Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Those look awesome, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

zachol posted:

Also it seems like the price must have a lot to do with how uncommon the panels are? Like the whole issue comes down to "nobody makes 5k 27" monitors" and that sort of leads to "there isn't much demand for the panels themselves" and then "so nobody's bothered developing processes for making them efficiently."

Yes, and it's not even that they don't have the processes. Those are a known quantity. Low volume is just always less efficient than high volume. Takes time and money to switch production lines over to make a short run of something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Riven posted:

I really miss that small 4k one. Nobody even makes a 1440 24” monitor. But I don’t $700 miss it.

Dell makes a 25" 1440p UltraSharp that is pretty good.
Probably my favourite monitor (100% scaling lyfe)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of alternative pretty displays aimed, at least partially, at Mac users:

The incoming Samsung M8 monitors+cameras are available for preorder today, and seem like a solid and interesting option.

~$700, 32” at 4K/60Hz, so you definitely lose out on PPI and perceived sharpness but you gain a big canvas for blowing stuff like text up. 99% sRGB, HDR10+ , Ultra wide mode (21:9 mode), but only 400nit Max brightness.

USB-C, 65w power delivery (ugh, I’d want at least 90), HDMI, magnetically-attached included webcam that can be easily removed and repositioned (face tracking and auto-zoom functions presumably only on Windows and/or Tizen), ergonomic aluminum base + four available body colors that clearly ape/are designed to fit with Apple’s current design language.

WiFi, streaming/TVoIP functionality and apps (basically whatever’s available on Samsung TVs, so not bad if you care about this but also meh. Interesting that they’ve been marketing this heavily as an AppleTV+ box), Alexa + Google Assistant + Bixby (eww) and smart home hub functionality (eww), Bluetooth 4.2, runs Tizen and will let you do stuff like browse/connect to Microsoft 365 without an attached computer which could be convenient, some native remote-access feature for Windows/MacOS,

:siren:AirPlay 2:siren:—connect to your Mac or iOS device wirelessly if desired (I wish more displays could do this! I wish Apple’s display could do this!)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 28, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

LionArcher posted:

shut the gently caress up

Wow those sure were some posts.

I have a lenovo mini PC that's attached to my TV along with an Apple TV. The PC can technically do 4k/60 but generally struggles and it's currently running at 1080/60.

How would a mac mini be as a HTPC? Use case is playing movies which are generally either downloaded or rarely streamed. Also streamed music off Tidal or Eurosport or Youtubes. I appreciate those are possible off the Apple TV but the interface sucks.

I'm guessing it will cope with the resolution just fine. I haven't had a mac before, any other issues?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

knox_harrington posted:

I have a lenovo mini PC that's attached to my TV along with an Apple TV. The PC can technically do 4k/60 but generally struggles and it's currently running at 1080/60.

How would a mac mini be as a HTPC? Use case is playing movies which are generally either downloaded or rarely streamed. Also streamed music off Tidal or Eurosport or Youtubes. I appreciate those are possible off the Apple TV but the interface sucks.

I'm guessing it will cope with the resolution just fine. I haven't had a mac before, any other issues?

i mean it's way over what you need for an htpc but it's easy, small, quiet, so i get the appeal. i find the apple tv interface fine (with the notable exception of the terrible youtube app), but i get some people may not. i'd get the magic keyboard and trackpad to go with it even though it might be overkill, and buy or build a little frame to stick them together for lap use

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Mac Minis make great HTPCs.

Depending on whether you want to run any games you’ll run into various levels of limitation (“is the game available for mac? is it a ROM that will run easily on a Mac emulator?”), hacks/workarounds (Wine/CrossOver, etc—nobody is spending $500+ on a license for this for their Mac Mini HTPC unless they’re really stupid), and impossibility (DirectX12)

Other than that they’re aces and will probably last you forever if all you’re doing is streaming, browsing, and playback.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i'd get the magic keyboard and trackpad to go with it even though it might be overkill, and buy or build a little frame to stick them together for lap use

Super don’t do this.

Logitech makes a bunch of HTPC deck-style keyboard/trackpad combo units that all work great with Mac. Some are like $25

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
When my Mac arrives, what is the most painless way to migrate all my browser bookmarks from edge on my PC to Safari on my Mac?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

When my Mac arrives, what is the most painless way to migrate all my browser bookmarks from edge on my PC to Safari on my Mac?

whatever the built in migration features for edge/Safari are, I would think.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Super don’t do this.

Logitech makes a bunch of HTPC deck-style keyboard/trackpad combo units that all work great with Mac. Some are like $25

matter of opinion. i agree the magic keyboard is totally unnecessary but nothing is as good as apple's trackpad (you could buy a used one even). i like having a mouse (not the lovely apple mouse) on a desktop but i would like to be able to use the good trackpad on an htpc personally

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

matter of opinion. i agree the magic keyboard is totally unnecessary but nothing is as good as apple's trackpad (you could buy a used one even). i like having a mouse (not the lovely apple mouse) on a desktop but i would like to be able to use the good trackpad on an htpc personally

agreed, but unless you’re planning to do a ton of browsing from your living room Mac (which you totally might be, tbf—in which case I’d recommend an inexpensive lap desk) I don’t know that expensive desktop peripherals designed for tabletop use beat something light/rigid designed to be tossed on a couch.

Like if all I’m doing is punching in addresses and queuing up movies or music or whatever, I do think that the Logitech options are more comfortable for that, especially bc you can just grab the deck and toss it back like it were a big remote control.

Also, big no at having to deal (exclusively) with separate keyboard + trackpad to do HTPC stuff. Gotta grab one off the table and dig the other out of the couch cushions or whatever whenever you want to switch content...no thanks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

agreed, but unless you’re planning to do a ton of browsing from your living room Mac (which you totally might be, tbf—in which case I’d recommend an inexpensive lap desk) I don’t know that expensive desktop peripherals designed for tabletop use beat something light/rigid designed to be tossed on a couch.

Like if all I’m doing is punching in addresses and queuing up movies or music or whatever, I do think that the Logitech options are more comfortable for that, especially bc you can just grab the deck and toss it back like it were a big remote control.

Also, big no at having to deal (exclusively) with separate keyboard + trackpad to do HTPC stuff. Gotta grab one off the table and dig the other out of the couch cushions or whatever whenever you want to switch content...no thanks.

to be fair, it was why i suggested the pair because you can match them up in an accessory to make them one unit. it is absolutely an overpriced solution, though.

i wouldn't be doing a ton of browsing (ofc, not op) but using a mac versus a small dedicated alternative means i personally would want the gesture support, etc. op probably doesn't care since they don't use macs in other situations, though.

for the record, i use this for couch pc control, but the trackpad is decidedly mediocre (everything else about it is excellent):

i definitely recommend getting a keyboard that's backlit if you're going to be using it in a home theatre situation (i’m aware the magic keyboard isn’t backlit, i just think the trackpad is so good it’s a worthwhile consideration)

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

i definitely recommend getting a keyboard that's backlit if you're going to be using it in a home theatre situation
If you have a source on where I can get a Logitech K830 (which I think is what you have?) then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They stopped making them a year or two ago for unknown reasons, and the only other backlit combi keyboard+trackpad units I can find are extremely ugly and by extremely questionable brands.

E: poo poo like this 🤮

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 28, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that touchpad gives me huge amounts of anxiety

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

that touchpad gives me huge amounts of anxiety

Which one though?

Also, there's the K600 nowadays, which looks to do a lot of what the K830 did: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k600-smart-tv-d-pad.920-008822.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TACD posted:

If you have a source on where I can get a Logitech K830 (which I think is what you have?) then I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They stopped making them a year or two ago for unknown reasons, and the only other backlit combi keyboard+trackpad units I can find are extremely ugly and by extremely questionable brands.

They’re still in production (or will be soon), but stock is currently sold out. Logitech is taking emails and will notify when available again.

If you can get by without backlighting, the K400 (meh but cheap) and K600 (better, newer design, still no backlight) are available

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

E: poo poo like this 🤮

yeah i noticed that and it made me wonder why, like whether there was a supply chain issue - because unlike a lot of their discontinued products this one still gets listed as a temporary issue on their website

there’s also this grotesquerie lol

but if you want something basic with no lighting they do still make the k400 plus for $30 canadian

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

They’re still in production (or will be soon), but stock is currently sold out. Logitech is taking emails and will notify when available again.

If you can get by without backlighting, the K400 (meh but cheap) and K600 (better, newer design, still no backlight) are available
Well that’s good news. Yeah I have a K400+ at the moment, it seems to be the only reasonable non-fugly model available (the K600 is unspeakably gross, sorry)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of alternative pretty displays aimed, at least partially, at Mac users:

The incoming Samsung M8 monitors+cameras are available for preorder today, and seem like a solid and interesting option.

~$700, 32” at 4K/60Hz, so you definitely lose out on PPI and perceived sharpness but you gain a big canvas for blowing stuff like text up. 99% sRGB, HDR10+ , Ultra wide mode (21:9 mode), but only 400nit Max brightness.

USB-C, 65w power delivery (ugh, I’d want at least 90), HDMI, magnetically-attached included webcam that can be easily removed and repositioned (face tracking and auto-zoom functions presumably only on Windows and/or Tizen), ergonomic aluminum base + four available body colors that clearly ape/are designed to fit with Apple’s current design language.

WiFi, streaming/TVoIP functionality and apps (basically whatever’s available on Samsung TVs, so not bad if you care about this but also meh. Interesting that they’ve been marketing this heavily as an AppleTV+ box), Alexa + Google Assistant + Bixby (eww) and smart home hub functionality (eww), Bluetooth 4.2, runs Tizen and will let you do stuff like browse/connect to Microsoft 365 without an attached computer which could be convenient, some native remote-access feature for Windows/MacOS,

:siren:AirPlay 2:siren:—connect to your Mac or iOS device wirelessly if desired (I wish more displays could do this! I wish Apple’s display could do this!)

Those monitor photos invoked visions of the eOne, so thanks for that!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Lord Bude posted:

Check this out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

You can download a Windows Migration Assistant on the PC side for the appropriate macOS revision on your Mac (it will likely be Monterey)
and according to the page, you get to select the types of data that can be ported over, including:

Apple posted: