Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Steve Va i= wizard

Uli John Roth = bard

Need a cleric and a barbarian to complete the party

Uli as always the best dressed of any group he was with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Dave Hill of Slade - Cleric.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
this got weird

yall made it weird

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

You should go wearing black robes and corpse paint, sing all your backing vocals in a death metal growl, and make your vocalist translate your demonic growled comments between songs. Like your main band is Cryptic Coroner from South Central Poland and this is a side gig that you’re just barely prepared for.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wanna put on a thick accent and call myself Gunther.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had forgotten all about Lenny's "unfortunate" wardrobe malfunction. Such problems to have.

The guy said, "No Dad jeans" and so I am not sure what Dad Jeans are but i figure black jeans, probably distressed, would be fine with my boring old black boots. I love my dumbass black boots (another point where she is putting her foot down: she wants to dress me in boots of some kind and I am trying to stress to her the importance not falling to my death on stage. I have to work expression pedals for extended periods so I will only have one solid foot planted.

I think it's in there. After the solo there is nothing left to do on the studio track so I omitted the rest. Thanks for listening, though. For better or for worse, that's what I'm going to do in the band unless they force a real talk-box on me.

if you leave with any knowledge then please know that these

are also dad jeans.

and if anyone insists they aren't ... that's-a extra cheugy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

any pair of jeans stops being dad jeans if you put out enough cigarettes on them

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

As an aside, I worked in a comic book store with a local legend everyone knows as Metal Fred and he was one of ten people at the first Manowar show in Philadelphia. The band was used to playing soccer stadiums in Europe and brought that intensity to a small club in the middle of the week. They were out there in very little but dead animals just terrorizing the hell out of the audience. He got his first Manowar tattoo right after it.

The threshold of any great artist is terrorizing the audience.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

well why not posted:

any pair of jeans stops being dad jeans if you put out enough cigarettes on them

certainly anyone should do this if they're comfortable with it and not follow the prescriptivist advice from that one poster on the last page who seems to be somehow posting from the male fashion advice subreddit circa 2008

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this guy's all "no t-shirts" and "no jeans" but won't say what kind of thing he's looking for?

rear end in a top hat, I guarantee it.

also, like, have you seen any video or anything of these guys playing live, like on their social media or something? what are they wearing in that poo poo?

also, get yourself a red shirt and a black tie and show up looking like you're ready to join kraftwerk

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Is it Paul Anka?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LsnW0WZlKQ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hexwren posted:

this guy's all "no t-shirts" and "no jeans" but won't say what kind of thing he's looking for?

also, like, have you seen any video or anything of these guys playing live, like on their social media or something? what are they wearing in that poo poo?

also, get yourself a red shirt and a black tie and show up looking like you're ready to join kraftwerk

Or a black shirt and red tie so you can join Green Day

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^^ If I could erase that album from our timeline I would
what's wrong with passion & warfare

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

what's wrong with passion & warfare
Nothing. I was thinking of Sex & Religion.

hexwren posted:

Woah slow down please. He's cool, fashion isn't exactly something he knows how to talk about. He knows what he doesn't want better than what he does and it's ok. No need to crucify the dood.

I just kinda winged it and bought these four pieces at the same place:

For pants I bought a pair of linen drawstring beach pants for outdoor warm-weather gigs, and these stupid black jeans for indoor gigs.
For shirts I bought this loose linen shirt, again for warm out-door gigs, and for inside I picked this long-sleeved shirt, which I find inoffensive (mostly.)

I can't be arsed to put any more effort into this for now. I spent $125 total after coupons, so it's no great loss. If anything is really reprehensible I will send it back.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just get JNCOs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Faustus showing up to play guitar at the mix UFC/Natural Health convention

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

well why not posted:

Faustus showing up to play guitar at the mix UFC/Natural Health convention

"This next song is by Donovan, though you may not have heard it played like this...."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You guys get it!

o7

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nothing. I was thinking of Sex & Religion.

Woah slow down please. He's cool, fashion isn't exactly something he knows how to talk about. He knows what he doesn't want better than what he does and it's ok. No need to crucify the dood.

I just kinda winged it and bought these four pieces at the same place:

For pants I bought a pair of linen drawstring beach pants for outdoor warm-weather gigs, and these stupid black jeans for indoor gigs.
For shirts I bought this loose linen shirt, again for warm out-door gigs, and for inside I picked this long-sleeved shirt, which I find inoffensive (mostly.)

I can't be arsed to put any more effort into this for now. I spent $125 total after coupons, so it's no great loss. If anything is really reprehensible I will send it back.

honestly i'm here for the disco/club shirt. sue me!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

uncloudy day posted:

honestly i'm here for the disco/club shirt. sue me!
Ok I wish you all could have seen the lady of the house's reaction to that shirt. She could not hide her... distaste would be doing a lot of heavy lifting. gently caress it. I'm a macho man or whatever. Or I'm Woody Harrelson or Lebowski or someone. Ok I am going to look ridiculous and I have accepted this.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The pants will be good for the inevitable sublime cover songs

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

...and for inside I picked this long-sleeved shirt, which I find inoffensive (mostly.)

Why did you go for the disco shirt? There's a whole section for shirts for musicians! I honestly don't know how you overlooked it!

(Seriously though, I'd totall wear this with my Zubaz.)

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Thumposaurus posted:

Blues lawyers are a dying market gotta get the next big demographic the punk lawyer.
Given the current synth fetishism we've long ago moved into prog and synthpop lawyers; it sells more expensive gear anyway.

Dr. Faustus posted:

How the hell do you find good clothes for the stage? I have no idea what people are wearing because when I think of guys my age in cover bands all I can picture are bowling shirts or mechanic shirts. I do not want to do the Guy Fieri.

I don't have time to go trolling Goodwills or what-have-you. Is there any place online that has stylish, affordable stuff? I'm way out of my element on this one.

I'm not exactly the kinda guy who likes to wear skulls and poo poo like that.
The thing with "stage" outfits or outfits outside your normal zone is you can dress up, but you're probably not fooling anyone if that outfit isn't "you" unless you go Kraftwerk/Daft Punk faceless bot mode. Looking natural while dressed ridiculously takes practice for most people. Make sure you've practiced wearing it in public and playing in it; both can be skills.

Better looking natural in jeans and a black well-fitting t-shirt than deer in headlights in something else. Unless that's your look, in which case, rock it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It would be really funny to be the guy in the dadrock working class band overddressed like Brian "Head" Welch, Twiggy Ramirez or, like, Andrew Wood.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just wear skinny jeans and a sports bra tbh. Just play the loving guitar you nerds.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I remember before my first gig I dyed my hair purple and was stressing about what to wear. I also asked the singer/guitarist if there was anything he wanted to rehearse for the stage to try and get the audience moving and he said "we are not there to entertain people" which is maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard about performing music and inspired me to look really goofy on stage compared to him.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I used to wear button up beach shirts from target over a plain white t-shirt also from target, but that may be because we played a bunch of Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffett.

I looked and felt incredibly awkward my first couple of gigs, but that has more to do with having not played in front of a crowd for 13 years.

Previous gig’s setlists might qualify for the thread title, but I still play through them when I have a case of the Mondays, so hey whatever works!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you play metal you gotta wear a really obscure band's shirt so that if anyone thinks your band sucks they see your shirt and think you suck on purpose

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Animal Friend posted:

I also asked the singer/guitarist if there was anything he wanted to rehearse for the stage to try and get the audience moving and he said "we are not there to entertain people" which is maybe the dumbest thing I've ever heard about performing music

What did he think he was there for?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Stupid Music poo poo: we are not there to entertain people

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

muike posted:

if you play metal you gotta wear a really obscure band's shirt so that if anyone thinks your band sucks they see your shirt and think you suck on purpose

Wear a shirt that says, "I suck on purpose," and the audience try figure it out.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

muike posted:

A sonic youth t-shirt is cheaper than a tuner

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kingo Ligma posted:

A sonic youth t-shirt is cheaper than a tuner

A Merzbow t-shirt means never having to say you're sorry.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm back with more stupid music poo poo! My wife's aunt asked if she could keep her organ in our studio because the club closed and she had to get it out.

1958 Hammond C3 with Leslie is now indefinitely parked in my basement and as soon as I replace some tubes it's going to roar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
DUDE

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
That's 10K worth of anybody's money right there. Christ.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm back with more stupid music poo poo! My wife's aunt asked if she could keep her organ in our studio because the club closed and she had to get it out.

1958 Hammond C3 with Leslie is now indefinitely parked in my basement and as soon as I replace some tubes it's going to roar.

Wrong. Thread.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like the tiny drumkit next to the monster organ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

I like the tiny drumkit next to the monster organ

I have been paralyzed from posting in all the non-stupid music threads for like 2 years because I we'll have to do a huge effort post about all the cool poo poo we've collected and sort-of learned to play but also we have three kids and I think it's important that they be included in family music time.