, make sure it's night, kill Tremortusk, teleport back and save, restart from save, repeat. Did it a good 15 times (Dropped difficulty down to story because I was getting angry) and no Apex. Now that I say that I wonder if maybe that's the problem, that they won't spawn in Story mode?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The overrides are really fun once you get the ability to override tougher machines. There's that one Tenakth mission where you have to take down a Thunderjaw and Tremortusk in the same area and it was great being able to override the Tremortusk and watch them duke it out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lobok posted:

The overrides are really fun once you get the ability to override tougher machines. There's that one Tenakth mission where you have to take down a Thunderjaw and Tremortusk in the same area and it was great being able to override the Tremortusk and watch them duke it out.

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to override 3 Clawstriders so I could make the Jurassic World Chris Pratt/Raptor shot. Sadly could only get two before they killed the third

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Medullah posted:

Hmm if that's the spot I'm thinking about that's where I was trying it. Go to shelter, make sure it's night, kill Tremortusk, teleport back and save, restart from save, repeat. Did it a good 15 times (Dropped difficulty down to story because I was getting angry) and no Apex. Now that I say that I wonder if maybe that's the problem, that they won't spawn in Story mode?

Don’t kill it. Spawn (a regular robot), then go to shelter to pass the time to night.

Works in story mode just fine

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

Make sure that the shelter you are using to advance the time to night isn’t anywhere close to the site you are trying to spawn an Apex in. If you fast travel to the close-by shelter when it isn’t already night, a non-Apex version will spawn and changing it to night won’t despawn it, so you’ll never get an Apex version to show up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t kill it. Spawn (a regular robot), then go to shelter to pass the time to night.

Works in story mode just fine

Klungar posted:

Make sure that the shelter you are using to advance the time to night isn’t anywhere close to the site you are trying to spawn an Apex in. If you fast travel to the close-by shelter when it isn’t already night, a non-Apex version will spawn and changing it to night won’t despawn it, so you’ll never get an Apex version to show up.

Haha I'M SO CONFUSED

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

We’re saying the same. I just didn’t specify you need to go to a shelter far away to make the regular spawn turn into an apex.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gotcha, maybe that's my issue then. That shelter is really close to the spawn (You glide from it right to the TT)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here I just loaded the game and clipped the sequence even gliding twice to scan the regular tusk and apex. (You dont need to, regular robots have white armor plates and apex have black plates)

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1508095254943178758?s=21&t=e5NO0GPrIijWqn2GIJ3qZA

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Here I just loaded the game and clipped the sequence even gliding twice to scan the regular tusk and apex. (You dont need to, regular robots have white armor plates and apex have black plates)

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1508095254943178758?s=21&t=e5NO0GPrIijWqn2GIJ3qZA

Sweet thanks, my Nora Thunder Armor appreciates it!

Speaking of which, because I'm way behind in the thread, does anyone have a list of how many of which parts are needed to upgrade all the Legendary stuff?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Medullah posted:

Sweet thanks, my Nora Thunder Armor appreciates it!

Speaking of which, because I'm way behind in the thread, does anyone have a list of how many of which parts are needed to upgrade all the Legendary stuff?

Someone on Reddit compiled the full list of it all, two did actually. It is considerable, suffice to say. Don't have the link of me currently though. Try searching for shopping list in the Horizon subreddit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Surely someone has a gamefaqs guide, or still makes those

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Veter quest is kinda weird. You bump into her and she asks if you can find a relic she lost. The mission has no marker and doesn't show up in the menu. I pretty much randomly found the spot where the relic was. Then when you go to return it to her you have to figure out who and where she is because there is no marker to show where she is either.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

The Veter quest is kinda weird. You bump into her and she asks if you can find a relic she lost. The mission has no marker and doesn't show up in the menu. I pretty much randomly found the spot where the relic was. Then when you go to return it to her you have to figure out who and where she is because there is no marker to show where she is either.

Yeah there's a few of these I ran into. Just random areas with "better take a look with my focus and see what happened" with minor vignettes, like a path with things to examine that led to a shelter with a data point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally finished the game despite starting it at launch, got a bit busy.

Quick thoughts
-Overall very good sequel, story definitely goes in places you would have never guessed.
-Took me 65 hours to finish although I played on very hard and did all sidequest.
-Story missions are way too easy if you do any side content you will always be overleveled. I was level 50 2-3 missions before the last mission.
-Arena/Hunting lodge don't seem balanced for very hard, you have to either get really good rng but I gave up on the last challenge of intermediate because this game sucks when you have to fight multiple enemies especially large ones, you just get clipped through everywhere and can't even get up without them piling on you. I managed to get top 10 in leaderboardon very hard for one of the challenges though, think its the 2nd to last challenge on intermediate.
-This game has one of the best enemy designs for open world type games and the combat/shooting is really good.
-Fighting multiple different type of machines is the most annoying part in this game especially a bunch of large ones, the camera lets you down. I know in a recent patch they changed this but imo you should get some more i frames when you get back up before the patch on VH you would just get one shot on the ground most of the time.
-Story is very interesting but imo none of the characters are used well in this game. You have companions but you barely get to do anything with them. They just sit their rear end at the base for 99% of the game. They tried to make it feel like Aloy is not alone in this game but it's only in narrative and not gameplay. There should have been a button to call your companions to your location to help you out in open world free roam, you already all have focus, it's gamey but this whole game is not realistic so who cares.
-The new type of mount is introduced way too late in the game, not sure why you would work on something like that and have it available only for 5% of the game.

Also Guerilla you cowards let us mount a Thunderjaw atleast post game, I really hope this happens at some point in this franchise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ulio posted:

-The new type of mount is introduced way too late in the game, not sure why you would work on something like that and have it available only for 5% of the game.

I'm kind of glad they waited to introduce it. I definitely would have used it all the time to cheese some of the jump/climb puzzles.

Plus hey, the third mount you get is fun too!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Let me drive everything! If I can ride a Sunwing, I should be able to ride a Stormbird just as easily! Let me drive a Tallneck all around the map! poo poo, if I've just overridden a cauldron, make it start spitting out pre-overridden version of everything it already produced!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I always wanted to ride a Ravager operating the cannon like a gunner in the back of a Jeep.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Haven't played this game since launch - what the hell happened to its visuals? I'm on PS5 and resolution mode looks like they smeared butter all over the screen now, in addition to being as choppy as it was on release. Grass is more shimmering than before. HDR still looks like a Samsung TV in a shopping mall, everything is overexposed and oversaturated to the point that it strains your eyes when you play for too long.

Oh and climbing is still janky af. What did they even patch? :(

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

haveblue posted:

Speaking of, is it just me or are bezerk arrows totally useless, especially compared to corruption arrows in the previous game? Whenever I use them one of three things happens:

-The robot gets a small amount of bezerk charge so I shoot it some more and by the time bezerk actually procs it's locked into fighting me already
-The robot instantly bezerks but I'm the closest enemy so it attacks me
-The robot instantly bezerks but doesn't know where I am so it spends the entire time raging out like Yosemite Sam and never attacks anything

This is with a random blue bow I found somewhere, is there something that makes them more effective?
No you're right, they suck. Corrupting enemies to cause a battle you can watch from the bushes was one of the funnest things in HZD, and it's been basically excised from this game. Huge downgrade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there anything that improves Berserker buildup? There's the elemental Valor Surge but Berserker isn't really element-like. Nor do I think it or Confused status is even listed on the status glossary on the Inventory menu screen.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul Zuvella posted:

Horrible villains, hokey as hell, writing is so bad that is feels like a bunch of guys from New York larping as primitive natives. At one point a dude talks about not having enough body bags… why do the tenants have body bags? Why do they know what body bags are?

Yeah that caused me to literally lol as well, how the gently caress did that get in. They have an explanation as to why everyone speaks the same language and you'd expect some modern conventions in speech considering their ancestors, but I half expected a rebel solider to should out "lol ratio!!" when they killed you by the end of it.

Somewhat of an aside, jumped back in to HZD a few times recently and it really clarified my main gripe with the "feel" of this game compared to the original, and it's not just being occasionally frustrated by the higher difficulty - I mean HZD was an absolute cakewalk on Ultra Hard by halfway if you were doing most of the side quests, so I wanted this to be quite a bit harder and it was - it's just that apparently the devs felt a good approach to increasing the difficulty was "Robots much faster, Aloy Slower".

So many of Aloy's actions/reactions in this game are so much slower than in HZD, and it's not just due to more intricate animations. The ammo crafting is a perfect example, there's no animation for it, but it's stunning how little time they take in the original whereas even with the fastest ammo crafting (light hunter arrows) it's like 2X+ slower than crafting sharpshooter arrows in HZD. You'll also be seeing a lot more of that weapon wheel as even with a fully upgraded pouch your ammo capacity is far lower than HZD, so you'll be going into slowmo more frequently, especially since the enemies are so much faster. Like I've seen a Deathwing basically just teleport in one frame out of my reticle when darting around when I'm already in concentration mode. You combine that with the much smaller weakpoints that are often protected by armour, and I just find myself through playing so many of the battles in slow motion, either to focus on a part or once again watch my arrow counter being crafted.

Aloy takes a lot longer to get up after being knocked down. Climbing is slower. Laying traps is far slower. Managing your trap inventory, is - inexplicably - slower. Crafting arrows and drawing bows is much slower (and especially relevant now as weapon damage is predicated on draw time, whereas in HZD that was just with the Banuk weapons). Using the tripcaster is slower, especially because it's wire length is so neutered now. The ropecaster is much slower. And cripes, this is with every skill and pouch maxxed out and I'm going back into HZD with a character at level 16, and she just feels far more agile even at that disparity.

Just so many bizarre UX decisions in this game.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Kawabata posted:

Haven't played this game since launch - what the hell happened to its visuals? I'm on PS5 and resolution mode looks like they smeared butter all over the screen now, in addition to being as choppy as it was on release. Grass is more shimmering than before. HDR still looks like a Samsung TV in a shopping mall, everything is overexposed and oversaturated to the point that it strains your eyes when you play for too long.

I've been playing regularly since launch on a PS5 and the only visual difference I've noticed in resolution mode is that they fixed the oversharpening issue, otherwise it looks and runs great. Saturation is down to personal preference I suppose but it shouldn't be overexposed. Sounds like you need to adjust your HDR or TV settings.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah that caused me to literally lol as well, how the gently caress did that get in. They have an explanation as to why everyone speaks the same language and you'd expect some modern conventions in speech considering their ancestors, but I half expected a rebel solider to should out "lol ratio!!" when they killed you by the end of it.

Somewhat of an aside, jumped back in to HZD a few times recently and it really clarified my main gripe with the "feel" of this game compared to the original, and it's not just being occasionally frustrated by the higher difficulty - I mean HZD was an absolute cakewalk on Ultra Hard by halfway if you were doing most of the side quests, so I wanted this to be quite a bit harder and it was - it's just that apparently the devs felt a good approach to increasing the difficulty was "Robots much faster, Aloy Slower".

the robos' attacks get a huge upgrade as well. by the 3/4 mark everything you see is making GBS threads laser beams, rocket salvos, flamethrowers and trip mines everywhere. ravagers get AOE bursts and long-range anti-ground electrical fields in addition to their old kit. scorchers have area-denial weaponry combined with rocket-powered pounces to immediately get in your own space. shellsnappers are already hard enough to track and dodge, and that's if they don't decide to use one of their hi-speed projectile turrets and perforate your skull in the middle of their ice salvos. a single sunwing would turn HZD's final boss inside out

and meanwhile aloy herself is weaker in almost every way between the worse armor, overabundance of weapons, awful upgrade system, and atrocious traps/secondary items system

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the robos' attacks get a huge upgrade as well. by the 3/4 mark everything you see is making GBS threads laser beams, rocket salvos, flamethrowers and trip mines everywhere. ravagers get AOE bursts and long-range anti-ground electrical fields in addition to their old kit. scorchers have area-denial weaponry combined with rocket-powered pounces to immediately get in your own space. shellsnappers are already hard enough to track and dodge, and that's if they don't decide to use one of their hi-speed projectile turrets and perforate your skull in the middle of their ice salvos. a single sunwing would turn HZD's final boss inside out

and meanwhile aloy herself is weaker in almost every way between the worse armor, overabundance of weapons, awful upgrade system, and atrocious traps/secondary items system

The valor surges and food/traps are essential to defeating the higher-tier apex enemies, but the UI to equip and Aloy's delay in delivering them completely dissuade you from taking advantage of them. Like the valor surges are easy enough to activate, but there are battles where you'd like to switch up your equipped surge which is a hassle in of itself (why do I have to navigate to a game-pausing menu then hold the button to switch!?), but also their activation design where they completely drain your valor bar with no way to cancel it.

Like having armour and builds completely focused around trap laying is cool, but no matter how skilled Aloy is with traps, it's going to require you to navigate that trap/potion UI, so who gives a gently caress? There's some armour that focuses on your override ability, but it does nothing for the aforementioned useless Berserker system now - why not make the effectiveness of that tied to skills/armour relative to override ability as well, as least if you want to nerf it from the outset?

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 27, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
then there's the baffling "corrupted override" system where you need to farm even more machine parts after clearing cauldrons if you want to override any of the decent ones

people often complain about how difficulty curves get flattened in most rpg-type games as you go on, but forbidden west shows that the alternative can be even worse. it never lets up. every single mechanic is tuned to be as tedious and grindy as possible and you never feel like you're gaining ground on the enemies' offense even if you jump through all the hoops it puts in front of you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand you can just freeze everything and blow the poo poo out of it with explosive spikes.

Sometimes I'd try and fight stuff the 'right' way get bored halfway through and go 'oh yeah spike time'.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's been years since I played HZD so maybe my memory is fuzzy but I find myself having a harder time shooting off parts. I hold my own taking machines down because of status effects and damage multipliers and a lot more weapons and attacks that don't require much precision but are people really shooting off smaller parts regularly? There is so much movement for every machine, like I used to be able to put arrows through Watcher eyes with ease but it's tougher now. Maybe it's the gyro aiming, lol. I tried it but it ain't for me.

When I do want to take off those smaller parts I knock them down first, and thankfully there are several ways to knock enemies down now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s definitely harder, it’s a combination of things. Tear got nerfed. The hunter bow is now harder to use at close range to make room for warrior bows. The robots move a lot more and don’t give you as many openings.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Eyud posted:

I've been playing regularly since launch on a PS5 and the only visual difference I've noticed in resolution mode is that they fixed the oversharpening issue, otherwise it looks and runs great. Saturation is down to personal preference I suppose but it shouldn't be overexposed. Sounds like you need to adjust your HDR or TV settings.

Just watched a digital foundry video about it. It wasn't oversharpening, it looked much better than it does now. They apparently added some kind of filter after patch 1.07 to make grass shimmer less and now resolution mode looks muddy as hell. Sides by side comparisons are loving appalling.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It definitely feels like more machines have a natural sway and micro-movements to parts that make them feel more “alive” and natural, but also makes it harder to hit the smaller parts.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

then there's the baffling "corrupted override" system where you need to farm even more machine parts after clearing cauldrons if you want to override any of the decent ones

people often complain about how difficulty curves get flattened in most rpg-type games as you go on, but forbidden west shows that the alternative can be even worse. it never lets up. every single mechanic is tuned to be as tedious and grindy as possible and you never feel like you're gaining ground on the enemies' offense even if you jump through all the hoops it puts in front of you

In games with levelling/crafting systems, eventually at some point, you have to satiate the gamers' God complex. You endure the 'grind' because you know you're going to get that sweet satisfaction when you can run through enemies that made you pull your hair out before.

It's a tough mix no doubt, do it too early and you negate all the strategic elements you spend a good deal of game development time crafting, you can't make the player invincible but you're got to have some way of communicating all that power you spent most of the game pushing the player to obtain. FW just doesn't hit that sweet spot for me, partly due to the design of certain enemies, but also just the UX so often gets in the way.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Just watched a digital foundry video about it. It wasn't oversharpening, it looked much better than it does now. They apparently added some kind of filter after patch 1.07 to make grass shimmer less and now resolution mode looks muddy as hell. Sides by side comparisons are loving appalling.

Man I don't find that at all. Resolution mode still looks over-sharpened to me, but the massive flickering has been slightly reduced - performance mode barely looks changed. Frankly I barely notice a difference.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L39Z0PZqSU

And people say there's too much hand holding in the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Is there anything that improves Berserker buildup? There's the elemental Valor Surge but Berserker isn't really element-like. Nor do I think it or Confused status is even listed on the status glossary on the Inventory menu screen.

No I don't think so, also there was a post above stating issues with berserk status. Berserk status machines will sometimes hunt you despite you being much further than enemy machines in their vicinity. It's kind of a waste. In most mobs the high level machine takes super long to berserk and the low levels get one shot by the big machine. Also it's super finnicky like I said so it's kind of a waste of time even though its cool watching two machines go at it.