Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

To be frank the fact that they don't have literally every comic they've ever published that wouldn't have rights issues up on there is an absolute joke considering the service has been around for about a decade now

I've heard the digital versions on Unlimited usually get made when they are digitally recolored for new print collections. So if it's not on Unlimited, it's usually because they haven't collected them again yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchwraith posted:

I've heard the digital versions on Unlimited usually get made when they are digitally recolored for new print collections. So if it's not on Unlimited, it's usually because they haven't collected them again yet.

It's funny because they were doing random chunks of things like clockwork for ages, then they just stopped. I guess if they keep updating the new stuff like they've been every six months nobody's going to care much if they never get around to all of Power Pack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

glitchwraith posted:

Which is dumb for multiple reasons, not least of which is that their recoloring efforts are almost always terrible compared to the original colors

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dawgstar posted:

It's funny because they were doing random chunks of things like clockwork for ages, then they just stopped. I guess if they keep updating the new stuff like they've been every six months nobody's going to care much if they never get around to all of Power Pack.

For a while up through the beginning of the pandemic, they were putting so much deep-dive stuff up every Thursday. You’d open the app and suddenly for no reason there’s Marvel Chillers starring Tigra! Or a bunch of 50s horror comics! Or golden age Boy Commandos! It stopped about a year ago and it’s mind boggling.

I still can’t believe they haven’t put up a ton of Web of and Spectacular Spider-Man yet.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I got three free months of Unlimited from Game Pass so I'm looking at it for the first time in at least five years and I think they've got the same 36 issues of Alpha Flight they had up in the late Obama administration (1-20 and then 16 basically random pulls from the remainder of the run). gotta figure if they haven't filled those holes yet they're staying unfilled.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Did anybody read The Mystery of Ultraseven? How was it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It hasn't even been solicited yet, so I'm going out on a limb that no one has read it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

It hasn't even been solicited yet, so I'm going out on a limb that no one has read it.

It was announced in the last issue of Trials of Ultraman, which ended on a cliffhanger setting up ultraseven. What's the hold up?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Probably that you're the only person who read the first mini and they canned it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

Probably that you're the only person who read the first mini and they canned it

Trials of Ultraman was the second Marvel Ultraman miniseries, following immediately after Rise of Ultraman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

Which is dumb for multiple reasons, not least of which is that their recoloring efforts are almost always terrible compared to the original colors

Everyone who hasn't read it should still read it because it's great comics, but oh my god does the Walt Simonson run on Thor look so much worse on Unlimited than the original coloring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe an editor read it and Gripweed's posts about hating Ultraman comics and decided it needed more time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

During the last mini my store went from stocking two copies to zero, and I think that was a pretty typical experience.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As for sales....

Trials of Ultraman #5 10,508

So yeah, I'm guessing this isn't a priority for Marvel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If an editor has stepped in and said "no, we aren't going to publish this until you figure out how to make it good" then that's a good sign. But after two series that have pretty well convinced Ultraman fans that Marvel Ultraman is godawful and not Ultraman, and offered absolutely nothing to readers unfamiliar with Ultraman, it's hard to see how they could repair the damage at this point. Even if Trials of Ultraseven eventually comes out and is better than the Ultraman series, it's still tied to them and the terrible plot and worldbuilding decisions made in them.

A clean break with a brand new setting and a new Ultraman might be their only hope of salvaging this collaboration.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have just gotten off the phone with Marvel and they are redoing it to be that and it will come out on your birthday.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i know there's a ton of crossover in posters between this thread and the action figures thread but for anyone who missed it

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The conversation in this thread a while back about the infamous McFarlane/Gaiman legal dispute over Angela...

Nerd of Prey is sharing a lot of interesting info about the weird legal issues around Angela; the quote i put in this post will take you there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How Wonderful! posted:

I have just gotten off the phone with Marvel and they are redoing it to be that and it will come out on your birthday.

If it's a new Ultraman then even if the comic is cancelled that Ultraman will get a fun cameo in a movie or something. The current Marvel Ultraman will simply sink into nothingness without a ripple, and never be thought of again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

If it's a new Ultraman then even if the comic is cancelled that Ultraman will get a fun cameo in a movie or something. The current Marvel Ultraman will simply sink into nothingness without a ripple, and never be thought of again.

Ultraman won't appear in a movie. Their license is specifically for comic books, and given the issues Marvel/Disney have had with licensing their own characters, I'd be very shocked if they want to go to the trouble of licensing someone else's characters, unless they buy it outright.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gripweed posted:

Much like the Harvey Comics version

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Ultraman won't appear in a movie. Their license is specifically for comic books, and given the issues Marvel/Disney have had with licensing their own characters, I'd be very shocked if they want to go to the trouble of licensing someone else's characters, unless they buy it outright.

No I mean a real Ultraman movie, the movies the Ultraman people make about Ultraman.

edit: like this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/PenguinUKBooks/status/1508760891919003650?t=OfbtXvymOOJfQ7gg9_HiCw&s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

More people should read Panther's Rage, which is collected in full here, so that's awesome.

Why would someone buy this Spider-Man collection and not the Masterworks or Omnibus or some other similar collection? Not trying to be a downer, I just honestly wonder what the difference is here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lobok posted:

More people should read Panther's Rage, which is collected in full here, so that's awesome.

Why would someone buy this Spider-Man collection and not the Masterworks or Omnibus or some other similar collection? Not trying to be a downer, I just honestly wonder what the difference is here.

it's a new thing, it looks fancy, it'll fit on your shelf nicely with the other Penguin Marvel Collections

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lobok posted:

my read is that it's packaged to create a prestige look to the comics to sell them somewhere it'd look tacky to have a Spider-Man book and it also states that comics are part of middle to highbrow culture, legitimizing them by lending the same cover format as something like War and Peace or The Grapes of Wrath. it's probably just a coincidence that penguin is trying to state that comics are serious literature now that they're in that business

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lobok posted:

Penguin Classics have, for a long time now, been regarded as the publishing imprint for Classics Of The Western Canon; hell, the very first Penguin Classic was a translation of The Odyssey. The blush is off of that rose a bit in more recent years, since the imprint has been broadened a bit too much (poo poo, they published Morrisey's autobiography for some dumbass reason), but there's still a good deal of cultural cachet to the name Penguin Classics. Hell, back in the day, owning a full collection of Penguin Classics was considered the hallmark of an impressive personal library.

So, basically, it's not meant to appeal to comics fans; it's more about making a statement that look, comics have been an important part of Western culture and these are some of the most important ones. That's my read on it, anyways.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Marvel Masterworks have the corniest looking "fancy" trade dress possible, tend to have a lower page count, and cost more (until they get blown out at like twelve bucks), so bring on the Penguin Classics for me, honestly

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
fwiw, penguin has been good at broadening the canon to include works such as The Hanging at Union Square, Romance in Marseille, Cane and dozens of others by non-white authors but this just seems like a marketing decision

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cloks posted:

fwiw, penguin has been good at broadening the canon to include works such as The Hanging at Union Square, Romance in Marseille, Cane and dozens of others by non-white authors but this just seems like a marketing decision

Yeah in the past 10-20 years they have published a TON of good international and stuff and really broken loose of the old reputation of being one of several Harold Bloom Presents: clubs. They're also a force to contend with in terms of cranking out solid new translations of many things. I lean on some of their more recent anthologies a lot in classes, esp. The Stonewall Reader and The Portable Nineteenth-Century African-American Women Writers both of which include tons and tons of stuff which would be either impossible or very expensive to have in print otherwise.

That being said I don't think I NEED them to be doing comics and I guess it remains to be seen if this line has legs. NYRB Comics is doing ok and has been knocking it out of the park though so I'll keep an open mind. Maybe if they reprint something a little more obscure than Amazing Spider-Man which I could go into any suburban Barnes & Noble and find like four different editions of.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Those editions looks really nice, and I'm glad to see that they're not numbered like those weekly collections that Hachette puts out. It ensures my shelves won't look weird if I only purchase a couple of these.

I'm definitely eyeing that Black Panther hardcover. :retrogames:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

lmao i can’t believe i thought Beyond was gonna be good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had never read the first Moon Knight story until just now on unlimited. Man what a wild story. It’s like Noir with just a dash of Saturday morning cartoon in it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I read the original Doug Moench / Bill Sienkiewicz run last year and as long as you're up for a little bit of pulpiness it's great. That first issue absolutely moves as well

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Party Boat posted:

I read the original Doug Moench / Bill Sienkiewicz run last year and as long as you're up for a little bit of pulpiness it's great. That first issue absolutely moves as well

That Sienkiewicz art

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
that sienkiewicz fella really knows his way around a panel

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm going to repost the splash page from issue... 6? that made me say "holy poo poo" as well

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poo poo, i want a winged skull decoration for my roof.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I really wanted to like Beyond... and I did up until this issue. Really, really hated it. Ben deserves a win.

On the other Spider-Hand, Spider-Woman's finale was lovely. I know no one was reading it, but I loved this whole series and the last issue is worth it. Great run on Jessica.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1509648996737896453?s=20&t=jsFCZT7nuqbJV4aukkYolQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I really wanted to like Beyond... and I did up until this issue. Really, really hated it. Ben deserves a win.

On the other Spider-Hand, Spider-Woman's finale was lovely. I know no one was reading it, but I loved this whole series and the last issue is worth it. Great run on Jessica.

This whole run was super fun. I just want the Anka costume design back. That's my only note for the series.