Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mister Facetious posted:

Tatewake Kuno, The Blue Thunder of Furinkan High!

:haibrower:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All I know about rwby is that my wife likes it and I think an old college friend of mine did some temp work on sound mixing/edut for a few episodes. She usually works on other rooster teeth stuff but they needed some extra help at some point or something, I dunno.

Other than that, I've no clue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's important to have a character that always says everyone's full names, like Kazuma Kuwabara or Tiera Erde

This is essential tbh.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1506631100600406016?s=20&t=ynkuzQ7Y4hV9D1ti2ZvnLQ

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Great article, I knew Perfect Blue was an inspiration for Black Swan, but never thought about the same for Requiem.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sword dad's got a PV now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_Rl4zKw-c

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 27, 2022

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

Great article, I knew Perfect Blue was an inspiration for Black Swan, but never thought about the same for Requiem.

never knew how much of a flop his films were & his relationship to the studio either. good read

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

picked up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AnimeDad_/status/1507960510893150211?s=20&t=lHhRbRSUpRrgUe4sFEtjXA

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh not quite; as much as I loved Monty's stuff I'm not pining for some what could have been as it was always flawed, even at the start; but more a recognition that while I also like and enjoy Miles and Kerry in RT content and enjoy their produced content; RWBY was basically an indie garage project with Monty given a budget who grabbed his two closest friends to write RWBY for him to fill in the gaps between his fight scenes. Early RWBY should be contextualized as a collaboration between friends at the request of friends with money (Bernie paying Monty back for his help in Red vs Blue) that happened to get up to Red vs Blue level big.

So you have a story written by people who didn't have a lot of credits to their name before then and who as Hbomb notes were given an anime watchathon bootcamp by Monty to prepare them*; plus all the problems of a 3D animation project that has to gradually spool up their content creation pipeline that doesn't really manage to find its legs until its 4th volume/season when they run out of content that was made by Monty and are able to write the action scenes to serve the plot and not the other way around.

The poser thing is true IIRC; which again was fine in the context of a smaller project; but not once RWBY's production team was rapidly scaled up; but this afflicts at most like 3 volumes.

So for me its more about the fact that you have experienced story writers with huge coattails who will take all the things that worked about RWBY and polish it into something legitimately great on its own merits without any caveats that you'd normally give a more indie creation.

*Much like how probably one of the worst ways to learn how to draw is to start of by copying anime/manga before learning proper human anatomy; learning how to world build and write a story by watching anime can't be that much better either although probably not as bad as all stories share overlapping elements, tropes, symbols, etc etc etc Jung etc.

you are not an authority about learning how to write. you are a great authority on the opposite, pedantic rear end overly wordy and self-obsessed nerd poo poo. you are boring and obnoxious and im gonna compress you into a 1 cm3 cube

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

get his rear end

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you are not an authority about learning how to write. you are a great authority on the opposite, pedantic rear end overly wordy and self-obsessed nerd poo poo. you are boring and obnoxious and im gonna compress you into a 1 cm3 cube

Weird.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Anime bootcamp seems like a reasonable way to prepare for a shounen pastiche. I don't think the thing that ruined RWBY's story was the writers watching eight episodes of Naruto

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

You have it set to start at the end of the video.

Anyway, I rank Sword Dad a bit below Skeleton Knight--the writing is a little worse and the violence gets a little gratuitous. But it's still pretty good as isekai go, though it's one of those isekai that seems like they just made it an isekai because it was trendy because it has no effect on the story. I'll likely end up watching because I read the manga.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Elephant Parade posted:

Anime bootcamp seems like a reasonable way to prepare for a shounen pastiche. I don't think the thing that ruined RWBY's story was the writers watching eight episodes of Naruto

maybe those 8 episodes were in the really bad filler arc

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I demand more Konosuba.

And Symphogear.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elephant Parade posted:

I think hbomb describes it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE&t=5468s (link should be to the timestamp) which to summarize:

1. If you watch a bunch of anime and crib it for notes without understanding why those ideas worked in their context, the end result is not going to be better for it.

2. If you're going to borrow stuff from better shows, you should borrow what actually gave it meaning, and not surface level details that seemed cool.

3. By combining all these different elements together without understanding them; you create excess bloat that can introduce plotholes or inconsistent or abortive characterization.

Not that I think "anime bootcamp" "ruined" the writing, which I think was mostly fine for what it is; I just think we're going to see what happens when you give experienced well regarded writers already familiar with anime and with what makes anime stories work the reigns and I'm excited for what they can do with it. If you gave two experienced writers who never encountered anime before the same bootcamp I think you get something without the same flaws for sure.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Furnaceface posted:

I demand more Konosuba.

Your demands have been heard and they capitulated.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ty furnaceface, we are all indebted to you

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im a writing expert ama

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://open.spotify.com/track/3ojutDH17deNW7QFJALS5G?si=ohFX2xWiTzqSzIhRc92v7g&utm_source=copy-link

This poo poo goes hard as gently caress

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wonder why I thought that'd embed

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

verbal enema posted:

:nws: for boobs on cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvtaFUPMIk

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

verbal enema posted:

you think that's bad, I've seen people try to use markdown on here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:lmao: what the hell

Furnaceface posted:

I demand more Konosuba.

Big :thanks: from me on this one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

defense minister chachamaru

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

:lmao: what the hell

Big :thanks: from me on this one

"On December 16, 2021, Akamatsu announced he will be running for the House of Councillors, the upper house of Japan's House of Representatives, as part of the Liberal Democratic Party, in the 2022 summer election, to protect freedom of expression, artistic freedom and creators' rights in Japan from foreign and domestic puritan and politically correct censorship, standards, regulations and influences."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh I see. Good luck trying to clear Nobuhiro Watsuki's name, ya dingus. Akamatsu's running for office is surprising, but his leaning certainly ain't.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

"On December 16, 2021, Akamatsu announced he will be running for the House of Councillors, the upper house of Japan's House of Representatives, as part of the Liberal Democratic Party, in the 2022 summer election, to protect freedom of expression, artistic freedom and creators' rights in Japan from foreign and domestic puritan and politically correct censorship, standards, regulations and influences."

He's running on the 13,000 year old demon that looks like a child ticket, I see.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Good luck to all the candidates

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wow I didn't know Akamatsu was running for forums mod also

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow I didn't know Akamatsu was running for forums mod also

I don't want to wait until summer :(

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He can join all the candidates the admins have undoubtedly found and sent PMs to

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just run on the anti-olympics platform imo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

just run on the anti-olympics platform imo

They already happened, it’s over. I think America won

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah but you gotta stop that poo poo from ever coming back

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Olympics is over…..but for how long?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Shinjobi posted:

Oh I see. Good luck trying to clear Nobuhiro Watsuki's name, ya dingus. Akamatsu's running for office is surprising, but his leaning certainly ain't.

sorry what, i think you may have conflated some issues here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I always figured Akamatsu's pet issue was artist rights and copyrights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

He's also all about censorship.