Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've checked my opinions over the last fifteen years and actually they confirm he is the best formula one driver after Kamui Kobayashi

finally, someone talking sense in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Windmill Hut posted:

F1 is back in Australia :unsmith: I will be there on the Friday. I'm excited for the track changes, particularly the removal of the chicane at Turn 9/10.

Now we just need one of the Ocon, Alonso or Norris to get unwell so Piastri can drive :australia: :australia:

Also, gently caress the FIA ban on military flyovers, what a joke. The RAAF F18s buzzing the city was one of the highlights of the weekend.

you're a fuckin' idiot on this military flyovers thing

what if it isn't exactly 70F and partially cloudy with sub-10mph winds? you're gonna be looking like a real rear end in a top hat when an f35 has cratered into the apex of turn 3 and a race gets canceled.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

To respect are troops the chequered flag will be waved by Ben Roberts-Smith

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

To respect are troops the chequered flag will be waved by Ben Roberts-Smith

He has to have a specific amount of hours participating in FIA events to still be considered a war criminal.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Its ok to like fast, noisy & high tech machines even if they are intrinsically linked with a corrupt, fascistic organisation.

Also jets are cool too

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Points for McLaren :toot: the sandbags have come off, this is the beginning of their 2022 WCC.

Feel bad for Alonso. He was having a good run.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man it’s probably unrealistic but imagine we get a couple races like today except Mercedes is also in the mix and we get six drivers vying for the lead. Strategy and racecraft will fall apart when we get 4d-chess under and over cuts, the top six will fight so hard that randomly Bottas and KMag end up in the mix.

It won’t happen, it’s a really stupid hope, but god drat it let me dream.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man it’s probably unrealistic but imagine we get a couple races like today except Mercedes is also in the mix and we get six drivers vying for the lead. Strategy and racecraft will fall apart when we get 4d-chess under and over cuts, the top six will fight so hard that randomly Bottas and KMag end up in the mix.

It won’t happen, it’s a really stupid hope, but god drat it let me dream.

This but McLaren.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAN5IMTRnE

Watching the post-race show, Lando shows up at 14:55 - kind of not used to seeing a driver be that up-front about how poo poo their car is doing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

This but McLaren.

Look I said it was a stupid hope, not that it was hopeless. :(

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAN5IMTRnE

Watching the post-race show, Lando shows up at 14:55 - kind of not used to seeing a driver be that up-front about how poo poo their car is doing.

I like how the host is trying to be optimistic and Lando's like "no, really. our car is a piece of poo poo"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

If I was the greatest race car driver of all time I would try to not let the worst driver on the track lose me the championship.

*Petrov chuckles

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

zhel posted:

Lmao go sharl go!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Minimum Racecraften

MagicCube posted:

Holy poo poo Max has no race sense at all. Embarrassing.

Solkanar512 posted:

Hahahahahahaha suck it max

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

hahahahaha max is so dumb

Frond posted:

Verstappen is a moron.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

haha max has no skillz

haha lol max owns

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dictator. posted:

haha lol max owns

*furiously scrolling through the whole thread to defend my beautiful frogboy*

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Aphex- posted:

that's frogboy the world champion to you

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

big nipples big life posted:

you don't want f1 to put the names of dead troops on the halo and stop in the middle of the race for a moment of advertising silence?

This, but a safety car situation where only the first 5 lapped cars allowed to overtake.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, visiting the UK from the US and it’s impressive how little stuff is in the F1TV app. Basically same race content as YouTube. Not even the full F2 race.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Aphex- posted:

i didn't watch the race live, just scrolled back a few pages to see comments and these were all on 1 page.

the max hate here is so strong, sorry frogboy beat your monagasque wet dream, better luck next time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

smackfu posted:

Wow, visiting the UK from the US and it’s impressive how little stuff is in the F1TV app. Basically same race content as YouTube. Not even the full F2 race.

Gp2 app

Also condolences on being here

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you’re an American and enjoy the NFL, F1TV feels like the inverse of NFL game pass.

Overseas on game pass you can stream any game live and get shitloads of content for $15 USD a month. Domestically, you get nfl game replays a day later and gently caress you that’s it. F1TV rules internationally but seems to follow the same stupid rear end sports broadcast rules domestically for the UK.

Death to sports broadcasting.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Still laughing that Russian fertilizer money paid for a good car that said Russian oligarch's fail son can't drive. Also, was anyone else a bit shocked by how weird and casual Latifi sounded on the radio for an a absolute shitter of a crash?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

smackfu posted:

I'm confused. F1tv web has the F2 sprint and feature race in full?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dictator. posted:

i didn't watch the race live, just scrolled back a few pages to see comments and these were all on 1 page.

the max hate here is so strong, sorry frogboy beat your monagasque wet dream, better luck next time.

I'm a Mclaren fan, I don't need luck.

I just need a not dogshit car :lando:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dirk Pitt posted:

Also, was anyone else a bit shocked by how weird and casual Latifi sounded on the radio for an a absolute shitter of a crash?

it's become routine

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just caught up on the thread after watching the race this morning, that was a good-rear end race even if all the drivers are right that this track needs to be safer.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Still laughing that Russian fertilizer money paid for a good car that said Russian oligarch's fail son can't drive. Also, was anyone else a bit shocked by how weird and casual Latifi sounded on the radio for an a absolute shitter of a crash?

I mean, the Russian billionaire’s son not enjoying the fruit of the 2021 labors is hilarious because it’s firmly in the “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” category IMO. Make your money and spend it this way, but lol when that bites back.

Also from watching the race and replay, it almost looked like Latifi had a suspension break? It looked like a really weird snap, and not regular oversteer.

And now we get out of the Gulf and over to Australia for the first time since COVID started. Very excited for this one.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dictator. posted:

Max pulling the first legit clean racing move in his F1 career doesn't a racing driver make imo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Another great race, K-Mag still impressing, Ocon somehow has somehow become a racing driver at some point, astonishing, and ...well at least Lando is in the top ten. Danny stop blowing the car up.

Latifi screaming NO MAX IT'S MY WALL I SAW IT FIRST! *CLANG*

Cimber posted:

I'm sure the ride home on the Alpine plane is going to be rather awkward. :D

This was farsighted.

Carteret posted:

Crofty shut the gently caress up

I thought he was going to cry in the last laps jfc.

straight up brolic posted:

KMag playing Lewis like a fiddle lmfaoooo

I like to see a driver learning something, seems to be a rare occurance.

marshalljim posted:

Yeah, just make sure you're drinking Foster's. Australians lovvvvvvvvve Foster's and don't ever let them tell you otherwise.

And drop bears. Drop bears are everywhere, wear a helmet at night.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

harperdc posted:

Also from watching the race and replay, it almost looked like Latifi had a suspension break? It looked like a really weird snap, and not regular oversteer.
I was wondering the same after watching the replay.

Don't get me wrong; Latifi still sucks. But the point where he loses control doesn't seem quite right for "I hosed up and misjudged the turn". It looks like he suddenly loses a measure of either grip or steering.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

Ocon somehow has somehow become a racing driver at some point, astonishing

he's a grand prix race winner, OP

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Looked like Latifi got on the throttle too soon and lost the rear end.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

acidx posted:

Looked like Latifi got on the throttle too soon and lost the rear end.
I think the problem was his reaction, where the excessive counter-steer drove himself straight in to the wall.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://twitter.com/Speedcaster/status/1508247492923736067

"for two points I would've hosed the whole paddock" lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think the problem was his reaction, where the excessive counter-steer drove himself straight in to the wall.

Could have been, but if you lose the rear bad enough then it doesn't matter what you do, you're a passenger. You can try to correct for it and drive straight into the wall or try and drift it and spin into the wall, but the wall is where you're going. Idk how bad Latifi lost it but probably bad because he's not good at driving.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't he lose the rear in Abu Dhabi as well? I'd go with the option of him just being bad.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Theophany posted:

Make him Ferrari team principle. The passion is off the chart.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't he lose the rear in Abu Dhabi as well? I'd go with the option of him just being bad.

it's entirely possible he's just not F1 good, destined to take his money into IndyCar and/or sports cars sooner than later, and that's not like some surprise I've never thought of. and maybe it was being a bit tired and watching it on the phone screen this morning, but it just seemed like a potential front failure (so suspension failure) than just running out of talent getting onto the throttle.

Theophany posted:

if anyone is interested, there was a real good interview/article with Guenther Steiner recently in Motorsports Magazine about leading the Ford Focus WRC program, and developing that Focus WRC in nine months. The man is smart and also so dedicated to motorsports, and I'm real happy it looks like Haas' development has paid off.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Theophany posted:

F1 2022: For 2 pts I’d have f*cked the whole paddock

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Meanwhile

quote:

Bono: OK Lewis, that's P10. Sorry about that.
Lewis: Is there even a point for that position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Xakura posted:

Meanwhile

Yes Lewis. Your performance helped Merc keep the lead over RB.

#Blessed