Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DHS/HHS plan to "review" the use of Title 42 at the border on March 30th and potentially end it sometime in April.

Kelly is joining his fellow Arizona Senator in requesting that they not end Title 42 until they develop a comprehensive border and health plan to replace it.

Both of them argue that the "Irregular Mass Migration Contingency Plan" that DHS has developed to replace Title 42 use at the border is not comprehensive enough and that they have not organized with or consulted local communities and elected officials.

16 Republicans also signed a similar letter. But, they can't directly do anything about it unless they pass new legislation.

DHS didn't comment on either letter.

https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/1508459062597455874

it is interesting that nobody's bothered saying "we can't do anything about the border because Sinema"

there's not even the pretense that the Biden administration wants to close down the child concentration camps. they're running at full inhumanity down there, and receiving... what, exactly, in exchange?

there are times and places where you could at least imagine from a cold realpolitik angle that the price of accomplishing something was chucking a bunch of bodies in the meat grinder, but all this suffering is being inflicted in exchange for Republicans -still- calling Biden soft on immigration. there's absolutely no payoff. cruelty for the sake of cruelty alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sharkie posted:

Calling your partner a scumsucking shitbag and watching you calmly say this to their face lol.

That'll go over real well in the following days and nights and years of yalls relationship. They'll definitely respect your commitment to nonviolence lmao

I also stated that I probably would have done the same. Also your words are quite a bit more inflammatory than his were. It doesn't change that violence probably wasn't the right answer.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riptor posted:

Violence is okay if your feelings are really really hurt

I mean, "violence," yeah, technically, but he hit him once, with an open hand. It's a lovely reaction and shouldn't be celebrated, but I'm willing to forgive Smith for it if Rock is (they've known each other a long time, since before this dead comedy website even existed). Smith certainly wouldn't have had any grounds to complain if he had been charged, but I'm okay with him "getting away" with it. The fact that this minor (if extremely public) interpersonal tiff between longtime friends/rivals, with no actual physical damage done or continuing danger, is being resolved without cops and lawyers is fine.

The fact that poor and unremarkable people don't get similar treatment is a separate issue that charging Will Smith with battery wouldn't really do anything to fix.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's a minor form of punching down. Alopecia is not exactly the same as male pattern baldness, and can be quite challenging to a person.

It was a joke in poor taste, but ultimately not worth violence. Words could have handled it.

Agree with this. Loudly heckling Rock and hollering over his presentation would have had about the same effect and was definitely the more mature way to handle it. Does Smith get pretty bent out of shape about the jokes people make about his kid I wonder? Because a lot of those seem way more out of bounds than last night.

Full disclosure: I am a totally bald white male and not in any way rich or famous.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

They’re both wealthy individuals so defending either of them makes one a class traitor. It is for the best to not care about rich people quarrels unless they impact classes lower than them.

Or, if one needs that in meme form: let them fight.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

Yeah, there's certainly no intersection between racism, misogyny, and medical conditions happening here. My mother in law had the same auto immune disease with accompanying hairloss and it destroyed her self esteem to the point where she didn't even want to be seen shopping for groceries. But its sure something to see punching down at diseases being handwaved away by the same people who spent 4 years telling me how disgusting it was for Trump to mock disabilities.

Nah, you don't get to use the motte and bailey here. You said Chris rock's joke was a part of how you build support for genocide. You don't get to just pretend that didn't happen.

No one is here defending the joke. You keep wanting that to be true so your soft defense of violence can seem reasonable. But it's not true.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

They’re both wealthy individuals so defending either of them makes one a class traitor. It is for the best to not care about rich people quarrels unless they impact classes lower than them.

Or, if one needs that in meme form: let them fight.

This is true but I can't help but think that this is normalizing violence even more than it already is in our twisted culture. Smith is a household name and has been famous for decades, largely from cultivating a fairly wholesome persona. Now he slaps the hell out of someone on live TV and gets legions of people, including people on this forum, defending his use of violence. Not saying it's a huge cultural turning point or anything, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 28, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just think it's really funny that some of the most comfortable people in the world are so miserable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been seeing this take and it's pretty weak. Your immediate reaction to something, especially in a very public/professional setting, doesn't always indicate how you really feel. And I dislike the implication that she intentionally goaded him, which is a pretty big stretch.

It also could have been he was doing a polite laugh until he saw how upset his wife was about it and decided to do something about that. Which is a fair reaction.

Also the take "it's ok to make fun of someone's medical condition if they have money" is pretty good. Good take.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I just think it's really funny that some of the most comfortable people in the world are so miserable.

d&d.txt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Nah, you don't get to use the motte and bailey here. You said Chris rock's joke was a part of how you build support for genocide. You don't get to just pretend that didn't happen.

No one is here defending the joke. You keep wanting that to be true so your soft defense of violence can seem reasonable. But it's not true.

I'm not walking it back. Normalizing belittling people for medical conditions builds the foundation for institutional violence. Its no different than racist jokes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Nah, you don't get to use the motte and bailey here

What?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a solid take and I should marinate on this more. Smith is an obviously self loathing person and that in itself is pretty funny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If a commoner went up and hit a comedian at a public event (especially a public event that was basically a comedy roast put on by their employer), they would have to deal with the police, DA, his employer, and a civil suit if he had any money. He would also not have the police look the other way and all of his coworkers pressuring the comedian to not do anything about it. He could do it, but those would be the costs of his choice.

It is not a good thing that someone can do that on camera because of a joke with complete confidence that there will be no consequences because of their status. There's lots of things the law is murky or unclear on, but it is pretty clear that you can't assault someone because your feelings were hurt. Normalizing violence in public over hurt feelings is a bad thing and doesn't make anyone safer. It just makes everyone feel like they are obligated to commit violence in those instances instead.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 28, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

I'm not walking it back. Normalizing belittling people for medical conditions builds the foundation for institutional violence. Its no different than racist jokes.

So making fun of Tim Pool for being bald is the same as blasting out an N word?

Lol wow

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The awards are not a roast. Mocking medical conditions is lovely. Your fat friends see how you talk about Donald Trump.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not to get too :tinfoil: but we should also keep in mind that the Oscars are a failing enterprise that is always on the hunt for viral moments, and as men in their 50s Rock and Smith's careers are in constant danger of decline and they can always use some juice themselves (especially Rock). The entire thing could've been a publicity stunt.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bobua posted:

The comparison of this to some guy on the street taking a poo poo on your wife isn't apt. This is closer to going to a celebrity roast and not being able to take a joke. Its not a perfect comparison, but its much closer than the hypothetical rando making fun of your spouse.
I'd also say the other side of "can't take a joke" is "don't make fun of someone's SO if you can't take a hit."

Like if you feel yourself comfortable enough or in a setting appropriate to make fun of someone's wife, then you should also probably also be preapred to take the lumps if it doesn't go over well, which seems to be the case from Chris Rock not pressing charges.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

bobua posted:

Will Smith laughed at the joke himself before Jada gave him the look. Then went on to give a speech about god telling him to protect his family.

Calling a professional comedian making a joke about another celebrities hair 'punching down' is a bit of a stretch. She's not battling cancer here. If Rock had made a joke about another celebrities male pattern baldness no one would have batted an eye, nor should they have.

jada was shooting both men eye-daggers, though, as rock told the joke.

one interp of will's laughing I read was that it was an "imma gonna gently caress you up for that" chuckle but who knows. I'm happy to let Black Twitter handle this the way they see fit.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So making fun of Tim Pool for being bald is the same as blasting out an N word?

Lol wow

Does Tim Pool have an auto immune disease? There are a million good reasons to poo poo on Tim Pool and his appearance is by far the flimsiest.

Just confirming that this is 100% okay, in your opinion?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is true but I can't help but think that this is normalizing violence even more than it already is in our twisted culture. Smith is a household name and has been famous for decades, largely from cultivating a fairly wholesome persona. Now he slaps the hell out of someone on live TV and gets legions of people, including people on this forum, defending his use of violence. Not saying it's a huge cultural turning point or anything, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction.

America (and arguably this sub forum) embodies the saying “scratch a liberal and a conservative bleeds” and I don’t believe this does anything to move that bar.

If one’s take of this isn’t either to roll eyes or laugh at the wealthy people getting into a literal slap fight then all that ends up happening is defending a wealthy person (or going into some racist rant as the worst kind of take).

Harold Fjord posted:

The awards are not a roast. Mocking medical conditions is lovely. Your fat friends see how you talk about Donald Trump.

Here’s another take: “They’re both garbage.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

Does Tim Pool have an auto immune disease? There are a million good reasons to poo poo on Tim Pool and his appearance is by far the flimsiest.

Just confirming that this is 100% okay, in your opinion?

Flipadelphia has said several times that nobody is actually defending the joke. He's just saying that hitting someone because of a joke (and getting away with no consequences because of your status) is normalizing violence in response to jokes, promoting a two-tiered justice system, and is not something that should be celebrated.

Seems pretty likely that if a random person came up on stage and hit Trump for doing that, then they would suffer consequences.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

it is pretty clear that you can't assault someone because your feelings were hurt

It is pretty clear that you can.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, "violence," yeah, technically, but he hit him once, with an open hand. It's a lovely reaction and shouldn't be celebrated, but I'm willing to forgive Smith for it if Rock is

I'm also willing to forgive Will Smith.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Not to get too :tinfoil: but we should also keep in mind that the Oscars are a failing enterprise that is always on the hunt for viral moments, and as men in their 50s Rock and Smith's careers are in constant danger of decline and they can always use some juice themselves (especially Rock). The entire thing could've been a publicity stunt.

Can't speak for Chris Rock's career but everyone was expecting Will Smith to win best actor and he was the favorite going into it by a pretty significant margin.

Certainly not impossible that it was a stunt but for now I'm inclined to believe it wasn't.

Harold Fjord posted:

Yea unless I know the person being mocked is cool with the joke that crap always comes off as uncomfortable as hell to me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mellow Seas posted:

The main problem with the publicity stunt hypothesis is that Smith dropping f-bombs made the whole thing unfit for American television. I fully believe it was a moment of uncontrolled anger.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Saying "the joke is bad, but not as bad as you are making it out to be". Is defending the joke
Especially when the joke is as bad as it's being made out to be.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

The main problem with the publicity stunt hypothesis is that Smith dropping f-bombs made the whole thing unfit for American television. I fully believe it was a moment of uncontrolled anger.

Yeah, it wasn't even broadcast fully on American TV. They cut off shortly after it started.

The full video is only available because other countries let it roll for the entire time.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Harold Fjord posted:

Saying "the joke is bad, but not as bad as you are making it out to be". Is defending the joke

Exactly. Not to mention that there's truly an interesting number of dudes on here eager to advertise how they'd proudly accept the public ridicule of their spouse with pacifism and good cheer.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Sir Lemming posted:

I've been seeing this take and it's pretty weak. Your immediate reaction to something, especially in a very public/professional setting, doesn't always indicate how you really feel. And I dislike the implication that she intentionally goaded him, which is a pretty big stretch.

Nah, I just don't buy that.

Having an initial reaction like anger, then calming down and finding a situation funny later is very common, but never in a million years would my initial reaction be laughter then assault. That's just not how that works.

Did he find it funny, then was angry seeing his wife was hurt? Absolutely possible\probable.

You just can't see all that go down, knowing the absolute shitshow their marriage is, and not see something's up though.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine looking deep into the eyes of the person you love and saying "Don't worry, the whole world can roast the hell out of you and your medical conditions and I'll never lift a finger."

But yes I too am troubled by this disturbing new development in our culture, fighting people when they insult your spouse. Now to open some history books and reflect on how far we've fallen.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If one’s take of this isn’t either to roll eyes or laugh at the wealthy people getting into a literal slap fight then all that ends up happening is defending a wealthy person (or going into some racist rant as the worst kind of take).

It's not like you don't play videogames or whatever. Not poo poo you can do about it so have fun and enjoy the show imo.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Sharkie posted:

Imagine looking deep into the eyes of the person you love and saying "Don't worry, the whole world can roast the hell out of you and your medical conditions and I'll never lift a finger."

Sharkie posted:

Calling your partner a scumsucking shitbag and watching you calmly say this to their face lol.

That'll go over real well in the following days and nights and years of yalls relationship. They'll definitely respect your commitment to nonviolence lmao

What a very specific fantasy you have!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

what in the wide world of sports is happening in this country

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

Exactly. Not to mention that there's truly an interesting number of dudes on here eager to advertise how they'd proudly accept the public ridicule of their spouse with pacifism and good cheer.

Ok so you're openly lying now.

mdemone posted:

The event itself isn't that big of a deal, but it's causing a whole lot of people to show their rear end wrt toxic masculinity being ok actually.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 28, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mdemone posted:

People have to debate to death an event that will have absolutely zero affect on anything in the world.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bishyaler posted:

there's a truly interesting degree of paternalism and infantilization to your implications that women need 'dudes' to defend their honor, not to mention the faintest soupçon of toxic masculinity with your assertion that acting like a grown up human and not punching someone is somehow unreasonable

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Biden has proposed a new income tax for wealthy americans for next year's budget.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/28/biden-budget-billionaires-tax-police/7186071001/

quote:

Among the highlights:
  • A new minimum tax of 20% on households worth more than $100 million, which the administration says would address the problem of the nation’s wealthiest individuals paying a lower tax rate than middle-income households. Over half of the revenue from the tax would come from billionaires.
  • $30 billion in mandatory spending to support law enforcement, crime prevention and community violence intervention, including funding for more community policing officers. Another $1.7 billion would be used to expand gun-tracking strike forces. The funding follows Biden’s State of the Union pledge to provide more funding for police, even as some Democrats call for defunding the police.
  • $773 billion in military spending, a 9.8% increase over current levels, to bolster support for Ukraine and strengthen deterrence efforts in the Indo-Pacific and across the globe.
  • Deficit spending is projected to drop by more than $1 trillion over the next decade.

Unfortunately, I can't find more details than that. The other two sources that I can find (that are reputable) are paywalled.

While I don't agree with the increase spending in both police and military, I posted this because I wanted to talk about the wealth tax.

20% seems like a really low income tax to hit multi-millionaires with. I mean, it'll be great if it is able to curb some of the loopholing most businesses do to pay nothing, or even get rebates, but I pay around 30-35% in taxes. Hopefully there is more to this that I don't know about or understand, but this feels like doing the minimum to appear like he's doing something to mollify the masses, but not really affecting the rich. "Normal" people will still be paying more in taxes than the rich will.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

You keep misconstruing what people like Flip and Bobua are saying. They aren't saying they would react "proudly" with "good cheer." They are saying that they would not walk up on stage and assault someone for a joke and that it is not a good thing that people are normalizing it.

If you feel like you have to assault someone over a joke or you will get divorced, then that is basically just toxic_masculinity.txt. Making everyone feel like they have to use violence in those situations is a bad thing for society. Normalizing violence in social situations or over hurt feelings is going to impact the vulnerable more than anyone else and is not a good thing for society.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

What a very specific fantasy you have!

It's not that specific

mdemone posted:

Content. and I love it.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Harold Fjord posted:

'Defending' has some layers here.

The same people that think Smith was right to slap him would probably argue that shooting him would have been a bit too far. Are they now defending the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Imagine. Can you imagine it? I can't stop imagining it. Complete humiliation. The undisguised disdain as she looks at me and I know, that in her eyes I am no longer a man.