Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also Chris Rock is probably not even aware of Jada's condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

GI Jane reference is how you know it was Rock just riffing and not a written line.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yah.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

She loving sucks dude. And her movie was rear end too
She got robbed for cinematography and Power of Dog's only real competition should have been West Side Story and Drive My Car.

Also it was a fine burn.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The dog movie was terrible.

The slap was legit. Again white people will have difficulty understanding why the slap owned

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Guze posted:

GI Jane reference is how you know it was Rock just riffing and not a written line.

Oh no, there's like 6 different workshops and committees that joke has to go through and each one was filled with old white dudes who got that reference.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

The dog movie was terrible.

The slap was legit. Again white people will have difficulty understanding why the slap owned

I think it's quite racist to assume all black people (and other BIPOCS for that matter) would be in favor of violence over a joke. I'd like you to retract that comment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

this kid is nuts posted:

I think it's quite racist to assume all black people (and other BIPOCS for that matter) would be in favor of violence over a joke. I'd like you to retract that comment.

Are you white

Ain’t no way you just said other bipocs, 💀 bro who even says that

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Campion has hardly covered herself in glory during this awards season but Power of the Dog is a well-crafted movie (great to look at/listen to if nothing else). pretty happy it didn't win best picture though.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I'm waiting.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Crows Turn Off posted:

It was a tame joke and Smith clearly has thin skin and anger issues.

ah yes, the the tame joke about someone's medical condition. it's just a joke bro!!! u mad?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I’m also waiting

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I really liked TPOTD but i think best direction is probably fair. having said that i don't know why i'm even typing this because i literally don't give a poo poo about the oscar's. and now i typed that too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nawilo_420 posted:

ah yes, the the tame joke about someone's medical condition. it's just a joke bro!!! u mad?

He made a joke about a symptom that I'm not sure he is even aware is caused by anything.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh no, there's like 6 different workshops and committees that joke has to go through and each one was filled with old white dudes who got that reference.

G.I. Jane was on either TBS or AMC just this past weekend, so either way someone probably had it fresh in their mind.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

G.I. Jane was on either TBS or AMC just this past weekend, so either way someone probably had it fresh in their mind.

I fuckin know right. That's the spookiest thing about this whole kurfuffle, how did the universe know I was watching cable on Saturday?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Slap em all and let God sort em out

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Can you explain why it owned? The host always ribs on the guests since the dawn of time, and this joke was so tame and forgetful and irrelevant to anything going on. Nobody would have even remembered it 2 seconds later if Smith hadn't have made it a big deal. Now it's actually become a thing.

Why is Smith overreacting to a joke such a great thing? He just looks like a loser and a baby. And his reaction has made it into a story, like the opposite of his intent?

nawilo_420 posted:

LOL, yes, it was very tame. It's not even a joke about alopecia.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 28, 2022

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
The slap itself was a thing of beauty. However the assumption that violence is "just black culture" is deeply racist.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can you explain why it owned? The host always ribs on the guests since the dawn of time, and this joke was so tame and forgetful and irrelevant to anything going on. Nobody would have even remembered it 2 seconds later if Smith hadn't have made it a big deal. Now it's actually become a thing.

Why is Smith overreacting to a joke such a great thing? He just looks like a loser and a baby. And his reaction has made it into a story, like the opposite of his intent?

LOL, yes, it was very tame.

Because it was loving sick. Next question

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

The slap itself was a thing of beauty. However the assumption that violence is "just black culture" is deeply racist.

Will Smith is a black Gen Xer from Philadelphia - a slap as just being the purest form of insult/disrespect and not really seen as "assault" was definitely ingrained in me as a black Gen Xer from Detroit. I think that's what the poster is kind of referencing. It might have changed in later generations, which I can't speak too - but that's how it was shown to at least my circles growing up.

ie, and relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2P32-Urxo&t=101s

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

this kid is nuts posted:

Your framing is off. Upper-class white culture is very violent, it just manifests in more acceptable social forms that allows them to not get their hands dirty. Will Smith is definitely legendary for doing this on their stage.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Because it was loving sick. Next question
Ok thanks. :v:

KVeezy3 posted:

Your framing is off. Upper-class white culture is very violent, it just manifests in more acceptable social forms that allows one not to get their hands dirty. Will Smith is definitely legendary for doing this on their stage.
Seems like he can't control his emotions or handle any slight like an adult.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
A slap for all people is a regular sign of disrespect, definitely isn't just for black americans of a certain generation. Also Uncle Phil in that video is doing the universal parental cuff around the ear, def not specific to race either

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bad Boys 4 with Will and Chris, when?

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

KVeezy3 posted:

Your framing is off. Upper-class white culture is very violent, it just manifests in more acceptable social forms that allows them to not get their hands dirty. Will Smith is definitely legendary for doing this on their stage.

In this incident Will Smith is a rich person in an event designed for rich people to congratulate one another, slapping another rich person. Also there are no repercussions, because he's rich

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

In this incident Will Smith is a rich person in an event designed for rich people to congratulate one another, slapping another rich person. Also there are no repercussions, because he's rich

Most men don't get repercussions for slapping another man except maybe being punched back, unless they do it at work or something.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

this kid is nuts posted:

what kind of repercussions would you like to see for someone handing out a slap because someone else mocked their partners disease op?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
honestly how do these pearl clutching wet blankets survive in real life? have they ever been to a city?

also this seems like a specifically american kind of guy. does anyone have an image of this kind of guy? what should i picture here?

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 28, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Six months on a seaorg ship

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

nawilo_420 posted:

what kind of repercussions would you like to see for someone handing out a slap because someone else mocked their partners disease op?

The electric chair is the only reasonable option I can see.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

nawilo_420 posted:

honestly how do these pearl clutching wet blankets survive in real life? have they ever been to a city?

If we're talking Philly then Rock is lucky he didn't get shot on stage

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
The fact remains that regular schmos like you and I would get thrown out of an event for starting a physical altercation. Not Saint Will though, oh no. It was okay for him to do it because his feelings were hurt ;_;

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If we're talking Philly then Rock is lucky he didn't get shot on stage

About one month after I moved here a random dude punched me in the side of the head in center city. I yelled at him but he had already kind of rapidly staggered off and crossed the street. Never been slapped though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

this kid is nuts posted:

The fact remains that regular schmos like you and I would get thrown out of an event for starting a physical altercation. Not Saint Will though, oh no. It was okay for him to do it because his feelings were hurt ;_;

I’m sorry I’m the one you have to hear say this but you will never be as cool as Big Willie Style.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If Chris wanted/wants any retribution, he needed to act differently once he saw Will was on the warpath and after the slap. He didn't try to defuse or anything and was pretty bold in assuming that Will Smith of all people was going to play along with his joke after Jada's reaction. This is hilarious though, both these guys are pricks. This is the type of Oscars Discourse that I want from the internet.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Two of the guys at my job who are not well known (to me at least) for keeping their emotions in check are up in arms about Fresh Prints so I think I’ve gotta side with him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oscars 2022: The Back Hand of Bagger Vance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Has the two-time Oscar winning director Zack Snyder offered any comments on the slap?