Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Moana’s a nearly perfect movie for the first two thirds but definitely starts running out of steam post-crab song

I know why the cast The Rock (he’s the most famous big man, has Polynesian ancestry) but the dude has a flat boring voice and he can’t sing. Just cast a voice actor. Good movie though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sickening posted:

I for one took Will Smith's laugh as not "hey this was funny" but "What did this mother fucker just really say?". The eyes didn't seem to be laughing.

thats a laugh where you know poo poo is about to go down

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drunkboxer posted:

I know why the cast The Rock (he’s the most famous big man, has Polynesian ancestry) but the dude has a flat boring voice and he can’t sing. Just cast a voice actor. Good movie though

You're Welcome is such a good song though and somehow just works.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
kind of incredible that the milquetoast best picture winner has faded into obscurity overnight

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

kind of incredible that the milquetoast best picture winner has faded into obscurity overnight

But enough about Nomadland/Green Book/The Shape of Water/etc.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Cacator posted:

But enough about Nomadland/Green Book/The Shape of Water/etc.

the shape of water doesn't deserve this op

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
When Moana came out I bored some friends with my screed about how You're Welcome would be less effective with a talented singer performing it. The kind of fame and adoration that surrounds a massive star like The Rock is probably not all that dissimilar from how the protagonists in oral histories would have been viewed throughout history. Especially with one of the character's main traits in the film being his active participation in his own myth-making, which dovetails nicely with The Rock's own history of carefully cultivating his personal brand. It's inspired casting, and it helps sell You're Welcome as this playfully self-aggrandizing song from the world's most popular clout chaser.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 28, 2022

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
But for real, what was that joke where one of the presenters groped Jason Momoa and other? Or a “i know you are legal” joke. I feel like those awkward moments would’ve gotten more play if it weren’t for you know…

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I do get why people hate the Oscars because it is long, self-congratulatory bullshit. But when you've got stuff like the Moonlight/La La Land mix-up, the gently caress-up with the Chadwick Boseman Oscar and now The Slap it's hard not to love it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

the shape of water doesn't deserve this op

I actually think it's one of Del Toro's better movies but I'd also say half of the nominees that year were more deserving

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Cacator posted:

I actually think it's one of Del Toro's better movies but I'd also say half of the nominees that year were more deserving

It was a fun win because it was the fish-loving movie, and I liked it better than at least half of the other nominees, which is about as good as you can hope for with the Oscars.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
My favorite moment was when they played off a guy, but then he just came back to the mic to say his thanks after the play off music stopped. King poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The slap was a good thing because the discourse around it broke everyone’s brains.

https://twitter.com/AllieRedux/status/1508326597228699650?s=20&t=tqo8TiHcQwGF0Lhj5USgPg

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Baronash posted:

When Moana came out I bored some friends with my screed about how You're Welcome would be less effective with a talented singer performing it. The kind of fame and adoration that surrounds a massive star like The Rock is probably not all that dissimilar from how the protagonists in oral histories would have been viewed throughout history. Especially with one of the character's main traits in the film being his active participation in his own myth-making, which dovetails nicely with The Rock's own history of carefully cultivating his personal brand. It's inspired casting, and it helps sell You're Welcome as this playfully self-aggrandizing song from the world's most popular clout chaser.

That’s an interesting point but I think it would have been better if it had been better.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
lol are there people seriously defending a guy hitting another guy over a lovely hack joke made at his wife's expense? That's like the definition of toxic masculinity.

The joke was punching down but it wasn't that bad. Smith came across as a thin skinned psycho.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

LionArcher posted:

The slap was a good thing because the discourse around it broke everyone’s brains.

https://twitter.com/AllieRedux/status/1508326597228699650?s=20&t=tqo8TiHcQwGF0Lhj5USgPg

Yeah the problem is that the Slap was all in all actually a pretty mundane event with not much to say about it but everyone needs to have A Take

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Women slap people too. Slapping is gender neutral

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Slapping should only be done in the confines of your NBC miniseries starring Zachary Quinto and Peter Sarsgaard

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

lol are there people seriously defending a guy hitting another guy over a lovely hack joke made at his wife's expense? That's like the definition of toxic masculinity.

The joke was punching down but it wasn't that bad. Smith came across as a thin skinned psycho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEegoOwZE4E

hes in his toxic masculinity era ok

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rock just wanted to tell a knee slapper, poor guy

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It will be a dark day when future cleans up.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
imo will smith should not have slapped chris rock

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Probably not, but it's still funny. People genuinely mad and demanding Will Smith get arrested and have his Oscar revoked are being ridic

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I'm gonna slap the next person who says 'toxic masculinity'.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

imo will smith should not have slapped chris rock

He shouldn't have, but he did and I get why he did. Sam Jackson gets it too:

https://twitter.com/beansontoastpls/status/1508391770115170307

Lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roth posted:

Probably not, but it's still funny. People genuinely mad and demanding Will Smith get arrested and have his Oscar revoked are being ridic

will smith must star in wild wild west 2 as penance for slapping chris rock

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

will smith must star in wild wild west 2 as penance for slapping chris rock

This is an acceptable trade.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If the slap was the only way to obtain the location of a terrorist bomb in time, it would have been justified. On the other hand, if the slappee had been holding a nuke it could have detonated, leveling a major city.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If the slap was the only way to obtain the location of a terrorist bomb in time, it would have been justified. On the other hand, if the slappee had been holding a nuke it could have detonated, leveling a major city.

I smell a :twentyfour:/Naked Gun 3 crossover!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There was definitely like a 5 minute period where I thought Will Smith had slapped The Rock

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
imagine if a moment of Scientology Brain* leads to a golden age of people remembering that they can get slapped for talking poo poo. what a world

*a phenomenon I just invented to account for the fearlessness and general negation of social norms demonstrated by rich Scientologists and Scientology-adjacent people; see also Tom Cruise's whole deal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whichever comedian does the roasting next year is going to be loving insufferable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Philosophy Classes are feasting right now

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ridley Scott’s film The Last Duel was snubbed by the Oscar’s so Will and Chris recreated it live. The GI Jane reference was an Easter egg for the true fans.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
get your bets for next year in now, I just put 50 on Keanu Reeves chokeslamming Chris Pratt through the stage during the Best Supporting Actor announcement (and winning Best Actor for it)

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

I'd better assault Chris Rock so my wife doesn't notice I laughed at her sickness. Maybe later I can claim tonight as a victory for civil rights.

Also making 100% sure everyone keeps making jokes about my b*ld wife for years in fact.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chris rock out there referencing forgotten classics like GI Jane and getting slapped for it smh

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Baronash posted:

100% agree.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Will Smith is such a shameless self-promoter so this was probably all set up, with Chris Rock in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Roth posted:

You have no idea how hot these takes are getting:

https://twitter.com/dremilyportermd/status/1508449997641109509

https://twitter.com/JNelsonLDF/status/1508293347068293124

https://twitter.com/sarge__msu/status/1508471208249077764