Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Demon Seed 1977?

I’ll watch but pretty sure it was a rip off of it. The car crushed in the gate is a vivid scene in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Hughlander posted:

Have a movie caught in network TV, may or may not have been a made for TV movie, 1979 - 1984 or so.

Haunted house or evil AI running a house, probably in love with female resident though I was too young to get that. I remember a scene where someone is driving in to see her and the gates crush the car killing the driver with woman screaming/trying to help.

End of movie has house on fire with 'final'-ish shots of fire laping at CCTV monitors still trained on the woman.

As this is a 38-45 year old memory I probably have many details wrong.

Maybe "This House Possessed"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNIdjspb0E

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

http://thebloodypitofhorror.blogspot.com/2018/08/this-house-possessed-1981-tv.html?m=1

Looks to confirm it. Car crushed in gate cctv etc…. Even made for TV! Thanks

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Okay so this is a crazy rear end one and it's a music video and not a movie. So anyway it's a video for a song by a French synthpop band about this lady who is a serial killer that seduces men and kills them in comically graphic ways that are very Evil Dead 2ish. It's a whole horror comedy thing and meant to look like the 80s. At the beginning of the video she cuts off a dude's ballsack and then kills his friend by throwing the ballsack in his mouth. It ends with her looking very excited about being attacked by the zombies of all the men she killed.

Oh and also, I saw it before Knife + Heart in a theater. I have no idea if that was just a thing the specific theater did or if it was in a bunch of places. It's the Brattle in Cambridge, MA. Knife + Heart was part of an LGBTQ film fest they do every year.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 27, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

I stand corrected, good work!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CPL593H posted:

Okay so this is a crazy rear end one and it's a music video and not a movie. So anyway it's a video for a song by a French synthpop band about this lady who is a serial killer that seduces men and kills them in comically graphic ways that are very Evil Dead 2ish. It's a whole horror comedy thing and meant to look like the 80s. At the beginning of the video she cuts off a dude's ballsack and then kills his friend by throwing the ballsack in his mouth. It ends with her looking very excited about being attacked by the zombies of all the men she killed.

Oh and also, I saw it before Knife + Heart in a theater. I have no idea if that was just a thing the specific theater did or if it was in a bunch of places. It's the Brattle in Cambridge, MA. Knife + Heart was part of an LGBTQ film fest they do every year.

Thought it was Odezenne for a moment, a great French band that have a few styles, they have some sexual videos.
Is yours live action or cartoon?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Torquemada posted:

I stand corrected, good work!

Found it under Demon Seed knockoffs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Thought it was Odezenne for a moment, a great French band that have a few styles, they have some sexual videos.
Is yours live action or cartoon?

It's live action. And it's lit like a Refn film if that helps. There's also a couple shots with a TV in a trash heap that shows the singer.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

CPL593H posted:

:nws: of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDH4ycjI6K4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

YES! Thank you so much.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
No problem. I tried looking at the schedule that year for the fest you brought up, but there was no mention of I could see, but then I had the idea to check out the extra features on the disc version and saw it mentioned there, if you liked the movie enough to want a physical copy of it and the music video.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

No problem. I tried looking at the schedule that year for the fest you brought up, but there was no mention of I could see, but then I had the idea to check out the extra features on the disc version and saw it mentioned there, if you liked the movie enough to want a physical copy of it and the music video.

I loved the movie and have been meaning to get a copy of it for a while. The fact that that music video is on there is a wonderful bonus. I didn't know if it was part of all screenings of the film or if the programmers at the theater where I saw it just thought it would be fun to include.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

drat I wish that music video was a full length movie

Also shoutout to the Brattle Theater! I wasn't there when they screened Knife + Heart but I love that theater and I love that movie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

drat I wish that music video was a full length movie

Also shoutout to the Brattle Theater! I wasn't there when they screened Knife + Heart but I love that theater and I love that movie

Yeah the Brattle is my favorite theater and their programming is second to none. I've been to a bunch of cool Q+As there as well. Edgar Wright among them three different times. He's a delightful man and I could listen to him just talking about movies he likes for hours.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Here's one I've been trying to remember for the past 20 years....or it may have been a dream I had as a kid.

Can't remember the plot, but there's a scene where there is a character with a bow sling on his back, and at one point he fires off one bow after another very quickly, where his arm is a blur as he's pulling out the arrows and firing them off.
The character may have been a robot, or someone in a powered suit? Bit like a slimmed Iron-Man?
Live action, came out no later than 1990, would likely have been a U/PG/PG-13

Feels like maybe some live-action Manga?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

CaptainN posted:

Here's one I've been trying to remember for the past 20 years....or it may have been a dream I had as a kid.

Not the greatest match, but I'll throw Crow from Hawk the Slayer in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjqlCM4Yz4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Several years back I saw about ten minutes of one of those lovely "disillusioned gen Xers" knockoffs of The Big Chill. It had this one scene where a bunch of guys are recapping all these stories from their youth and one of them wistfully tells everyone about the time him and his friends gang raped a gay kid and when it got to his turn they locked eyes and had a moment according to him. None of the characters objects to this story. I really need to know what critics at the time had to say about it and find out who the gently caress wrote that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Several years back I saw about ten minutes of one of those lovely "disillusioned gen Xers" knockoffs of The Big Chill. It had this one scene where a bunch of guys are recapping all these stories from their youth and one of them wistfully tells everyone about the time him and his friends gang raped a gay kid and when it got to his turn they locked eyes and had a moment according to him. None of the characters objects to this story. I really need to know what critics at the time had to say about it and find out who the gently caress wrote that.

What was the title?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

What was the title?

That's what I'm trying to find out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I forgot what thread I was in—sorry.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CaptainN posted:

Can't remember the plot, but there's a scene where there is a character with a bow sling on his back, and at one point he fires off one bow after another very quickly, where his arm is a blur as he's pulling out the arrows and firing them off.
The character may have been a robot, or someone in a powered suit? Bit like a slimmed Iron-Man?

This might be Hot Shots: Part Deux, the kill count scene.

CPL593H posted:

This is definitely Your Friends & Neighbors

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, that’s a scene. :stare:

https://youtu.be/fJ4LNIshI4o

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

codyclarke posted:

This is definitely Your Friends & Neighbors

How did I know that Ebert would love this movie?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/your-friends-and-neighbors-1998

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's a good movie. Unpleasant yes, like all his movies (In the Company of Men, The Shape of Things), but good. Although his career trajectory is that every movie is a bit worse then the one before.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
His later career is also very weird, he basically just starts taking for-hire directing jobs on trash and TV

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apologies as I’m sure there’s a better thread for this, but I also know someone will have it almost immediately here. Got this message from a friend this morning
“I don't have access to my SA account anymore, do you know if there's another place online where I can find SMG's analysis of transformers?”

Anyone have this handy?

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

westborn posted:

Not the greatest match, but I'll throw Crow from Hawk the Slayer in the room.

Thanks - feels close, but was firing to the left of the screen, and could see his arm as he was pulling arrows from his sling.
Deffo had some kind of superhero/hong kong vibe.

If it was a dream, it was likely based on this though!

codyclarke posted:

This might be Hot Shots: Part Deux, the kill count scene.

Thanks - was definitely before this came out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CaptainN posted:

Doesn't the Ranger from the Dungeons & Dragons do this a lot with this bow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZEjmvCaEM

Rodimus Prime, a 'slimmed Iron Man', has a bow weapon. Could be the Transformer movie?

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 3, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've got another one. What is the movie the clips are from that play when you try to access user only features on the forums without being logged in?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Boogeyman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsniWbTNDjw

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh poo poo. I just realized that the kid that gets squished by the window is yelling "Boogeyman". Is it any good? It looks wonderfully schlocky.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's worth a watch if you're a fan of weird, campy horror - it's surreal and dream-like in a way that works for it, and the antagonist is certainly unique

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Trying to ID a film that would have been on a standard cable movie-on-demand channel around 2010. Fairly sure the title was in the format ‘The [noun],’ that it was kind of Hollywood mid-budget, it involved violent consequences whenever someone made a wish, and that it did not skimp on the gore.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The wishmaster?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Darthemed posted:

Trying to ID a film that would have been on a standard cable movie-on-demand channel around 2010. Fairly sure the title was in the format ‘The [noun],’ that it was kind of Hollywood mid-budget, it involved violent consequences whenever someone made a wish, and that it did not skimp on the gore.

The Gift or The Box?

Didn't Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) do that one?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That’s got to be Wishmaster

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nah, it was more grounded (despite involving wishes), and had some of that post-Saw grime.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Maybe Wish Upon? That was a 2010s wish box thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Opopanax posted:

Apologies as I’m sure there’s a better thread for this, but I also know someone will have it almost immediately here. Got this message from a friend this morning
“I don't have access to my SA account anymore, do you know if there's another place online where I can find SMG's analysis of transformers?”

Anyone have this handy?

AFAIK smg just posted in the thread, but the well known long form analysis of the transformers movies was written by terry van feleday. someone just posted a link to it recently

Dabir posted:

I noticed the links were down last month and went looking to see if a copy had been preserved by the wayback machine. No luck there, but it was archived on PDF Archive. I didn't even realise this thread was still live, or I'd have posted it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I dug through and found it but this is good too, cheers