Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Velocity Raptor posted:

Biden has proposed a new income tax for wealthy americans for next year's budget.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/03/28/biden-budget-billionaires-tax-police/7186071001/

Unfortunately, I can't find more details than that. The other two sources that I can find (that are reputable) are paywalled.

While I don't agree with the increase spending in both police and military, I posted this because I wanted to talk about the wealth tax.

20% seems like a really low income tax to hit multi-millionaires with. I mean, it'll be great if it is able to curb some of the loopholing most businesses do to pay nothing, or even get rebates, but I pay around 30-35% in taxes. Hopefully there is more to this that I don't know about or understand, but this feels like doing the minimum to appear like he's doing something to mollify the masses, but not really affecting the rich. "Normal" people will still be paying more in taxes than the rich will.

The President's budget is basically a messaging document that will get put in the dumpster by Congress immediately.

It's a a minimum tax and not a maximum tax.

Also, you have to be making a lot of money through a salary (in the mid six-figure range) if you actually do have an effective income tax rate of 35%. Are you sure you're not just counting the top bracket or just adding the top rates for all taxes (including non-federal income) together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Of all the pop media to provide a template for the collapse of America, I would never have guessed The Slap

Velocity Raptor posted:

20% seems like a really low income tax to hit multi-millionaires with. I mean, it'll be great if it is able to curb some of the loopholing most businesses do to pay nothing, or even get rebates, but I pay around 30-35% in taxes. Hopefully there is more to this that I don't know about or understand, but this feels like doing the minimum to appear like he's doing something to mollify the masses, but not really affecting the rich. "Normal" people will still be paying more in taxes than the rich will.

It's nothing compared to the soaking the rich deserve, and it's not a wealth tax, but in practical terms it's probably a big hike for people with creative accountants

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

Imagine. Can you imagine it? I can't stop imagining it. Complete humiliation. The undisguised disdain as she looks at me and I know, that in her eyes I am no longer a man.

This is some weirdass posting

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The President's budget is basically a messaging document that will get put in the dumpster by Congress immediately.

Also, you have to be making a lot of money through a salary (in the mid six-figure range) if you actually do have an effective income tax rate of 35%. Are you sure you're not just counting the top bracket or just adding the top rates for all taxes (including non-federal income) together?

I could be calculating my tax bracket wrong, it's very possible. I took the net and compared it to my net pay minus my taxes (both state and federal, admittedly).

fake edit; I was doing it wrong. I googled Tax Bracket for [my state] and it says my effective tax rate is 26%. Still potentially more than what the rich could be paying. I'm assuming they'd have their accountants figure out some fuckery to only have to pay the minimum.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm starting to think trying to slot every last thing that happens into a political ideology or framework is a bad idea

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calibanibal posted:

Imagine. Can you imagine it? I can't stop imagining it. Complete humiliation. The undisguised disdain as she looks at me and I know, that in her eyes I am no longer a man.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Desperately searching for an easily accessible clip of the relevant "I Think You Should Leave" sketch but coming up empty.

(If you don't know the sketch you're just gonna have to watch all of "I Think You Should Leave," you're welcome.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2022

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Sharkie posted:

You should check Cal's history for more insight on their whole ... thing. It's a fun schtick.

I think this whole thing is a pretty good reflection of what happened when trump made fun of JEB!'s wife (his mother, maybe? who cares, they all suck) in front of him and everyone clowned on JEB for being a big sad loser who went and shook trump's hand after that little show. As a culture we like it when people make risque jokes about other people, and we also like it when those same people get slapped in the face for it. Some of y'all are more dogmatic about your approach to violence and its applications, and that's cool too.

But just imagine a world where JEB! had sucker punched trump in the face at that debate. Ah, the world we could have had...

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No one, and I mean no one, is defending Rock's joke. Like among the millions of takes surrounding this, that is the one you will not see anywhere. What we adults are discussing is whether or not Smith was justified in physically assaulting someone for the joke(he wasn't). Let me know when you're ready to join that conversation.

Yeah, you are. You wouldn’t need to restate and minimize what the joke was about if you weren’t.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've had complete strangers mock me and take pictures/videos of me to, I presume, post and laugh about on social media because I walk my dog using a harness that attaches her to me at my waist. On the part that goes around my waist is essentially a fanny pack - it contains a card with my wife's phone number, my primary care physician's office number, and a note saying that I suffer from epilepsy and what to do if someone finds me in crisis. You don't know what people are going through, so maybe don't run your loving mouth about the bald lady or the fat guy with a fanny pack because you think it's OK to tear down someone's appearance that way.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

I've had complete strangers mock me and take pictures/videos of me to, I presume, post and laugh about on social media because I walk my dog using a harness that attaches her to me at my waist. On the part that goes around my waist is essentially a fanny pack - it contains a card with my wife's phone number, my primary care physician's office number, and a note saying that I suffer from epilepsy and what to do if someone finds me in crisis. You don't know what people are going through, so maybe don't run your loving mouth about the bald lady or the fat guy with a fanny pack because you think it's OK to tear down someone's appearance that way.

Dr. King wanted better from you.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sharkie posted:

Dr. King wanted better from you.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

Yeah, you are. You wouldn’t need to restate and minimize what the joke was about if you weren’t.

It's not "minimizing" the joke to push back against the assertion that what Chris Rock said was "no different from racist jokes" or that it's a necessary step on the road to genocide.

Quote where I did what you're accusing me of doing. It helps keep the conversation honest.

It's wild that "guys stop lying about what I'm posting" is met with an accusation that I myself am lying - without at least pointing to the supposed lie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Riptor posted:

Its all weird rear end posting. Stop posting about posters, jesus.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its all weird rear end posting.

New title.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Today I learned the Oscars delivered an award for calling people with auto immune disorders the n word and endorsed a policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah it’s pretty telling that the Dems had performative poo poo fit about the “Trump Tax Cuts” being passed through reconciliation and then did gently caress all with they got into power to just even reverse it, let alone actually fix the income inequality.

I don’t have any hopes of something meaningful passing without a million caveats or loopholes.

Mellow Seas posted:

(If you don't know the sketch you're just gonna have to watch all of "I Think You Should Leave," you're welcome.)

Everyone should go watch “I think you should leave” instead of defending some wealthy individuals on some dumb bullshit.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 28, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Done.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

President Kucinich posted:

Today I learned the Oscars delivered an award for calling people with auto immune disorders the n word and endorsed a policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Well they had to. You wouldn't want them to become obsolete like E3, would you? It's about ethics in media awards ceremonies.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Stop caring what dipshit celebrities do at their dumb Hollywood circlejerk.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Never! I'll care about the Oscars each year and you can't stop me.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

ReidRansom posted:

All year it's tik tok trends I don't understand and child slave laborists going viral because 'people these days just don't want to work'

One monday morning I wake up and two celebrities I actually recognize got in a slap fight, jesus christ just let me have my coffee and enjoy this for a minute.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone wants to see will smith get charged your first step will have to be sitting down the LAPD and patiently explaining to them that beating up a black guy is illegal

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

It's a poignant indication

that the creeping threat to free speech has moved off of college campuses and social media to the real world

(yes that quote is out of context, it was about the inevitable NYT editorial to that effect). To be fair, neither the current reporting nor, surprisingly, the comments on it have gone in that direction... yet.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
::I Support Ukraine Profile Pic::
The violence of slapping is completely unacceptable to me morally

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotta admit that for a while I found myself wondering what the perception would be if, instead of Chris Rock, the slappee was...oh....let's say Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell. Trying to think of a relatively well liked white comedian actor. A part of me thinks the narrative might have been a little different if you know what I'm saying.

I see what you mean and agree with your premise, but those aren’t fair comparisons. Both comedians are harmless compared to rock who is known to frequently roast celebrities in personal ways.

The closest I can think of as a comparison would be Ricky Gervais but even that wouldn’t be a fair comparison since Gervais is even more extreme than Rock.

Mellow Seas posted:

Desperately searching for an easily accessible clip of the relevant "I Think You Should Leave" sketch but coming up empty.

Lol.
Yeah that sketch is relevant.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's not even the pretense that the Biden administration wants to close down the child concentration camps. they're running at full inhumanity down there

This did not appear to be the case last October or so. CBP custody times had been shortened to "actually almost tolerable" and ORR had mostly closed, or at least reduced to 'warm' status, their overflow facilities (the places people enjoy calling child concentration camps). This also did not appear to be a simple matter of reclassification. Fort Bliss was the largest overflow facility and also poorly run, and was not afaict simply renamed to a different sort of facility while retaining the abuses and lack of supply.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This did not appear to be the case last October or so. CBP custody times had been shortened to "actually almost tolerable" and ORR had mostly closed, or at least reduced to 'warm' status, their overflow facilities (the places people enjoy calling child concentration camps). This also did not appear to be a simple matter of reclassification. Fort Bliss was the largest overflow facility and also poorly run, and was not afaict simply renamed to a different sort of facility while retaining the abuses and lack of supply.

I could swear I recall Ft. Bliss being announced last June as a kiddy kamp that would be closed soon only to see it changed to "at some point in the future" by July.

Is there still a kiddy kamp there or not? Your use of the past tense has me confused.

Also, it wasn't just "poorly run"; it was subbed out to flood-remediation serv-pro franchisees to administer.

Weird how there's been no media or legal first-hand reports (nor performative congressional tears) for the last six months or so.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

An investigation into Hunter Biden's unpaid taxes that started under Obama, was expanded by Trump to include corruption and bribery, and then expanded again under Biden to include unpaid child support based on underreported income, is moving forward on the probe of his taxes.

quote:

A federal tax investigation into Hunter Biden is gaining momentum as prosecutors gather information from several of his associates about the sources of his foreign income, including from Ukraine, and examine President Biden’s son’s relationship with a company that handled some of his finances, according to people familiar with the matter.

In recent weeks, prosecutors from the U.S. attorney’s office in Delaware have sought information and grand-jury testimony about the money Mr. Biden received several years ago from Ukrainian natural-gas company Burisma Holdings Ltd., and how he used that money to pay some obligations, one of those people said. A Grand jury heard witness testimony in February about past drug use and the spending habits of president’s son.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prosecutors-advance-tax-probe-of-hunter-biden-11648465200

The corruption and bribery charges were determined to not have any evidence behind them, but the Delaware District Attorney overseeing the case has subpoenaed testimony and documents about Hunter Biden's drug use, state of mind, and finances from 2014 to 2019. The Delaware DA worked in the office (under several different DAs) during the George W. Bush and Obama eras and was appointed as DA and put in charge of the office by Trump. He has said he is staying on until he finishes the case.

Hunter paid his $1 million in owed taxes, interest, back child support, and penalties off last month, but that doesn't preclude him from getting charged criminally for tax evasion or money laundering. The other charge they are considering is failing to register as a foreign lobbyist, but they need to prove he intentionally failed to register or tried to avoid it and they don't currently have any conclusive evidence of intent.

Criminal tax charges are possible, but it may end up as a civil penalty with fines and a requirement to register as a foreign lobbyist if he earns any income from outside of the U.S.

The investigation also includes two other people who were business partners with Hunter Biden.

quote:

Over the last two years, federal prosecutors in Delaware have issued scores of subpoenas for documents related to Hunter Biden’s foreign work and for bank accounts linked to him and his associates, including two formerly close business partners, Eric Schwerin and Devon Archer, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Ironically, his laptop contained evidence that seems to clear him of the potential lobbying charges:

quote:

In some of the emails, Mr. Biden displayed a familiarity with FARA, and a desire to avoid triggering it.

In one email to Mr. Archer in April 2014, Mr. Biden outlined his vision for working with Burisma. In the email, Hunter Biden indicated that the forthcoming announcement of a trip to Ukraine by Vice President Biden — who is referred to in the email as “my guy,” but not by name — should “be characterized as part of our advice and thinking — but what he will say and do is out of our hands.”

The announcement “could be a really good thing or it could end up creating too great an expectation. We need to temper expectations regarding that visit,” Hunter Biden wrote.

quote:

In the same April 2014 email, Hunter Biden indicated that Burisma’s officials “need to know in no uncertain terms that we will not and cannot intervene directly with domestic policymakers, and that we need to abide by FARA and any other U.S. laws in the strictest sense across the board.”

If they do decide to bring criminal charges and successfully convict on tax evasion, then he could get up to 5 years in prison. The WSJ and NYT articles say that the probe is looking for more evidence, but if they don't find any, then it is unlikely that they would bring criminal charges because the IRS rarely brings criminal charges for tax evasion when someone has paid their back taxes and money laundering charges are generally brought in conjunction with other charges. There could possibly be a very strong civil case against Hunter, though.

quote:

The investigation, which began as a tax inquiry under the Obama administration, widened in 2018 to include possible criminal violations of tax laws, as well as foreign lobbying and money laundering rules, according to the people familiar with the inquiry.

But prosecutors face a number of hurdles to bringing criminal charges, the people familiar with the investigation said, including proving that Mr. Biden intentionally violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act, or FARA, which requires disclosure to the Justice Department of lobbying or public relations assistance on behalf of foreign clients.

The Justice Department has given no public indication that it has made decisions about any element of the case, and Mr. Biden has not been charged with any crime.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/us/politics/hunter-biden-tax-bill-investigation.html

So, the Hunter Biden saga is probably going to end up disappointing for everyone. Hunter probably did do something wrong involving Burisma (not reporting all of his income for tax and child support purposes), but all the stuff about firing Ukraine's prosecutor, intervening politically, and the laptop containing evidence of corruption will probably turn out to be false.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Why can’t people just laugh about one millionaire slapping another millionaire? Why does Discourse have to be made? Especially when some of that discourse veers into racist territory (gently caress you Judd Apatow).

Just laugh about it. It’s hilarious and the most entertaining the Oscars have been in decades.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Sharkie posted:

Calling your partner a scumsucking shitbag and watching you calmly say this to their face lol.

That'll go over real well in the following days and nights and years of yalls relationship. They'll definitely respect your commitment to nonviolence lmao

A commitment to non-violence in your personal life is not about gaining the approval of others. It's about adhering to a value set that allows you to respect yourself, even if those around you feel hurt or let down at times. And even then, maintaining non-violence does not mean you are disallowed from expressing emotion and defending your loved one with words or alternative actions

Please note, I'm not stating that non-violence is the "ideal" value set a person should hold. I'm just pushing back on the idea that your values (whatever they may be) should be chosen (or altered) based on their ability to reduce conflict in your personal relationships. That's the slow road towards unhappiness and feeling lost.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bishyaler posted:

::I Support Ukraine Profile Pic::
The violence of slapping is completely unacceptable to me morally

I'm generally fine with what Will Smith did and don't really get a lot of the hand-wringing over it, but "Lookit this guy who believes in shooting back at fascist invaders but not taking a swing when a comedian roasts rich celebrities" probably isn't the devastating own you think it is.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
And for me, people getting all flustered about The Slaps but then turn around and celebrate sanctions on other countries, is infuriating. These same people will be quiet at other forms of violence I.e. homelessness, lack of healthcare, food insecurity, child poverty, and so on. But one millionaire slaps another? Oh my god, he’s just like Putin and Trump! It’s giving me flashbacks to my abusive dad and such. Blah blah blah.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Tbf though, I bet ppl would be tweeting a lot today if will Smith had slapped a sandwich out of a starving child's hands on stage at the Oscars.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have brought you all something even worse to discuss.

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1508506135212474376?s=20&t=Isg7GFxl8zpRouh1EOrFrA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kind of interesting to see a poll directly test the NIMBY vs. YIMBY housing questions against each other.

Although, the NIMBY position may actually be even more popular than the poll indicates because a lot of the problem with NIMBY stuff is that everyone is good with it in theory until they actually have to make a choice about it in their neighborhood.

Most surprising thing: White and black respondents (despite white people being more likely to be Republican and black people more likely to be Democratic) don't have a huge difference in their desire to protect property values at all costs. Both of them generally support it. But, Hispanics do have a large difference from everyone else for some reason.

No demographic group, except for Hispanics, gets a majority in favor of the more housing position.

Not surprising, but funny: Republicans are the group least likely to support property rights in this scenario.

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1508494987696254978

The same poll also polled some "neoliberal" policy positions and basically came to the conclusion that Americans generally like the environment, but hate refugees.

They are also pretty evenly divided on cash payments to parents, nuclear power, and free trade.

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1508493398675755011

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2022

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

theCalamity posted:

And for me, people getting all flustered about The Slaps but then turn around and celebrate sanctions on other countries, is infuriating. These same people will be quiet at other forms of violence I.e. homelessness, lack of healthcare, food insecurity, child poverty, and so on. But one millionaire slaps another? Oh my god, he’s just like Putin and Trump! It’s giving me flashbacks to my abusive dad and such. Blah blah blah.

And some of the people opposing all sanctions because of the violence they can cause will shrug about an imperialistic country (not the USA in this case, for once) killing people in a neighboring country. What’s your point?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 28, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

lol he got that one from a batshit lady in texas who was running for minor office.

who probably got trolled by some kid who's very loving smug right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

He's trying to figure out how he gets in on this catboy nonsense.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Given that having a college degree - literally any degree, even the most "useless" majors - increases lifetime earnings by over $1 million and women are outnumbering men at college by almost 50% now, I expect you will see this trend start to increase dramatically soon.

It's going to be result in a weird situation where you have a subset of wealth inequality in different geographic regions. Urban areas with large educated populations are going to see women start to out earn men by larger and larger amounts, but rural areas with low education rates and a higher number of people in trades (usually higher paid and dominated by men) are going to see men continue to out earn women and increase the gap there.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1508448778424049665

There was a discussion about this a decade ago in D.C. when a city council woman complained about how it was getting increasingly difficult for black women in the city to date black men of similar education and socioeconomic levels because ~70% of black people with degrees in D.C. were women and men were falling behind.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kind of interesting to see a poll directly test the NIMBY vs. YIMBY housing questions against each other.

I find it odd to lump categories like "accepting refugees" as neoliberal, but looking at that poll it is little wonder why so many "safe" Democratic voters are embracing the new right.