Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Murgos posted:

In the last five years I've come to believe that not tailoring what you have to say so as not to provide fodder for the eternally aggrieved is the better approach. It doesn't matter, they will find something to be aggrieved over so just say what you need to for your message to be effective to your listeners.

That said, lets get the gerontocracy out of power.

I think international messaging has to be more thought out and strategic, but I'll grant that I think you're right domestically in the US.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Europe and Biden shouldn't be rooting for WW3 by any means, but they must drop the decorum bullshit and call out malign actors, both at home and abroad, who are intent on demolishing liberal democracy, flawed and incomplete as it might be.

I think there is a good argument for much more aggressive and coordinated messaging toward Putin (and perhaps certain other leaders) to go along with a more steadfast NATO military/policy position, but that's not what Biden was doing and I think the off-the-cuff gaff poo poo is the worst option on that spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got my mosin out of a literal barrel of them at a gun show in 2009. Hexagonal receiver, perfect condition, made in 1926, and the sights were perfectly zeroed at 200 yards. Cost me the princely sum of $126, including the background check.

Wound up giving it to my father in law when I moved overseas. That thing will probably outlive all of us.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 27, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

I got my mosin out of a literal barrel of them at a gun show in 2009. Hexagonal receiver, perfect condition, made in 1926, and the sites were perfectly zeroed at 200 yards. Cost me the princely sum of $126, plus the background check.

Wound up giving it to my father in law when I moved overseas. That thing will probably outlive all of us.

you fool

that would have been your ticket to a clan of your own after the balloon goes up

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

There's the possibility that it could be legit surplus that came from a former SSR or Eastern European warehouse.

That's likely for a Mosin sold in the states. Hungary sold their own stocks of Mosins and may have later funneled more from out of ????, into America. Seriously, there's one Mosin for every 10 Americans. (Mosins Georg is an outlier.)

A few things about surplus arms in this conflict:

1. Massive stocks of WW2 small arms were "liberated" in-country around 2014 and used quite widely during the fighting in Donbass. Remember the crazed militias using 14.5mm anti-tank rifles, Mosin snipers, and PPSH subguns at the airport? Pulled out of huge underground warehouses still packed in grease.

2. Ukraine has very little in the way of firearms restrictions for most citizens. Russia very much restricts firearms ownership, both in Russia and in their puppet states. It's hard to trust a turncoat with modern weapons. They may just turn them against you next!

3. Cold War stocks of small arms in EU are more tightly controlled now than ever. Gone are the days when a phone call to a certain someone in Hungary could result in an army's worth of AKs/AMDs/WASRs showing up at your door a week later. This isn't to say they wouldn't love to help, it's just more difficult now.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

psydude posted:

I got my mosin out of a literal barrel of them at a gun show in 2009. Hexagonal receiver, perfect condition, made in 1926, and the sights were perfectly zeroed at 200 yards. Cost me the princely sum of $126, including the background check.

Yeah i got a 1942 decent quality for 120ish in 2013.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

One M91/59 for $79 in 2007, one M39 for $200 minus $70 trade price for the M91/59 in 2010, one M91/30 for $100 and two PU snipers for $650 ea. in 2013(?). 2 880rd cans 7.62x54r for $100 in 2007.

And a Fin-nish in-fan-try squad in a birch treeeeee.

Cheap, too.

It's me, I'm Mosins Georg. We're all Mosins Georg here.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 27, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One interesting thing about Ukraine is how keeps updating its laws is needed for operation under war, which is not a bad idea obviously, but I’m quite impressed with them not just half assign it or just ruling by total decree.

Tied to the Mosin there was actually some heavy changes in Ukraine firearm laws right before the invasion quite interesting.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-mps-vote-give-permission-civilians-carry-firearms-2022-02-23/

I wish I could find English translations of all these war time laws and orders being passed. I know this is a weird thing to find interesting, but the idea of how government functions under attack and especially invasion, is of interest to me. I mean we all know that the US government has a bunch of fill in the blanks EOs pre drafted for a nuclear attack.

Similar to how the US still functioned by and large during the American Civil War, with only some minor and honestly valid…extralegal choices, I’m interested in how Ukraine is trying and at what level they’re succeeding.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I only own one firearm and it's a 91/30 Mosin with matching stamps that I got out of an umbrella stand at a antique store slash dealer for 100 dollaridoos

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So, you effectively own a club?

I'm not the most armed person, but I'd probably reach for my cricket bat before a mosin. Maybe even before my brazilian revolver (don't buy brazilian guns).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

One M91/59 for $79 in 2007, one M39 for $200 minus $70 trade price for the M91/59 in 2010, one M91/30 for $100 and two PU snipers for $650 ea. in 2013(?). 2 880rd cans 7.62x54r for $100 in 2007.

And a Fin-nish in-fan-try squad in a birch treeeeee.

Cheap, too.

It's me, I'm Mosins Georg. We're all Mosins Georg here.

I'm probably weird, but I like the wooden boxes that two spam cans come in. I've got one used as a stash box right now!

Forget ammo cans, give me eastern block crates.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

You got 5 shots before it becomes a club most of the time.
But its pretty much a metal tube screwed to a bit of birch wood nothing fancy in the least.
2 screws 1 moving part.

Edit: well i guess theyre pretty much destined to be clubs at some point as US owners wont be getting ammo for them for a long time.

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 28, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was thinking more about the mosins that need to be beaten open after firing.

I realize it's not all mosins, but there's enough anecdotes about them I'd just assume a small club or something comes standard issue with them.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I dunno I've put thousands of rounds through it and it's (iron lol) sighted for 200 feet. I would trust it with my life

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I dunno I've put thousands of rounds through it and it's (iron lol) sighted for 200 feet. I would trust it with my life

Not me. I've had rim lock way too many times to trust it to do anything more than ring steel.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1508016837346398211?s=20&t=HznM3qwSq_JFFx7aXlJACA

Good to see embarrassing interactions with wounded veterans isn't limited to the US

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Commenter posted:

Good to see embarrassing interactions with wounded veterans isn't limited to the US

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

steinrokkan posted:

Saying that democratic countries in the West can't accept somebody like Putin isn't a gaffe. It should have been said and acted upon ten years ago instead of trying stupid restarts of relations with Russia etc.

psydude posted:

We're funneling tens of thousands of anti tank and anti-aircraft weapons to a country that's laying waste to his military and have almost completely gutted their economy through the most aggressive sanctions applied to any county since World War II But hang on, let's not rush to conclusions about ousting Putin!

yeah it's pretty much this.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m old enough to (just barely) remember Woolworths with rack upon rack of M1 Garands for like, $99.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Crab Dad posted:

Lol stupid gaff saying what everyone is thinking. Whatever. Like Putin is actively invading countries on his border bombing hospitals and threatening nuclear retaliation. Oh no don’t say out loud what everyone has on their mind.

Russia is gonna play it up for internal consumption, everyone else is going to stare at the ceiling looking cracks while whistling.

look i know the biden presidency hasn't been exactly chummy with Saudi Arabia as of late but we haven't been publicly saying the world would be happier were MBS deposed either. there's a gap between reasonable statements and official policy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

How the gently caress is this happening?

My money is they issued them mosins because they already can't resupply their soldiers with ammo for the AKs. This way they need to haul in way less bullets.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the mosin pics are basically all from luhansk or dpr forces afaik and they've both been conscripting people off the street while also being (strangely) under effectively a blockade from importing russian equipment so they're arming people with whatever they have.

(most likely the block on importing supplies into donbas is because putin's vision for ukraine no more includes an independent dpr and luhansk than it does an independent Ukraine, so might as well keep them weak so they're not much obstacle later)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

look i know the biden presidency hasn't been exactly chummy with Saudi Arabia as of late but we haven't been publicly saying the world would be happier were MBS deposed either. there's a gap between reasonable statements and official policy

Biden is anything but a war monger like Bush or complacent like Obama and Trump. Dude said gently caress it and pulled us out of the forever war. Feel pretty good about the rest of his presidency not starting up any new conflicts with boots on the ground.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CainFortea posted:

My money is they issued them mosins because they already can't resupply their soldiers with ammo for the AKs. This way they need to haul in way less bullets.

Something something a full rifle round will punch through whatever body armor the Ukrainian infantry have while powderpuff intermediate cartridges won't.

-A post on ARFCOM, probably.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Crab Dad posted:

Dude said gently caress it and pulled us out of the forever war.
I don’t disagree with anything else but pullout was a condition of the US-Afghanistan agreement reached in February 2020.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t disagree with anything else but pullout was a condition of the US-Afghanistan agreement reached in February 2020.

And he actually did it. I don’t believe Trump would have because of the optics.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if they were issued a rusted through AK and brought the mosin from home or something along those lines?

That’s the only way this makes sense.

all the people with mosins etc have been from separatists

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crab Dad posted:

And he actually did it. I don’t believe Trump would have because of the optics.

Agreed, I’m no expert but if the generals/GOP leadership were telling him to stay and to him the choice was appearing to surrender or approving nonstop airstrikes to kick the can another four years down the road no way he want to look like a loser.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Possibly his view on the war was colored by his son actually serving.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“What, another 20 years and thousands of lives more is gonna change things?” is my go-to. Also not honoring the agreement we made is yet another reason to not trust us.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Casimir Radon posted:

Also not honoring the agreement we made is yet another reason to not trust us.

That ship has sailed around the world and into space. We've got some longstanding peer relationships that we seem unlikely to deliberately gently caress over, but we're never more than one election from going on another bender of terrible decisions.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Fall Dog posted:

There was also the time an Israeli F-15 landed with only one wing after a collision with an A-4

Even more wild was the time when an 18 year old civilian pilot, with little more than simulation training and the help of a Vietnam veteran in the air force reserve, was able to pilot a fully armed and loaded F-16B into Arab airspace to rescue his father. Apparently despite being rejected from the Air Force academy a short while before his father was shot down and captured, this 18 year old kid splashed multiple MiG-23s and destroyed an enemy fuel depot and airfield all before finally landing to pick up his dad. Hell of a story.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Even more wild was the time when an 18 year old civilian pilot, with little more than simulation training and the help of a Vietnam veteran in the air force reserve, was able to pilot a fully armed and loaded F-16B into Arab airspace to rescue his father. Apparently despite being rejected from the Air Force academy a short while before his father was shot down and captured, this 18 year old kid splashed multiple MiG-23s and destroyed an enemy fuel depot and airfield all before finally landing to pick up his dad. Hell of a story.

.......link plz

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

.......link plz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eagle

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Rasputin posted:

You forgot to mention that he made a killer mix-tape for his journey

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I can't decide if I should :vince: or :negative: myself for that. Probably both.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Mysteriously the part of the MiG-23 was played by the Kfir

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Let's not forget the harrowing story of the one and only time a tactical nuke has been used in combat. When a crack fighter pilot and an electronic warfare expert managed to infiltrate deep behind enemy lines using captured aircraft and destroyed the enemy's expeditionary headquarters to disrupt their C2 and air defense capabilities. This was followed by the heroic sacrifice of a washed up cropduster turned F-18 pilot who selflessly gave his life to destroy the forward command post of the invasion force.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slava Ukraini.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Is "Iron Eagle" some existing thing? "Iron" is a pretty bad name/metal for anything aircraft, and, well, it's not an eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xakura posted:

Is "Iron Eagle" some existing thing? "Iron" is a pretty bad name/metal for anything aircraft, and, well, it's not an eagle.

It's a 1980s action movie. Did you even click the link?