Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What does a US$20k MSRP look like once you've got it home with plates and sales taxes paid?

Here for the equivalent US$20k (NZD$28k) i can choose a Kia Picanto, mid-range Rio, Mitsubishi Mirage, base ASX, base Seat Arona, base Ssangyong Tivoli, Suzuki Celerio, Ignis, Swift up to Hybrid, Baleno, base Jimny, base Toyota Yaris, base Haval Jolion (base is interestingly named 'Premium'!), an MG 3 or petrol MG ZS. But our pricing includes 15% GST and usually on-road costs.

MG3 looks good, will also probably get more features in the base level Haval than premium trim of other models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

Is that Yaris built by Mazda like the US Yaris? That's my pick.

No the Yaris is all Toyota. It's good too but you really want the hybrid and that's a bit more (although from next week you will get a rebate that will nearly make up the difference because it's in a low carbon band)

You can still get the Mazda 2 but it's kinda dated now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's a $40k car - you need to buy a second as a donor.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Also hilarious that the dealer raised the price after the ad article came out.

If it was a good deal, someone would have already bought it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Read about a new car? If it was a good deal someone else would have already bought it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

You could get a base Mazda2 for just under $28k NZD.

Base Polo is a little over

E. Base Jazz/Fit is $28,800 I'd choose that

Not sure how I missed them. Depending on spec, Rio, Swift, Ignis (I like how they look OK?) or Jazz would be my picks*, but I'm interested to see how the MG's fare. I know someone who bought one recently and they're cheap with good warranty and service included and seem to be pretty well put together from the brief look I had at it. They may not be the pieces of poo poo we all assume them to probably be?

*Well no they wouldn't be because I can buy far more car lightly used from Japan I'm no new car sucker.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

BuckyDoneGun posted:

base Haval Jolion

Wikipedia posted:

The Haval Jolion is based on the Lemon platform
:raise:

I'd stay away from 2017s, they're special snowflakes with all the first model year problems (especially infotainment)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm the $3000 dealer markup

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

On a Kia Forte :lol:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What a time to be alive

e: $695 prep lmao, for 5 mins of removing plastic and ASMR noises

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Russian Bear posted:

On a Kia Forte :lol:

A Kia Forte that apparently possesses no features, even.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Where did the $31k number cone from? The Kia USA website says the GT is $23,490 which does seem amazingly cheap (that'd be a $30k USD car in NZ anyway)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was on my Kia dealer's site the other day checking EV6's, and they all had a $5k markup regardless of trim level. E-mailed the guy I got the Stinger from and he said they're pretty firm on it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dissss posted:

Where did the $31k number cone from? The Kia USA website says the GT is $23,490 which does seem amazingly cheap (that'd be a $30k USD car in NZ anyway)

This is in Canada

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

davebo posted:

I was on my Kia dealer's site the other day checking EV6's, and they all had a $5k markup regardless of trim level. E-mailed the guy I got the Stinger from and he said they're pretty firm on it.

Could be worse, could be this EV6 markup!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

This is in Canada

That's still cheaper than a high spec Cerato in NZ then, even with the market. The Cerato (and Hyundai i30) are definitely not bargain priced here.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

smooth jazz posted:

I'm the $3000 dealer markup

Is it at least a manual?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's neither, as you can clearly see on the sticker. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea why would they put a transmission in a car with no engine :confused:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do cars even have CD players anymore?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Twerk from Home posted:

Of course, depending on the car. You could get a cassette player until 2011 in a town car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
They put my CD player in the glove box and I didn't notice it for months.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Inner Light posted:

What a time to be alive

e: $695 prep lmao, for 5 mins of removing plastic and ASMR noises

New idea:

$695 for pre-delivery prep
- OR -
$1395 and you can do the pre-delivery prep yourself while someone films you doing it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://pressroom.toyota.com/the-wait-is-over-toyota-to-debut-its-newest-gr-sports-car/

I hate announcements of announcements, but GR Corolla [probably] to be officially shown off this Thursday.

I've been thinking about replacing the FoRS with an F31 but I'm reluctant about used BMW ownership, and I can't really find a good answer as to how "worth it" the M Sport pack is -- but I think I'm just going to go this route unless there's something really dumb/bad about it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

https://pressroom.toyota.com/the-wait-is-over-toyota-to-debut-its-newest-gr-sports-car/

I hate announcements of announcements, but GR Corolla [probably] to be officially shown off this Thursday.

I've been thinking about replacing the FoRS with an F31 but I'm reluctant about used BMW ownership, and I can't really find a good answer as to how "worth it" the M Sport pack is -- but I think I'm just going to go this route unless there's something really dumb/bad about it.

Someone leaked all of Toyota's timelines and releases earlier this month and they had the GR Corolla shipping date in October, so definitely get a deposit down with a non lovely dealer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I did hear about the October release leak, yea. But it's nice to hear Toyota finally open their mouths about the car.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is there any protection for lovely dealer markup on preorders?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

Some Subarus do at least. My Impreza has one. My Kia does not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nohearum posted:

Not unless the manufacturer actually enforces it and even then it isn't likely to end well for an individual consumer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not unless the manufacturer actually enforces it and even then it isn't likely to end well for an individual consumer.

the manufacturer also can't really enforce, it's a MSRP or RRP or whatever. they can threaten vehicle allocation kinda but really, there aren't teeth to it at all.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nohearum posted:

There are in Canada, from what I've read online recently.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Sab669 posted:

There are in Canada, from what I've read online recently.

Most dealers I've spoken to from time to time have always told me the most they'll charge is MSRP and that they aren't allowed to mark up the vehicles.
Some of the usual suspects have the typical 400 dollar admin fee that was around even before the pandemic induced supply chain issues.

What do we know specifically about the GR Corolla's specs? Isn't a 3-Cyl turbo a really overworked and high strung engine that doesn't lend itself well to longevity or long term sustainable power?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn't a 3-Cyl turbo a really overworked and high strung engine that doesn't lend itself well to longevity or long term sustainable power?

you can't really tell this from any of the factors you've posted here. it could be wildly overbuilt.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kraftwerk posted:

Most dealers I've spoken to from time to time have always told me the most they'll charge is MSRP and that they aren't allowed to mark up the vehicles.
Some of the usual suspects have the typical 400 dollar admin fee that was around even before the pandemic induced supply chain issues.

What do we know specifically about the GR Corolla's specs? Isn't a 3-Cyl turbo a really overworked and high strung engine that doesn't lend itself well to longevity or long term sustainable power?

You'd think so but this is Toyota we're talking about.

Either way though I don't think the GR Yaris has been around long enough to get long-term reliability results.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Apex yaris gr grenaded the engine with a money shift but after that they seems to consider it acceptable compared to their bmw workhorses.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

Ford's shipping a bunch of them, including in the new Fiesta ST. I know that Jag has one, GM offers your choice of two separate 3-cyl turbos in a couple of vehicles.

The Ford 3-cyls are the only ones that I'm familiar with, and like the other Ecoboost engines they aren't really suited to high revving and make most of their torque pretty low. They're also iron blocks and built pretty stout, I haven't heard of them having the kind of head gasket problems that the Focus RS had, but they're also not turned up as hot.

They also have a lot of oil. My 1L 3-cyl takes 5 quarts of oil, and most of these turbo engines have the cooling capacity of something twice the displacement or more. If you cool it enough and build it strong, forced induction is magic.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

"Have faith in Toyoda, you must"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Toyota have made some self-grenading engines over the years, the 7M and whichever one was in the Mk3 MR2 which inhaled its own pre-cats come to mind. I'm not sure of any others. As a company they otherwise have a history of ridiculously well built engines which will run for all eternity despite abuse and lack of servicing.

I imagine people are beating the poo poo out of these little 3 cylinder engines in the Yaris so if they're fragile we'll soon know.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I just hate odd numbered engines. It can’t be THAT much more efficient than a 4-cyl, can it?

Why not a beefy 2-banger like ducatis? That could be cool! Anything but 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LibCrusher posted:

I just hate odd numbered engines. It can’t be THAT much more efficient than a 4-cyl, can it?

Why not a beefy 2-banger like ducatis? That could be cool! Anything but 3.

Having motorcycle service intervals and costs extrapolated out to a car is a no go for 99% of the population.