Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I spoke to someone who lives there yesterday. High COL was their main gripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the responses.

I was wondering if Ireland had surpassed the U.K. in quality of life.

Ireland probably has, yes, by virtue of not being run by the Tories for more than a decade.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ireland has a higher life expectancy than the UK by a full year.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the responses.

I was wondering if Ireland had surpassed the U.K. in quality of life.

The annoying answer is "it varies". Ireland doesn't have anywhere thats as mega-wealthy as the nicer parts of London. But it also doesn't have anywhere as deprived as parts of Glasgow or Northern England.

If someone's got assets of £1m plus they're probably better off in the UK. But if they're in a rural area, or are working class or unemployed Ireland. So on an average whole country level the answer is probably yes I guess.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Blut posted:

The annoying answer is "it varies". Ireland doesn't have anywhere thats as mega-wealthy as the nicer parts of London. But it also doesn't have anywhere as deprived as parts of Glasgow or Northern England.

So, a few things.

I went down a rabbit hole of trying to find the most deprived area of the UK and apparently it's down South in Essex, a place called Jaywick, not in Glasgow or up North.

If you look at life expectancies in Ireland, places like Leitrim are shockingly low.

So I think Ireland doesn't have the same mega-wealthy areas like London in the UK, but I think there are definitely extremely deprived areas, possibly even more deprived than the most deprived areas of the UK.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Gort posted:

So, a few things.

I went down a rabbit hole of trying to find the most deprived area of the UK and apparently it's down South in Essex, a place called Jaywick, not in Glasgow or up North.

If you look at life expectancies in Ireland, places like Leitrim are shockingly low.

So I think Ireland doesn't have the same mega-wealthy areas like London in the UK, but I think there are definitely extremely deprived areas, possibly even more deprived than the most deprived areas of the UK.

Jaywick may be the most deprived local authority, but its an outlier. The vast majority of the most deprived regions in the UK are in the North of England or Scotland. I can't find a map that includes Scotland and Wales for some reason, but this is England for reference:

I'm not sure what rabbit hole you went down on Ireland, because the data doesn't match your conclusion at all.

The most recent figure I can find for Leitrim, the lowest in Ireland by a significant margin, was 72.8 years for males [1] back in 2008. And Irish life expectancy for males increased by 3 years from 2008-2020[2]

In parts of Glasgow male life expectancy is 66(!) as of 2021[3] .

Thats almost a decade of life expectancy difference, thats a huge difference in life expectancy alone. On top of other quality of life issues like jobseekers allowance rates being almost 250% higher in Ireland, much lower crime rates in Leitrim (to run with it as an example) than the more deprived parts of the UK etc.

[1]https://www.irishtimes.com/news/survey-finds-roscommon-has-highest-life-expectancy-1.827235
[2]https://publicpolicy.ie/papers/irish-population-health-life-expectancy-and-mortality-2/
[3]https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/feb/26/the-glasgow-effect-examining-the-citys-life-expectancy-gap-a-photo-essay

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's pretty telling that you're all talking about life expectancy (not defined, ie. whether it's at-birth or for all currently-living people) as if that's a major indicator for... anything.

Nothing about quality of life or happiness.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Apparently Finland won that again, it made people who comment in newspapers really angry.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Blut posted:

Jaywick may be the most deprived local authority, but its an outlier. The vast majority of the most deprived regions in the UK are in the North of England or Scotland. I can't find a map that includes Scotland and Wales for some reason, but this is England for reference:
So I guess it was a good thing that Ireland fought for independence.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently Finland won that again, it made people who comment in newspapers really angry

I recall someone was ranting how Finland/other Nordic countries suck because they have the most people taking anti-depressants per capita of any nation.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall someone was ranting how Finland/other Nordic countries suck because they have the most people taking anti-depressants per capita of any nation.

Well, the Nordics are generally high in the list. However the reporting of the statistics might also be different from the different countries, with the Nordics seemingly reporting quite comprehensive compared to most other countries.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?ThemeTreeId=9

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_antidepressant_consumption

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I ain't getting any of that :(

Honestly though I always get the impression here doctors are extremely conversative with painkillers. I mostly got strong paracetamol after surgery. So I didn't think the same doctors would prescribe mood altering drugs easily.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 24, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently Finland won that again, it made people who comment in newspapers really angry.

Knowing that statistic helped my team win a pub quiz last night, so I'm pretty happy about it.

(And the statistic defines happiness not as ecstatic joy, but as overall satisfaction with their current situation in life, prospects for the future, financial security and so on. It should really be called contentness instead.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Fennoscandic countries tend to rank in the top-5 consistently with not that much difference, and the biggest drop-off happening after the top-10 - so winning is largely a question of a very small amount.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I guess it was a good thing that Ireland fought for independence.

Zudgemud posted:

Well, the Nordics are generally high in the list. However the reporting of the statistics might also be different from the different countries, with the Nordics seemingly reporting quite comprehensive compared to most other countries.

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?ThemeTreeId=9
Gonna lump these two posts together because if you read the OECD Health Statistics 2021 Definitions, Sources and Methods paper, you'll see that the difference in methodology means that whatever statistical analysis is being attempted cannot possibly be valid when comparing countries given the large variability in sources, when no attempt is being made to account for the difference.

The only thing it can be used for, is for the countries where the methodology hasn't changed over the entire 20 year span, you can see whether antidepressant use has increased or decreased.

Also, I'm just ignoring the wikipedia article, because it doesn't really serve any point whatsoever - and if you don't compare across different years as they do (for example, sort descending for 2017), it paints a very different picture that you also can't use for anything because of the difference in methodology.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 24, 2022

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

It's pretty telling that you're all talking about life expectancy (not defined, ie. whether it's at-birth or for all currently-living people) as if that's a major indicator for... anything.

I mean I directly mentioned welfare rates and crime rates in the post above yours, which are both pretty huge for quality of life in working class areas. The life expectancy under discussion was quite clearly at birth too if you'd read any of the sources linked. But eh, sick strawman burn I guess.

Life expectancy for what its worth is generally an easy singular statistic to use when measuring deprivation, if you have to focus on one. Its heavily influenced by all of disposable income, healthcare quality, crime levels, drug use, suicide and a whole host of other factors that are all at play for quality of life.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blut posted:

I mean I directly mentioned welfare rates and crime rates in the post above yours, which are both pretty huge for quality of life in working class areas. The life expectancy under discussion was quite clearly at birth too if you'd read any of the sources linked. But eh, sick strawman burn I guess.

Life expectancy for what its worth is generally an easy singular statistic to use when measuring deprivation, if you have to focus on one. Its heavily influenced by all of disposable income, healthcare quality, crime levels, drug use, suicide and a whole host of other factors that are all at play for quality of life.
Right, but if you look at what matters most to the people in, say, Ireland, Great Britain vs the Nordic countries like Finland, Sweden, and Denmark, you find that the thing that the people taking the surveys care most about is life satisfaction.
The exception being Norway and Iceland, where health is more important.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Right, but if you look at what matters most to the people in, say, Ireland, Great Britain vs the Nordic countries like Finland, Sweden, and Denmark, you find that the thing that the people taking the surveys care most about is life satisfaction.
The exception being Norway and Iceland, where health is more important.

"Life satisfaction" is a nebulous term that has no statistical grounding. What exactly is it measured by? How does it change over time? How do different people measure it? Its not possible to make statistical observations without hard data.

Which, again, is why life expectancy is regularly used as a more academically valid measure of the idea represented by "life satisfaction" because it encompasses everything that would go into the latter term. Even at its very core, unhappy people die younger. Diseases of despair are a huge factor in local life expectancy decreases in rich countries.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blut posted:

"Life satisfaction" is a nebulous term that has no statistical grounding. What exactly is it measured by? How does it change over time? How do different people measure it? Its not possible to make statistical observations without hard data.

Which, again, is why life expectancy is regularly used as a more academically valid measure of the idea represented by "life satisfaction" because it encompasses everything that would go into the latter term. Even at its very core, unhappy people die younger. Diseases of despair are a huge factor in local life expectancy decreases in rich countries.
It's nevertheless what matters most to people when polled.
It also has plenty of use in acedemic literature going back decades, has a working definition and gets used even now.

Like I mentioned previously, life expectancy isn't as objective as you're making it out to be; go look at how many times it gets intermixed between the meaning "life expectancy for someone who's alive now" and the meaning "life expectancy for someone born right now" in academic literature.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 25, 2022

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

It's nevertheless what matters most to people when polled.
It also has plenty of use in acedemic literature going back decades, has a working definition and gets used even now.

Like I mentioned previously, life expectancy isn't as objective as you're making it out to be; go look at how many times it gets intermixed between the meaning "life expectancy for someone who's alive now" and the meaning "life expectancy for someone born right now" in academic literature.

Your google scholar links list academic papers written by a grand total of 4 authors, in the history of earth, as evidence of widespread use in academic literature lol

"life satisfaction" is not a respected academic measure because its entirely subjective. Life expectancy is because its empirically maths based. Theres a reason "life satisfaction" is only ever used in wishy washy theoretical popsci journalism, while life expectancy is the measure used by governments around the world to make policy.

In any respectable academic paper its also listed very clearly if the discussion is of life expectancy at birth or life expectancy at X age. You've clearly never done any actual research in the field.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blut posted:

Your google scholar links list academic papers written by a grand total of 4 authors, in the history of earth, as evidence of widespread use in academic literature lol

"life satisfaction" is not a respected academic measure because its entirely subjective. Life expectancy is because its empirically maths based. Theres a reason "life satisfaction" is only ever used in wishy washy theoretical popsci journalism, while life expectancy is the measure used by governments around the world to make policy.

In any respectable academic paper its also listed very clearly if the discussion is of life expectancy at birth or life expectancy at X age. You've clearly never done any actual research in the field.
I didn't link the four papers themselves, I linked their google scholar entries which provide an easy way to see the almost-3000 citations in other papers.

A published paper by itself isn't proof of anything other than someone has had something published in a peer-reviewed journal.
The number of citations, and the impact factor of the journal as well as the impact factor of the journals that the citations are published in are what matter.

Science can be and often is a question of consensus - and is always in the process of changing somewhere.
It's a very slippery slope to try and claim that any measure isn't academically respected because you don't recognize it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 26, 2022

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

How do you get “life satisfaction” if you’re sick?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

morothar posted:

well you could be mentally ill and oblivious

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

morothar posted:

It being subjective also means that it's relative.

I've not got the best situation health-wise, because of chronic fatigue and pain from cancer therapies due to cancer that's now in remission, and a recent COVID-19 infection leading to some long side effects, but overall I'd still say that of all the things that OECD measure, life satisfaction is probably still the most important thing.

V. Illych L. posted:

well you could be mentally ill and oblivious
Or this could be me. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Double post.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I didn't link the four papers themselves, I linked their google scholar entries which provide an easy way to see the almost-3000 citations in other papers.

A published paper by itself isn't proof of anything other than someone has had something published in a peer-reviewed journal.
The number of citations, and the impact factor of the journal as well as the impact factor of the journals that the citations are published in are what matter.

Science can be and often is a question of consensus - and is always in the process of changing somewhere.
It's a very slippery slope to try and claim that any measure isn't academically respected because you don't recognize it.

OK, but I do recognize it and think "life satisfaction" as a measure is stupid and doesn't tell you anything useful, as it is far too nebulous.

Besides, you can't be satisfied with life when misery crushes you and then you die early because of bad healthcare, so your argument doesn't even make sense

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

morothar posted:

From what I understand it generally comes from not speaking English and having the translation you are given imply different things then in English.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

It being subjective also means that it's relative.

I've not got the best situation health-wise, because of chronic fatigue and pain from cancer therapies due to cancer that's now in remission, and a recent COVID-19 infection leading to some long side effects, but overall I'd still say that of all the things that OECD measure, life satisfaction is probably still the most important thing.

And what would your life satisfaction be without healthcare, on an extensive waiting list for treatment, or in bankruptcy due to medical bills?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

morothar posted:

And what would your life satisfaction be without healthcare, on an extensive waiting list for treatment, or in bankruptcy due to medical bills?
But that's my point - since the countries we've been talking about have universal healthcare without extensive waiting lists for treatment and don't require you go bankrupt due to medical bills, I have life satisfaction even if I'm not healthy.

I'm fully aware that if I'd had to pay for my healthcare at the prices that exist in the American healthcare system, I'd be millions in dept.
I used to have (might still have somewhere on my storage array on my server) a spreadsheet that was my attempt to figure out what it'd cost me in total - and I think it was well in excess of several hundred thousands (although part of this was that I was converting to US healthcare pricing, which is a lot more expensive than it needs to be).

I'm not sure I understand what your point is. Should I feel bad because I'm not dead and not in dept? Because that's one hell of a take to just direct at a completely random person on the internet.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

But that's my point - since the countries we've been talking about have universal healthcare without extensive waiting lists for treatment and don't require you go bankrupt due to medical bills, I have life satisfaction even if I'm not healthy.

Neither of the two countries in question have "universal healthcare without extensive waiting lists for treatment".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blut posted:

Neither of the two countries in question have "universal healthcare without extensive waiting lists for treatment".
There's usually a pretty big difference between waiting lists for elective healthcare and lifesaving healthcare, so I just wanna check - are you saying that lifesaveing healthcare has long waiting lists?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

There's usually a pretty big difference between waiting lists for elective healthcare and lifesaving healthcare, so I just wanna check - are you saying that lifesaveing healthcare has long waiting lists?

yes some forms of life-saving surgery have serious waiting lists. usually because it's life-saving in the sense that "this is going to get gradually worse until you die in four years unless we do something by that time" rather than "this person has a pickaxe in his lung for some reason"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pickaxe in lung waiting lists can be brutal though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

yes some forms of life-saving surgery have serious waiting lists. usually because it's life-saving in the sense that "this is going to get gradually worse until you die in four years unless we do something by that time" rather than "this person has a pickaxe in his lung for some reason"
Well that loving sucks. :mad:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Quoting a doomsday econ post.

I can imagine Germany seeing the French destroy the Latin Monetary Union and Bretton Woods by taking unfair, unilateral advantage and going,

"wait, can we do that too? Neat!"

"Wait, what do you mean my political union is dying? But... but... peace project! democracy! Human rights! You can vote! There's eurovision! Why are you a populist racist????"

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So how bout that French election

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fuligin posted:

So how bout that French election

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1512487469173800960

A bit too tight for my liking.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

to know the EU is going to die in my lifetime. Wow.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm honestly scared about the prospects of that French election. We could probably deal with Orban fine, but another Russian stooge undermining EU and world peace right from the top of an European powerhouse, that is going to be a massive problem for all of us.

Much like the UK's spiral into complete poo poo can basically be blamed on David Cameron being a complete idiot at the worst possible time, I'd say France's woes are entirely traced to Macron spending his whole presidency doing nothing but riling the people instead of fixing any relevant issues. Good job, Macron.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

le pen, imo, is a french nationalist who takes support from where-ever. she is not loyal to the EU mission and has her own reactionary agenda (which is in russia's interest to promote), but i think it's simplifying it too much to call her a russian stooge. she's dodged a lot of flak about being associated with putin this far by sort of shifting the attention over to zemmour, but if i had to choose or die i would choose macron ten times out of ten. he's going to make the "votez escroc mais pas facho" argument and be convincing enough to pull through.

next election, though...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

V. Illych L. posted:

le pen, imo, is a french nationalist who takes support from where-ever. she is not loyal to the EU mission and has her own reactionary agenda (which is in russia's interest to promote), but i think it's simplifying it too much to call her a russian stooge. she's dodged a lot of flak about being associated with putin this far by sort of shifting the attention over to zemmour, but if i had to choose or die i would choose macron ten times out of ten. he's going to make the "votez escroc mais pas facho" argument and be convincing enough to pull through.

next election, though...

Maybe she's not a Russian stooge. But her interests align with Russia which is a return to pre 1945 European politics.

All she has to do is put a referendum in front of the people who voted for her and it will ensure that they can leave the EU just as she wants. Then they can set up nice big barricades around Spain Germany and Italy to prevent the free movement of people.

Leave EU enter trade union with UK as a new European power base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yes, if le pen is president the EU in its present form is done. i just really do not think she's going to be president - or, to be honest, that the EU in its present form is a force for good*

*i do not think that le pen would make the EU better - i just don't think the macron-[scholz|merkel] EU is a project worth a lot of support on its own terms