Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Or maybe she just buckled to decades of bad arguments about it and it’s not actually that big of a deal? I don’t even pull that one out for my abusive ex-wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

right arm posted:

friendly reminder to all that kate brown is a oval office for vetoing it in oregon

Yeah let’s not.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my friend helped me slap some new bars on my bike tonight

nice change from the stock bars which i found too upright

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

It's insane to me how long this has taken, but progress is progress. Maybe by the time I die lane splitting will catch up to where marijuana is now.

Legal in many states but still vilified and looked down on by people who've lived most of their lives with it being illegal (despite never actually partaking nor actually considering the benefits), so they'll often go out of their way to give you a hard time about it/try to kill you because you're doing something they feel they have a moral disagreement with?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Strife posted:

Legal in many states but still vilified and looked down on by people who've lived most of their lives with it being illegal (despite never actually partaking nor actually considering the benefits), so they'll often go out of their way to give you a hard time about it/try to kill you because you're doing something they feel they have a moral disagreement with?

Yup, reading US horror stories of car drivers casually trying to murder you :staredog:

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

my friend helped me slap some new bars on my bike tonight

nice change from the stock bars which i found too upright

Looks good, there's always a risk of either hitting the tank or fairing when changing bar position on a faired bike.

That clutch lever looks angled up pretty high, or maybe the photo is deceptive?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wouldn't filter here even if I could, our roads are stupidly narrow and our drivers are terrible

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

When the splitting/filtering law kicks in in AZ, I'll only be using it at stoplights, which reading through the details looks like the intent anyway. I would not trust trying to do it anywhere with moving vehicles.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xakura posted:

Yup, reading US horror stories of car drivers casually trying to murder you :staredog:

People get bitched at all day by their boss/spouse so the only control they feel in their lives is driving so they try to win at traffic. So you “winning at traffic” with your motorcycle makes you a piece of poo poo for literally ruining their entire life.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah it's only intended at stop lights on in town roads (speed limits under 45mph), with you not going any faster than 15mph. The law maker that sponsored it specifically pointed out this is NOT a lane splitting law. This is the best way to apply this practice imo, makes more road space for cars, gets us there faster and hopefully prevents riders from getting rear ended.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah it's only intended at stop lights on in town roads (speed limits under 45mph), with you not going any faster than 15mph. The law maker that sponsored it specifically pointed out this is NOT a lane splitting law. This is the best way to apply this practice imo, makes more road space for cars, gets us there faster and hopefully prevents riders from getting rear ended.

Yeah lane filtering literally has no down sides and only positive impacts on traffic.

Except for like I said in my last post, road rangers who get road rage because someone is winning at traffic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Strife posted:

You're not wrong, but as long as the cops leave you alone if they see you doing it that's good enough for me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Trying to split in Phoenix is like trying to split in Las Vegas or Atlanta in my experience.
Despite being legal, probably not.

Excellent way to get run down by a lifted 2500 cummies bro or get shot.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've not really seen or bought the advantage of lane splitting or filtering outside of avoiding roasting to death in stop-and-go L.A. freeway traffic jams. Any real movement and you're just taking dozens of micro-risks with every terrible driver you pass, which might make safety sense if you can use it to reach a less congested patch and stay there.

Filter to the front of a stoplight, and then to avoid actually negatively impacting traffic, haul rear end through your fresh green/someone else's stale yellow/fresh red? I'd rather take that risk of rear-ending that hasn't been demonstrated to be significant, watch my rear mirror, flash my taillight and stay in gear till the person behind me manages to stop in time.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 27, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why would I trust jealous drivers to not run me over because I am getting "ahead" of them, when the same drivers can't even figure out the concept of gridlock? This entire 'me first' mentality is so toxic and I hate seeing it around here.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A car can't run you over if they're sitting stationary in traffic with lots of other cars blocking their way. In half a minute, you'll be far enough away that the driver will never see you again.
In my experience it's mostly jealous drivers conciously blocking the road for you so you gotta fold in your and their mirrors to pass. And truck drivers doing their best to scoot over and wave you past :3:

If traffic isn't stationary or stop and go, don't filter. Barely saves any time. I merge back into the stream of traffic when i can see the speed is staying constant even if it's a low speed.
Also, when traffic comes to a standstill, i wait for a minute before filtering because in the first moments of a traffic jam lots of car drivers start to switch lanes like crazy.

Filtering is safer, because it reduces the severity (not the number!) of accidents. Getting hit from behind is a pretty nasty experience for your spine, and being the meat in a car/car sandwich is even worse.
You trade those accidents for hitting someone who randomly opens a door, or for getting pushed over from the side by someone who switched lanes without checking their blind spot.
And of course the heat stress is a LOT less if you can keep rolling at 30ish km/h. Traffic jams get murderously hot with everyone idling and running their ACs.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I really like the local law, you are allowed to filter only at red lights and only while everything is stationary. You have to merge back in as soon as things start moving.
Sure, not everyone follows this, but it seems sensible to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It really depends on what your local traffic looks like. In SF/LA you get highway gridlock that extends for miles and creeps along stop-and-go at 4 mph. If the rule was "you can't split unless traffic is completely stopped," you'd just be stuck in traffic like everyone else, overheating your engine and getting nerve damage in your left hand.

I split lanes at stoplights, obviously, and in gridlock up to about 15-20 mph. Basically once traffic is moving continuously and I can ride in second gear without lugging, that's when I merge back in.

One major factor that makes splitting more reasonable here is that Californians have been doing it forever. Especially in the large cities, people are accustomed to seeing motorcycles riding between the lanes. You of course have to be on the ball, completely alert -- you can't expect people to look out for you or do shoulder checks before merging. But very few people are assholes about it. Many drivers will move over a little bit to give space when they see me splitting up behind them (I give them a peace sign), and in ten years of riding here I've only had a couple of people try to cut me off or door me. I do not trust that it would be the same in a state with newly legalized splitting, where people still see it as cheating at traffic.

Turning on your high beam while splitting noticeably improves the number of people who see you coming and move over. And I know this is :can: but having a somewhat louder exhaust than stock helps the situation, too. Not obnoxiously or illegally loud, but something a bit throatier than the wheezy sewing machine exhausts on a lot of newer bikes. My Hawk GT with a Supertrapp is certainly more audible than my CL350 with the stock pipes, and that translates to more people noticing me and moving over when I'm splitting.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 27, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

It really depends on what your local traffic looks like. In SF/LA you get highway gridlock that extends for miles and creeps along stop-and-go at 4 mph. If the rule was "you can't split unless traffic is completely stopped," you'd just be stuck in traffic like everyone else, overheating your engine and getting nerve damage in your left hand.

I split lanes at stoplights, obviously, and in gridlock up to about 15-20 mph. Basically once traffic is moving continuously and I can ride in second gear without lugging, that's when I merge back in.

One major factor that makes splitting more reasonable here is that Californians have been doing it forever. Especially in the large cities, people are accustomed to seeing motorcycles riding between the lanes. You of course have to be on the ball, completely alert -- you can't expect people to look out for you or do shoulder checks before merging. But very few people are assholes about it. Many drivers will move over a little bit to give space when they see me splitting up behind them (I give them a peace sign), and in ten years of riding here I've only had a couple of people try to cut me off or door me. I do not trust that it would be the same in a state with newly legalized splitting, where people still see it as cheating at traffic.

Turning on your high beam while splitting noticeably improves the number of people who see you coming and move over. And I know this is :can: but having a somewhat louder exhaust than stock helps the situation, too. Not obnoxiously or illegally loud, but something a bit throatier than the wheezy sewing machine exhausts on a lot of newer bikes. My Hawk GT with a Supertrapp is certainly more audible than my CL350 with the stock pipes, and that translates to more people noticing me and moving over when I'm splitting.

Gridlock doesn't exist in my country because people generally follow the laws that forbid entering an intersection you can't clear 100% guaranteed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Agreed. I've found that highbeams are more effective. Especially at dusk/dawn. four way flashers maybe marginally more so at night. Loud pipes, yeah maybe. tail a harley or whatever.
ime socal highways are a fair bit wider than norcal and makes it a bit nicer to split on. Flip side is there's more debris. And packs of riders doing 60+ mph while ambient traffic is basically stopped.
Splitting and filtering has prevented getting rearended several times by inattentive drivers over the years.

People in Vegas got pretty crabs-in-the-pot about splitting and yanked at me when it was triple digit temps outside during peak traffic.
They were also pretty unhappy that once my bike got too warm, I legally shut it down and blocked the travel lane until it cooled off enough to proceed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

SEKCobra posted:

Gridlock doesn't exist in my country because people generally follow the laws that forbid entering an intersection you can't clear 100% guaranteed.

Lol. Man your entire country has less people in it than my metropolitan area. Gridlock is not just caused by people blocking intersections.

Around here the bottleneck is a four-lane bridge that 250,000 people are trying to cross at the same time, fed by about 30 lanes of highways and onramps and feeder roads that all have to merge down into those four. There are cases in downtown SF where even if nobody blocks any intersections, none of the lanes can move because the next block is packed solid and not moving either, and you just sit there in the same spot through multiple light cycles.

e: oh, i thought i was replying to slavvy. you're from sweden right? well same concept generally applies anyway. and your country still has half the population of greater LA

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

Lol. Man your entire country has less people in it than my metropolitan area. Gridlock is not just caused by people blocking intersections.

Around here the bottleneck is a four-lane bridge that 250,000 people are trying to cross at the same time, fed by about 30 lanes of highways and onramps and feeder roads that all have to merge down into those four. There are cases in downtown SF where even if nobody blocks any intersections, none of the lanes can move because the next block is packed solid and not moving either, and you just sit there in the same spot through multiple light cycles.

e: oh, i thought i was replying to slavvy. you're from sweden right? well same concept generally applies anyway. and your country still has half the population of greater LA

Well then it's just a traffic jam and not gridlock, right? But no, I am not from Sweden, but Austria, so a really tiny country.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think gridlock means the situation where a whole pile of streets that intersect with one another are jammed and not moving, whether or not the intersections are clear. You are still gridlocked if the intersection is clear but you can't cross it because the block ahead is full and not moving.

If people are also jamming the intersections, that's just an extra level of stupidity.

Filtering up to a stoplight and scooting through a gridlocked intersection as the light turns green while nobody else can move is a magical feeling though :allears:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 27, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Mandatory Swedish person checking in.

Is this some kind of weird American exceptionalism again, "lol your country small, America problem BIG"?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Idk what you think nz is like but 'obeying road rules religiously' is definitely not trending hee. Queuing across intersections is endemic, and Auckland is iirc the sixth worst city for traffic congestion in the world because successive governments kept doubling down on building more roads leading to isolated suburbs plopped in the middle of the countryside, instead of public transport that works and zoning laws that make any sense. There's no brodozers to run me over but there's plenty of angry boomers in SUV's.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The standard of driving in the US is abysmal, but AIUI that's mostly because to get a license you only have to demonstrate you can start the car up rather than show any driving proficiency.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes that's basically it. It's worth considering, in part due to America BIG, that we have additionally abysmal public transportation infrastructure, so outside of a few select cities (NYC, Boston, Philly, SF?), you basically need a car. Honestly even in SF the public transit is pretty poor, but the city is, geographically, very small (by American standards), as long as you live in the NE-ish part of the city, you can get away without one. I would love a rigorous licensing system, but it will never, ever happen.

I think it's kind of weird people here oppose lane-splitting. If you're reckless then you're asking for trouble, but that's true of anything. I don't split in the city very much because the lanes are narrow and I've gotten stuck before, but I would never not split through a traffic jam on the freeway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Is this some kind of weird American exceptionalism again, "lol your country small, America problem BIG"?

No, I'm just rebutting the idea that gridlock only occurs because foolish Americans can't help themselves from driving into an intersection and blocking it off, and everything would flow smoothly if they didn't.

No intersections in sight, everyone in their lane, still a traffic jam:

The problem is simply congestion, not people disobeying driving laws.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ban cars imo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think SEKCobra was nitpicking the definition of "gridlock", which we all know is just a more rock and roll way of saying "traffic jam".

Anyway, America BIG and every opportunity for GOOD, yet so often BAD. SF is rich, small and packed with tech and people. It could have the best public transportation system in the world if they wanted to, but I guess they don't want to.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
land owners don't want it. most that live there, don't own poo poo.

America is big though its basically 50 lovely countries in a trenchcoat.

Three buses would clear the bridge. Maybe 4. but public transit is viewed as bad in america. Bicycles and motos? bad. Drive hummer, is good for you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Return Loss posted:

Looks good, there's always a risk of either hitting the tank or fairing when changing bar position on a faired bike.

That clutch lever looks angled up pretty high, or maybe the photo is deceptive?
Yeah was worried about interference and the top of the levers do touch the windscreen a little bit at full lock. Clutch lever is a bit high yep need to adjust it a little.

Just took the bike out for a ride, turn in feels so much better than the stock BMX risers that were on there before, it's a bunch lower for sure but not to the point of making the position uncomfortable. Way easier to tuck in as the speedo climbs too. Felt fine in slow speed traffic.

Happy with the bars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like every country with a housing bubble crisis also has a traffic congestion problem, almost like geography and culture have no bearing on it. Curious...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just want to take the opportunity to show my very small city's little underground metro. Here's one of the tiny trains on the bottom of the double decker bridge in the city centre.

:3: smallest city in the world to have a metro system apparently

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The bridge Sagebrush posted actually used to have trains on the bottom deck and two-way traffic up top, but the greatest country on earth saw the future was cars :hellyeah:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Arizona just legalized lane filtering, woo! Should make it way easier to get out of town after work.

After years of commuting to work via motor bike in the Bay Area, Colorado is so painful.

But, at least commuting to work isn't a thing for me anymore.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dema posted:

After years of commuting to work via motor bike in the Bay Area, Colorado is so painful.

But, at least commuting to work isn't a thing for me anymore.

Oh yeah I should have been more clear, I wfh and “getting out of town” just means getting out to the fun roads faster right after work.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Filtering up to a stoplight and scooting through a gridlocked intersection as the light turns green while nobody else can move is a magical feeling though :allears:

It really is. My commute gets jammed constantly because there's basically only two routes across the river unless you go 5 miles out of your way, so that it takes anything up to 90 minutes to go 15 miles by car. On a bike I can clear it in 30.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mandatory Swede would be a good forum handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Mandatory Swede would be a good forum handle

Avatar is a rutabaga being presented by a public official