Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Vitruvian Manic posted:

it wouldn't be out of place for a day to day ottoman Era assassination.

The fact that Aladdin has the same drat guards around when he marries Jasmine is proof the monkey/carpet/Genie did all the thinking for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not out yet but I was rewatching the trailer for Morbius and I saw something that I already have a problem with. Apparently in this film Morbius is played by Jared Leto

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I also hate that dude

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

It’s not out yet but I was rewatching the trailer for Morbius and I saw something that I already have a problem with. Apparently in this film Morbius is played by Jared Leto

Christ, just watch him getting smashed up by Edward Norton in Fight Club on repeat like the rest of us.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Christ, just watch him getting smashed up by Edward Norton in Fight Club on repeat like the rest of us.

You're doing it wrong if it's not at least in a 50/50 rotation with the American Psycho axe murder scene.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I never get why internet people hate Jared Leto so much. It's always related to his performance as the Joker, but he's been in so many other things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I never get why internet people hate Jared Leto so much. It's always related to his performance as the Joker, but he's been in so many other things.

He’s a hugely abusive massive sexcreeper, so there’s that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Have you noticed how people hate Robert Pattinson for being a bit of a weirdo and a teenage heartthrob? Now substract everything charming and goofy and replace it with self-importance and aloofness.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bussamove posted:

He’s a hugely abusive massive sexcreeper, so there’s that.

A famous person who’s a sex pest, whatever next.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

even as a kid I thought there was some poo poo going on in the palace if Jafar could get the loving guards to kidnap, chain up, and throw a visiting prince into water to drown. Like you would expect Aladdin to say something about that poo poo. It ain't a good sign if the guards, who weren't hypnotized and in fact seemed pretty loving happy, to kill a prince just because the creepy royal vizier said to.

That at least means that the guards don't listen to the Sultan or respect him. They do the man who signs their paychecks. Littlefinger was right.

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

Jafar is that weird mixture of totally lame and really loving rad that is extremely common in Disney villains. On the one hand, he is competent, dedicated and looks awesome. As mentioned above, he commands the guards and has to work around a manchild who barely seems potty trained.

On the other hand, he is a boomer and he is extremely vain and self-absorbed, which he kind of earned by always being the most competent and best-dressed guy in the room. The only thing I will hold against him is that he turns into a sex creep around Jasmine.

That's pretty much one of the oldest styles of Vaudevillains, literal moustache-twirlers that are charismatic, fun to watch and total slimeballs whose well-earned comeuppance is all the more satisfying to watch.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The fact that Aladdin has the same drat guards around when he marries Jasmine is proof the monkey/carpet/Genie did all the thinking for him.

You're not wrong. But that's most Disney protagonists really, their job is to be heroic and hot while the wacky sidekicks get to have personalities and make decisions.

I watched a lot of the Aladdin cartoon as a kid (the sequel where they finally actually get married is basically a series finale for it) and there's actually an interesting dynamic with the guards who REALLY don't like Aladdin but put up with him because Jasmine and the Sultan do.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hey as an internet person I've disliked him way before when he was the Joker.

Also his band sucks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

Also his band sucks.

He's a movie star with a band, that goes without saying. You don't get to pull that off unless your name is J. Lewis.

Oh, alright, I'll give you Zooey Deschanel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grendels Dad posted:

Have you noticed how people hate Robert Pattinson for being a bit of a weirdo and a teenage heartthrob? Now substract everything charming and goofy and replace it with self-importance and aloofness.

Pattinson kicks rear end

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jared Leto also insists on going through these dramatic physical transformations for roles that nobody loving remembers. Like when he spent six months eating olive oil and ice cream to play Mark David Chapman and this is probably the first time you've heard about it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jared Leto also insists on going through these dramatic physical transformations for roles that nobody loving remembers. Like when he spent six months eating olive oil and ice cream to play Mark David Chapman and this is probably the first time you've heard about it.
I'd heard about it because he gave himself gout for a film nobody watched :allears:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I was there for that time where he pretended to be into LA group bike rides for like 2 weeks and surrounded himself with the biggest dickheads in the scene, shot a music video together, then never rode a bike again

also he just has jim jones vibes

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would for sure try to ingratiate myself with Jared Leto he seems like he's the kind of guy who always has the best drugs.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Scar in The Lion King did nothing wrong

Ooh a queer-coded character sympathized with the oppressed minority (that actually outnumbered the 'majority' ten to one) and killed the tyrant who was keeping them down what a villain

Yes they ran out of food in a couple of years but what leftist revolution doesn't deal with supply chain issues

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My problems with Morbius:

1. Nobody loving knows who the gently caress that is unless you've read a lot of Spiderman comics. Most people....don't read comics. On top of that, there's very little traditional animated representation of this character (this is how normie millenials got into this poo poo btw, the Justice League cartoons and whatnot). So, it's kind of like someone made a superhero movie (and an even worse fate, an origin story superhero movie) about a character most people don't know about and then they:

2. Put Jarred Leto in it. Don't get me wrong, I thought Jared Leto was fine...in uh...Blade Runner? And American Psycho I guess. Thing is is that he still looks the character he was playing in loving Blade Runner and is acting in that exact same mannerism. I thought it was an interesting thing in Blade Runner - I don't care to see a movie with that same person playing that same character that's also a vampire, but let's not forget:

3. Jarred Leto is a loving creepy sexpest.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Only thing I know of Mobius is from the Spider-Man animated series, where they couldn't show him biting people or talking about blood, so instead he had weird suckers on his hands and he siphoned out plasma(?) from victims.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I thought it was weird when Jared leto looked straight into the camera and said “Being a sex pest cult leader and a poo poo front-man of a poo poo band is great”

And then he went MWAHAHA and did a cgi backflip.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
While I kinda agree, I think Disney has managed to pull a couple of rabbit like these out of the hat before. For example, let me fix this post as if it was from a few years ago.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

My problems with Guardians of the Galaxy:

1. Nobody loving knows who the gently caress those are unless you've read a lot of Marvel comics. Most people....don't read comics. On top of that, there's very little traditional animated representation of these characters (this is how normie millenials got into this poo poo btw, the Justice League cartoons and whatnot). So, it's kind of like someone made a superhero movie (and an even worse fate, an origin story superhero movie) about a bunch of characters most people don't know about and then they:

2. Put Chris Pratt in it. Don't get me wrong, I thought Chris Pratt was fine...in uh...Parks and Recs? And The Lego Movie I guess. Thing is is that he still is the character he was playing in loving Parks and Recs and is acting in that exact same mannerism. I don't care to see a movie with that same person playing that same character that's also a space pirate, but let's not forget:

3. Chris Pratt is a loving born again MAGA evangelical.
OK not everything tracks 100% (I had to remove the "looks exacly the same" part :v:) but I don't think having an unknown character being played by a non A-lister actor that always does the same shctick (and has made bad personal life choices) is automatically a no-go for Disney.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Mar 28, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Chris Pratt was just peaking when GotG came out, Leto's been a giant bundle of bad press for like 5ish years? If this had a more obvious Spider Man connection it might fare better but right now it's "that rear end in a top hat is playing a vampire and I guess it's a comic book movie?" GotG was not a movie sold on the backs of popular characters "talking angry raccoon" and "barely talking pleasant tree" it was "this is the new MCU movie and you're going to see it, Chris Pratt is in it and he's gonna be funny and look how ripped he got."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I really disliked Leto in Blade Runner. He felt so jarringly out of place tonally to the rest of the movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Chris Pratt was just peaking when GotG came out, Leto's been a giant bundle of bad press for like 5ish years? If this had a more obvious Spider Man connection it might fare better but right now it's "that rear end in a top hat is playing a vampire and I guess it's a comic book movie?" GotG was not a movie sold on the backs of popular characters "talking angry raccoon" and "barely talking pleasant tree" it was "this is the new MCU movie and you're going to see it, Chris Pratt is in it and he's gonna be funny and look how ripped he got."

He got ripped for Zero Dark Thirty first.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Scar in The Lion King did nothing wrong

Ooh a queer-coded character sympathized with the oppressed minority (that actually outnumbered the 'majority' ten to one) and killed the tyrant who was keeping them down what a villain

Yes they ran out of food in a couple of years but what leftist revolution doesn't deal with supply chain issues

Scar uses the hyenas just to gain power, he very clearly doesn't sympathize with them and then turn on them the moment it becomes inconvenient to be associated with them. He has an entire song about how the hyenas are dumb but useful. Scar is not a hyena ally.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Mar 28, 2022

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I was there for that time where he pretended to be into LA group bike rides for like 2 weeks and surrounded himself with the biggest dickheads in the scene, shot a music video together, then never rode a bike again

No! Noo!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bitterandtwisted posted:

I really disliked Leto in Blade Runner. He felt so jarringly out of place tonally to the rest of the movie.

I think I heard a rumor that they wrote the part with Bowie in mind.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Chris Pratt was just peaking when GotG came out
I mean...not really? Leto has been in a ton of high profile stuff (and ok, in some of it he was more "notorious" than "famous", but still) before this, way more than Pratt had been when he was casted as Starlord.

Parks and Recs and Lego Movie (that came out a few months before GotG) are the only things I remember him from (aside from ZDT, and that was decidedly off character compared to whatever came before and after.

You could say that no one expected GotG to blow up as hard as it did, but in a post GotG world I'm not going to base my expectations on just the fact that a character is unknown; and in a post Thor Ragnarock world I'm not going to unequivocally say that an apparently off the left field choice (Waititi) is going to work out poorly.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Mar 28, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alhazred posted:

Scar uses the hyenas just to gain power, he very clearly doesn't sympathize with them and then turn on them the moment it becomes inconvenient to be associated with them. He has an entire song about how the hyenas are dumb but useful. Scar is not a hyena ally.

An authoritarian co-opting marginalized groups and not at all interested in governing better or at all once at the top of the hierarchy. Hate to see it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I heard a rumor that they wrote the part with Bowie in mind.

That would have been SO much better.
Or even Sting.

They both have acting chops leagues above Leeto.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pattinson kicks rear end

:hmmyes:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jared Leto is an Oscar-winning actor with a huge base of obsessive fans. Did someone really suggest he's not an A-lister?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean...not really? Leto has been in a ton of high profile stuff (and ok, in some of it he was more "notorious" than "famous", but still) before this, way more than Pratt had been when he was casted as Starlord.

Parks and Recs and Lego Movie (that came out a few months before GotG) are the only things I remember him from (aside from ZDT, and that was decidedly off character compared to whatever came before and after.

You could say that no one expected GotG to blow up as hard as it did, but in a post GotG world I'm not going to base my expectations on just the fact that a character is unknown; and in a post Thor Ragnarock world I'm not going to unequivocally say that an apparently off the left field choice (Waititi) is going to work out poorly.

Pratt was a popular actor on a popular show (averaging about 3 million viewers at broadcast around that time) whose star was rising, "peaking" doesn't mean he had a history if success it means he was approaching the zenith of his popularly and buzz, which would cap the next year with Jurassic World. He was an up-and-coming seemingly likable guy in (and this is the important part) the next big MCU movie.

Leto had his critical peak with what? Lincoln Lawyer? That was over a decade ago and the decade has been mostly filled with bad press, stories of him sleeping with underage fans, sexually harassing his costars, and leading a cult along with some big commercial bombs and critical lashings. This isn't promising to be a fun, colorful, action extravaganza that you'll need to see to understand the next big movie starring a well-liked actor.

Pratt's had a lot of bad press over the last few years and a couple bombs in there too, I don't think the Chris Pratt of today would lead a drab Kraven The Hunter or Swarm or whichever third-rate spidey villain movie today. The thing is none of those bombs or revelations about his lovely church or his lack of support towards coworkers were stories in 2014, and a third-rate spidey villain movie in 2022 that is seemingly unconnected to the well-liked franchise is NOT going to do the business of an MCU movie in 2014.

edit yes I know venom 1 did better at the box office than guardians 1, morbius ain't no venom

edit2 got Lincoln Lawyer confused with Dallas Buyers Club lol

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Mar 28, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pratt was a popular actor on a popular show (averaging about 3 million viewers at broadcast around that time) whose star was rising, "peaking" doesn't mean he had a history if success it means he was approaching the zenith of his popularly and buzz, which would cap the next year with Jurassic World. He was an up-and-coming seemingly likable guy in (and this is the important part) the next big MCU movie.

Leto had his critical peak with what? Lincoln Lawyer? That was over a decade ago and the decade has been mostly filled with bad press, stories of him sleeping with underage fans, sexually harassing his costars, and leading a cult along with some big commercial bombs and critical lashings. This isn't promising to be a fun, colorful, action extravaganza that you'll need to see to understand the next big movie starring a well-liked actor.

Pratt's had a lot of bad press over the last few years and a couple bombs in there too, I don't think the Chris Pratt of today would lead a drab Kraven The Hunter or Swarm or whichever third-rate spidey villain movie today. The thing is none of those bombs or revelations about his lovely church or his lack of support towards coworkers were stories in 2014, and a third-rate spidey villain movie in 2022 that is seemingly unconnected to the well-liked franchise is NOT going to do the business of an MCU movie in 2014.

edit yes I know venom 1 did better at the box office than guardians 1, morbius ain't no venom

edit2 got Lincoln Lawyer confused with Dallas Buyers Club lol

Where do you stand on Blade as an origin movie about a lesser known comic book character? Or Deadpool? Or Hellboy? I mean, theres every chance that Morbius could flop, but I think it'll be more about if the movie is any good than it being because its an origin movie of a lesser known character and that you personally dont like the lead.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think Blade did well because it was a comic book movie, I think it did well because it was a fun-looking action movie starring Wesley Snipes. Deadpool has more cultural relevance than Morbius and Ryan Reynolds remains well-liked by audiences despite all the Green Lanterns in the world. Hellboy 2004 was a modest success but wasn't huge, and Hellboy 2019 was a bomb.

I'm not saying that Morbius is going to bomb, it'll probably do okay, but I think it's off the mark to compare it to Guardians just because they're both about relatively obscure comic book characters.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think Blade did well because it was a comic book movie, I think it did well because it was a fun-looking action movie starring Wesley Snipes.

It also helped that it was really loving good. IIRC, it was very much one of those word of mouth type of movies that caught on. Obviously Snipes' name being attached to it helped at the time but I don't recall that there were tremendously high expectations for it

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think Blade did well because it was a comic book movie, I think it did well because it was a fun-looking action movie starring Wesley Snipes. Deadpool has more cultural relevance than Morbius and Ryan Reynolds remains well-liked by audiences despite all the Green Lanterns in the world. Hellboy 2004 was a modest success but wasn't huge, and Hellboy 2019 was a bomb.

I'm not saying that Morbius is going to bomb, it'll probably do okay, but I think it's off the mark to compare it to Guardians just because they're both about relatively obscure comic book characters.

So basically it's prospects have nothing to do with it being an origin movie of a middling-obscure character, which is what the original poster was saying? Hellboy 2004 is obviously the one I'm comparing it to because it was the origin movie of an obscure character (and it did well enough to get a bigger budget sequel), I'll give you Deadpool isnt necessarily a fair comparison because Ryan Reynolds has charisma for days, but he (was, not any more) a pretty obscure character.

Personally I couldnt pick Jared Leto out of a line up, but I reckon the Morbius movie will probably do fine, although underperform Sonys expectations (because I reckon they have extremely unrealistic "second lynchpin of our spiderverse" type expecations of it.

BiggerBoat posted:

It also helped that it was really loving good. IIRC, it was very much one of those word of mouth type of movies that caught on. Obviously Snipes' name being attached to it helped at the time but I don't recall that there were tremendously high expectations for it

Vanishingly low expectations IIRC, it came out in 1998 when there had been essentially no good comic book adaptations that werent a batman or superman (and some bad adaptations of both of those), or at least no good marvel/dc ones (I'm sure there are some that most people at the time didnt realise were based off a comic, like your men in black and whatnot). Snipes was a solid name (and great for the part!) but not exactly a box office guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love the 70s Marvel Dracula comics. They're fun. It's mostly just Dracula being an rear end in a top hat and butting heads with someone whose a bigger rear end in a top hat than him also sometimes Blade.

And almost every single issue there's a few panels where some random civilian is introduced and we get their full name and a glimpse into their background and/or whatever is going on in their life at that moment and then Dracula shows up and murders them.