Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
kermit dragon

lol kermitsnyped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's funny when he posits a question like that because it has been addressed and discussed over and over again. He could read any one of dozens of books on the exact topic of where morality comes from. Anyone who passes a sophomore philosophy class will have surpassed the level of Peterson's discourse.

Were any of those books written by the big list of authors he sloppily copied from Wikipedia has definitely read and understood?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Weirdly I read it as a defense of slavery because according to him all the tools we use to condemn slavery are based exclusively in ideology and dogma.
thats sort of how I read it too

'slavery is only bad if you accept basic human rights as some fundamental truth'

or maybe 'you can only believe slavery is wrong if you believe in God'

or some other dumb poo poo, I don't know, and I guess that's the point

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He has made it clear in other places that he believes anyone who is not a sociopath is a secret Christian because he personally cannot conceive of having a conscience if you're not terrified of divine retribution. Not in those words because he refuses to say anything directly, but in enough cases that the source is obvious.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

when's jorp gonna get his own NFTs

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

toiletbrush posted:

thats sort of how I read it too

'slavery is only bad if you accept basic human rights as some fundamental truth'

or maybe 'you can only believe slavery is wrong if you believe in God'

or some other dumb poo poo, I don't know, and I guess that's the point

I read it more as 'the Christian premise that humans are uniquely and explicitly created in god's image, distinct from the rest of creation, is the fundamental reason why treating one another as property is wrong' but phrased in such a chickenshit way as to barely be a question. He doesn't feel the need to frame his actual opinion, as per usual.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Goon Boots posted:

when's jorp gonna get his own NFTs

Probably in a month or so when interest is even lower because that’s Jorp!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jordan Peterson NFT (non functioning thalamus)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not loving Teaching

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

Does anything other than axiomatic acceptance of the divine value of the individual make making GBS threads your pants a self-evident wrong?

The admins should increase the max thread title length just for this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's funny when he posits a question like that because it has been addressed and discussed over and over again. He could read any one of dozens of books on the exact topic of where morality comes from. Anyone who passes a sophomore philosophy class will have surpassed the level of Peterson's discourse.

This is the guy who hadn't thought of the most obvious response to his position when a comedian brought it up on his show.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And then immediately maintained said position uncritically once the moment had passed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is the guy who hadn't thought of the most obvious response to his position when a comedian brought it up on his show.

Which comedian?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Which comedian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think it's commendable that he quickly realized he was wrong and admitted it. I wouldn't have expected that from him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely thought someone was going to reply with a Rogan clip, and I'm happy to be wrong.

I don't consider Rogan a comedian, but a bunch of people do.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the deal with Jim Jeffries, anyway? I saw some of his standup yeeeaaars ago and it was up there with some of the most crass edgelord comedy I've ever seen, and he just seemed boorish and irritating. Did he get sober recently or something? Because the content he's produced more recently seems compassionate and well-reasoned and funnier than before.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely thought someone was going to reply with a Rogan clip, and I'm happy to be wrong.

I don't consider Rogan a comedian, but a bunch of people do.

I have never seen Rogan tell a funny joke or anecdote

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the deal with Jim Jeffries, anyway? I saw some of his standup yeeeaaars ago and it was up there with some of the most crass edgelord comedy I've ever seen, and he just seemed boorish and irritating. Did he get sober recently or something? Because the content he's produced more recently seems compassionate and well-reasoned and funnier than before.

Not sure. I've seen him years ago too and haven't heard anything about him lately. It always seemed to me that he was a reasonably smart and considerate man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Who What Now posted:

Newsradio, my friend

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Who What Now posted:

The exact reason I don't consider him a comedian.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Who What Now posted:

I have never seen Carlos Mencia tell a funny joke or anecdote

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rogan was a decent comedian once. As Subjunctive said, Newsradio was pretty good. And even some of his standup has decent observational humour that you don't have to be a chud or a wook to enjoy. In an alternate universe, he's still on the standup circuit nursing his waning relevance, and all the charlatans he would have otherwise platformed are similarly irrelevant.

Instead, he lucked into reality TV at the right time, and used Fear Factor's lucrative payout to yet again luck into the podcasting game at a crucial point in its development, and probably altered the course of human history for the worse.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
News Radio was great. I wish I'd see Dave Foley more.

A lot of people hate it but I like Rogan as a UFC commentator. He is knowledgeable and can describe what's happening pretty well.

Shame about his..... everything else.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is Dave Attell a chud? I remember watching Insomniac like a decade and a half ago on whatever the gently caress channel it used to air and he was 'aight.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mister Speaker posted:

oh, he's australian hth

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think it's commendable that he quickly realized he was wrong and admitted it. I wouldn't have expected that from him.

he could have realized he was wrong a lot quicker if he had put oh i don't know about half a second of thought into his poo poo-tier reactionary dipshit opinion

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Subjunctive posted:

Newsradio, my friend

I meant on his own without a writing staff

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ben shapino posted:

he could have realized he was wrong a lot quicker if he had put oh i don't know about half a second of thought into his poo poo-tier reactionary dipshit opinion

When a question about your beliefs is brought right in front of your face and you find out you're wrong and you learn, that's a good thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Narrator: despite his words he did not learn.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

When a question about your beliefs is brought right in front of your face and you find out you're wrong and you learn, that's a good thing.

You have made a very poor assumption here, friend

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Normally, yes.

But that was a comparison that I would have expected anyone over the age of 6 to be able to make.

The fact that he hadn't is indicative of many things, none of which make Jorp look good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Considering he promotes himself as an authority figure, "rules for life" guru and (cod-)philosopher, no you do not gotta hand it to him that he failed to make the most simple and obvious comparison to his anti-gay position.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

A lot of people hate it but I like Rogan as a UFC commentator. He is knowledgeable and can describe what's happening pretty well.

If you took a shot for every time Joe says "Bam!" and / or "..... is in trouble!", you'd be blackout drunk within about 4 seconds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

One his stand-up bits is about how stupid America is about guns so even when he was an alcoholic his head was on straight about some stuff.

The problem is - like I said - that's the most obvious rejoinder to the position. This is a what 60-something year old former professor who tours giving lectures.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't give him credit for that either as he has absolutely not grown as a person from the correction. He still has the same hateful message. At best he stopped using one incredibly obviously wrong argument when he got humiliated with it while still having the same beliefs and using different phrasing.

Doing debate club style "Ah good sir, you have bested me with that turn of phrase!" and rolling right along with the same emotional message of hatred towards a targeted out group is just fascist conversational chaff. Not caring about your words because it is the enemy who cares about words not you, to mangle a quote.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Are we sure that Jorp has never thought of that before? Or is it just the first time someone has directly asked his opinion of the civil rights movement and he realized that he couldn't disparage it so clearly, so he had to backpedal? Because let's be honest, Jorp doesn't have a high opinion of civil rights for anyone but straight, white, Christian men. Remember his stance that MLK should've focused on his marriage instead of civil rights?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Are we sure that Jorp has never thought of that before? Or is it just the first time someone has directly asked his opinion of the civil rights movement and he realized that he couldn't disparage it so clearly, so he had to backpedal? Because let's be honest, Jorp doesn't have a high opinion of civil rights for anyone but straight, white, Christian men. Remember his stance that MLK should've focused on his marriage instead of civil rights?

He's a profoundly stupid guy who won't even read things when he has a debate about them so yeah I fully believe he never thought of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t remember if I ever had that particular stupid view (I probably did) as a teenager, but I did have a lot of stupid ideas in my teens that fell apart under the slightest scrutiny. Some because I said them aloud and was made to confront them, others that kind of toppled like dominoes once I actually started internalizing that I was just a stupid teenager who hadn’t figured out the world nearly as much as I thought I did.

Jorp being a man in his fifties and having never encountered that thought, internally or externally is frankly embarrassing even before you factor in his career as an ideological preacher. That he feebly backpedals and then immediately purges the thought rather than take even a second to re-examine his worldview means any concession he made on-camera is worthless.

If there was anything in that reaction that deserves credit, he would not have carried on his lifelong crusade, and even then, he’d still be a total idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Lmao, the hottest of takes.