Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've had a few NDE's. All resulted in out of body experiences, but I don't recall any white light. My memory is hazy though due to depression. I was in a lot of car accidents as a kid, caught a lot of weird viruses back to back, fevers, seizures, etc.

During the events when I was a child I was acutely aware of what was going on because I was always above myself, several feet away. One experience l wandered down the hall of the hospital before returning to my body after realizing I simply could.

As an adult however, well, my last suicide attempt was in 2013 and it didn't have any of the qualia like when I was a kid. There was just silence and I woke up alive.

Ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30n7Rl19l_w

quote:

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder?
Couldn't you try just a little bit more?

Round round robin run around
Gotta get back where you belong
Little bit harder, just a little bit more
Little bit farther than you than you've gone before

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Small wheel turn by the fire and rod
Big wheel turn by the grace of God
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder

uncanny stuff

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER FLICKER

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've had... Id call them post death experiences but their nature is such that i will say no more specifically and no more than whats here broadly

There are multiple realities, universe pockets? multiple lives of yours exist within, and a spirit doesn't just detach from whatever this is upon death nor do you just stop being.

Ideas of samsara are a good starting point but every single transition i remember has been to a parallel self for me so im disinclined to believe you go to a distinct life or to like an animal life i think that's the game of cultural telephone warping things amongst people not experiencing/remembering it directly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Andy Pandy posted:

That is some real quantum immortality stuff.

Condolences to the version of that person who was calmly approaching an intersection then universe-swapped to find themselves a split-second away from being wiped out :(

Reminds me of Castaneda's "Wheel of time"

woooah ok that recontextualizes the whole concept of human sacrifice making the sun rise and set and all that poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mirror Universe might be real? Be nice to see me be able to grow a sportin goatee
https://www.space.com/mirror-universe-explains-dark-matter

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

evil me probably took my username really seriously and is one dumb petty bitch

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

D-Pad posted:

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills my friends

That's cool, the notion that in certain mind states, reality is malleable is neat and really matches some experiences I've had that weren't necessarily near death, but body in acute distress certainly. Though for me when that happened there were various entities encouraging me to pick this way or that because the choice had potential consequences, there were actors besides me personally involved and that I may consciously choose one outcome on the surface, but end up choosing another through my actions during that malleable time. Specifically I remember that all the other people/things around me were different versions of something larger, that all these selves were working towards something whether they knew it or not, but even though we were all part of this same thing sometimes that thing didn't even know what it itself wanted and all sorts of other weird poo poo along those lines.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

probably helpful to think of a human body itself. There's a central brain but there's also uncountable numbers of semi-autonomous parts that make a discrete whole but are not, in any real sense, acting deliberately in concert. The muscles that move the hand, move the hand. The brain may or may not have sent the signal that caused the movement. It may know why it is moving the hand, it may not. you can broadly probably scale that up to any divine understanding of humanity, where spiritual awareness may signal a nerve-like function of the godhead, but there are plenty of folks and entities who function as skin cells, as muscle fiber, etc, in the body of god and have no need of awareness in that way to do their job, may even impede it.

no idea how far you can carry the metaphor beyond specialized parts and awareness of function possibly only existing in certain parts

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

probably helpful to think of a human body itself. There's a central brain but there's also uncountable numbers of semi-autonomous parts that make a discrete whole but are not, in any real sense, acting deliberately in concert. The muscles that move the hand, move the hand. The brain may or may not have sent the signal that caused the movement. It may know why it is moving the hand, it may not. you can broadly probably scale that up to any divine understanding of humanity, where spiritual awareness may signal a nerve-like function of the godhead, but there are plenty of folks and entities who function as skin cells, as muscle fiber, etc, in the body of god and have no need of awareness in that way to do their job, may even impede it.

no idea how far you can carry the metaphor beyond specialized parts and awareness of function possibly only existing in certain parts

Are you saying I can talk to my own butthole on the asstral plane?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tongue it if you wish

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Becum ouroboros!

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Butternubs posted:

Are you saying I can talk to my own butthole on the asstral plane?

It's the interzone, and yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLlMlKUsyI

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

D-Pad posted:

https://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1wilson_fde.html

The wheel weaves as the wheel wills my friends
:stare:

Andy Pandy posted:

That is some real quantum immortality stuff.

Condolences to the version of that person who was calmly approaching an intersection then universe-swapped to find themselves a split-second away from being wiped out :(

Reminds me of Castaneda's "Wheel of time"
Can me/parallel mes unintentionally or intentionally switch bits and pieces of our lives to possible harm/benefit or does it not work that way

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

maybe, sometimes

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm gonna bomb the time knife when next I go

Sort this out binch!!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
My NDE was pretty basic with white light and deceased grandparents within. One of them I didn’t recognize, but “knew” it was my paternal grandfather who died before I was born.

Then a big “whoosh” brought me back to this shithole.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

pissinthewind posted:

That's cool, the notion that in certain mind states, reality is malleable is neat and really matches some experiences I've had that weren't necessarily near death, but body in acute distress certainly. Though for me when that happened there were various entities encouraging me to pick this way or that because the choice had potential consequences, there were actors besides me personally involved and that I may consciously choose one outcome on the surface, but end up choosing another through my actions during that malleable time. Specifically I remember that all the other people/things around me were different versions of something larger, that all these selves were working towards something whether they knew it or not, but even though we were all part of this same thing sometimes that thing didn't even know what it itself wanted and all sorts of other weird poo poo along those lines.

astral entities posting poggers in the chat

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

pissinthewind posted:

That's cool, the notion that in certain mind states, reality is malleable is neat and really matches some experiences I've had that weren't necessarily near death, but body in acute distress certainly.

high fever? i had very serious pneumonia when i was 19 and boy howdy a cooking brain conjures up some literally indescribable topologies. "oh, i'm a perfect weightless sphere on an infinite plane, and everything is actually a language composed of mathematics that cannot exist, which is fine because i don't and never have existed, and now here i am laying under the kitchen table because the linoleum is refreshingly chill and my dog is licking my feet anxiously."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

just decided to watch naked lunch because of that clip. haven't seen it before or read the book

anyway what the gently caress lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Riot Bimbo posted:

otoh you could be like Odo from the hit hollywood tv series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and embrace universal consciousness, wherein it is the duty of an infinitely pliable being to experience the nature of the forms it encounters, like rocks and birds and clouds and skin cells and poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

By posting, I am experiencing what it's like to be an anus

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

and by reading posts, i experience oneness with the poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your punishment for crimes in this life is reincarnation as the lowest form of life

Ten trillion years moderating GBS

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

reportable psychic attack :mods:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Riot Bimbo posted:

Why use a metaphor: the octopus has 9 brains, 2/3rds of the neurons are spent controlling a leg and reporting back to a brain in the body. We have very little understanding of how this structure functions beyond that the leg neuron masses appear semi-autonomous from the central consciousness.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

and one of the arms in males is also the penis which they've often been observed to rip off and give to females as a gift

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"BB ur the greatest, i got you something i think you'll really like" *rips junk off*

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
is that the normal ones who do that though, or just like the freaks?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

"i wasn't even using this poo poo anyway i can't even feel what the penis-arm-brain feels, they just make annoying moaning thoughts"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a male octopus also goes into a near vegetative state where they either rapidly wither and die or get ganked by something else in the ocean, after mating. ripping their dick off and letting a lady octo get theirs in their own time scans

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Mar 28, 2022

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lucky boys

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

The Protagonist posted:

"i wasn't even using this poo poo anyway i can't even feel what the penis-arm-brain feels, they just make annoying moaning thoughts"

[UFOs] anyway i can't even feel what the penis-arm-brain feels

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Gravid Topiary posted:

high fever? i had very serious pneumonia when i was 19 and boy howdy a cooking brain conjures up some literally indescribable topologies. "oh, i'm a perfect weightless sphere on an infinite plane, and everything is actually a language composed of mathematics that cannot exist, which is fine because i don't and never have existed, and now here i am laying under the kitchen table because the linoleum is refreshingly chill and my dog is licking my feet anxiously."

benzo withdrawals, seizures, high temp, couldn't eat or drink lost like 40 pounds

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Decided to continue with Brit Marling after finishing The OA. First up was I Origins (2014). The movie had the highest average Letterboxd rating of all her movies so that's how I made my choice. It was awful. I haven't watched any of the others because it was awful. Will keep you updated.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I remember guessing correctly after 5 minutes into the first episode what "OA" stands for (good for me) and that the show seemed to take itself way, way too seriously to really be enjoyable. Never watched the second season, not inclined to.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I remember guessing correctly after 5 minutes into the first episode what "OA" stands for (good for me) and that the show seemed to take itself way, way too seriously to really be enjoyable. Never watched the second season, not inclined to.

i watched season 1. the ending was terrible, didn't watch season 2

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Spergin Morlock posted:

i watched season 1. the ending was terrible, didn't watch season 2

Same. Except the beginning and everything in-between was terrible as well. I still feel like I’m missing part of my soul or something. Obviously people love it but goddamn it seems to me like the most pretentious, self-absorbed bullshit ever filmed.

“OA” lmao the title alone

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Having seen absolutely nothing of the show beyond like the blurb on Netflix when I scroll past it, can someone tell me if OA means Omega Alpha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

overeater anonymous