Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can still fly between the US and Kazakhstan, and then fly to Russia. You can't book the Nur-Sultan-Saint Petersburg leg in the US though, you have to do that once you're in KZ. Then it's one train to Petrazavodsk! Sounds like a fun trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A major Hollywood studio should give David Wain a 200 million dollar budget to make whatever movie he wants

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Will Smith was right, and I do hope that this signals a cultural change where people are more accepting of punching comedians on stage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For years, comedians have been like, "The comedy stage is a sacred space, comedians need to be able to try out edgy new material without fear of repercussions, if people don't like what I say that's a societal problem." and society as a whole never agreed to that. We never said comedians can say whatever they want.

So its time for a corrective. Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Comedians can still go on stage and talk about how gypsies aren't people or some kinds of women aren't as good as others, but if someone in the audience doesn't like it guess what you're getting laid the gently caress out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
to paraphrase Chris Rock “he shouldn’t have done it… but I understand”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's hilarious how many comedians without one iota of Chris Rock's success are now acting like they fear for their lives while Rock himself took it like a champ and kept rolling.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

For years, comedians have been like, "The comedy stage is a sacred space, comedians need to be able to try out edgy new material without fear of repercussions, if people don't like what I say that's a societal problem." and society as a whole never agreed to that. We never said comedians can say whatever they want.

So its time for a corrective. Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Comedians can still go on stage and talk about how gypsies aren't people or some kinds of women aren't as good as others, but if someone in the audience doesn't like it guess what you're getting laid the gently caress out.

Yeah but that would create a comedy arms race

Comedians all roided out and training every day

The average comedian now has a body fat percentage in the single digits and a record in amateur mma

They say the most offensive poo poo imaginable waiting for some pissbaby whiner to get up on stage

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

They say the most offensive poo poo imaginable waiting for someanother pissbaby whiner to get up on stage

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I liked that it happened because the slap was funny.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gripweed posted:

But we as an audience / society can literally or figuratively boo them off stage, write about them, comment, talk about it, cancel them. We don't need to have a Champion be the manifestation of all our frustrations who will physically attack the person.

I also don't think the joke was that bad. Admittedly, I'm not suffering from such an ailment as JPS, but -- to just copy+paste something I said from another thread: I would rather someone make a joke about my medical condition than for everyone to either pretend it's not there or awkwardly, sorrowfully saturate me with sympathy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

credburn posted:

But we as an audience / society can literally or figuratively boo them off stage, write about them, comment, talk about it, cancel them.

yeah and now we can slap them

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

yeah and now we can slap them

Who is "we" in this sentence

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah but that would create a comedy arms race

Comedians all roided out and training every day

The average comedian now has a body fat percentage in the single digits and a record in amateur mma

They say the most offensive poo poo imaginable waiting for some pissbaby whiner to get up on stage

Everything’s coming up Carrot Top!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manager Hoyden posted:

Who is "we" in this sentence

Everyone. Every last one of us, God bless us all.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That's a lot of slaps

It seems like the whole idea would run into time constraints at that point

Just four billion able-bodied adults lined up outside a shithouse LA comedy club

It is illegal for the queue to cross state lines so it curves around up to norcal then back down again to the bay area

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: LA stands for Lousiane not the city not to be named, give it back

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Everything’s coming up Carrot Top!

I came here to make that joke only to be shamefully beaten like Chris Rock.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if the opinion is unpopular or not, but talk poo poo get hit is a rule as old as animals have had the capacity for vocalization

Man was not meant to suppress the laws of nature

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PHUO (not directed at the conversation ITT): I'm already sick and tired of the Will Smith slap. It's less than 24 hours old and it's already as played out as the "is this dress blue or gold?" thing from a few years back. Rich guy slapped another rich guy...who gives a poo poo?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remembered when some American rapper hit a guy in Sweden and promptly got arrested and then everyone got to do the whole "how can it be illegal to hit someone who deserves it?!?!!?" song and dance.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Honestly all anyone slapping a scandinavian deserves is pat on the back and a free beer

Maybe a medal depending on how funny the sound of the slap was

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Honestly all anyone slapping a scandinavian deserves is pat on the back and a free beer

Maybe a medal depending on how funny the sound of the slap was

Ask the guy he slapped, Mustafa Jafari.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why would one ask that person anything

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why would one ask that person anything

He heard it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Slapping scandinavians is well and good but the dude he attacked was a teenaged refugee from Afghanistan.

I'm inclined to not side with a 30-year-old who goes by "A$AP Rocky" and needs an entourage to beat a 19-year-old.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's got some good songs. Never dropped his Collab with Tyler tho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The whole slap thing shows just how hosed social media and the predatory companies feeding it are, especially towards black men. I listened to an Oscar recap podcast and the person on it was talking about will smith's language in his speech and comparing it to people who abuse their partners and poo poo. America expects these people to just be totally stoic and good natured, and never react with any emotion even when people continuously harass them and their families. Then if they react suddenly they're abusers or stalkers or crazy, trying to tell them to "know their place". Think about how many people are coming at Will for a single slap vs how many fell on their swords to defend Alec Baldwin when he murdered someone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The discourse is going to take a turn when people remember that Chris Rock made a whole movie entirely dedicated to the argument that black women are doing their hair wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Let’s be fair: Alec Baldwin manslaughtered someone; it’s legally different

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

The whole slap thing shows just how hosed social media and the predatory companies feeding it are, especially towards black men. I listened to an Oscar recap podcast and the person on it was talking about will smith's language in his speech and comparing it to people who abuse their partners and poo poo. America expects these people to just be totally stoic and good natured, and never react with any emotion even when people continuously harass them and their families. Then if they react suddenly they're abusers or stalkers or crazy, trying to tell them to "know their place". Think about how many people are coming at Will for a single slap vs how many fell on their swords to defend Alec Baldwin when he murdered someone.

The Will Smith discourse is stupid as all hell. Especially when it's loving Will Smith. Oh no, the black man said bad words! This is the collapse of our civilization!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
In my experience physical violence almost always comes from insecurity or fear, so my assessment is either Will or Jada isn't secure with how she looks or Will Smith is afraid of Chris Rock.

All in all I think it's funny and "no big deal" either way. At the end of the day it's that same as any other husband smacking any other guy for making a crack about their wife. None of us really have any dog in that fight so none of our opinions ultimately matter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Robobot posted:

In my experience physical violence almost always comes from insecurity or fear, so my assessment is either Will or Jada isn't secure with how she looks or Will Smith is afraid of Chris Rock.

Yeah, she has a disease that made her hair fall out and she's insecure about it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s not entirely uncommon for black women to go entirely or partially bald and a lot of women feel pretty bad about it when it happens. I know Jada Pinkett Smith has talked about how she’s struggled with her self-image because of it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

OTOH celebrities are grotesquely rich puppet people and parading for our entertainment is their pound of flesh fair and square

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Strategic Tea posted:

OTOH celebrities are grotesquely rich puppet people and parading for our entertainment is their pound of flesh fair and square

That’s a pretty hosed up way to view other human beings!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Seven pounds

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: I never ever want to hear a north american or west euro leftist comment about the USSR or especially Ukraine ever again. Watching my wife who was born in the fuckin USSR and is now having daily cries about the current state of Russia read some twitter take about Putin's Legitimate Security Concerns and cry again is the worst thing in my life. I brought politics to the PHUO thread, fuckin sue me, she's about to be home and I'm about to watch her cry and then start crying myself because brave comrades love a fascist state.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
In a dark club a bald man sits smoking. The height of his career is well behind him, he walked away from it and has no regrets. It was the right decision for him. He now lives in a small town in the midwest where he can live his truth. This isn't a comeback tour, he's an elder statesman just doing the round. He's there to build up other comedians, to make the next generation. But it is his first time he's been in an American city with a population that can be measured in the millions in a while. He'd tested this act in Bishkek and he knew it would kill.

He opens, "I've been around a lot of places. Spent some time in the England, you may have heard about it" The audience laughs because there was a minor scandal while he was there -- a comedy of errors involving a sex worker's age. He takes a drag on his cigarette, "They call these things," he smokes again, "something I call a lot of people I met when I was in Hollywood. Live and let live but let's face it some of them are out there. I call them the El Gee Bee and then there are the Tees where they cut their . . ."

And in this alternate reality someone jumps on stage and slaps him in his mouth. Maybe he decides that isn't a good way to be funny. Maybe he doubles down and becomes a foxnews commentator. Maybe he just peaces out. Isn't any one of those realities better than the one we got?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

In a dark club a bald man sits smoking. The height of his career is well behind him, he walked away from it and has no regrets. It was the right decision for him. He now lives in a small town in the midwest where he can live his truth. This isn't a comeback tour, he's an elder statesman just doing the round. He's there to build up other comedians, to make the next generation. But it is his first time he's been in an American city with a population that can be measured in the millions in a while. He'd tested this act in Bishkek and he knew it would kill.

He opens, "I've been around a lot of places. Spent some time in the England, you may have heard about it" The audience laughs because there was a minor scandal while he was there -- a comedy of errors involving a sex worker's age. He takes a drag on his cigarette, "They call these things," he smokes again, "something I call a lot of people I met when I was in Hollywood. Live and let live but let's face it some of them are out there. I call them the El Gee Bee and then there are the Tees where they cut their . . ."

And in this alternate reality someone jumps on stage and slaps him in his mouth. Maybe he decides that isn't a good way to be funny. Maybe he doubles down and becomes a foxnews commentator. Maybe he just peaces out. Isn't any one of those realities better than the one we got?

There is literally nothing preventing this from happening right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

There is literally nothing preventing this from happening right now.

Actually there is. Maybe you’ve heard of it, it’s called FREEDOM OF SPEECH