Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/TylerGlaiel/status/1507847062301274116?t=QASznmIVHs8O6ZPMyrVCAA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Nobody can watch this video I paid 1.6 million for it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

9 seconds

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

You beast. I couldn't make it 5

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

24 but my reason is that the pause button wasn't working for some strange reason.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

acidx posted:

Nobody can watch this video I paid 1.6 million for it

ftfy

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's still not the same bug as the tweet which was the original point, stop being an abrasive rear end in a top hat for no reason

Okay so describe the bug because my understanding is that the dev used a == (asserting equality) instead of a && (asserting truthiness) which is an exceptionally stupid thing for a dev to do. If that's not the case please correct me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

putin is a oval office posted:

Okay so describe the bug because my understanding is that the dev used a == (asserting equality) instead of a && (asserting truthiness) which is an exceptionally stupid thing for a dev to do. If that's not the case please correct me.

It's absolutely not that.

It's that the dev allowed users to define both parts and as long as they agreed with each other the dev didn't demand that either part was actually accurate. A metaphor I've seen was providing the bank with your own teller who then approves your illegal transactions, and the bank doesn't check either part, only that the teller approved the transaction.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Somfin posted:

It's absolutely not that.

It's that the dev allowed users to define both parts and as long as they agreed with each other the dev didn't demand that either part was actually accurate. A metaphor I've seen was providing the bank with your own teller who then approves your illegal transactions, and the bank doesn't check either part, only that the teller approved the transaction.

Allowing the users to define both parts was a poor but deliberate implementation, the bug in the code was that someone decided to use == when they intended to use &&.

I guess it depends what you call a bug vs. poor (but deliberate) design. The design was intentional, the bug wasn't. Both are utterly stupid so I still don't understand the original post I replied to that claimed "it's not that dumb". It is absolutely that dumb.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
look, whatever the bug was, can we just all agree that butt coin

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

did anybody say shitcoin yet

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Humanity was a mistake.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

this is the white culture people are talking about

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

putin is a oval office posted:

It'd be much less stupid if it was this. This is a simple error anyone with lax testing standards could run into and God knows nobody knows how to make a test plan these days.

Instead it's an immensely stupid and immensely solved problem in any scenario where you aren't rolling your own security in a VM somewhere. Basically in this stack of functions that run everytime someone wanted to do something, it expected everything would get called sequentially and it could trust explicitly the parameters passed into it. Except there's two problems here: randos can call the functions however they want, and randos can compile completely valid programs on their own.

Now someone logs in, compiles a security function that says "I'm cool bro, let me through" and adds it to his own custom list of programs, named exactly the same as the valid list. This list is accepted by the other program during his call of the code that does stuff because it's named the same and now returns "I'm cool bro" when asked to verify.

This is basic sanity and permission check nearly everything does for you unless you are dealing with a half thought through VM that charges you extra for every operation you may want to do.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Your future Captains Of Industry people.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

happyhippy posted:

Your future Captains Of Industry people.

I wholeheartedly concur. They require launching into the ocean.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Sashimi posted:

Humanity was a mistake.

Society was a mistake.

Also where can I deposit 40 grand to buy bitcoin?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Plan R posted:

Society was a mistake.

Also where can I deposit 40 grand to buy bitcoin?

Check with your bank, mine helped me convert a bunch of money from pesos to usd a few years ago.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zedprime posted:

This is basic sanity and permission check nearly everything does for you unless you are dealing with a half thought through VM that charges you extra for every operation you may want to do.

Also still want to point out that they identified a fix for this problem ahead of time and sat on it, and during the time period that they sat on the fix, the attack happened.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dabir posted:

did anybody say shitcoin yet

Forking off pisscoin rn

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Salt Fish posted:

Check with your bank, mine helped me convert a bunch of money from pesos to usd a few years ago.

If I'm going to invest my money into Bitcoin I'd prefer something shakier than a bank, like a vending machine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There might still be some Bitcoin ATMs around!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Excellent! I'll just go to the bank and withdraw ~40k (They won't arrest me, I'm white) and then I'll just find a Bitcoin machine and start feeding forty thousand dollars into said machine one bill at a time.

I should be finished by about this time next year.

It's forty-four thousand now? Well that throws a spanner into my plans.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Plan R posted:

If I'm going to invest my money into Bitcoin I'd prefer something shakier than a bank, like a vending machine.

the last time I visited the foreign exchange kiosk in the mall to get some pesos, they were also selling bitcoin

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/Livingstone69/status/1508147167273254914

holy god

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LMAO

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Right now, life is overvalued and #bitcoin is undervalued. Selling everything you own for BTC and then jumping off a bridge will make you look like a genius in the long run.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Booyah- posted:

holy god

I can at least be a little sympathetic to the people who do this because they think the Christian apocalypse is about to happen. Doing it as a get rich quick scheme? Not so much.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Sell my house and buy a bunch of TubGirl Coin.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
You can live in a bitcoin wallet, right

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

He's also an antivaxer so the good news is he might not actually need his house for much longer

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
wow really sticking it to the man
next up on the list is eating only raw meat and never ejaculating

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

lol, the best part is this:

Buttcoin price is about to go up. Watch dude be like: OMG I AM A GENIUS. and never sell, obviously

Watch bitcoin price then go down. Watch dude be like : anyone want to sponsor me? ramen pls?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Hmm, must not have heard of Odell Beckham and what happened there. Sad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plan R posted:

Hmm, must not have heard of Odell Beckham and what happened there. Sad.

Escaped Cleveland and won a Super Bowl ring?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Barudak posted:

Escaped Cleveland and won a Super Bowl ring?

I suppose that makes up for most of his salary vanishing.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm taking a course on operating systems and in one of our discussion post assignments one of the other students posted something about a blockchain OS. Isn't blockchain just a distributed ledger? How do you turn that into software, especially software as complex as an OS? How do you keep it secure?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's probably nothing more to it than a "whitepaper".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
you could think of the eth network as the world's slowest and most expensive shared computer, maybe that's what they meant?