Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:15 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I also got that alert, and I'm up in Fort McMurray. I went into my Android settings and turned off amber alerts and left the other emergencies on, not sure if that'll work in Canada but it's worth a shot!!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah it's super loving stupid. Also if I read the news right, the mother is in the car with them??? I don't get it.

He took the mother hostage from what i read

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Not too crazy about getting an :siren: EMERGENCY ALERT :siren: every time there's a custody battle halfway across the country. Shouldn't that be reserved for like, fires and earthquakes sort of thing?

it was supposed to be, and the minister in charge of public safety when it launched swore up and down that you absolutely couldn't turn it off because if you were getting one, you were in immediate physical danger.

in the four or so years it's been active the only two times it hasn't been an amber alert, here in toronto, were for a complete false alarm regarding absolutely nothing happening at the pickering power plant, and once to remind us that there was a stay at home order in effect

the absolute geniuses at the p3 company running the show have exactly one alert level configured for everything, so whether it's a tornado, incoming nukes, or someone without custody picking up their kid from school, you will get the end of the world alert.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Mar 27, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pyrtanis posted:

I also got that alert, and I'm up in Fort McMurray. I went into my Android settings and turned off amber alerts and left the other emergencies on, not sure if that'll work in Canada but it's worth a shot!!

it doesn't, canada only implemented one emergency level so everything gets belted out at air raid siren "the nukes are coming, bend over and kiss your rear end goodbye" level

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Futanari Damacy posted:

I wonder how that made-in-MB coronavirus vaccine is working out :homebrew::roflolmao:

You can join their clinical trials in Calgary, which I guess is now part of Manitoba.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

drat horror queefs posted:

Another insane feature is that poo poo like unwritten tradition can have the force of law sometimes but not others.

The Supreme Court has imposed "unwritten constitutional principles" on our country that have the force of constitutional law but don't actually exist in any statute, like parliamentary immunity from civil proceedings, for example.

(another fun one is the unwritten constitutional law that judges have to get high pay to guarantee their "impartiality". This case is particularly fun to read in light of Authorson v Canada, where the Supreme Court of Canada decided that a bunch of WW2 vets didn't deserve interest on their pension (that the government had just plain forgotten to pay for decades), cause gently caress em)

our whole country is the property of a medieval noble family. Lol laws are for peasants

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

run on sentience posted:

Is it only certain carriers or types of phone that receive those? I've never received one with either rogers or bell.

I've got a flip phone and I never get any bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

you've heard of saskitoba? this is even bigger

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1507823887945732096

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
the cops finally got to join their buddies in the dipshit parade

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
truckers gonna go broke at these prices. let em drive around

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

holy gently caress, acab

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HousingCrisisW/status/1507935998923182082

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's true at this point I didn't want property. owning land turns you into an rear end in a top hat.

i want all landlords sent to the minecraft

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Now this might sound crazy, but, I don't think someone should be allowed to own 30,000 homes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

who is worse, landlords or cops

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CLAM DOWN posted:

who is worse, landlords or cops

yes

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

What if a cop was also a landlord?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When that landlord in Edmonton got gunned down in front of his house did anyone change their profile pictures to jesus hugging a landlord?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lostconfused posted:

Now this might sound crazy, but, I don't think someone should be allowed to own 30,000 homes.

Sleep in a different house every day of your life. You never have to clean.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Stab posted:

Sleep in a different house every day of your life. You never have to clean.

you can do that for free in Detroit

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

drat people here who blow the whistle on their bosses usually just get fired

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the sun and rebel are reporting randy hillier has been asked to turn himself in, to be charged for something relating to the convoy

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

nailed it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
thank goodness he put names on the briefcases

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

what does the red door mean

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it means the cartoonist can't draw a cell phone

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lostconfused posted:

hear me out. what if that someone is the state?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the city of toronto is the largest landlord in the country

or was, i'm not 100% sure about that since tchc started shuttering units en masse

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dreylad posted:

thank goodness he put names on the briefcases

I mean yeah, it could easily be a young Stephen Harper or Mike Harris or almost anyone else. He didn't even get Trudeau's signature foundation shade.

Fried Watermelon posted:

what does the red door mean

?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That cartoon would almost be charming if it weren't meant to be offensive and probably homophobic. I'm sure there are valid criticisms of the deal but it's funny to me that some people are so offended by the idea of 'different parties working together to achieve something they agree on' in itself. They always have to be adversarial, even if it's to their own detriment.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Do you think they, you know... *jabs index fingers together*

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

prom candy posted:

the landlord also sucks though, that sounds like a pretty illegal eviction.

landlord sucks because they're a landlord. if the situation is as he describes, then yes that's particularly egregious, but i confess i rather doubt his reliability as a narrator.

and on a more personal note as a resident of downtown ottawa, gently caress all those people. i'm skeptical the legal system will provide any meaningful consequences, so i'm not gonna deny myself the schadenfreude.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownMercenary posted:

What if a cop was also a landlord?

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-police-officer-who-threatened-to-feed-tenant-to-the-fish-demoted-for-one-year

quote:

The recording captured Mesic asking the tenant if he knows that “people break legs” for money and what a “desperate man” who is depending on that rent to pay his mortgage and provide for his kids is capable of.

“I don’t care. I don’t care. Sell your kid. I don’t give a s–t. Make your wife do something,” Mesic said. “I guarantee you I’m going to spill blood.”

temporarily demoted after a paid vacation, gottem

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

yeah but

quote:

A separate Ottawa police internal disciplinary investigation found that Mesic did threaten the tenant. Mesic told professional standards investigators “he was exhausted from working nights and wanted (the tenant) to know that he was serious about paying the arrears of rent.”

Mesic told police that he “lost control” and “that he is well-known for saying ‘stupid s–t‘ that he should not say.”

see? poo poo happens and it all wo--

quote:

He was previously convicted of discreditable conduct and insubordination in 2009 for slapping a youth twice across the face during questioning, kicking him, grabbing his throat and forcing him to the ground.

Mesic’s suspension for threatening the tenant was lifted at the end of July 2020 prior to his guilty plea to the disciplinary charges.

“In this particular case, the actions and behaviour of police Const. Nermin Mesic were clearly inappropriate and an embarrassment to the Ottawa Police Service,” Kelly wrote in his disciplinary hearing sentencing decision.

lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreylad posted:

yeah but

see? poo poo happens and it all wo--

lol

:acab:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016