Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

When you ask someone a binary question and they hilariously answer "Yes." Or they say "why not both" because I guess it's a loving meme? In either case, I have to ask the question a second loving time, you know, once everyone has finished applauding.

On the flip side, when someone asks a question that could have been a yes/no question, but goes out of their way to phrase is so that it's not.

"Do we still have some beer left, or did we run out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Animal-Mother posted:

In movies when guns make clickety-clack sounds any time somebody touches them or even just moves while holding them.

It’s not accurate but if you don’t use then it’s so boring.

Clickty clack gives it some umph

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

No, no, I too have had to get boomers to answer a basic health questionare.

Yeh I still have 25 of these to do Gary, it wasn't funny in 1976 and it isn't funny now.

Small little stupid jokes like "I guess it is free" is a way for people to connect. it is a social grooming behavior that says "I like you and we are all in this boat together". people bitching about it is part of the overall trend towards misanthropy that the internet encourages.

reject anomie and embrace life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Counterpoint:

Answering “Sex” with “yes” and then laughing at your own joke for ten minutes like a child makes you a unfunny time wasting dickhead Gary.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Small little stupid jokes like "I guess it is free" is a way for people to connect. it is a social grooming behavior that says "I like you and we are all in this boat together". people bitching about it is part of the overall trend towards misanthropy that the internet encourages.

reject anomie and embrace life.

Then people looking to connect should get better material. I don't care if people crack a joke while I'm trying to scan their poo poo. I care if they crack the same unfunny joke I've heard every single goddamn day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I swear down I once had someone try to make light and joke when I was trying to work out if his elderly dad had had a transient ischaemic attack (mini stoke). "Did you notice if he's had trouble doing up the top button on his shirt recently?" "He's always had a fat neck ha ha ha" "Riight and does this mean he can never do his top button up or are you "having a laugh" sir?"

gently caress off Gary.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

Then people looking to connect should get better material. I don't care if people crack a joke while I'm trying to scan their poo poo. I care if they crack the same unfunny joke I've heard every single goddamn day.

the point of social grooming is distinct from comedic storytelling.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

learnincurve posted:

Counterpoint:

Answering “Sex” with “yes” and then laughing at your own joke for ten minutes like a child makes you a unfunny time wasting dickhead Gary.

That seems more like a dad joke than a child joke, but I agree with the general sentiment.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

You never realize how often you use your non-dominant arm until you sprain that elbow.

Oh man, I feel that. On my non-dominant arm, I've gotten a fracture at the elbow and a torn ligament in that thumb (not at the same time). Non-dominant arms/hands don't get enough credit, nor does that evolutionary miracle, the opposable thumb.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FFT posted:

You never realize how often you use your non-dominant arm until you sprain that elbow.

I did something to my left shoulder overnight so I am currently living this particular nightmare.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just a thought but I think if your approach to parking at a gas station with a small parking lot is "its okay, I'll only be a moment, I can invent a new parking spot that inconveniences everybody else" then my approach to your vehicle should be "two stabs on each tire, one on the sidewall and one on the treads"

I am so tired of being stuck in parking spaces or gas pumps because some dumbass parked with their headlights literally shining into the front door of a gas station (parked at a 45 degree angle, naturally, for a faster exit). It's a tiny-rear end gas station parking lot in a small town, Gerald! Just loving park toward the side of the building where there are lines painted on the ground!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The way that Steam will let you schedule updates for times when you're not using your computer, but will check for updates any time and stop you from playing games that have updates available.

The game that I was playing just fine yesterday has an patch out this morning, so suddenly I can't possibly play it until I install that update, which you've helpfully scheduled for 2am tonight? OK, I can tell you to just download it right away, but (depending on my internet speed and the download size) that could take a while. Why can't I just play the loving game right now?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pretty sure if you switch to offline mode you can skip that if you've gotta play Right Now

Can maybe go back online for Steam stuff once the game is running but that may require restarting Steam and thus kick you out of the game, but if you've gotta Play Right Now...

stringless has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

Pretty sure if you switch to offline mode you can skip that if you've gotta play Right Now
Nope. I recently moved house, and before I got my internet transferred over to the new address I thought I'd play a bit of one particular game only to discover that Steam had checked for but not downloaded updates the last time it had been connected to the internet and that game was not available to play.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FFT posted:

Even weirder, you don't realize how much you use your non-dominant pinky. It's a finger you never think about ever unless you play an instrument.

I f'd up my left pinky bad when I was in HS. Like dislocated it sideways and had to put it back. All of a sudden, I discovered that I used if everything. Apparently I used it to pick up pencils, carry notebooks, hand people tools, scratch my balls, etc. It was ridiculous. I remember having to pick up my notebook then I screamed in agony and dropped the notebook. Turns out I always picked up my notebook with my left hand with heavy pinky action.

Very weird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh my god, yeah. I'm a guitarist (...ish) and touched a hot pan with my pinky... That was basically two weeks of lovely chords and going OW-gently caress-right-that...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sometime in the last couple weeks, Twitter made the genius move to change the volume options on videos to the following: max volume or muted. No option to turn the poo poo down if you want to if you're using an Internet browser.

It seems such lofty options as "volume adjustment" are now relegated solely to the cell phone app.

gently caress YOU TWITTER. I ain't using your lovely mobile app. If your aim is to annoy me into using it, well it ain't gonna work. gently caress YOU. I hope you step on a Lego.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On Grindr you can freely change your username, and a lot of people have blank usernames.
A bunch of guys tend to go through periods where they'll go from having usernames and icons to blanking it out. (because the probably don't want further attention, I guess?)
That's fine, but it makes them hard to remember because suddenly they're one of dozens of blank icons without names in your chat history unless you obsessively block/delete chats.

I've had a couple guys annoyedly message me for ignoring them, when I genuinely just lost track of where their chat was because it slid down the history and they removed their name + icon without me noticing at some point.
You're partially responsible here, too, my dude. Especially since just popping onto the app to answer a message on a weekday, at any time, usually ends up having a couple no-username people firing off messages, pushing everything else in the history down.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Old guys who come to a store, don't say hello or please or do you have...? or anything, just state out the product they want to store personnel: "waterproofing spray for shoes." Motherfucker, you are always going on about respect, how about you start??

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Boomers who use the disabled toilets, instead of the men's room, as their own personal poo poo palace.

you stand there outside waiting for ages, but you don't want to say anything because it could be an actually disabled person, but nope here he is again, the boomer dude who stomps out past you aggressively challenging you to say anything with a big smirk on his face and yup, he's blocked the toilet and it stinks in there. Thanks fucker.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

One of the upsides of having most of the office WFH is we don't have 50 gross old men nuking our bathroom with their fast food shits every day

Honestly I was one bad day from burning down the Arby's next door when COVID started

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

learnincurve posted:

Boomers who use the disabled toilets, instead of the men's room, as their own personal poo poo palace.

you stand there outside waiting for ages, but you don't want to say anything because it could be an actually disabled person, but nope here he is again, the boomer dude who stomps out past you aggressively challenging you to say anything with a big smirk on his face and yup, he's blocked the toilet and it stinks in there. Thanks fucker.

That’s why they’re called boomers

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

learnincurve posted:

Maybe his disability is he can only produce massive turds?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Probably a minor one, but...

In my area we get these dumbass Cox cable commercials on TV & radio. Most recently was one where Cox talked about being able to "turn off wifi" - the example they used was some guy who paused wifi because he saw a bug that looked like a piece of dust crawling across the coffee table.

Excuse me, but why the gently caress would ANYONE turn off wifi because of a goddamn insect crawling anywhere? Of course the strong, independent, non-scared wife comes in & smacks the bug for her weak, frail husband before turning the wifi back on.

What in the everloving poo poo is the point of ANY of that? If nothing else, it makes me glad I get my service from another less idiotic, clueless company who doesn't treat their customers like mental handicaps. It's the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen or heard since Trump was president.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they are talking about malware. it is a play on spy bug software and insects. wordplay is common in advertisements.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whose bright idea was it to make Win+UU an instant shutdown--no confirmation dialogues, no "hold up, I gotta shut down these programs maybe"? :mad:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

Sometime in the last couple weeks, Twitter made the genius move to change the volume options on videos to the following: max volume or muted. No option to turn the poo poo down if you want to if you're using an Internet browser.

It seems such lofty options as "volume adjustment" are now relegated solely to the cell phone app.

gently caress YOU TWITTER. I ain't using your lovely mobile app. If your aim is to annoy me into using it, well it ain't gonna work. gently caress YOU. I hope you step on a Lego.

Anything asking me to download the app to look at it 1000% guarantees I'll be avoiding the app forever out of spite. Eat my rear end reddit, I will not be downloading your app.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anything asking me to download the app to look at it 1000% guarantees I'll be avoiding the app forever out of spite. Eat my rear end reddit, I will not be downloading your app.

:emptyquote:

And no, reddit, your video player being absolute garbage does not make me want to get he app, either.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Silver Falcon posted:

I hope you step on a Lego.

Is this a reference to something? Recently when I told a lady her puppy mill was evil she told me she hoped I stepped on a Lego. And called me a mofo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The the oven I have now has the control knob match up the temperature setting with the degrees of the circle. So if you want to set the oven to 180 °C then you turn the knob 180°. Which is such an obviously great design that I'm annoyed not every oven is using it and that it's taken this long for me to encounter it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

Is this a reference to something? Recently when I told a lady her puppy mill was evil she told me she hoped I stepped on a Lego. And called me a mofo.
Tell me you've never stepped on a Lego without telling me you've never stepped on a Lego

It's an update on "I hope you stub a toe on a coffee table"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

credburn posted:

It's just kind of a mildly humorous way to wish someone a very painful but ultimately harmless experience.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There's a bunch of cats in the neighborhood I moved to, which was pretty neat when I moved here. They'd chill and check out what you're doing, get some pets etc.
One of them followed the kids around at Halloween like an adorable little chaperone. But now that it's spring it sounds like a lot of them aren't spayed, and there's just so so much cat fighting and screeching at night.

On the plus side there aren't many/any dogs here, and I'll take some cats screeching a bit at night in the spring over 'a dog, somewhere, is always barking.'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

The the oven I have now has the control knob match up the temperature setting with the degrees of the circle. So if you want to set the oven to 180 °C then you turn the knob 180°. Which is such an obviously great design that I'm annoyed not every oven is using it and that it's taken this long for me to encounter it.

What if I'm regularly cooking food at 420?

This just reminds me how frustrating it is that all canadian temperatures are C except ovens, which are F. That's frustrating. That's a peeve. Get yourself together Canada. That's the dumbest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What if I'm regularly cooking food at 420?

Well, obviously it doesn't work with Fahrenheit. Which means that, finally, we have an objective reason to prefer one system over the other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Trying to cook at 69°C

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Brawnfire posted:

Trying to cook at 69°C
Like they do in the southeast corner of France.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just watched a man struggling to repack his bags I the aisle for two full minutes holing up everyone trying to deplane

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Borscht posted:

I just watched a man struggling to repack his bags I the aisle for two full minutes holing up everyone trying to deplane

Part of my job is weighing and judging people's carry-ons, and holy poo poo. There's a lot of peeves but that encapsulates them. Just check your luggage (another thing I have to do- loading the cargo) instead of trying to game the system.

And my wife is a flight attendant so she has to actively help and explain this poo poo to the people doing it. How the gently caress are you so dumb that a five nothing woman has to help your 6'3" rear end get luggage out? Thank god we're on different airlines or I'd be fistfighting passengers by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Part of my job is weighing and judging people's carry-ons, and holy poo poo. There's a lot of peeves but that encapsulates them. Just check your luggage (another thing I have to do- loading the cargo) instead of trying to game the system.

And my wife is a flight attendant so she has to actively help and explain this poo poo to the people doing it. How the gently caress are you so dumb that a five nothing woman has to help your 6'3" rear end get luggage out? Thank god we're on different airlines or I'd be fistfighting passengers by now.

My gf is a FA and the stories she has - I know I would not be able to be a Flight Attendant. The amount of patience this woman has for the general public is astounding