Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artelier posted:

Decided to get Game Pass so that I could enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy - great so far but its button prompts are...well....

There's Xbox prompts and Playstation prompts at the same time! Which is especially funny to me because I'm using an 8BitDo Pro Plus...which is technically a Switch controller

Man what the hell this happens to me too and I'm using an Xbox controller. The first prompt of the game was "hit X to jump" and I noticed A was actually jump then realized it says R1/R2 instead of RB/RT and realized what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

goferchan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1865780/Downfall__A_Slay_the_Spire_Fan_Expansion/

Huh, is this a new Steam feature? It's a free Slay the Spire mod but it showed up in the "New and trending" list and gets its own download button and library entry. It's a cool idea (and a great game overhaul mod in this case) but I'm not sure how well it will work if every lovely workshop mod will get its own Steam page. Looking at the news updates for Slay the Spire though it looks like the original devs shouted it out and linked it there, so maybe its' up to the original publisher which mods get their own store page?

It used to be for all mods, back in the days when Source mods were common on the store. Later IIRC it became a Greenlight thing, and nowadays it's for exceptionally large and popular mods.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright i'm in a weird mood in that I want to play a racing game where in you play(/grind for) parts to upgrade or otherwise tweak your car. Kind of like The Crew 2. But who wants to play The Crew 2?

Are there any other games like that? It doesn't have to be an MMO or even all that flashy.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Morter posted:

Alright i'm in a weird mood in that I want to play a racing game where in you play(/grind for) parts to upgrade or otherwise tweak your car. Kind of like The Crew 2. But who wants to play The Crew 2?

Are there any other games like that? It doesn't have to be an MMO or even all that flashy.

Wreckfest has upgrades you unlock as you level your profile up / can buy as you earn money. Single player has a campaign with different challenges and races and multiplayer is a blast and still pretty populated. Plus, smashing up cars never gets old.

It’s also on game pass but the multiplayer is separate from steam servers, but will at least let you see if you like it. You can still usually find a decent server, or start your own with AI and it’ll usually fill up with people in the evenings.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morter posted:

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

Need for Speed Most Wanted, the original.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For the mod thing, I'm assuming the (mod) devs still need to pay the $100 or whatever for the listing, which would cut out most of the junk.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Peewi posted:

Hades has button prompts for Switch pro controller.

With the catch that it can't tell what kind of controller you're using of you're using steam input

Does nintendo have color associations with the buttons? There was this dumb one
"press RED for yes, YELLOW for no, GREEN to fire your weapon"

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mescal posted:

The last Nintendo console with colored buttons was the Gamecube.

I don't get why, but it seems like all of the console makers have moved away from differently colored buttons.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

goferchan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1865780/Downfall__A_Slay_the_Spire_Fan_Expansion/

Huh, is this a new Steam feature? It's a free Slay the Spire mod but it showed up in the "New and trending" list and gets its own download button and library entry. It's a cool idea (and a great game overhaul mod in this case) but I'm not sure how well it will work if every lovely workshop mod will get its own Steam page. Looking at the news updates for Slay the Spire though it looks like the original devs shouted it out and linked it there, so maybe its' up to the original publisher which mods get their own store page?

There have been Half-Life 2/Source mods downloadable from Steam like that for over a decade.

So, not a new feature, just not one that gets used a lot.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Peewi posted:

I don't get why, but it seems like all of the console makers have moved away from differently colored buttons.

Well some of us can't tell yellow from green so that's a plus in my book :v: (from an in-game prompt perspective, I don't mind the actual physical controller having coloured buttons)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mescal posted:

Yeah that all sounds normal.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I really do like the Nintendo scheme. So much so that I kind of get annoyed with all the other launchers. Don’t make me play even more Nintendo, Epic.

We’ll see if itch.io’s is any better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Peewi posted:

The Xbox controllers still has coloured letters. Y = Yellow, X = Blue, B = Red, A = Green.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First time playing Yakuza, and started with Yakuza 0 and its....weird.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

First time playing Yakuza, and started with Yakuza 0 and its....weird.

Sounds like you've discovered what yakuza is

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Sounds like you've discovered what yakuza is

I can't say I'm at all interested in the mini games, not only is the karaoke silliness impossible to pay attention to because I'm trying to do the QTEs properly, and the combat is just button mashy and clunky (I remember Sleeping Dogs having better combat) and the UI is kind of slow, there's a certain charm

The story hook is interesting, the MC gets set up and he has to find out who set him up and why, and it keeps throwing some twists and turns at you in a compelling fashion, the facial animation is really well done, the camera angles for the cutscenes are interesting.

The music is good, and it's not terrible looking in places, texture work is inconsistent, low res on some bottles in a bar and then 1 bottle is like 8k textures or something stupid.

I have no idea what items do, and you only have a few slots before you have to find a payphone to deposit your goodies. The camera is also kind of clunky.

Apparently it's a 7 year old game that debuted on the PS3? (the PS3 was getting releases up to 2020? :whoptc: I thought that system was dead in 2014 or so.) so I guess all of that makes sense.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are the last gasp of the old engine, which they had been using since Yakuza 3 (the first one in HD). Kiwami 2 and 6 use a new engine that has much better combat, imo. Oh, and the Kiwamis are remakes of 1 and 2, since they were PS2 games.

7 of course is not a brawler at all but a straight up turn-based JRPG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed Yakuza 0 but I got sick of Kiryu by the end of the game and finding out that it's the only time you get to play as Majima was a total bummer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are the last gasp of the old engine, which they had been using since Yakuza 3 (the first one in HD). Kiwami 2 and 6 use a new engine that has much better combat, imo. Oh, and the Kiwamis are remakes of 1 and 2, since they were PS2 games.

7 of course is not a brawler at all but a straight up turn-based JRPG.

Well I'm going to play it sequentially so it'll be a while for me to get to 7, but that sounds like the better combat

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well I'm going to play it sequentially so it'll be a while for me to get to 7, but that sounds like the better combat

It's... different. Yakuza has always been an RPG in it's heart, but LaD's take on turn-based combat is about as basic as it comes. It's fun mostly because of the use of very classic and usually fantasy-driven RPG tropes and mechanics in a modern crime story setting but Yakuza 7's combat is barely one step removed from Dragon Quest 3 mechanically. It's fine but Yakuza finally hit a good groove with it's brawler combat with Zero/Kiwami/2, and it definitely feels like a step back unless you're someone who just really, really does not like action combat. They mentioned that Yakuza games in the future will be following LaD's example, so hopefully it gets a chance to grow into something a little more robust.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

LaD had absolutely no business letting enemies and your party members randomly dance around the fighting area while also utilizing proximity-based area attacks as well as attacks of opportunity style 'run past a guy to get to the one behind him and the one in front will knock you on your rear end' style mechanics. That one mechanic of people involved in the fight not standing the gently caress still utterly ruined the game for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a functional battle system, but that's about it. i'm looking forward to seeing how the sequels improve on it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Like a Dragon also badly needed more than two unique QTE prompts for moves.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yakuza is an odd series, its one of the few games I've played that makes me laugh out loud but the combat, particularly on the older ones feels so awful, they are a great game to play on easy and just run around enjoying the silly side stories and overly dramatic main plot, as well as some of the mini games, but the people who put 100+ hours into each game sound crazy to me

edit: I really should try 7 now that I've got gamepass, 6 had one of the best main stories but the lack of side content was a bit disappointing

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 28, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Safari Disco Lion posted:

LaD had absolutely no business letting enemies and your party members randomly dance around the fighting area while also utilizing proximity-based area attacks as well as attacks of opportunity style 'run past a guy to get to the one behind him and the one in front will knock you on your rear end' style mechanics. That one mechanic of people involved in the fight not standing the gently caress still utterly ruined the game for me.
Don't forget that they also occasionally get knockbacked or move or something and then the attack animation physically misses.

Which means the attack misses.

It's very much a first try at the battle system, which makes sense considering it was originally not going to be but then they did a "it's turn-based!" april fools joke and the reaction was so positive they retooled it.

As for the rest of the battle system... I wish Ichiban had grown up playing Final Fantasy 5 instead.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently it's a 7 year old game that debuted on the PS3? (the PS3 was getting releases up to 2020? :whoptc: I thought that system was dead in 2014 or so.) so I guess all of that makes sense.

Yeah it's a really odd game and series in general and I don't know how to describe it except that it's somehow way more than the sum of its parts. I don't think I'd recommend it solely on the strength of the combat, or the mini games, or the open world, but by the end of the game Yakuza 0 was one of my favorite experiences ever. For what it's worth, while it doesn't change drastically, there are several combat mechanics that unlock via story progression and it definitely gets more engaging when you have a wider move pool and stances to switch between. Don't feel like you have to do everything available to you as soon as it pops up during the early chapters.

edit: any unique "Side Story" is worth doing though, some of them have cool rewards and even the ones that don't are often laugh out loud funny

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It used to be for all mods, back in the days when Source mods were common on the store. Later IIRC it became a Greenlight thing, and nowadays it's for exceptionally large and popular mods.

Had no clue, thanks! I'd never seen one pop up in the store page before. That said, it's an awesome mod if you like Slay the Spire and want to see some creative things done within the context of the game. Last time I checked it out there were only a couple characters but now that it's complete there are seven new ones, all with their own cards and unlockables and some very distinct mechanics. I'm also extremely impressed with how they handled the new boss fights against the original cast, they actually have a deck they draw from and play their own cards, it's super cool.

edit: everything errs on the side of very high complexity though, just as a heads up. There's a stance-based character that makes The Watcher look really easy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yakuza games are basically "what if we made a jrpg but with a brawler combat system". The writing is delightful in a very weird way and the mini-games are extremely hit or miss. I'd recommend Yakuza to just about anybody, but some folks are gonna bounce off them if the combat or writing doesn't click.

That said, the mini-games are entirely optional, there are mechanics for skipping random encounters and there's an easy difficulty setting, so feel free to avoid the parts of the games you don't enjoy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly if you don't like the side activities i don't think you'll like Yakuza that much, because going out and doing random poo poo is part of the whole appeal of the game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
yeah that somewhat true, having said that, i've played through 4 and a half yakuza games and i think the most time i've spent on a single minigame is the batting cages in K2 or 3 for an hour or so but yeah there will always be the occasional outlier of someone who learned mah-jong or shogi within the game

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh cool Kairosof ported a bunch of their games to pc!
Oh no, they didn't add keyboard support :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The basic gist of Yakuza is: deadly serious crime drama mixed with absurd mini games and sidequests that juxtapose humor with the otherwise played straight storyline. Beat ‘em up by way of shallow but flashy and over the top combat. Open world by way of small but highly dense slice of life Japan.

It focuses on lovingly recreating key areas in Japan and putting various activities you can do into those areas, which as I mentioned before, are usually humorous or otherwise silly compared to how serious the main story takes itself. Sidequests follow a similar philosophy.

Imagine a very manly soap opera where the primary method of communication is people ripping their shirts off to beat honor and other valuable lessons into each other.

Ultimately there’s nothing else like it on the market, and it nails what it’s going for really well. That’s why Yakuza is so beloved by its fans.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Unless you're in love with the combat, just put it on Easy for Yakuza 0, it's not worth the frustration.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Unless you're in love with the combat, just put it on Easy for Yakuza 0, it's not worth the frustration.
No no no, grinding through every challenge on hard so that you can access the boss rush mode is so much more rewarding. Totally worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza 0 is an old-engine PS3-era game and has some older game-design problems, the most frustrating probably being that you can't change difficulty.

This is a problem both ways- the first time I played, I was on normal and eventually the combat became way too easy with no way to bump the difficulty up. I think the games after Yakuza 6 are more "modern" where you can save anywhere and change the difficulty at any time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i wouldn't recommend easy on Yakuza 0 specifically because that's a great way to *really* ensure that the combat will be mindless button mashing, but that's depending on what you really like

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think Yakuza 0 prompted me whether I want to temporarily drop to easier difficulty, after failing a boss battle couple of times. Which was a welcome crutch given that I'm dogshit in brawlers. Wasn't the combat the felt appealing in that game, should get back to it some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, Yakuza 0's combat is fine and not overly difficult. Hit folks with a bike all day.

I'd only recommend Yakuza 3 on easy because it's so incredibly old at this point.