Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
how about a monocle cat statement tracker? it would be enjoyable to track his many "How do you know SQ42 won't release this year?" posts over the years.

also :lol: at :reddit: trying to defend how yet another vaporware feature will allow swastikas but that's cool and good and you ought to just grow up and be a thick skinned yacht captain like me.

e: oh drat, taxxe:
https://i.imgur.com/kd9mgId.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Okay I have to ask, because I don't go to Star Shitizen cult meetings on Reddit - who is this monocle cat guy?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A man with an idris

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

a man, a plan, an idris, panama

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Someone with lust on their mind

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wait so it just so happens that in the language of the space aliens who love to be merchants, the words for “Merchant” and “Man” developed to be basically “Machando” and “Mano”?

Like how real languages have similar words due to sharing common ancestral languages or borrowing them from other languages they encounter. Except this is by coincidence because they’re loving space aliens who would have no common ancestral language, and since they love being merchants would surely already have their own words for the concept and not need to borrow one from English once they encountered humans.

What.

It's just like how the Mitsubishi Pajero is called the Montero in Latin America (Pajero = Wanker) the Banu LolNoRefunds is known as the Merchantman among the humans.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

I forget, which of the racist stereotypes are the Banu based on?

The are African Arabs (Greedy bazaar merchants from the Arabian Nights) that write in Maya

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Banu are the non-sexy turtle guys, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

Granted humans have a finite combination of sounds they can make its even less likely when it involves an alien that can presumably make different sounds.

These are Warajis from Japan

These are Warachis from Mexico (Huaraches)

Lammasu posted:

Banu are the non-sexy turtle guys, right?

No, they are Groot

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 27, 2022

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

insane ramblings from monocle cat posted:

we know they have worked on Nyx

Doing some theorycrafting of my own, but... Aren't many of their devs Germans, located in Frankfurt? Nix in German is an informal way of saying nichts, nothing.

I can picture it as an inside-joke of devs doing whatever they feel like in this non-sensical venture, that would fly under the radar of the American management, "what have you been working on?", "I have been working very hard on Nyx" "ahahahah"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

orcane posted:

Okay I have to ask, because I don't go to Star Shitizen cult meetings on Reddit - who is this monocle cat guy?

Someone who posts nonstop on the Spectrum forums and is so obnoxious even most people there don't like him. You can find his posts easily enough looking around there.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mirificus posted:

you can LOL and scoff all you want

Way ahead of you, buddy

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
The most money I've spent on a game would be Warframe which I've been playing with friends since 2014.

Grand total by now is probably around $500 which I feel is a solid investment. All the fun and years of enjoyment have been worth every penny!

By now I've got so much plat I haven't actually spent money for some time but I will still throw twenty bucks at them on occasion because it's a drat fun game and I love the community!

Plus, we're all holding the line against the Stimpire.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

trucutru posted:

(great)battle (methaphorical)location is where

Oh, you think I am kidding, right? I assure you, I'm not.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/vg5vq01b40voor/source/Rust-Society-Banu-Guide.pdf

No joke, I’m mildly impressed. Someone must have spent a lot of time building a language then writing all of that in-universe as a guide.

Too bad it was for this project.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Always remember, buy an Idris.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

No joke, I’m mildly impressed. Someone must have spent a lot of time building a language then writing all of that in-universe as a guide.

Too bad it was for this project.

Three languages. Banu, Xi'an, Vanduul.

Granted, it is a guy who loves the stuff and being able to create fake languages must be quite a joy to him (not that he ain't getting paid real well).

Here is the Xi'an dictionary

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/16202-Xian-Dictionary

And here some resources you can use to learn Xi'an

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/88012/thread/xi-an-language-learning-resources

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

trucutru posted:

(great)battle (methaphorical)location is where

Oh, you think I am kidding, right? I assure you, I'm not.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/vg5vq01b40voor/source/Rust-Society-Banu-Guide.pdf

of course they love karaoke... they're lovable, generalized asian caricatures. :trustme: the pinnacle of writing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I finally got around to playing FTL-ish game Crying Suns, and one of the factions are non-ironically stimpire-ing themselves to death because they think it will wake up all the shut-down robots who used to do everything for everyone. :allears:

No word on if they're using the worst kind of electricity, though.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

cmdrk posted:

of course they love karaoke... they're lovable, generalized asian caricatures. :trustme: the pinnacle of writing.

They're all greedy merchants who love karaoke, with no exceptions. Just like how humans have no diversity in cultures, jobs, and interests at all while on our one feeble planet. Now imagine a multi-system civilization.

Crobert's alien civilization generator is very simple. It's a 3-panel slot machine that rolls a random animal or plant from Earth in the first slot, a cultural group from Earth in the second slot, and a random nation (from Earth again) in the third. Then you take the most stereotypical traits for the last two.

For Banu the spin just said: Tree, Arab, Japan. So obviously you get greedy merchants and karaoke.

Also per the Star Citizen wiki, "Xi'an Empire is located along the border of UEE's eastern Systems". So you can guess some of their traits as they're literally in the far east side of space. Their cultural trait is meditation

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 28, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Chris Roberts will be aiming to have toys in the stores - and many other things - it will fund the future development of the franchise, but those injection molded toys take huge investments a single mold can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars - JR Fabrications only investment is in the plastic filament and man hours to 3D print the models.

CR won't actually sell toys. He will just have cardboard pledge tickets in toy stores and if a kid pays $200 they may receive the actual toy some day. As long as they have enough hope and ignore the FUD.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they just named an alien race Xi'an. It's like if Elder Scrolls named a race Paris or London.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That language guy is living the dream, it's like someone decided to pay me a good living wage for my fun hobby of insect macro photography rather than my ability to write bad javascript, and I never have to meet any deadlines etc or do support calls or attend change boards etc.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Rad Russian posted:

Also per the Star Citizen wiki, "Xi'an Empire is located along the border of UEE's eastern Systems". So you can guess some of their traits as they're literally in the far east side of space. Their cultural trait is meditation
east?
this made me have a look at their 'ark starmap' and I am not sure what is their star map supposed to represent... there are some dots, but I don't think they correspond with actual stars near our Sun and there is some giant nebula in the background that doesn't look like Milky Way at all, so I'm not sure what is it supposed to be. i-it's all w-wrong!

also :lol: at not-Arab aliens being in the south

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 28, 2022

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

What does east even mean in space

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

I guess you could pretend that towards galaxy center it is north, left is west, etc

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system

Basically the same thing as on Earth. Our galaxy is more or less a two dimensional plane, so it does make sense, even if "north" is pretty arbitrary.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Geisladisk posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_coordinate_system

Basically the same thing as on Earth. Our galaxy is more or less a two dimensional plane, so it does make sense, even if "north" is pretty arbitrary.

This is pretty neat, thanks

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: Alittle something to remind you that the wait will be worth it ;)

commando in tophat posted:

I guess you could pretend that towards galaxy center it is north, left is west, etc
Although in reality, north is upward from galactic plane

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Out of interest, who of these is still actively shilling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yifD1ipyA

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

Although in reality, north is upward from galactic plane

It's been some time since I saw star citizer map, I thought it was 2D. And coming from CIG I don't expect reality to be a factor :v:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

You can quote the poo poo out of this in October.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Ok, I have to ask, what is the pun behind star citizer

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Star Citizen: Everyday that passes with no new deliverables being added to the Progress Tracker reinforces my conviction

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Ok, I have to ask, what is the pun behind star citizer

I think they just had "Star Citizer: some subtible" in some newsletter or something. My lazy googling only found this https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446842/star-citizen-development-updates/p55 , but maybe some star citizen historian has better story

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

TheAgent posted:

So this ain't a hello by any means but going out and having some vitamins with some friends and some drinks we all think this means the LA studio is dead and done and they are trying to get ahead of that announcement by posting this "proof of life"

One gal that worked there is saying this also means Sandi and the kids will be staying in LA especially since the kids both have good acting careers and Sandi has her indie studio set up and Chris will be "moving" aka divorced to the UK

I'm reading about half a year old posts - is the LA studio closed by now?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

doesnt look like it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beexoffel posted:

I'm reading about half a year old posts - is the LA studio closed by now?

Nah still hiring a bunch of positions as normal.

I suspect as long as the money doesn't run dry they won't shut down any studios. They probably need that many studios to tap into the regional hiring pools for the huge amount of game developers they require to keep the beast lumbering on.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah still hiring a bunch of positions as normal.

I suspect as long as the money doesn't run dry they won't shut down any studios. They probably need that many studios to tap into the regional hiring pools for the huge amount of game developers they require to keep the beast lumbering on.

Thanks. So 'hiring of developers' is now a product of the company.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The one good thing about Star Citizen is that it's keeping a lot of game devs employed, including Lum the Mad of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1508493640519372807

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1508447696662708225