Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

ruble recovering and Russia seems to be sticking to the april 1st 'no, seriously, pay us for gas in rubles' thing? Cool times ahead for Europe!

I don't understand this "pay us in rubles" thing. Doesn't this just result in inflation and devaluation of the ruble? Wouldn't they rather get paid in either Euros or dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They want a strong-man to swoop in and save the day, OP.

Z-man's cryptonite is posts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it creates an international market for rubles which means I guess the rubles relative strength is buoyed

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Remember the study the US made about it and said one of the agencies believed it was a russian weapon? Yeah it was them because even the CIA is saying it was crickets and bad seafood

lol, thanks, that's about what I assumed

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

radical meme posted:

I don't understand this "pay us in rubles" thing. Doesn't this just result in inflation and devaluation of the ruble? Wouldn't they rather get paid in either Euros or dollars?

If Europe has to buy a bunch of rubles on the currency exchanges to pay for natgas it will raise the relative worth of the ruble. Russian number go up

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximo Roboto posted:

How does the ubiquitous popularity of superhero movies square with your one-trend cultural analysis

begging for some superhuman to come fix things without upsetting the social order

see iron man, ceo with magic nanobots while poverty and violence in africa goes unchecked

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

OK baizuo posted:

If Europe has to buy a bunch of rubles on the currency exchanges to pay for natgas it will raise the relative worth of the ruble. Russian number go up

also because they'll be buying those rubles with euros or dollars, the Russian economy still gets a big injection of foreign currency, so it's a win-win

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if someone says they like batman or ironman you are free to call them a fascist

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the Russians don’t want euros or dollars because the Europeans or the US will clearly freeze those accounts when they feel like it. Honestly, the West has made a bit of a oopsie in a long-term.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Al-Saqr posted:

also, the ruble has almost completely recovered it’s value, which is absolutely insane and I don’t know how the hell the Russians are financially wizarding their way out of this

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1508446281982750720?s=21

are they probably doing that thing Turkey does by purchasing it’s own bonds to keep it stable? i wonder what the hell the Russian finance team is doing.
The west forgetting how the Petrodollar system works and shooting themselves in the dick is incredible to witness.

Russia still has lots of resources in high demand globally (oil and natural gas in particular, but plenty of other raw materials, fertilizer, wheat etc.) Forcing Russia to not trade those exports in dollars (as they can be stolen at any time) virtually guarantees that the dollar becomes less valuable relative to whatever they are trading in.

Just as the Saudis only selling oil for dollars was a huge source of international demand for dollars, the Ruble's value will now also be supported by demand for fossil fuels.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

radical meme posted:

No, because they cant use the money they get because of SWIFT and sanctions. They can use the money to trade with other countries that arent following the sanctions but that still props up the US economy and damages yours.

Someone posted the 3 scenarios that could happen if Europe still wants to buy gas from russia after the switch, and of course they can opt to not buy it sending themselves into a spiral.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
forcing people to buy your resource in a given currency both ensures you get paid the same amount every transaction and inflates whatever currency you pick keeping the relative value of being paid high/higher. opec choosing dollars is both in their own interest and in the interest of the american state - as such people threatening to denominate in alternate currencies is a threat to them both.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

also because we cut russia off from SWIFT i imagine buying roubles forces euro banks to start using their SPSF system and then we’re back to square one, this time russia running the system itself

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1508515705758621698?s=20&t=B8dW2D4qQ9DqfV6mcBAZOg

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1508398726099914756

I've always found the "tapped Russian calls" stories highly dubious but I'm just going to ignore them going forward lol

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
Been busy on my probe. Started a site. Check out www.thered.army I have my work on the kyiv independent there

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Kazakhstan To Use Ruble When Doing Business With Russia, Belarus

quote:

NUR-SULTAN -- Kazakhstan has decided to use Russian rubles for the payment of customs fees in bilateral trade after Western sanctions imposed on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine made it impossible to use other foreign currencies.

The Kazakh prime minister's office said on March 18 that the sanctions, which include blocking Russia from the SWIFT financial-transaction-messaging system, forced the move, though trade with Armenia and Kyrgyzstan, the other members of the Eurasian Economic Union, would continue to be carried out in U.S. dollars.

Earlier in the day, Russian Minister of Economic Development Maksim Reshetnikov said that the economic group's member states had agreed to gradually switch to Russian rubles in mutual trade operations.

Since we're talking about the ruble this is a good time to cross post this article I posted in the Eurasia thread. Kazakhstan is switching to using rubles in trade with Russia and Belarus. The rest of the EAEU (Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia) will begin a gradual shift to rubles within the bloc as well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is a big win for Ukraine, I'd take this immediately

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

sum posted:

I've always found the "tapped Russian calls" stories highly dubious but I'm just going to ignore them going forward lol

Things that definitely happened.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I can't believe how excited I am for the Jeb Zelensky campaign!

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Oct 26, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

sum posted:

Lmao this is some real "north Koreans are only allowed to choose from 5 haircuts" poo poo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The gap in PPP terms is not as severe (14k versus 29k) but clearly Ukraine has been doing worse since the 90s (including before 2014).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:one:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just like demilitarization can be done through direct action, so can denazification

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

russia shows its true colors now, pro-nazi

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

sum posted:

New "overheard at the hipster cafe" just dropped

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

radical meme posted:

only if every country already used rubles, the EU would have to spend dollars/euros to get rubles from Russia to give Russia rubles, it's a great scam and also why the dollar is so 'strong'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol loving hell. my professor on the foreign policy of the ussr class got so worked up about the invasion she assigned "gates of europe a history of ukraine" which is uhhh, extremely apologetic for ukrainian anti-semitism and the OUN

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I mean to be fair they did just kill a poo poo ton of Azov so maybe the problem is semi-solved to Russian leadership

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

An overheard Russian phone call revealed that Russian troops are amazed at the quality of Ukrainian genetics and the bravery and strength of foreign volunteers

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i just left a hipster coffee shop, and

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be fair they did just kill a poo poo ton of Azov so maybe the problem is semi-solved to Russian leadership

they should reconsider because the problem is much, much bigger than azov lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

sum posted:

every lib simultaneously believes russia is a hypersophisticated evil empire with its fingers in every global event and behind every tweet, and a nation of mud with one lone shack that putin and the kgb live in

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they should reconsider because the problem is much, much bigger than azov lol

I don't know how to tell you this but Russian leadership doesn't actually give a poo poo about Nazis and mainly care about the ones shooting them

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1508465158703796231?s=20&t=-WZSFGtBRNzbiOgdw3aqJw

Weird, they don't mention the Ukrainian negotiator who died of acute lead poisoning

lol hes really putting the spin on to make sure he remains in EU's good graces

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Seems like just a puff piece, anonymous sources only.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wow they propped up the Nazis more than anyone else by starting the war but now they conveniently are forgetting about them hmmmmm

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

sum posted:

Sergay

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

true believers clutching their pearls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Breakfast All Day posted:

every lib simultaneously believes russia is a hypersophisticated evil empire with its fingers in every global event and behind every tweet, and a nation of mud with one lone shack that putin and the kgb live in

Ur fascism.txt