Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Getting a lot of boomer “telling it like it is” energy from this. Slapping people without their consent is not cool, the *one* exception I would give would be if the person was a nazi, but otherwise, nah. Don’t.

I think there’s a lot of pearl clutching going on here, (not in this thread but in the discourse) and of course slapping somebody that isn’t a Nazi isn’t cool. But at the same time we’re watching modern civilization crumbling in slow motion and the horrors were going to see in the next 30 years are going to be something, so who cares really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I only consent to be slapped after talking poo poo about someone else's wife, personally. Either that or in certain :heysexy: scenarios.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

BigglesSWE posted:

Getting a lot of boomer “telling it like it is” energy from this. Slapping people without their consent is not cool, the *one* exception I would give would be if the person was a nazi, but otherwise, nah. Don’t.

lmfao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chris Rock just became Will Smith rich.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
leave it to goons to say you should ask for someone's consent to slap them if they joke about your loved one's disease

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder what your wife thinks of this post.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m fairly sure my fiancé wouldn’t be super happy if I up and slapped idiots for making fun of her, there *are* other avenues of coping, hth.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Women love it when you ruin the oscars

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
really happy i'm not the fiancé of the guy who wouldn't do jack poo poo if someone would crack a loving joke about my disease lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Riven posted:

That tops them accidentally giving an Oscar to the wrong film for 30 seconds as craziest thing to happen at the Oscars.

moving best actor to the end to honor chadwick boseman's passing and then anthony hopkins winning was pretty high up there too lmao

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

nawilo_420 posted:

really happy i'm not the fiancé of the guy who wouldn't do jack poo poo if someone would crack a loving joke about my disease lol

Good for you bro. Really happy I’m not living in a universe where needlessly slapping people is the only way to resolve situations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'd better assault Chris Rock so my wife doesn't notice I laughed at her sickness. Maybe later I can claim tonight as a victory for civil rights.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

I'd better assault Chris Rock so my wife doesn't notice I laughed at her sickness. Maybe later I can claim tonight as a victory for civil rights.

Hell it seems to work for this dead gayass forum…

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the slap owned and anyone crying about it like chris rock got dimebag darrell'd is a huge weenie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FunkyAl posted:

Women love it when you ruin the oscars

It made it more entertaining than ever before

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I dunno, more people getting slapped for saying stupid poo poo sounds cool to me.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

BigglesSWE posted:

Good for you bro. Really happy I’m not living in a universe where needlessly slapping people is the only way to resolve situations.

lol you are the nerd that got shoved into a locker and then wanted to discuss with the bullies why their behaviour was illogical aren't you

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure my wife would leave me if I punched somebody over some tasteless joke about her. I couldn’t personally care less about any of the three people involved but this episode promotes some toxic masculinity poo poo. Why couldn’t it have been some harmless mixup again over the wrong film winning Best Picture? Why does the moment of drama in this ceremony have to be an advertisement for dumb toxic men?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is the first year I was bored enough to watch the Oscars.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Colonel Whitey posted:

The funniest part of the incident was that Will laughed at the joke initially. I wish Rock had the wherewithal to have told Jada to run the tape back when they get home.

He's in a situation primed to politely laugh at Rock's jokes like everyone, it might not have immediately hit him what he was saying. Plus I've definitely been in situations where someone made a joke or remark that shocked me to the point where I'll laugh or chuckle because I don't know what else to do, and later wish I'd said something.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Vegetable posted:

Pretty sure my wife would leave me if I punched somebody over some tasteless joke about her. I couldn’t personally care less about any of the three people involved but this episode promotes some toxic masculinity poo poo. Why couldn’t it have been some harmless mixup again over the wrong film winning Best Picture? Why does the moment of drama in this ceremony have to be an advertisement for dumb toxic men?

you really are a master of hot takes op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I hope I can impart to anyone who thinks the slap was cool is that the slap is the equivalent of the guy open palm slamming Riddick into the tape player and doing all the moves. Will smith is a millionaire who lives with fantasy enablers and now believes that if you are violent and it is cool enough, that this will fix things.

CelticPredator posted:

It made it more entertaining than ever before
She will be unable to read anything about how her expensive dress looked in tomorrow's paper

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

nawilo_420 posted:

lol you are the nerd that got shoved into a locker and then wanted to discuss with the bullies why their behaviour was illogical aren't you

I’m the nerd who got slapped and spat on at work for not allowing someone to continue harassing another passenger on a train so forgive me for not being overtly “hoorah” when a manbaby has a temper tantrum ion live television.

It’s crazy to me that the same forum that chants “eat the rich” on a regular basis is stanning a millionaire for handling a bad joke in the worst way possible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think from now on instead of votes the outcome of the awards should be decided in an American Gladiators type event.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I think from now on instead of votes the outcome of the awards should be decided in an American Gladiators type event.

Zack Snyder would win on that front too!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

teagone posted:

I dunno, more people getting slapped for saying stupid poo poo sounds cool to me.

This post is going to cost you in purgatory

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
LoL the chuds on gaf are saying this is part of some wide reaching leftist conspiracy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Uwe Boll just keeps winning best director.

Dpulex posted:

LoL the chuds on gaf are saying this is part of some wide reaching leftist conspiracy

I don't want to start googling this but I'm dying to know what the nefarious end goal is of a guy getting bitch slapped on tv.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can’t believe Will Smith drew a Tek-9 and perforated Chris Rock on live television.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

I hope I can impart to anyone who thinks the slap was cool is that the slap is the equivalent of the guy open palm slamming Riddick into the tape player and doing all the moves. Will smith is a millionaire who lives with fantasy enablers and now believes that if you are violent and it is cool enough, that this will fix things.

Alright let's clear the air here lmao. Should Will Smith have slapped Chris Rock? No, he shouldn't have done that. Smith even acknowledges this in his best actor speech. BUT, do I think the slap was unwarranted or unresonable? No, I don't believe it was. I say this based on Will Smith's present/past circumstances and just having general empathy because gently caress man, jokes can cut deep sometimes and it can be hard to deal with, especially if you've got some internal battling going on. So I get why he did what he did.

But also, like I said earlier, millionaires slapping the poo poo out of each other unscripted on live TV is pretty funny so if it happens more often, cool.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 28, 2022

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

king richard and coda are interesting because king richard shows how you can elevate what would be a very conventional biopic and coda shows how if you do paint by number you win a bunch of big awards

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R. Guyovich posted:

king richard and coda are interesting because king richard shows how you can elevate what would be a very conventional biopic and coda shows how if you do paint by number you win a bunch of big awards

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

teagone posted:

Alright let's clear the air here lmao. Should Will Smith have slapped Chris Rock? No, he shouldn't have done that. Smith even acknowledges this in his best actor speech. BUT, do I think the slap was unwarranted or unresonable? No, I don't believe it was. I say this based on Will Smith's present/past circumstances and just having general empathy because gently caress man, jokes can cut deep sometimes and it can be hard to deal with, especially if you've got some internal battling going on.

But also, like I said earlier, millionaires slapping the poo poo out of each other unscripted on live TV is pretty funny so if it happens more often, cool.

Watching his acceptance speech made it very clear that he obviously has some kind of poo poo going on. I think ultimately it'll blow over, not damage his career significantly, and then he'll spend years and years being made fun of for being an arrogant douche who hits people like Sean Penn and Russell Crowe (even though his motivations were quite different from those other two).

But also gently caress 'em both. Awards ceremonies are where a bunch of rich people pal around in single outfits that cost more than every article of clothing I own combined so they can all huff their own farts for three or four hours.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 28, 2022

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i think all categories should be decided in trial by combat. just throw them all in the ring with a variety of sharp implements

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status/1508293811444740097

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
honestly, slapping someone over joking about his wife's health is the most normal, relatable, human thing that will smith has ever done in the last 20 years tbh

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Freak things can and do happen and people do die from single hits, this post and the resharing of it are lame as heck. Justice for Judd

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
It would've been better if Will Smith smacked whatever low-level TV writer wrote that crap joke IMO.

not because it was offensive but like how is GI Jane worth mentioning 25 years later. i guess in that way it's very appropriate for the oscars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R. Guyovich posted:

i think all categories should be decided in trial by combat. just throw them all in the ring with a variety of sharp implements

May the Oscars be ever in your favor.