Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure I read Baker talking about adjustments he makes when running this at cons, so no, I don't think it was originally designed around that format.

Edit: Found it, it's in this Q&A session he did a while back, starts at "Back when I used to run a lot of Apocalypse World con games".

Thank you for doing the legwork to find stuff I half remembered! Looks like my memory of this creeped somewhat to exaggerate how con-focused AW was initially - which doesn't surprise me because running an RPG at a con is so alien to me that anything that suits that is going to get more and more exaggerated in my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well I think the central point still stands that AW lends itself to convention or one-shot play without limiting itself. The way it codifies good GMing probably also creates a better experience and helped it catch on.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I was having this conversation somewhere else the other day, and I feel like the key innovation with the GM stuff in Apocalypse World was the way it was presented as rules instead of guidelines.

Not 'try to keep presenting your players with things that demand action', but a concrete list of things you are allowed to do, each of which demands action.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

potatocubed posted:

I was having this conversation somewhere else the other day, and I feel like the key innovation with the GM stuff in Apocalypse World was the way it was presented as rules instead of guidelines.

Not 'try to keep presenting your players with things that demand action', but a concrete list of things you are allowed to do, each of which demands action.

I think that's a bit of a syntactic option. The list is concrete, but the options are not. Because a GM has to deal with any number of shifting circumstances, they couldn't be.

And there's the issue of the applicability of the options that results in the Bear World complaint.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Bear World is solved because the rules of the game exist within the rules of social interaction that govern people playing games together.

Like, in a trad game the GM has Ultimate Power within the game -- but if they want to continue running a game and/or having friends, they have to use this power responsibly. Likewise, the players are supposed to be engaging with the game in good faith, maintaining a certain level of buy-in, and so on, but that's a social expectation placed on them rather than part of the game text. This is why you can solve in-game problems with out-of-game conversations, but you can't solve out-of-game problems with in-game fixes.

The fact that so many people have horror stories suggests that, historically, something has gone disastrously wrong with this model. Or maybe that I'm wrong about everything.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

(back in Dogs chat)

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have to agree, as well as where it doesn't link mechanics to the fiction - anything outside of "interpersonal conflict, whether verbal or physical" is pretty much up in the air. Arbitrate it however, the mechanics only really work if you have sentient opposition that you have some interest in not immediately escalating with though, and there's no support for anything else. Main disappointment out of the system for adapting it to something broader. Baker's Star Wars version is supposed to fix that, but I'm still waiting on him to actually give me the access to his Patreon drafts that I already paid for before I can even see how it's managed.

I think there's something valuable in Vincent's guidance on this. The idea that a mountain, or a storm, or a natural disaster is only interesting if you can frame it as an adversary closes the door on a lot of tedious activity. I agree with SkyeAurolinev that it's just not sufficient for general purpose games. One wants a simpler way to adjudicate minor obstacles.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

potatocubed posted:

The fact that so many people have horror stories suggests that, historically, something has gone disastrously wrong with this model. Or maybe that I'm wrong about everything.

"Your escapist fantasy does not match my escapist fantasy"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This reminds me that I really need to get around to actually reading AW cover to cover.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This reminds me that I really need to get around to actually reading AW cover to cover.
Strong agree. Or at least the GM zone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't agree with everything in its GM section as being the best approach, but it's very much worth reading and learning from. The threat map & threat types in particular are something I've imported to other games and used to great effect (and, on thinking about it, are probably something I should use for this project too).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Presumably you'd also want to avoid the CCG aspect of it. Maybe more in the deckbuilding genre?

all Slay the Spire would need to function as an RPG would be slightly more sophisticated narrative prompts in ? rooms, maybe a little more interaction between story events and what's in your deck. i steal the abstract dungeon navigation part of the game for TTRPG stuff all the time as it is

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What RPG ruleset would be best for playing a Jane Austen game?

"Good Society"? What's that? Oh, some weird indie game? But learning new rules is hard! I guess what I meant was, I want Jane Austen in D&D.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I would be really interested to know what their excuse for shutting down magic is.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The adventure is designed as a level 3 adventure, but the book includes scalable encounters so that the adventure can be played by all characters of level 1-20.

https://youtu.be/rIidf0flMvc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all Slay the Spire would need to function as an RPG would be slightly more sophisticated narrative prompts in ? rooms, maybe a little more interaction between story events and what's in your deck. i steal the abstract dungeon navigation part of the game for TTRPG stuff all the time as it is
Have you played griftlands?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is there any cyberpunk RPG that isn't a bloated clunky mess of subsystems?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The adventure is designed as a level 3 adventure, but the book includes scalable encounters so that the adventure can be played by all characters of level 1-20.

https://youtu.be/rIidf0flMvc

Pride & Prejudice & Tanks

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What RPG ruleset would be best for playing a Jane Austen game?

"Good Society"? What's that? Oh, some weird indie game? But learning new rules is hard! I guess what I meant was, I want Jane Austen in D&D.

We finally have proof that Wickham is a cad : he did a level dip into Rogue.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

ZearothK posted:

People seem to really like Hard Wire Island, dunno about the subsystems.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I hear TechNoir is good also.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

hyphz posted:

I would be really interested to know what their excuse for shutting down magic is.
I just want to add that I thought this was a joke, of course they're doing that because they're using 5e for a pride and prejudice game, it'll use the basic mechanics sure, but then I clicked the link and it was all about elves?

I do not wish to know more about the Laws and Customs of the Eldar.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Card Hunter, but in paper, basically?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ZearothK posted:

Hard Wired Island is the only one I can think of that actually gets cyberpunk as a genre and happens to be a good game on top of it. PbtA with some variations from the standard format that, mostly, I like.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ZearothK posted:

CBR+PNK, by virtue of being two pages long. :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I haven't played Technoir myself but I liked the F&F. It seems designed for actually replicating a cyberpunk novel, rather than the Cyberpunk/Shadowrun model of playing mercenaries in a cyberpunk pastiche setting.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Remember Tomorrow is a simple GMless cyberpunk game where the PCs attempt to reach a goal of theirs and you also create Factions that get in the way. There’s some lists of gear, but it’s really just for descriptive purposes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Metropole Luxury Coffin

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ZearothK posted:

But that's part of Cyberpunk's thing!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

But that's part of Cyberpunk's thing!

When you think about it, humans are a bloated clunky mess of subsystems already, before you start adding cyberpunky mods

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

World of Horror and Ghostwire Tokyo got me wondering about finding a good j-horror ttrpg. I already bothered a bunch of discords but maybe here will give me mroe suggestions.

There's the usual WoD but in japan, with all that entails. There's a Secrets of Japan CoC book I can't find. There's a french game called Kuro. What else is there out there?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

World of Horror and Ghostwire Tokyo got me wondering about finding a good j-horror ttrpg. I already bothered a bunch of discords but maybe here will give me mroe suggestions.

There's the usual WoD but in japan, with all that entails. There's a Secrets of Japan CoC book I can't find. There's a french game called Kuro. What else is there out there?
Have you tried Kaidan the Japanese horror pathfinder setting now available on major distributors

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kuro sucks, it's trying to be both J-Horror and Cyberpunk and understands neither well because it's basically a game meant to be part of a series with metaplot to ease into the players becoming powered by kami and spirits in a followup game of a localized apocalypse trapped on Japan by way of Scion for resistance and world-saving.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What combat systems would you name that aren't grid-based, but that have what you'd call good movement systems?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hostile V posted:

Kuro sucks, it's trying to be both J-Horror and Cyberpunk and understands neither well because it's basically a game meant to be part of a series with metaplot to ease into the players becoming powered by kami and spirits in a followup game of a localized apocalypse trapped on Japan by way of Scion for resistance and world-saving.

Oh wow. I kinda liked Qin by the same guys, although it had the same problem of metaplot (in this case railroading Qin Shi Huangdi to victory).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rand Brittain posted:

What combat systems would you name that aren't grid-based, but that have what you'd call good movement systems?
FFG funny dice

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh wow. I kinda liked Qin by the same guys, although it had the same problem of metaplot (in this case railroading Qin Shi Huangdi to victory).
Legit as time has gone on I think the good way to do Kuro's premise would be in a Gumshoe game, probably Fear Itself. The initial elevator pitch of "Japan has been isolated due to blockades and sanctions after an international nuclear incident caused by China was somehow bloodlessly resolved by the nuke meant to hit Japan disappearing and six months after isolation things have been weird and the country is fraying at the seams" would just fare better if the PCs were more normal people and it leaned way more into the J-Horror with the presence of Kuro's future tech being something familiar but very prone to being twisted.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Arivia posted:

Have you tried Kaidan the Japanese horror pathfinder setting now available on major distributors

Thats a blast from the past

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Thats a blast from the past

Thank you I was worried everyone had forgotten and someone would take it seriously

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Siivola posted:

CBR+PNK, by virtue of being two pages long. :v:

Kickstarter for a gorgeous physical edition from the same people who published Wildsea:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythopoeia/cbr-pnk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chris Field's Black Tokyo.