Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The Pursuit of Slappyness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

This is why bidets are revolutionary. Why wipe yourself when you can get a robot with a high pressure hose to do it for you and make a soft tinkling chirp noise when its done...
Imagining the butter robot from Rick & Morty but for this.

Failed Imagineer posted:

A slapfight that happened at the literal and metaphorical epicentre of the global consent factory. The semiotics of all that are going to be keeping po-mo cultural critics in hot takes for years to come
It's going to be like the McCoffee thing, late night hosts and edgelord netflix comedians making jokes about hurt feelings and not mentioning that Jada has a medical condition, and taking the piss out of it on stage is kind of lovely.

The whole thing is dumb though because it's unlikely Rock wrote the joke by himself, and confronting him about it on TV is about the worst way to deal with it. It was a lovely joke but also a really dumb way to deal with it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mebh posted:

Keir Starmer. Forever the most bran flakes of politician. The box it comes in is more interesting, makes you poo poo, only liked by old people who you've never seen in real life, constantly talked about as something necessary for you to consume.

I like bran flakes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

but i would urge them to go further, by removing the remaining flavour

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The whole thing is dumb though because it's unlikely Rock wrote the joke by himself, and confronting him about it on TV is about the worst way to deal with it. It was a lovely joke but also a really dumb way to deal with it.

Hear hear. As my 6 year old said this morning: "In a world full of Will Smiths, be a Zelensky" 🙏🇺🇦.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

keep punching joe posted:

Hear hear. As my 6 year old said this morning: "In a world full of Will Smiths, be a Zelensky" 🙏🇺🇦.

Even knowing it's a joke this is still raising my blood pressure to read.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my god my mental defences can't even cope with the rush of takes about this Oscars thing, I'm literally going to have to go into an isolation chamber for a month when the Queen dies.

Well that would be a pretty good alibi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh my god my mental defences can't even cope with the rush of takes about this Oscars thing, I'm literally going to have to go into an isolation chamber for a month when the Queen dies.

lol if the queen's death isn't the time to strap yourself in and face the Content

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Dehumanize yourself and face to incredible content

E: I will legit take the day off work but not to mourn, just to lolscroll all day long

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

But can you sum it up in a sound?
Yes, but I’ll need the illumination of a NJAN99 post to help me make it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to incredible content

E: I will legit take the day off work but not to mourn, just to lolscroll all day long

I actual don't have a clue what the reaction is going to be in like in Dublin. There's a lot of decorum-poisoned people around, but also a lot of salt of the earth North Dublin republican types so it could get pretty spicy lol

Mebh
May 10, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I like bran flakes

I've never seen you in real life so quite possibly you're made up!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Who are some good Irish republican aligned commentators to follow in anticipation of the big day?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Who are some good Irish republican aligned commentators to follow in anticipation of the big day?

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/685911795886862337?t=zNlYdgOIys0wbJFtG6QeNw&s=19

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mebh posted:

I've never seen you in real life so quite possibly you're made up!

Just knowing you don't like bran flakes isnt enough to figure out what's wrong with you. What is a good bowl of cereal to you?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

The Pursuit of Slappyness

Handrock

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I too like bran flakes, I like them with buttermilk (not true buttermilk, but cultured milk).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
What's the bran cereal called that are small stick shaped?
I loved those, haven't had them in a long while.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

The final gently caress you of the housing market will be using all the empty investment units as containers for flour.

https://twitter.com/ArtLesb0/status/1506361287151865864

stop posting about grown men slapping each other for a bit. What's wrong with cheap, recyclable paper packaging?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

What's the bran cereal called that are small stick shaped?
I loved those, haven't had them in a long while.

that'll be the all bran.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SixFigureSandwich posted:

grown men slapping each other

revisionism already smh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A big hot bowl of Ready Brek with a handful of All-Bran thrown in on top :yum: taste of the 1980s for me

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

SixFigureSandwich posted:

stop posting about grown men slapping each other for a bit. What's wrong with cheap, recyclable paper packaging?

Nowt wrong with the packaging itself, just its a terrible medium to hold poo poo that easily flows out and cant easily be put back in again in leakages.

that'll be the all bran.

Ah, thanks. Can't remember seeing them around here recently. These tasted better than Bran Flakes to me.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ready Brekk is just middle class porridge imo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I’ve been making 50/50 oats/whole grain teff overnight slow cooker porridge recently. (My son is diabetic and coeliac; teff, which is gluten free, both increases the protein level and lowers the glycemic index. Plus it’s a delicious combo). Where does that fall on the porridge class spectrum?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What's Shrek's twitter account?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

that'll be the all bran.

Yeah but which one

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's middle class now? I always thought of it as "single mum needs to get 5 kids out the door to school in under 60 seconds" based on my own upbringing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Nowt wrong with the packaging itself, just its a terrible medium to hold poo poo that easily flows out and cant easily be put back in again in leakages.
Yes it's this. There should be a flour jug that you buy once to put them in, like with bagged milk. There should also be bagged milk.

Some places have gone the complete other way around to find a solution though.

Those places are Wrong. :france:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yes it's this. There should be a flour jug that you buy once to put them in, like with bagged milk.

You can pick a not-tupperware container exactly like this in every pound shop in the country.

However, the reason why flour gets packed in paper rather than plastic (or even waxed paper like sugar) is that sitting in an airtight container with an air gap over it promotes fungal growth much more quickly than either leaving it out in the open (although obviously there's insect and other hygiene problems with that) or just folding over the top of the paper bag. Not a problem if you're getting through a bag in a couple of weeks, but longer than that you get to spin the Wheel Of Ergotism.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can pick a not-tupperware container exactly like this in every pound shop in the country.

However, the reason why flour gets packed in paper rather than plastic (or even waxed paper like sugar) is that sitting in an airtight container with an air gap over it promotes fungal growth much more quickly than either leaving it out in the open (although obviously there's insect and other hygiene problems with that) or just folding over the top of the paper bag. Not a problem if you're getting through a bag in a couple of weeks, but longer than that you get to spin the Wheel Of Ergotism.

Can the wheel reward you with LSD, or is it just unpleasant illnesses?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I could buy a flour bag sized tupperware type thing and punch some holes in the top with a bradawl, but I'm not sure how many people actually would.

The accepted solution from twitter on it was to use an American style Quaker Oats can, which I guess makes sense.

The general solution I see in people's houses is that flour gets places.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hitsh

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

You've really got to be a true proletarian to consider Ready Brek to be middle class, I certainly can't manage that myself.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I bought some of those tubs people use for cereal. One for bread flour, one for self-raising.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We never got it, it was considered too dear. Oats and water that was our breakfast. a splash of milk if you were lucky.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Hey thread,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a noise complaint?

Both me and my neighbour have been visited by the council, me today, and her a couple months ago, in relation to dogs barking.

When the council staff came to my door they advised that recordings had been made.

They didn't tell me when the actual noises were made, or when the infraction actually occurred.

They recommended getting anti bark collars for the dogs... I don't believe that's necessary as they don't excessively bark.

Me and my neighbour are confused as if there is another report, we wouldn't know who it was directed at. We both agree that neither of our pets bother each of us (and we live in semi-detached homes) and as a PTSD sufferer I'm up very easily in the night if there is a disturbance.

It could also be the case where they thought it was next door, when it might have been my dogs.

One of my dogs is elderly and for a few nights was crying cos she was in pain. But I wouldn't have let her cry on, I'd get up to check on her.

Otherwise I wouldn't be the type to leave them barking as I generally don't want any bother!

At this point all the council has done has advised me of the complaint, but also advised if it gets raised again I could be fined or have the dogs taken away. This cannot happen.

Any guidance or advice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBF if will smith punches the queen into the jaw (as a symbol) and she dies that would definitely be very funny.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Hey thread,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a noise complaint?

Both me and my neighbour have been visited by the council, me today, and her a couple months ago, in relation to dogs barking.

When the council staff came to my door they advised that recordings had been made.

They didn't tell me when the actual noises were made, or when the infraction actually occurred.

They recommended getting anti bark collars for the dogs... I don't believe that's necessary as they don't excessively bark.

Me and my neighbour are confused as if there is another report, we wouldn't know who it was directed at. We both agree that neither of our pets bother each of us (and we live in semi-detached homes) and as a PTSD sufferer I'm up very easily in the night if there is a disturbance.

It could also be the case where they thought it was next door, when it might have been my dogs.

One of my dogs is elderly and for a few nights was crying cos she was in pain. But I wouldn't have let her cry on, I'd get up to check on her.

Otherwise I wouldn't be the type to leave them barking as I generally don't want any bother!

At this point all the council has done has advised me of the complaint, but also advised if it gets raised again I could be fined or have the dogs taken away. This cannot happen.

Any guidance or advice?

Any chance the dogs are barking while you are out?
There are various training techniques you can do to reduce barking (there are lots of videos about this on youtube), but if its when you are out of the house its difficult to stop completely. One thing I have heard that can work is for the neighbours to use a dog whistle whenever they start barking (once you have trained them to stop when they hear the whistle), sometimes even without the training the confusion of hearing the whistle but now knowing where it came from can stop the barking.

As for taking your dogs off you, that's more a threat to try and get you to take the complaint seriously, its pretty unlikely to happen unless you had an excessive amount of dogs. Fines however are a real possibility. If you go the training route it might be worth recording your sessions, so you can demonstrate to the council (or a court) that you are attempting to fix the issue, but might just need a little more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

TBF if will smith punches the queen into the jaw (as a symbol) and she dies that would definitely be very funny.

Welcome to Erf!