Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Those one wheel things would be nice, if only you could brake properly. The brake force available is fully limited by how much power the motor has. I see them on occasion in the city, but they can't nearly brake as fast as a car or bicycle can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One wheel bad

Two wheels good

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Summer of 2020 I took off on my brother in laws Onewheel around the street. I was going too fast down a hill and the front end hit a pothole .

I woke up in the street, confused and bleeding. I had a 7 cm starburst gash on the back of my head because I'm a big stupid man and thought I did not need a helmet. CT scan, deep nasal Covid test and 7 staples later I still ride the onewheel but I always wear a helmet (now)

toys are fun but you gotta be safe

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

You may not know this, but glass is technically a very viscous liquid. that's why old windows are thicker at the bottom.

I know that's bullshit I just wanted to make the joke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Those one wheel things would be nice, if only you could brake properly. The brake force available is fully limited by how much power the motor has. I see them on occasion in the city, but they can't nearly brake as fast as a car or bicycle can.

Another subtle dynamic effect is that they can no longer balance themselves if you get going too fast.

Consider balancing a broom on your hand. If it starts to fall in one direction, you balance it by quickly moving your hand the same way, keeping your hand under its center of gravity. Segways and self-balancing monowheels work the same way: if you start to fall forwards, they automatically scoot forwards to place themselves under the system's new CG, and vice versa if you fall backwards. If you watch a segway tour, you can see people doing this at a stop, rolling slightly forwards and backwards as the system balances.

This means that in order to balance while moving forwards, the vehicle needs a power surplus. If you're travelling, say, 10 mph and you start to fall forwards, the vehicle has to quickly accelerate to, say, 15 mph to get ahead of your CG and rebalance. The faster you go, the less power surplus is available. When the motor is running at maximum power, the vehicle can no longer balance itself in that direction. This would be very dangerous, of course -- so the vehicles are built with a software limiter on their top speed, ensuring that there's always a bit of extra power for stabilization.

So now you can read this and infer what's going on:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"This happened in Brazil after our monthly electric group ride. This guy drank the whole event 1pm to 5pm and then rode home on an express way (around 90km/h) limit.

He was using darknessbot to monitor his speed and the app lost connection to the wheel and he didn't recieve the warnings.

He was around 60km/h and 40% battery"

It sounds like the guy was running a wheel with the speed limiter disabled for maximum performance, and was using an app to watch his speed and manually keep it under whatever he thought was the limit. As he rode faster, his margin of safety decreased as he used more and more of his motor's available power. His phone lost its connection to the wheel so he no longer had an accurate readout of his speed, or warnings that he was approaching the self-stabilization limit. The 40% battery figure is relevant because as a battery is discharged, its maximum current capacity decreases, reducing the power it can deliver to the motor. Eventually he hit the point where 100% of his available motor power was being used to maintain speed, and then all it took was one tiny disruption, like riding over a pebble, to put the system out of balance with no chance of recovery. Result: faceplant at 60 km/h.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Summer of 2020 I took off on my brother in laws Onewheel around the street. I was going too fast down a hill and the front end hit a pothole .

I woke up in the street, confused and bleeding. I had a 7 cm starburst gash on the back of my head because I'm a big stupid man and thought I did not need a helmet. CT scan, deep nasal Covid test and 7 staples later I still ride the onewheel but I always wear a helmet (now)

toys are fun but you gotta be safe

https://youtu.be/b9yL5usLFgY

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It’s just amazing how fast a head accelerates into the ground when you fall over.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It’s just amazing how fast a head accelerates into the ground when you fall over.

We really aren't very well balanced are we?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SimonSays posted:

We really aren't very well balanced are we?

Horse Girl was right all along

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I'm getting the back room of my house slabjackled sometime in the next couple weeks (some previous owner built a room on top of a patio instead of pouring a real foundation and now it's kind of falling off the rest of the house). We got a couple quotes and the mudjacking guy took one look and said he couldn't do it because it would crack the slab (like, my dude, the slab is ALREADY cracked), while the foamjacking guy said it would be no problem. I don't know what the difference is.

Anyway, the REAL question is why didn't the inspector catch this when we bought the house?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

knuthgrush posted:

Also how is this OSHA? Because of the road? The schad and OSHA threads need to be merged already. We can all be friends.

Because he's is not wearing protective equipment, and operating a dangerous machine. I like both those threads and they definitely shouldn't be merged.
Someone spilling a beer in a funny way or getting pranked is good in the schadenfreude thread but has nothing to do with this one.
A video of a cool industrial process, pictures of terrible home-wiring, stories of dangerous things at work, or a video of someone trimming a tree while standing on five ladders hotglued togerther fits in this thread, but definitely not in the other one.
Someone getting hurt because they're being unsafe, or a wheel falling off a car in funny way while driving fits in both threads, but that's no reason to merge them.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r9ewtfuR6T1uk10e9.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r998m71XH91qigfjt.mp4

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

learning to walk upright was a mistake!

we need to go back!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm getting the back room of my house slabjackled sometime in the next couple weeks (some previous owner built a room on top of a patio instead of pouring a real foundation and now it's kind of falling off the rest of the house). We got a couple quotes and the mudjacking guy took one look and said he couldn't do it because it would crack the slab (like, my dude, the slab is ALREADY cracked), while the foamjacking guy said it would be no problem. I don't know what the difference is.

Anyway, the REAL question is why didn't the inspector catch this when we bought the house?
If you aren't on a first name basis with an inspector who's been introduced by friends and family they are just phoning in the bare minimum to not end civilly or criminally liable when you're murdered by your house. An add-on room that's falling off the house is practically superficial compared to you dying in a fire.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imma go a billion mph on a unicycle and faceplant into the asphalt, but I'll do that Terminator II thing where I commando roll to a halt, worn down to the endoskeleton at the shouldes and knees, right through my combat leathers

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Goon Boots posted:

learning to walk upright was a mistake!

we need to go back!

Ideally at less than 9.8 m/s², though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

zedprime posted:

If you aren't on a first name basis with an inspector who's been introduced by friends and family they are just phoning in the bare minimum to not end civilly or criminally liable when you're murdered by your house. An add-on room that's falling off the house is practically superficial compared to you dying in a fire.

My realtor's been a family friend for 30+ years and I specifically asked for the meanest inspector she knew. He did catch that we needed a new plumbing stack, at least, and we got the cost of that knocked off the asking price.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

There is a guy around here who rides a heavy duty version of that electric unicycle thing, and he wears basically full motorcycle body armor and looks like a cyberpunk stormtrooper and honestly I think that's pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6-xmDSPJo

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I saw someone riding one of those uniwheel things at night down the side of a 50 mph backroad in New England. It looked like an absolute deathwish machine, especially since the margins out here suck and the thing probably eats poo poo of it hits a stick on the side of the road.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Well that's one way to save money on a miter saw

e: I didn't even think of the GTA style implication of RAMPIN' IT

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 28, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wanna see the next fifteen seconds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I get the same urge every time I'm riding around downtown and I see a moving truck with the ramps down.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DO EEEET!!!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nice little jawbone removal tool he's got there on the front.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
lol Gizmoduck was a perfect realization for that death machine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Log082 posted:

You may not know this, but glass is technically a very viscous liquid. that's why old windows are thicker at the bottom.

I know that's bullshit I just wanted to make the joke.

It’s not entirely bullshit, merely almost entirely bullshit.

Glass really does flow at room temperature, it’s just extraordinarily slow, like single nanometres in a billion years slow.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
The OP and only other post in this unloved thread goes into some detail about Onewheel and Electric Unicycles.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990963

quote:

1. They have a top speed. I mean most vehicles have a top speed, but that is a speed beyond which they can no longer accelerate. For Onewheels and EUCs there is a speed beyond which *they cannot go without catastrophe*. This is because they self balance, and if the speed/power requirements go beyond the motor’s capability, they won’t be able to keep balanced. When this happens you get a ‘Nosedive’ on a Onewheel, or a ‘Cut out’ on an EUC. There are warning signs on each device, on a Onewheel you’ll get ‘Push back’ which means that the board will raise the front of the board to warn you it is near the end of its performance. On an EUC there is typically an audio warning where the wheel will beep at you. If you’re pushing performance on an EUC, you are ‘Riding the beeps’.

2. They don’t have brakes. I mean not real friction brakes, all braking is done with regenerative e-brakes. This means there is a limit to the amount of braking force, as it is subject to the same limitations of the motor power and battery status as acceleration, which is different than most vehicles. Also, I hear you asking “Hey, what happens if I live on a hill and I charge my board to 100% and try to go down?” - well, that is a great question, as the battery is full, there is no where for the regenerated energy to go, so the board will just shut down mid ride.
3. Speed wobbles. With only one wheel, it is much easier to get into situations where you have a positive feedback loop for a wobble, where it grows and grows, and you lose control. Typically this is a problem at high speeds and during braking.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 28, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/ZUW3Qyr.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

The OP and only other post in this unloved thread goes into some detail about Onewheel and Electric Unicycles.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990963

Are the power electronics really the limiting factor on slowing down or is it just the physics of having a microscopic wheelbase?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kept waiting for the gif to start but it never did :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does this count as an OSHA incident https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1508270716063469576

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwQ6TPui5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om6JgMp5p6Q

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

marked with a z, part of the russian army

or zorro was here

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

the wheels of such shops must periodically be lubricated with hands, lest the machines break down

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The older guy in that video doesn't have male pattern baldness, he just used to have a pompadour.

Used to...

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just casually leaning over and putting my weight on the outside of this flimsy looking tower of scaffolding.

Someone will probably post that they are fine and it's secured somehow but I still would not do that.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

How inefficient. Just replace all the belts with sandpaper and bandsaw blades and cut out the middleman.

And if some man you don't like comes to your shop, you can cut the middle out of him!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Leaning against the scaffolding isn't a big deal. It's not going to tip over or anything.

The big problem is the guy standing on the top level painting without any framing around to steady himself against if there's a gust of wind or he loses his balance or anything like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

One wheel bad

Two wheels good

We drive on four wheels not on one

To drive on one wheel breaks the jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020