Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Khanstant posted:

Star Trek Hospital Drama could actually be a cool show, but I guess any proper Trek show can do those medical episodes whenever they want without contrivances to drag patients with weird ailments from all over.

Should be a hospital ship IMO. Exploring strange, diseased worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have we ever had a Trek where they gotta shrink down to go inside someone's body? that's my favourite stock scifi gimmick and the USS Doctor show can be the first

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

Have we ever had a Trek where they gotta shrink down to go inside someone's body? that's my favourite stock scifi gimmick and the USS Doctor show can be the first

There’s a micro shuttle episode on DS9 but I remember nothing about it tbqh

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I want a shrinking episode where they shrink but only like 10% smaller so they're still mostly normal and they spend the episode getting increasingly annoyed that nobody is working that hard to fix it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That’s kinda the B-plot in the Voyager episode Parallax IIRC with the Doctor lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Great Beer posted:

I want a shrinking episode where they shrink but only like 10% smaller so they're still mostly normal and they spend the episode getting increasingly annoyed that nobody is working that hard to fix it

Didn't the TOS animated show do something like that? I'm pretty sure there's an episode where the Enterprise crew is shrunk so they're all about 1 foot tall and they need to work together to just do basic poo poo on the Enterprise until Scotty can fix the transporters and return them to normal size again.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'd like an episode where everyone grows but only by like 15% so they'd be really good at basketball, then they have to hoop against a team of jem'hadar

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Great Beer posted:

nobody believes him, they think he's trying to gaslight them into giving him surgery to make him 10% larger. Maybe that can be the episode they give to lt cmdr Gen Rhys, make it a season arc even. Every episode he gets a little shorter, Michael can give him a speech about accepting his height and how everyone loves him even though he keeps lying about "used to being taller"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Should be a hospital ship IMO. Exploring strange, diseased worlds.

Star Trek - Doctor Pimple Popper

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'd like an episode where everyone grows but only by like 15% so they'd be really good at basketball, then they have to hoop against a team of jem'hadar

And you're all ballers on some kind of space jam...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

nobody believes him, they think he's trying to gaslight them into giving him surgery to make him 10% larger. Maybe that can be the episode they give to lt cmdr Gen Rhys, make it a season arc even. Every episode he gets a little shorter, Michael can give him a speech about accepting his height and how everyone loves him even though he keeps lying about "used to being taller"

Remember Me except instead of crew disappearing they're all getting smaller and having no memory of ever being bigger.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Boimler should grow by 5% every episode next season

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Probably will have more to say aboutt S2 DISCO tomorrow, but the absurd timeline of the final episode, and everything they try to show happening on Discovery in 50 minutes, feels like the writers letting us in on a joke.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Probably will have more to say aboutt S2 DISCO tomorrow, but the absurd timeline of the final episode, and everything they try to show happening on Discovery in 50 minutes, feels like the writers letting us in on a joke.

ok at least one more tonight...what a terrible battle sequence. You have the enterprise and a bunch of great CGI people and Anson Mount can talk like a captain. What a waste to fill the screen with poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

ok at least one more tonight...what a terrible battle sequence. You have the enterprise and a bunch of great CGI people and Anson Mount can talk like a captain. What a waste to fill the screen with poo poo.

What, you don't like capital ships sitting still with explosions between them while a bunch of starfighters weave about? But people loved that in Battlestar Galactica!! :confused:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brawnfire posted:

"She's got a nanoprobe... in her VAGINA"
It's more common than you think!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HD DAD posted:

That’s kinda the B-plot in the Voyager episode Parallax IIRC with the Doctor lol

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek: Holodeck

All episodes take place within the holodeck

No exceptions

Star Trek: Fantasy Island?

Then again they’d just get Cumberbatch for the Montalban role…

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Watching DISCO S3 before S2, I totally assumed that face-apparatus security lady had some prominent minor role in S2, that she got like 2-3 different scenes in S3 to be moopey about letting down the android lady officer. But she has like...5 lines the entire season? Less present than Tig Notaro, who's just popping in for guest spots?

Such a weird show at times. Like maybe there's just a ton of extended universe material out there and you're supposed to engage with DISCO like those movies that think you read a comic book first?

Anyways, other DISCO S2 thoughts

-I liked some of the early episodes and plots. They were fun. The Hiawatha rescue was fun, New Eden was doing some real meat-and-potatoes Trek (although I'm not really sure the Prime Directive applies? would have been interesting to actually get in to that!), the mushroom-ghost and Tilly was fun for an episode-and-a-half, and the Baul/Kelpian stuff was nice but could have been another episode to actually explain the details as opposed to hoping everyone fills in the gaps.

-I could even see the Control/Sphere plot working if they gave it a little time to make sense. But it's really rushed and so sloppy at times. Incredibly funny they hang a bow on all that mess by having Georgiou kill control right before they launch Discovery 900 years in the future. And like...that's one line to ADR in to fix. "Ahh poo poo Control's replicated itself on all these ships! Oh no!" but just...leave that hanging out.

-There's a really cool fight sequence in that season finale, where Yeoh and the control-guy are fighting in a corridor and the gravity starts going crazy so they're like rolling off the walls and ceiling, but not in a floaty wire-fu/matrix style, but more awkward like if gravity was really messing with them. It deserved its own episode basically, and not being shoved between all the crap they had to fit together in that episode

-That battle scene- I don't know why it happened both here and at the end of S1 Picard. Why the writers and producers keep writing "A million billion ships show up" on a whiteboard and then nobody says "actually that will suck". Maybe it's because they suck at their jobs? The only evidence I have of that is virtually everything else they've done so IDK.

-maybe DISCO would suck in the exact same way if you gave them 20-episode seasons, but both S2 and S3 really feel like writers trying to cram too much stuff in to 13 episodes and not coming close to pulling it off. Of course if they could also write normal dialogue, that might solve it too.

-Again, I really have to think the writers were trying to tell a joke in that second-to-last episode about how bad their pacing is. Discovery has 50 minutes until Control arrives. OK we need to charge a time crystal, build a suit, and ready all our defenses. Also, Sarek and Wife somehow show up in that time. Also we all need to say goodbye. Also, we're not saying goodbye. Also, we need to say goodbyes. At 3 minutes until battle starts, Ash Tyler is like "yo I have to go somewhere" and apparently makes it all the way to Quonos, gets L'rell, gets a bunch of ships, and flies back? With Kelpians? I mean come on there's got to be someone blinking twice to tell us they're tied up in Kurtzman's basement?

-You really get the sense that at least some thought DISCO was not getting renewed after this, right?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I heard that to get this glare out of Picardo, the director walked up to him, said he was the only good actor on the show, and immediately called Action.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

lol copy your post to paste it when you get to season 4 disco finale, same exact complaint applies

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

CPColin posted:

I heard that to get this glare out of Picardo, the director walked up to him, said he was the only good actor on the show, and immediately called Action.

Haven’t seen that picture in years.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Super Deuce posted:

Haven’t seen that picture in years.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Star Trek."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Watching DISCO S3 before S2, I totally assumed that face-apparatus security lady had some prominent minor role in S2, that she got like 2-3 different scenes in S3 to be moopey about letting down the android lady officer. But she has like...5 lines the entire season? Less present than Tig Notaro, who's just popping in for guest spots?
Nhan and Jett Reno are completely wasted season after season. I understand they are working with Tig's schedule, but I don't get how they handled Nhan.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nichael posted:

Nhan and Jett Reno are completely wasted season after season. I understand they are working with Tig's schedule, but I don't get how they handled Nhan.

I wish there was more Jett Reno because who doesn't want more Tig, but also I sort of like that they decided that Tig Notaro's big cameo character is just this like borderline anonymous engineer whose big thing is to show up and annoy Stamets.

But Nhan, Owo, Detmer...the writers seem like they've come with reasonably interesting characters and then never really give them screen time but wink at us like "oh...don't you wish you'd see a whole scene with them??". Like in S4, there's an episode where they have to evacuate a colony. Easily a story that could have not involved Burnham at all- it really did nothing for her or the plot. But instead they have the character who has a whole "making sure everyone survives a natural disaster is a big deal to me, I saw one destroy my village as a kid" is shunted offscreen. Just so weird.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I wish there was more Jett Reno because who doesn't want more Tig, but also I sort of like that they decided that Tig Notaro's big cameo character is just this like borderline anonymous engineer whose big thing is to show up and annoy Stamets.

But Nhan, Owo, Detmer...the writers seem like they've come with reasonably interesting characters and then never really give them screen time but wink at us like "oh...don't you wish you'd see a whole scene with them??". Like in S4, there's an episode where they have to evacuate a colony. Easily a story that could have not involved Burnham at all- it really did nothing for her or the plot. But instead they have the character who has a whole "making sure everyone survives a natural disaster is a big deal to me, I saw one destroy my village as a kid" is shunted offscreen. Just so weird.

Also the initial reason for writing off Nhan didn't make much sense. She's piloting a dead seed vault, except a year later she isn't?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nichael posted:

Also the initial reason for writing off Nhan didn't make much sense. She's piloting a dead seed vault, except a year later she isn't?

A year later and dilithium and warp travel wasn't a scarce resource.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nichael posted:

Yeah it’s one of those things where the writers seem to think they’ve explained the concept but if they did I and a bunch of people missed it.

Like is it a time based stewardship? Or she needed to guide the ship to its next destination? And then she goes to her home planet but gets bored I guess?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Each race in the Federation had stewardship of the vault for a period of time on a rota, she left to see out her people's custody.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

But when she comes back she makes it sound like she didn’t fit in with her people anymore? It didn’t sound like it had anything to do with the mission or travel times, which idk maybe wrapped up really quickly?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It sounded like she didn't want to tell her people that she was their ancestor as they would act all reverent to her, but it was like two lines then they moved on. I am also annoyed they short-changed her character but I can understand if the actress left as they were doing nothing with her (not sure of the actual situation). I just finished the episode where they cross the galactic barrier and that would be maybe one act in any other show but was somehow an entire episode.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Nullsmack posted:

Star Trek: M*A*S*H and Georgiou just kinda shows up every once in a while in a colonel Flagg type role.

Ahahaha omg, that could work SO WELL

CPColin posted:

I can greatly appreciate this post.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Nhan successfully handed off the Tikhov to the next member world in the rotation, went home, felt disconnected from society, decided to return to the Federation because she didn't feel like she was doing anything worthwhile on Barzan, got assigned to help clean up Emerald Chain remnants, and at one point lost half her team because she hesitated to make a tough call, and we find this all out in like 3 lines and 45 seconds

It's yet another example of Disco's weird-rear end pacing where we get these peeks into a more interesting show every once in a while, floating in a shiny beige sea of thoughtful looks and corridor walks

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Chairman posted:

Nhan successfully handed off the Tikhov to the next member world in the rotation, went home, felt disconnected from society, decided to return to the Federation because she didn't feel like she was doing anything worthwhile on Barzan, got assigned to help clean up Emerald Chain remnants, and at one point lost half her team because she hesitated to make a tough call, and we find this all out in like 3 lines and 45 seconds

It's yet another example of Disco's weird-rear end pacing where we get these peeks into a more interesting show every once in a while, floating in a shiny beige sea of thoughtful looks and corridor walks

I'm holding strong on not watching season 1, but I'd really like to know if any of Andriod Lt. Lady's backstory was shown there, or if the episode where she turns evil and dies is the first time any of that stuff- including that like her fiancé died w/ her in some sort of accident and she got transplanted in to a robot body- is even hinted at.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 28, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm holding strong on not watching season 1, but I'd really like to know if any of Andriod Lt. Lady's backstory was shown there, or if the episode where she turns evil and dies is the first time any of that stuff- including that like she fiancé died w/ her in some sort of accident and she got transplanted in to a robot body- is even hinted at.

What does your heart tell you?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm holding strong on not watching season 1, but I'd really like to know if any of Andriod Lt. Lady's backstory was shown there, or if the episode where she turns evil and dies is the first time any of that stuff- including that like she fiancé died w/ her in some sort of accident and she got transplanted in to a robot body- is even hinted at.

Nope. Everything was in that single episode. I don't know if they even mentioned her name in season 1.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. Everything was in that single episode. I don't know if they even mentioned her name in season 1.

This show is written by sickos!!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It was like a character intro episode except she died at the end of it.

"You know that B-character? Here's a glimpse of her perspective.

Which is gone, forever. Ha-ha."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

They do a whole funeral sequence for her the next episode. These people deserve to be in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They do a whole funeral sequence for her the next episode. These people deserve to be in jail.

Is the funeral really for her though?