Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Poopy Palpy posted:

It might be a good idea to make it more clear that it's up to the project to decide who gets access to the pledge manager. I've definitely backed campaigns where a $1 pledge didn't get you any more than access to backers-only updates.

Updated. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would, but I've seen pics of them fading + they're expensive if I want both sets and shipping to Aus.

Coin capsules work out like 30-40% of the cost of the Geekbits + I can pickup Herb Witches.

I'll talk to my players about a chip in for it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Free Gratis posted:

I haven't posted in this thread for a while so not sure if it's come up, but I recently bought Zombie Kidz: Evolution to play with my 7 and 9 year old children and it's pretty much the perfect game to play with kids.

All in all, it's an incredibly simple coop game, with some light legacy elements. The game starts off where 1-4 players work to close all the gates to their school to keep the zombies out. Each player rolls a colored die to show where a new Zombie pops up, then you move and kill some zombies to keep their numbers low while working to close the gates. The legacy elements gradually add more rules, like special powers for the player characters, and they do a great job of gradually adding complexity so as not to overwhelm kids.

The kids really like it (especially my 9 year old daughter), and they get thrilled when they get to open envelopes. It's a godsend to me because it's not a random mess like most "classic" child boardgames. It's not the most engaging puzzle, but there are honest to god decisions to make. Also, it's cheap!

The two main criticisms I have are not *too* important when you consider the intended audience. One is that the Legacy aspect doesn't really feel like you're progressing anything. You're just adding rules, with no story to justify them. The other is that it is even more prone to quarterbacking than classic Pandemic. In my case, this is fine since my kids generally want help from me in order to make the best play, but I could see it potentially being a nightmare in a group where one child has an extremely dominant personality.
We played this with my boys and eventually unlocked all the envelopes. It's a fantastic little game for that age range, yeah - just a cute, fun time.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

Updated. Thank you.

Yeah, I debated mentioning the same thing. Thankfully, most campaigns will literally have "Will a $1 pledge get me access to the pledge manager?" in their FAQ, regardless of the answer.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Jarvisi posted:

The first nemesis was confusing as hell, and also the bookkeeping after the first mission made me rage. I'm glad to hear it gets better though!

Still a little confused how the encounter deck works with the legacy aspect. I just keep everything in until it's banished looks like?

If it says Banish, then toss it aside and never use it again. The way the first nemesis is constructed is very confusing. And then the post game instructions are extremely wonky. The unleash/persistent effect on the purple minion guys are rather toothless and are more of a setup for later. So to compensate for that, they added several amped up cards to the Nemesis deck for this game only that get banished afterwards. It's a non-intuitive backwards design. Still waiting to see if it pays off. But no other nemesis so far as been nearly as confusing or annoying. They've all been rather straight forward.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

Updated. Thank you.

Sigh. I asked the question on Game Brain podcast's FB page (which is public if you are interested) and am getting the 'are you sure they know what they are talking about' pushback. And I said I was sure, as this site is full of techs, not to mention that there are a ton of folks who don't agree with the KS approach outside of SA. They were referencing these concepts fwiw. https://www.businessinsider.com/per...0more%20energy.

Or maybe I should discuss in the KS thread?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Sigh. I asked the question on Game Brain podcast's FB page (which is public if you are interested) and am getting the 'are you sure they know what they are talking about' pushback. And I said I was sure, as this site is full of techs, not to mention that there are a ton of folks who don't agree with the KS approach outside of SA. They were referencing these concepts fwiw. https://www.businessinsider.com/per...0more%20energy.

Blockchain is bad and the only ones trying to convince you otherwise are grifters who stand to profit from it, techbros too caught up in the fantasy of it that they don't or won't understand why it doesn't work and isn't good, and marks who are trying to justify it to avoid admitting they were scammed or are hoping to find a bigger fool to bail them out.

This isn't something where the truth is in the middle or some decorum matter where both sides need equal representation for their arguments because the fact of the matter is that they are objectively and factually incorrect, provably so, and they are just going to continue to sidestep issues, deflect arguments, and move the goalposts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There is a very big long post filled with sighs about why cryptocurrency/NFTs are both a rort and harmful for the environment.

Any company that actively supports them is only doing so to fill their own pockets.
Any company that tells you it's good for creators and backers is bald face lying.
It just about the money.

Anyone trying to convince you it's good is selling you snake-oil, because they're invested in the technology succeeding at some level.

A 2 second Google on Environmental Impacts will return results like this:
https://www.fairplanet.org/story/is-cryptocurrency-bad-for-the-environment/

----------------

I personally think it's 'OK' to use KS at the $1 level, and have avoided regular and All-in pledges as best I could. KS is far and away the most popular crowdfunding platform, and will likely remain this way for some time.

There are definitely more and more campaigns appearing on sites like Game found, but it's going to take one or two multi million dollar Big Boys campaigns to make that step away before you see the community actively move away.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
also like, even if there's other blockchain techs that are less environmentally destructive, the whole thing is a horrible little con to get people out of their money, fails as a technology at providing what it claims to on basically any level, and is filled top to bottom with scams. If we could wave a magic wand and make it somehow not hurt the environment... it would still suck and be worth pushing back on.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you are going to spend $5k on an NFT, just send me the money instead to buy a game table.

You wont be able to play games with me, but you can tell people you do
Buy in for your first Tabley now!

(This is literally how NFTs work)

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Just finished the The King's Dilemma this week. 4 players, 15 games over 6 nights. The win conditions weren't very well explained in the beginning which left everyone making up their own goals, and the faction specific achievements felt almost entirely random. It was an experience far more than a game, the basic idea is solid and I look forward to the Queen's Dilemma sequel and seeing an improved version because there's loads of room for improvement on the novel concept of it all. And because I enjoy a good helping of roleplay with my board games.

Good chance our next endeavor will be the Arkham Horror card game core set. I found a 'ding'n'dent' copy at our LGS that was more "box obliterated with prejudice" but the contents check out and the discount obviated my strongest objection. Unless it blows my pants off though, I can't see it as a frequent flyer whatwith the price of all the adventure packs.

I've also been eyeing V:TM Heritage, anyone 'round here with an informed opinion they'd like to share?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Slyphic posted:

Ju

Good chance our next endeavor will be the Arkham Horror card game core set. I found a 'ding'n'dent' copy at our LGS that was more "box obliterated with prejudice" but the contents check out and the discount obviated my strongest objection. Unless it blows my pants off though, I can't see it as a frequent flyer whatwith the price of all the adventure packs.

Arkham horror is a great time, though I'm not sure how well it would go for 4 player campaigns. I've been using it as a date thing with my spouse.

Regardless they've started selling campaigns in a box. You'll get six or more play sessions for the price of fifty bucks. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc66.html

It's still a big investment especially if you want to deckbuild though! Though the premade investigator decks aren't bad

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Free Gratis posted:

I haven't posted in this thread for a while so not sure if it's come up, but I recently bought Zombie Kidz: Evolution to play with my 7 and 9 year old children and it's pretty much the perfect game to play with kids.

All in all, it's an incredibly simple coop game, with some light legacy elements. The game starts off where 1-4 players work to close all the gates to their school to keep the zombies out. Each player rolls a colored die to show where a new Zombie pops up, then you move and kill some zombies to keep their numbers low while working to close the gates. The legacy elements gradually add more rules, like special powers for the player characters, and they do a great job of gradually adding complexity so as not to overwhelm kids.

The kids really like it (especially my 9 year old daughter), and they get thrilled when they get to open envelopes. It's a godsend to me because it's not a random mess like most "classic" child boardgames. It's not the most engaging puzzle, but there are honest to god decisions to make. Also, it's cheap!

The two main criticisms I have are not *too* important when you consider the intended audience. One is that the Legacy aspect doesn't really feel like you're progressing anything. You're just adding rules, with no story to justify them. The other is that it is even more prone to quarterbacking than classic Pandemic. In my case, this is fine since my kids generally want help from me in order to make the best play, but I could see it potentially being a nightmare in a group where one child has an extremely dominant personality.

The slightly more advanced sequel (only slightly) Zombie Teenz does have some story (comic panels) which get unlocked with the new stuff and feels like there is more progression. There is also a die you upgrade, and cards you swap into an events deck, so the whole thing does feel like it changes more. I rolled my 4 and 7 year old onto it and its been great. It's different enough that it's definitely worth having both for kids. (There are also rules for using characters from one game in the other). We super enjoy it as a family, I think it's an incredibly good game for a family with kids in that age range.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Infinitum posted:

I would, but I've seen pics of them fading + they're expensive if I want both sets and shipping to Aus.

Coin capsules work out like 30-40% of the cost of the Geekbits + I can pickup Herb Witches.

I'll talk to my players about a chip in for it

It's highly worth doing but make sure you get the right size. Be warned it takes a long time to do all the chips for the game + herb witches - I did it in a team with my son over a bunch of nights.

Once you've done it you will probably also want to think about how you store each set of capsuled tokens. (I haven't nailed that one yet)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've played Ark Nova every weekend for like a month since I bought it, with multiple groups. I am definitely starting to see why it's on a lot of goty lists It's just a joy to play. I'm trying to get Gaia Project to the table but all people want to play is Ark Nova and honestly I don't blame them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mayveena posted:

It has been gone over in the KS thread a fair bit, but I wouldn't worry about what some randos say. I'm personally 'medium informed' on the matter, but here's what I can say as an idiot, as the world's biggest fool: There are two sets of people who seem to "know what they're talking about": One say that it's destructive, and one says its not or it's not that bad. However, the latter set say that it's not that bad also tend to have a vested interest in getting people into crypto because by its nature these paper millionaires can't actually turn it into fiat unless they find a greater fool to buy in and relieve them of their bitcoins. It's like a MLM where you're selling beanie babies.

In any case, the OP is here to afford people information. It's important that people know it's not just video game companies getting in on crypto.

If you have the spare 2.5 hours, the mega-smash hit youtube video Line Goes Up - The Problem With by YouTube essayist Dan Olson is worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g It does get fairly technical, but I was able to follow it, so it can't be that bad. Also, it's popularity has been humorously attributed to a certain decline in this stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

It's highly worth doing but make sure you get the right size. Be warned it takes a long time to do all the chips for the game + herb witches - I did it in a team with my son over a bunch of nights.

Once you've done it you will probably also want to think about how you store each set of capsuled tokens. (I haven't nailed that one yet)

Bought Herb Witches + these capsules - https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07SMQL86P
Multiple reviews saying they're perfect for Quacks.

I'll pop a movie or three on and spend an evening putting 388 tokens into capsules :suicide:

As for a storage solution, I see this on BGG
https://www.michaels.com/occasions-tin-favor-box-set-by-celebrate-it/10172568.html

Probably need to lose the insert for Herb Witches

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Herb witches has two new chips, one with a book and a pumpkin 6er

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think my post got lost in the drama. Any other cool boardgames inspired by Chinese History? I got Three Kingdoms Redux ordered and I'm curious at how tapped that design space is.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

had a good sesh a few nights ago:

played Machi Koro a couple of times - a good euro dice-engine builder, but i'm honestly pretty bored of euro engine builders
played Tiny Towns - always fun and surprisingly vindictive
played Imperium: The Contention - a very fun mini-4x that ended with a lot of backstabbing and politics, good poo poo

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Radioactive Toy posted:

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

This is weird and I feel kinda dirty about giving them money for it. I've been waiting with bated breath for an electronic MK implementation but like. This feels like it should be illegal? Maybe I can buy it and paypal Vlaada ten bucks or something.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think my post got lost in the drama. Any other cool boardgames inspired by Chinese History? I got Three Kingdoms Redux ordered and I'm curious at how tapped that design space is.

I've never actually played it, but I've heard that At the Gates of Loyang is ok. Reviews I read a few years back suggest it's more of an abstract resource-trading game than something very heavily thematic, but it's setting is one of the ancient Han capitals, and it's got veggiemeeples in the box.

You can also run a search for games about/based in China on BGG. I got 322 results, which you can sort by rank to see the most likely good ones.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NmareBfly posted:

This is weird and I feel kinda dirty about giving them money for it. I've been waiting with bated breath for an electronic MK implementation but like. This feels like it should be illegal? Maybe I can buy it and paypal Vlaada ten bucks or something.

The official one got cancelled.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I gotta flex a little bit....I had the good fortune of getting to play my first game of The Field of the Cloth of Gold this weekend. Against Amabel Holland, the game's designer. and I won.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's awesome, one of my favorites.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gugong is based on the trading of gifts instead of bribes to coerce government officials. One of my favorites.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/250458/gugng

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

silvergoose posted:

The official one got cancelled.

Oh, yep. Welp. That does make it a bit easier. Still feels weird but let's give this a shot...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yin-Yang is sort of inspired by Chinese history, and also uses coin divination as its core mechanic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/endangeredatlas/ulus-a-game-to-save-a-culture

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

I gotta flex a little bit....I had the good fortune of getting to play my first game of The Field of the Cloth of Gold this weekend. Against Amabel Holland, the game's designer. and I won.

That game looks cool. 2p games very rarely get played for me, particular esoteric ones, which is one big reason I haven't gotten this yet. Same with This Guilty Land and Supply Lines of the American Revolution. They're the type of game I aspire to play and understand, even if they aren't the most complicated. In fact, partially because they aren't simply some Vital Lacerda game with twelve thousand tracks and me with zero fucks.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like most of the other China-themed games use the aesthetics of China or a very surface level approach (Build the Great Wall!).

One I do like is Confucius, which has an interesting gift-giving element where players you’ve given gifts to have obligations to assist you in certain actions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Magnetic North posted:

That game looks cool. 2p games very rarely get played for me, particular esoteric ones, which is one big reason I haven't gotten this yet. Same with This Guilty Land and Supply Lines of the American Revolution. They're the type of game I aspire to play and understand, even if they aren't the most complicated. In fact, partially because they aren't simply some Vital Lacerda game with twelve thousand tracks and me with zero fucks.

Yeah it was a very delightful 2p game, like a knife fight in a telephone booth. Every decision has to be weighed against what benefit it offers the opponent, and I learned that the exact timing of triggering endgame is very important. My victory came by way of the game end scoring catch up mechanic, and if the game had gone another turn or two I don't think I would have won.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Got a cheap copy of Caper:Europe from a local dude selling his off. Really enjoying it so far. Have just done the base Paris (lowest complexity) heist so far for a handful of games and it's a really nice head to head. Doesn't feel very swingy and the interaction doesn't feel super aggressive which is a huge plus for us. Compared to Radlands which was our last 2p head to head, I think this will have much longer legs.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I honestly thought the suggest Chinese games was a poo poo post for some reason. There is a P500 for a Chinese COIN game https://www.gmtgames.com/p-830-chinas-war-1937-1941.aspx

And the now out of print An Infamous Traffic. Not exactly a happy period of history but there you go.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

St0rmD posted:

I've never actually played it, but I've heard that At the Gates of Loyang is ok. Reviews I read a few years back suggest it's more of an abstract resource-trading game than something very heavily thematic, but it's setting is one of the ancient Han capitals, and it's got veggiemeeples in the box.

You can also run a search for games about/based in China on BGG. I got 322 results, which you can sort by rank to see the most likely good ones.

Space Cob posted:

Gugong is based on the trading of gifts instead of bribes to coerce government officials. One of my favorites.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/250458/gugng

Jedit posted:

Yin-Yang is sort of inspired by Chinese history, and also uses coin divination as its core mechanic.

St0rmD posted:

garthoneeye posted:

I feel like most of the other China-themed games use the aesthetics of China or a very surface level approach (Build the Great Wall!).

One I do like is Confucius, which has an interesting gift-giving element where players you’ve given gifts to have obligations to assist you in certain actions.

Thanks, I'll trawl through those, see if anything catches my eye!

dishwasherlove posted:

I honestly thought the suggest Chinese games was a poo poo post for some reason. There is a P500 for a Chinese COIN game https://www.gmtgames.com/p-830-chinas-war-1937-1941.aspx

And the now out of print An Infamous Traffic. Not exactly a happy period of history but there you go.

Hey!

But more seriously, I'm a bit of an history nerd and loves history games like Paradox stuff and board games based on history. Love Pax Pamir, for instance. I just realized I haven't seen/tried many based around chinese history, which is weird considering how HUGE Chinese history is. It feels like Japan got a lot based on the Warring States by comparison.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radioactive Toy posted:

Co-op with my wife, but I've never even tried to get it to the table with others. I've never been a solo board gamer for whatever reason.

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

Yeesh, that interface is pretty rough.

Not nearly as rough as my skills after not playing MK for several years, though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Someone talk me out of backing the new Mars COIN game https://www.gmtgames.com/p-893-red-dust-rebellion.aspx

I already own and have never played Cuba Libre (because the History) but this looks really good, tickles the Mars trilogy fan in me, and the designer is (I think) the person from 3 minute board games so might be more accessible?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

hoiyes posted:

Someone talk me out of backing the new Mars COIN game https://www.gmtgames.com/p-893-red-dust-rebellion.aspx

I already own and have never played Cuba Libre (because the History) but this looks really good, tickles the Mars trilogy fan in me, and the designer is (I think) the person from 3 minute board games so might be more accessible?

I’m a sucker for Mars theming and COIN so I guess I’m out $65 thanks.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone played For-Ex? I saw it on bga now and it looks really interesting, but one of the guys who I play games with said you have to read the rules and then think about it for a while before you're even ready to go. I'm gonna try it anyways, but was curious for any good thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hey, so, me and the other best man are organizing a stag do for my mate. There are about 25 of us, and we're going to Nottingham. I had some questions for you lovely lot, if you might be able to help? First up, just a kind of rundown of what we got.

Quite a lot of his friends are through surfing, and they're not really gamery types, but he very much is to the degree that it is expected we do more 'geeky' games than typical drinking games. We've considered just a few of us going to Warhammer World afterwards, for example, but certainly that wouldn't be appropriate for the main event, if that gives some indication of the vibe?

I've picked up 3 copies of 'Dont Get Got' (Well, two, and then one copy of the SUSD version) which I figure factors well into pub crawl / drinking games.

We're going to play liars dice, and ideally we're gonna do it in a pub called Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem, because it's a fuckin' awesome old pub, but also has a glass case with a model ship in it, that is supposedly cursed, (it definitely is) and if you touch it you die. So the loser of liars dice not only has to down the dirty pint but do so while touching the cursed ship. So they die.

We're also gonna do werewolf at some point. There's a guy coming who essentially lives for DnD, that runs just the BEST games of Werewolf.

We also wanted to do like a dress up pub crawl, DnD style. We'd have two giant foam dice to roll, but we haven't quite worked out if it's to decide what drinks to buy, where to go etc, or if its just for rolling on tables for drinking penalties? I was thinking we could combine it with don't get got, and when you complete your three, you roll on a table for what penalty the stag has to do?

My question to you guys is if you had any ideas of how we could spice it up, or if you had any cool ideas for similar stuff? One thing I was wondering was if anyone knew where I could get a bunch of old wooden dice, for the liars dice? Or any good ideas for cups? I'm not that fussed about budget but money is an object here. Its happening in August, so I've got a while to sort stuff out yet!