Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like confirmation on this one flying around twitter today:

https://twitter.com/MaximColch/status/1508461578416496643

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1508463513013997580

Also explains why Zelenskyy didn't want Abramovich sanctioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It took me far too long to realize the guy who played the major in Red Dawn was the evil cowboy in Tombstone and also Gorilla Grodd.

Powers Boothe is an 80s character actor God.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Alright, back to the 1950's with you, Time-Displaced SAC Officer

"You see it dumps radioactive waste out the back to salt the Earth, this is something any normal person would say is good!"

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, Putin poisoning his own guys just to poison the Ukranian peace negotiators.

Perhaps MOPP suits and only drinking water brought with them should be SOP from now on for those guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy poo poo, Putin poisoning his own guys just to poison the Ukranians.

Perhaps MOPP suits and only drinking water brought with them should be SOP from now on for those guys.

All future negotiations will take place via Webex as the Ukrainians demand the Russian's mute their microphones to end the echos.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CommieGIR posted:

All future negotiations will take place via Webex as the Ukrainians demand the Russian's mute their microphones to end the echos.

Not sanctioning webex would be the kind of tough measure that will bring the Russians to the table

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Full story, now definitely real:

https://twitter.com/EmmaKinery/status/1508463463705808899?t=i_2S8KMxFf5zJr4HNQDEew&s=19

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The reason why Putin doesn't have a moustache is because he twirls it so much that it doesn't get a chance to grow.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What kind of coked-out-KGB-agent plan is that? Like, why? Why make it impossible to negotiate even in bad faith? Slinging dumb poo poo "negotiations" around so they can play the aggrieved victim is their thing, so why make everyone consider the possibility of dying to even do that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When all you've got is a hammer...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*twitterishly* Consider that the war was likely manufactured by Biden and NATO as a means to grind down Russian personnel and materiel,

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

Lol, did Nazis even poison peace parties? This poo poo is just getting comically stupid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Let’s not forget Superfly played the Cuban military officer. Actually it’s a really well made, and we’ll casted film. It’s just the kids are annoying and I don’t care about them. I prefer Invasion USA, despite my love of John Milius stuff.

I like it and agree it is a solid 3 star film, some flaws (Soviets launch nukes including against DC but everyone agrees that's ok as it was just to hit communications and so all sides agree no more nukes going forward?) but overall falls in the category of "so much better than it has any right to be" along with the 1990s TMNT film. I like how NPR gave it a positive review as their critic had been in I think the Dutch resistance and was impressed with how the Wolverines camp infighting and tension was accurate to his experiences.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

*twitterishly* Consider that the war was likely manufactured by Biden and NATO as a means to grind down Russian personnel and materiel,

No no it was all manufactured by Putin. To rid the army of dissident conscripts, uppity generals, obsolete equipment and expiring munitions, as well as gather data about western equipment in the field. The war is going perfectly to plan.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They did it to blame Ukraine for poisoning the peace talks

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fearless posted:

I think the only movie from the Iron Eagle series that I ever watched was the utterly ludicrous third one. Even my nine or ten year old mind thought that movie was bullshit.

Oh come on, the third one was *fun*. It was terrible in all the right ways.

The FOURTH one was awful in all the worst ways, though.

"I am Death. Thou shalt die." :shepface:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1508459829446299648?s=20&t=Mm3mwAqgSmir9A1ggwKsEQ

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

M_Gargantua posted:

But backfired and hit all the Ukraine diplomats? I guess deploying the poison with kisses wasn’t a great idea. Stupid Ukrainians.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/natynettle/status/1508130753812606980

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

M_Gargantua posted:

They didn't even think that far ahead

Some moron decided it would be a great idea to do an assassination and forgot they were losing the war

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Lol, did Nazis even poison peace parties? This poo poo is just getting comically stupid.

At this rate this whole thing is going to end up with Putin launching Russia's nukes at himself as part of a false flag op.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to assassinate Abramovich and the Ukrainians were collateral damage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Isn’t this like pathetically evil? What purpose does poisoning the negotiation team serve in the long term?

They aren’t the people who approve the deals.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

The story is behind a paywall, can someone post it? Or is it really all in the headline?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Is there any way to validate that the attackers were Ukrainian or the convoy was Russian? (Or that this was even part of the current conflict?)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dance Officer posted:

The story is behind a paywall, can someone post it? Or is it really all in the headline?

Just cut and paste the link into 12ft.io it’s been great at getting past paywalls.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They didn't even think that far ahead

Some moron decided it would be a great idea to do an assassination and forgot they were losing the war

From what is reported they weren't trying to assassinate anyone. It seems fairly reasonable to assume this was a very pointed warning to keep the lower tier of oligarchs in line. Especially given Zelensky says Abramovich was talking about moving money to Ukraine.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jesus, these Arsenal FC fans really go to extremes, don't they.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dance Officer posted:

Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning after a meeting in Kyiv earlier this month, people familiar with the matter said.

Following the meeting in the Ukrainian capital, Mr. Abramovich, who has shuttled between Moscow, Lviv and other negotiating venues, as well as at least two senior members of the Ukrainian team developed symptoms that included red eyes, constant and painful tearing, and peeling skin on their faces and hands, the people said.

The victims blamed the suspected attack on hard-liners in Moscow who they said wanted to sabotage talks to end the war. A person close to Mr. Abramovich said it wasn’t clear who had targeted the group.

Mr. Abramovich and the Ukrainian negotiators, who include Crimean Tatar lawmaker Rustem Umerov, have since improved and their lives aren’t in danger, the people said. Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelensky, who has met with Mr. Abramovich, wasn’t affected, they said. Mr. Zelensky’s spokesman said he had no information about any suspected poisoning.

Western experts who looked into the incident said it was hard to determine whether the symptoms were caused by a chemical or biological agent or by some sort of electromagnetic-radiation attack, the people familiar with the matter said.
Ukrainian lawmaker Rustem Umerov was poisoned but his health has since improved, say people familiar with the matter.Photo: Sergei Kholodilin/Associated Press

The Kremlin didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment about the suspected poisoning.

The investigation was organized by Christo Grozev, an investigator with the Bellingcat open-source collective who concluded that a Kremlin team poisoned Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny with a nerve agent in 2020. Mr. Grozev said that he saw the images of the effects of the attack on Mr. Abramovich and Ukrainian negotiators, but that a timely sample collection couldn’t be arranged in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv, through which they were traveling, because these people were in a hurry to travel to Istanbul.

By the time a German forensic team with the required know-how was able to perform an examination, too much time had passed for the suspected poison to be detected, he said. “It was not intended to kill, it was just a warning,” Mr. Grozev said.

In 2018, Britain blamed Russia’s intelligence services for a nerve-agent attack on Sergei Skripal, a former Russian military officer who defected to the U.K., and his daughter Yulia. Both survived, as did a British police officer hospitalized after contact with the poison. A British woman later died after accidentally coming into contact with the nerve agent.

The Kremlin has denied any involvement in the Skripal poisoning.

Mr. Abramovich, who has longstanding links to President Vladimir Putin, became involved in attempts to end the war in Ukraine shortly after Moscow launched the invasion on Feb. 24, people familiar with the matter said.
In 2018, police cordoned off an area in Salisbury, England, where former Russian military officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter were poisoned.Photo: Matt Dunham/Associated Press

His efforts are sometimes in conjunction with and sometimes parallel to a separate, official, negotiating track between Ukrainian and Russian representatives, they said. The Kyiv meeting where the suspected poisoning took place involved Mr. Abramovich, who is one of Russia’s wealthiest men, and members of the official Ukrainian negotiating team.

Mr. Zelensky has asked President Biden not to impose sanctions on Mr. Abramovich, who owns a minority stake in the steel company Evraz PLC and has Portuguese citizenship, because he is involved in the negotiations, according to people familiar with the call. Mr. Abramovich, who also owns the Chelsea soccer club, has been sanctioned by the U.K. and the European Union.

Asked about Mr. Abramovich in an interview with independent Russian media organizations on Sunday, Mr. Zelensky said he wouldn’t comment on his discussions with Mr. Biden. He said Mr. Abramovich was initially a member of a subcommittee of the Russian negotiating team, and then tried to help with humanitarian matters, particularly the evacuation of Ukrainian civilians from the besieged city of Mariupol.

Mr. Abramovich was seen in Belarus in late February as initial, official talks began between Kyiv and Moscow and has acted as a back channel for talks with the Kremlin, personally meeting with Mr. Putin on Ukraine, people familiar with the matter say. His role in the talks varies regularly and he has tried to engage others, including former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder, those people said.
Ukraine’s presidential office released this image of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky meeting with officials from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania in Kyiv last week.Photo: UKRAINIAN PRESIDENTIAL PRESS SERVICE/EPA/SHUTTERSTOCK

Despite the suspected poisoning, Mr. Abramovich has decided to remain involved in the peace talks, a person close to him said. In the past week he has traveled to Poland and Ukraine and traveled Monday to Istanbul, this person said. People who have seen him recently say he has dedicated a lot of time to mediating between the warring parties. Mr. Abramovich’s late mother was from Ukraine.

The talks have failed to gain much traction, as the war has ground to a stalemate. Russia’s offensive has stalled on a number of fronts. And Ukraine, meanwhile, has lacked the resources to mount a significant counterattack to regain occupied territory.

A new round of negotiations is set for Tuesday in Turkey, as negotiators discuss both a potential political settlement to the war and immediate humanitarian issues, such as the evacuation of civilians from cities under bombardment and prisoner exchanges.

Mr. Zelensky has indicated that Ukraine is open to compromise, saying it would be willing to maintain a neutral status if it receives binding security guarantees from both the West and Moscow. He has ruled out Moscow’s demand to discuss demilitarization of the country. Any agreement with Russia would have to be endorsed by a popular referendum held after all Russian forces withdraw to the positions they held before Feb. 24, he told Russian media on Sunday.

While the Kremlin says it is interested in pursuing a negotiated solution, presenters on popular talk shows on Russian state TV have said in recent days that any agreement with Mr. Zelensky would be a humiliation for Russia and said that Ukraine should be absorbed into the Russian state.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Murgos posted:

Isn’t this like pathetically evil? What purpose does poisoning the negotiation team serve in the long term?

They aren’t the people who approve the deals.

At this point, Putin is a low-budget Bond villain improvising what he thinks are master plans to take over the world.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I absolutely believe this since the only thing Putin is worried about is some intrepid oligarchs buying off a few generals with troops near Moscow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could ingratiate themselves to the whole world for a fraction of their massive fortunes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Let’s not forget Superfly played the Cuban military officer. Actually it’s a really well made, and we’ll casted film. It’s just the kids are annoying and I don’t care about them. I prefer Invasion USA, despite my love of John Milius stuff.

Yeah he did a heck of a job painting out a sympathetic character in a cold war era film pushing into Americana for a communist leader. It speaks to the film's overall quality that they didn't just make him some sort of autonomous bad guy a la Ivan Drago

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could ingratiate themselves to the whole world for a fraction of their massive fortunes

Shame we cant get them to compete in a public works race instead of a dick rocket contest

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Back to Iron Eagle for a moment, but this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcb_Cf8SsI

...still SLAPS.

Also, I wonder now if killing off Doug Masters in the first few minutes of II was their way of admitting the first one was bad.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

Back to Iron Eagle for a moment, but this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcb_Cf8SsI

...still SLAPS.

Also, I wonder now if killing off Doug Masters in the first few minutes of II was their way of admitting the first one was bad.

See, now you made me go dig up a c-64 song done in the mid 80s for some stupid skate boarding game. Game was eh but the song is pretty memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRXxPl6bXA

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cimber posted:

See, now you made me go dig up a c-64 song done in the mid 80s for some stupid skate boarding game. Game was eh but the song is pretty memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqRXxPl6bXA

What’s the word for a memory getting dredged up and having the dust blown off and getting a rush of nostalgia that you didn’t remember at all?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

madeleine de Proust

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

What’s the word for a memory getting dredged up and having the dust blown off and getting a rush of nostalgia that you didn’t remember at all?

Nostalgia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So Putin tried to poison an oligarch but ballsed it up and now he's hiding out in a bunker?

Oh yeah, they looking to give him the tokarev daydream.