Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bruceski posted:

You know the boss you're tanking has a cleave tankbuster. Suddenly, you notice that the sprout black mage has planted their leylines right behind you. Do you:

A) say something
B) swivel the boss
C) AFK to try and make some quick popcorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I try to aim the boss so that it won't hit them, but if there isn't anywhere that won't cleave someone else, farewell black mage, now you know for next time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I mean, I think if the first thing that comes to mind is "plant myself behind the tank and in front of the boss" they should probably learn why that's a bad idea sooner rather than later.

RIP sprout.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

iPodschun posted:

There's a chance the hamsa mount will be a reputation reward from the upcoming tribe quests in 6.15.
We are supposed to get a new Deep Dungeon in Endwalker, too...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's the healer's job to Rescue them. :colbert:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hogama posted:

We are supposed to get a new Deep Dungeon in Endwalker, too...

I thought the next deep dungeon wasn't until 7.0?

E: oops I'm wrong. Korean fanfest 2022 confirmed new deep dungeon somewhere in the 6.x patch cycle

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 28, 2022

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I thought the next deep dungeon wasn't until 7.0?

E: oops I'm wrong. Korean fanfest 2022 confirmed new deep dungeon somewhere in the 6.x patch cycle

I would assume it'll be patch 6.35 if the usual cadence of content is anything to go by. (PotD release was 3.35, HoH was 4.35)

I wouldn't be surprised if the relic system got bolted onto this expansions deep dungeon system

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Fiye posted:

I would assume it'll be patch 6.35 if the usual cadence of content is anything to go by. (PotD release was 3.35, HoH was 4.35)
It was also mentioned during the roadmap live letter for 6.3, so 6.35 sounds right

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kazy posted:

It's the healer's job to Rescue them. :colbert:

??? I think you got that backwards. You're meant to Rescue them INTO the cleave. Or off the edge. Either way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fiye posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the relic system got bolted onto this expansions deep dungeon system
My bet is it's connected to the "Criterion Dungeons" thing, they're making three of those after all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fiye posted:

God, please no. :negative:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dear Fellow Goons, is it actually possible to set your retainer to be a class such as Astrologian or Reaper, or is this actually impossible? I have a copy of modern vocation but this is three times now that I think I've just reset the retainer's job and it's very frustrating. The guides do not make sense to me.

Can someone outline the exact steps I need to take to get a retainer to take on a class job? And if it's impossible to do for the post-ARR jobs, just say so because all the guidance seems to suggest you can, except that when I try to follow it I just wipe the job progress, whatever it was.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nessus posted:

Dear Fellow Goons, is it actually possible to set your retainer to be a class such as Astrologian or Reaper, or is this actually impossible? I have a copy of modern vocation but this is three times now that I think I've just reset the retainer's job and it's very frustrating. The guides do not make sense to me.

Can someone outline the exact steps I need to take to get a retainer to take on a class job? And if it's impossible to do for the post-ARR jobs, just say so because all the guidance seems to suggest you can, except that when I try to follow it I just wipe the job progress, whatever it was.

They need to be above level 50 for HW and StB jobs. Above level 60 for Shadowbringers jobs. Dunno about EW jobs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

They need to be above level 50 for HW and StB jobs. Above level 60 for Shadowbringers jobs. Dunno about EW jobs.
Ah I see, I just shot my bolt too soon on this one, I thought you could do it at 30 for AST since that's when you can grab AST

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nessus posted:

Ah I see, I just shot my bolt too soon on this one, I thought you could do it at 30 for AST since that's when you can grab AST

Yup, 50 is also the point they need to be at to get advanced jobs (WHM etc).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my schmoney is definitely on relics coming in on the criterion dungeons. they start in 6.2 patch series, which tracks with anemos and the bozja prequest hitting in 4.25 and 5.25 respectively.

they mostly just threw the content name out there for us to speculate on but I figure we'll have something to go on by the 6.2 Part 2 live letter

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm almost certain Criterion Dungeons will be something like World of Warcraft Mythic Plus Dungeons. Because they've stated they specifically are interested in creating difficult, scaling, end-game dungeon content like Mythic Plus.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'll take a Dodo

~8 million on Crystal's boards :(

I'll try my luck with HoH thanks you two!

Thé dodo can also be found in the 4.0 material coffers bought for 20n GC seals. It’s basically gacha but if you’re sitting on seals, it’s another way.

I got one through it :cool:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm almost certain Criterion Dungeons will be something like World of Warcraft Mythic Plus Dungeons. Because they've stated they specifically are interested in creating difficult, scaling, end-game dungeon content like Mythic Plus.

i seriously fucken hope so

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lord_Magmar posted:

In addition to this, they can't also already have a job. Which is annoying, my combat retainer still isn't 90 after I reset them to make them a reaper. Taking that nerd longer to hit 90 than it took me to get everything to 90. But then I am not really doing... anything at all to expedite that process since I don't want to babysit a retainer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That reminds me: is there any benefit to sending them out on 18 hour trips instead of hourly? Since all I’ve gotten the past few days is common mats and vendor trash

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Lord_Magmar posted:

For the uninitiated: what’s a Mythic+ dungeon? I’m looking at some guides but they’re more focused on describing how they work than what they are. Are they modifiers on existing dungeon content?

e:

Regalingualius posted:

That reminds me: is there any benefit to sending them out on 18 hour trips instead of hourly? Since all I’ve gotten the past few days is common mats and vendor trash

If you’re trying to level them, then an 18-hour venture is better than leaving them idle for 17 hours. If you’re in it for venture coffers and Stuffed Bom Bokos, stick with Quick Exploration.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Regalingualius posted:

4-5k gil in silver pieces and a chance at minion. (18 hour venture)

Hourly - GC seal positive w/ chance at rare dyes.

The best I can really describe the difference between them.

I'm partial to the 18 hour when I have nothing better to do (Its passive income after all) but if I need more venture tokens or I need quick exp I run the hourly. Even if you only get 4-5 quick ventures in its more exp.

Fiye fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 28, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

blastron posted:

For the uninitiated: what’s a Mythic+ dungeon? I’m looking at some guides but they’re more focused on describing how they work than what they are. Are they modifiers on existing dungeon content?

The way WoW does it yes, all the levelling dungeons have two max level versions (Heroic and then Mythic, you can queue for Heroic via dungeon finder but not Mythic) and then beyond that you get Mythic+ difficulty. Where the dungeon has mechanics from Mythic, but the strength of enemies scales up based on the Mythic + level, and at different levels they add modifiers like Bosses or Trash get much stronger scaling, or you get explosions that spawn during combat, or enemies buff eachother when they die in close proximity. The goal is to finish the dungeon under a time limit, which involves all bosses plus a set amount of the trash.

WoW dungeons are often far less linear than FFXIV.

My guess, based on the name, is that Criterion Dungeons will be non-linear, with a list of tasks (or Criteria) to complete to finish the dungeon, but it’ll still be a designed dungeon, compared to the random layouts of deep dungeons.

So a Criterion Dungeon will probably feel like a small non linear area to explore, with scaling difficulty options and maybe weekly changes.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I am now feverishly praying that scaling dungeons does not mean staring down the barrel of Thousand Maws of Toto-rak (Criterion III).

(finger curls on the monkey’s paw, Copperbell Mines appears in the patch notes)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

blastron posted:

I am now feverishly praying that scaling dungeons does not mean staring down the barrel of Thousand Maws of Toto-rak (Criterion III).

(finger curls on the monkey’s paw, Copperbell Mines appears in the patch notes)

The fact that they specify them as Criterion Dungeons 1 2 and 3 (same as Deep Dungeon 3) suggests to me that FFXIV’s version will be distinct instances separate from their normal dungeons.

The content in game that probably would be most similar is the Bahamut Raids where you explore around fighting multiple trash packs/mini bosses.

Scaling just means that you can progress through harder versions of the same dungeon with higher health and damage.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’ve been reading Criterion as in “Criterion Collection” this whole time. I assumed it was the new version of Hard dungeons for some ones that never got a chance

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the idea I've read that I like the most is that they're difficulty modifiers you can set to adjust the rewards, like Hades heat or something

my (admittedly limited) understanding of mythic+ is that it's content that scales into an infinitely increasing item level, which doesn't really jive with FFXIV's controlled ilvl unless that power increase was locked to that piece of content. not that they haven't done that already with elemental gear in eureka and bozja essences, though

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I wouldn't expect too much from the Criterion dungeons. They said they would scale to group size so that already sets off alarm bells if you are expecting challenging content.

For the Triple Triad cards that can only be bought from the gold saucer vendor, do they get discounted in the make it rain event or is it safe to buy them? I think last year i got Gigi and a couple of others, but will the rest be discounted over time or is it always the same three?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I half expect they'll cock it up in some way like only paying out their own non-tomestone brand of funbucks that doesn't stop you having to do the standard roulettes to get your weekly caps, sounds promising though even if it's not as extensive and hardcore as WoW's mythic any type of 4 player content which isn't doing the same few dungeons on autopilot would be fantastic

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

don't bozja and eureka pay out tomestones?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJ posted:

For the Triple Triad cards that can only be bought from the gold saucer vendor, do they get discounted in the make it rain event or is it safe to buy them? I think last year i got Gigi and a couple of others, but will the rest be discounted over time or is it always the same three?

Think it’s only ever the Gold Saucer-related or adjacent ones like the GS Attendant. Sometimes specific cards are offered at a discount during other events, like Noctis during the 15 xover.

You can probably go ahead and buy whatever else you’re looking at though.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I was thinking/hoping that the criterion would be dungeon mutations you pick before going into the dungeon, like Hades heat

So if you go in with no mutations selected it should be a breeze even solo, but if you want to jack up the difficulty to give everything extra health and have AoEs constantly chase you and be forced to fight an extra boss or whatever, you'd need a full group of players who are Good At This Game

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

didn't they say it just scales to the amount of people? tbh i think people are in for some disappointment if they're expecting systems of difficulty more complex than that, but hopefully we'll have a clearer picture soon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vitamean posted:

the idea I've read that I like the most is that they're difficulty modifiers you can set to adjust the rewards, like Hades heat or something

my (admittedly limited) understanding of mythic+ is that it's content that scales into an infinitely increasing item level, which doesn't really jive with FFXIV's controlled ilvl unless that power increase was locked to that piece of content. not that they haven't done that already with elemental gear in eureka and bozja essences, though

It's not quite infinitely increasing in mythic +. The Gear caps out at the same level as top end pvp and raiding does in WoW (in fact it caps out earlier, but you get top level gear once a week from a chest for doing the highest ilvl mythic keystones, more options for more keystones done).

So the equivalent in FFXIV would be dungeons that give you the same gear as the current savage raid, provided you did a hard enough version of it. It's probably not going to be this, but instead tied into the catchup mechanic for the expansion like Bozja.

Ryanbomber posted:

I was thinking/hoping that the criterion would be dungeon mutations you pick before going into the dungeon, like Hades heat

So if you go in with no mutations selected it should be a breeze even solo, but if you want to jack up the difficulty to give everything extra health and have AoEs constantly chase you and be forced to fight an extra boss or whatever, you'd need a full group of players who are Good At This Game

This is basically a description for Mythic + just with choose your mutations instead of each week having 3 random mutations and one specific mutation tied to the current patch/raid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mythic sounds awful and I hope they put a shred of effort into making things interesting instead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Mythic sounds awful and I hope they put a shred of effort into making things interesting instead.

Mythic itself is literally just hard mode dungeons, in that it takes existing dungeons and increases the mechanics on the bosses. Mythic Plus is just that but with additional modifiers to increase difficulty.

It's perfectly fine and interesting, just not necessarily very "different" in terms of the content you do.

They will almost certainly not do exactly Mythic Plus, because that system doesn't work in FFXIV (in part because dungeons only have the one difficulty, whereas WoW has the levelling version and then the max level version of every dungeon in an expansion). They will probably do something more complicated than their existing dungeons though, because they specifically named Mythic + as a content style they want to deliver, but they deliver raids and do that plenty differently from WoW so they will probably be their own unique flavour on endgame dungeon content with difficulty modifiers.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Gnossiennes posted:

didn't they say it just scales to the amount of people? tbh i think people are in for some disappointment if they're expecting systems of difficulty more complex than that, but hopefully we'll have a clearer picture soon.
This was my read on it, rather than the more common Mythic+ equivalent. They're already trying to shift the game to be more solo-friendly so I think this is another step in that direction, where the focus is more on the "1-4 players" part than the "variable difficulty" part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

In addition to this, they can't also already have a job. Which is annoying, my combat retainer still isn't 90 after I reset them to make them a reaper. Taking that nerd longer to hit 90 than it took me to get everything to 90. But then I am not really doing... anything at all to expedite that process since I don't want to babysit a retainer.
So you were able to successfully get a retainer onto Reaper?

If I understand it, the sequence of events is

1. Grind it up to 50/60/(70? 80?) in some job or other - will Miner work?
2. Use the change job interface -- this part I am a little unclear about because I stripped off all the gear and clicked "change class" but did not see an option to change to a job, though it's possible I had no copy of Modern Vocate when I tried this
3. select new job, re-dress the retainer

I did have the retainer up to like in the 60s once when I tried step 2, but I don't remember if I had Modern Vocations on hand or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

iPodschun posted:

This was my read on it, rather than the more common Mythic+ equivalent. They're already trying to shift the game to be more solo-friendly so I think this is another step in that direction, where the focus is more on the "1-4 players" part than the "variable difficulty" part.

Personally I think it'll be a bit of both. The content will scale for group size, and you'll be able to give it variable difficulty via modification selections (ala Hades as people say). I bring up Mythic + because they've directly stated an interest in similar content, and Criterion Dungeons sound like they could be it, but I don't think it'll actually resemble Mythic + beyond the idea of end game dungeon content that has meaningful rewards.